• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Hello everyone.

First off, we would like to make an apology for the error of linking that particular post. It was never one specific post that lead to the decision of brap’s ban but looking at his history with the site and the numerous warnings and bans we have given him over the years.

To be as transparent as we can, we have given brap 8 warnings, 4 reply bans, and 2 site bans within the past year, with numerous post deletions and edits as well.

Just a few of his more recent posts that we had to action against:

We had noticed a trend with brap’s recent actions having routinely gone over the line. As has been stated in the past, we are fine with joking around with some humorous and light-hearted jabs, however there was a clear escalation of vitriol and ever increasing and more prominent console warring posts that we could not ignore. We have discussed at length numerous times over the past year about what to do with the user and have reached out to him as many times. Sadly, these attempts to reach out, the warnings, and the bans seemed to have no real affect.

As stated in the ban message, it was a tough decision, but we believe we were more than fair with brap, but ultimately a perm was deemed necessary.

Tesseract

Banned
Hello everyone.

First off, we would like to make an apology for the error of linking that particular post. It was never one specific post that lead to the decision of brap’s ban but looking at his history with the site and the numerous warnings and bans we have given him over the years.

To be as transparent as we can, we have given brap 8 warnings, 4 reply bans, and 2 site bans within the past year, with numerous post deletions and edits as well.

We had noticed a trend with brap’s recent actions having routinely gone over the line. As has been stated in the past, we are fine with joking around with some humorous and light-hearted jabs, however there was a clear escalation of vitriol and ever increasing and more prominent console warring posts that we could not ignore. We have discussed at length numerous times over the past year about what to do with the user and have reached out to him as many times. Sadly, these attempts to reach out, the warnings, and the bans seemed to have no real affect.

As stated in the ban message, it was a tough decision, but we believe we were more than fair with brap, but ultimately a perm was deemed necessary.

understandable, i said this elsewhere but he was burning the third rail hard for quite some time

thanks for the explanation

Saber

Gold Member
Hello everyone.

The clarification its more than welcome.
I think we need this kind of actions for particular cases like that.

Saber

Gold Member
we do, they've been really good about that since the reboot

No, I mean, they clearly do that.

What I'm talking is in the ban page. Maybe the ban page could give the user a more detailed explanation for the resulting ban(something like "for full details, click here" followed by a detailed mod explanation). But only on expecific cases like that.

Tesseract

Banned
No, I mean, they clearly do that.

What I'm talking is in the ban page. Maybe the ban page could give the user a more detailed explanation for the resulting ban(something like "for full details, click here" followed by a detailed mod explanation). But only on expecific cases like that.

like a litany of offenses?

that might drudge up bad blood between users, but i'm no expert

Papa

Banned
Hello everyone.

That was all console war bullshit. Who gives a fuck? Just ban him from the gaming section. He was part of the greatest character comedy on the Internet right now and you just killed off Kramer.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Given that Brap is a beloved user here, literally top 10 of the entire site in reactions, isn’t there some kind of compromise we can come to?

He wants to be here. Your audience definitely wants him to be here. And I’m not so sure you don’t want him to be here.

When we’re dealing with somebody that even Nintendo fans (Brap’s often preferred banter target) love, obviously, things aren’t playing out quite as a simple console warrior/troll situation.

A permaban puts anybody on notice. The intent, and results of any future actions are clear. With that in mind, could you round down to a regular ban? If it doesn’t work out, okay, but I genuinely think this is worth a shot, and that it would.

I wouldn’t regularly say this, but I do think that any misgivings with a person should be weighed against their contributions (and to be fair to you guys, they obviously have). This is the definition of a special case. I think Brap has contributed enough enjoyment and friendship to all of us, to be worthy of a last chance, with the understanding of what will happen if it’s spent.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hello everyone.

Thanks for the explanation. He was already given preferential treatment before but may I ask why now? Thanks for being transparent and understanding.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wouldn’t regularly say this, but I do think that any misgivings with a person should be weighed against their contributions (and to be fair to you guys, they obviously have). This is the definition of a special case. I think Brap has contributed enough enjoyment and friendship to all of us, to be worthy of a last chance, with the understanding of what will happen if it’s spent.
I'm fine with giving him another chance. At what point though, does this approach start becoming "protected member" status where some get judged by a different set of standards than others?

Papa

Banned
I'm fine with giving him another chance. At what point though, does this approach start becoming "protected member" status where some get judged by a different set of standards than others?

I've never liked perms except in the case of spam or obvious shills. If a regular member keeps having moments of autism, just have rolling one month bans. There are bigger picture cultural implications for this and it will take a while for the chilling effect to thaw.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
True colours right here
Did you read his post? I like brap, even when he sperged out at me I never reported him because it was bant. He was getting better I asked why now for a reason.

Yeah that is what I was thinking as well.

What preferential treatment? You want people with preferential treatment that are still here or banned for 6-7 days? I can list them for you
Faust literally said that.

Mista

Banned
Faust literally said that.
I don’t care what anyone says. I’m here every damn day! I see them myself and if you don’t see them in the gaming section then thats a problem. We had cunts shit over the whole place after the PS5 specs reveal and every damn Xbox thread. Where are they? Here. Anyone that talks about “preferential treatment” I will gladly provide them with a list of people that are still here that should get braps treamtment. I am here everyday, don’t need anyone to tell me anything😂

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

That’s the thing though. Contributions aren’t forged equally.

Somebody that has brought enough joy to the site to have that sky-high of a reaction number is objectively one of the more valuable members on the site, and action against him deserves more thought (and the mods have been doing this) than somebody who hasn’t contributed much.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've never liked perms except in the case of spam or obvious shills. If a regular member keeps having moments of autism, just have rolling one month bans. There are bigger picture cultural implications for this and it will take a while for the chilling effect to thaw.
I never liked perms either. If each ban-worthy action results in increasingly longer bans anyway, troubled users eventually perm themselves with multiple years long bans.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t care what anyone says. I’m here every damn day! I see them myself and if you don’t see them in the gaming section then thats a problem. We had cunts shit over the whole place after the PS5 specs reveal and every damn Xbox thread. Where are they? Here. Anyone that talks about “preferential treatment” I will gladly provide them with a list of people that are still here that should get braps treamtment. I am here everyday, don’t need anyone to tell me anything😂
These guys have gotten banned before as well?
@SLoWMoTIoN You haven’t even read my post and reacted with a laugh? Sorry for wasting my time
I'm not a slow reader.

edit: I'd react with a uncomfortable reaction if I could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Mods are taking out long time shitposters?

rBUatOW.gif

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That’s the thing though. Contributions aren’t forged equally.

Somebody that has brought enough joy to the site to have that sky-high of a reaction number is objectively one of the more valuable members on the site, and action against him deserves more thought (and the mods have been doing this) than somebody who hasn’t contributed much.
I don't disagree with that, but unless I'm reading Faust's explanation wrong, it would seem that the vitriol and console warring brought enough "anti-joy" to others to tip the scales and warrant action.

Mista

Banned
I don't disagree with that, but unless I'm reading Faust's explanation wrong, it would seem that the vitriol and console warring brought enough "anti-joy" to others to tip the scales and warrant action.
But it was okay a couple of weeks ago when I was complaining about it. Because I knew the end result, I knew it very well.

Anything for activity I guess until someone keeps hitting the report button even with their toes

And then you have this useless new rule that wasn't applied and changed nothing. The shitshow kept on rolling

Sorry that I am honest and I am not sorry if it will get me into shit

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
Bummer! I like brap. I don't think he should be perm'd to be honest. Just ban him more or ban him from gaming for awhile. Granted I don't much talk like he does but those posts didn't bother me at all. He talks like an asshole but alot of people still like him. Why is that? It's probably because everyone knows he's not a bad guy. Just my random opinion.

Bummer! I like brap. I don't think he should be perm'd to be honest. Just ban him more or ban him from gaming for awhile. Granted I don't much talk like he does but those posts didn't bother me at all. He talks like an asshole but alot of people still like him. Why is that? It's probably because everyone knows he's not a bad guy. Just my random opinion.
He's a likeable asshole. Same thing with Paulie Walnuts. He's a mean asshole but everyone still likes him.

Jesus a perm? Cmon he's a popular user and quite loved by the community, That's harsh.
Maybe a month ban? I mean the world as we know it is ending, whole world is in lockdown, what's he gonna do without gaf?
#freeElBrepe
"Quite loved by the community" is a bit of an exaggeration, to be fair. He makes some funny posts for sure but even EviLore brought up how he was increasingly testing the waters with his posts the last time he was banned. Honestly, it's unfortunate that he was banned but it's not exactly surprising either.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Have you been to the politics section?
"Quite loved by the community" is a bit of an exaggeration, to be fair. He makes some funny posts for sure but even EviLore brought up how he was increasingly testing the waters with his posts the last time he was banned. Honestly, it's unfortunate that he was banned but it's not exactly surprising either.
Wait when did he say that.

Kadayi

Banned

Very much in agreement with this. Perms should only be for spam and utterly irredeemable shit. Bans should just roll with a years redemption period. So if you get banned say for 2 weeks and you earn another within that year then you get a month, then 3 months, then 6 months, and then a full year.

It's not an exaggeration. He is very loved on GAF.
The problem seems to be in the gaming section. So they could ban him from there for a certain amount of time. A perm is too harsh.
Perm is for some straight up disgusting stuff, but not for this, imo.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It's not an exaggeration. He is very loved on GAF.
The problem seems to be in the gaming section. So they could ban him from there for a certain amount of time. A perm is too harsh.
Perm is for some straight up disgusting stuff, but not for this, imo.
If what mista is saying is correct all of these perm bans from the gaming side seem very biased.

edit: or rash

edit: richard stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom