• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Is it me or i'm seeing a lot of banned people in the last days?!

Almost every discussion has at least a banned person.

Is the time of the year when trolling fanboys came out or what?
They're always out. However, this year started with talk of the new consoles and this Summer marked the previews of those consoles. There have also been a lot of bait threads getting locked because people are already on the plastic defensive and these consoles haven't even hit the shelves yet. Expect it to be like this until 2021. It's a tough job modding through all of that but with expectations for the Next-Gen Speculation thread dying down after the launches, that may cause the number of bans to go down slightly. Once people have the physical product, they've used it, the brand / company clearly states what it does; there's not much to speculate on other than future titles. We saw a string of bans from this past Summer with the competition of TLOU2 vs. GoT. There was a new thread on either one of those games nearly everyday. So, the next-gen console threads will continue to pile up well into the following year...as will the idiots who are defending console A or B.

Hmm...who's defending or warring over option C (the Atari VCS)? :messenger_crying:

GymWolf

Gold Member
They're always out. However, this year started with talk of the new consoles and this Summer marked the previews of those consoles. There have also been a lot of bait threads getting locked because people are already on the plastic defensive and these consoles haven't even hit the shelves yet. Expect it to be like this until 2021. It's a tough job modding through all of that but with expectations for the Next-Gen Speculation thread dying down after the launches, that may cause the number of bans to go down slightly. Once people have the physical product, they've used it, the brand / company clearly states what it does; there's not much to speculate on other than future titles. We saw a string of bans from this past Summer with the competition of TLOU2 vs. GoT. There was a new thread on either one of those games nearly everyday. So, the next-gen console threads will continue to pile up well into the following year...as will the idiots who are defending console A or B.

Hmm...who's defending or warring over option C (the Atari VCS)? :messenger_crying:
Seems legit.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Is it me or i'm seeing a lot of banned people in the last days?!

Almost every discussion has at least a banned person.

Is the time of the year when trolling fanboys came out or what?

Accumulation to the point where mod action was a foregone conclusion, from my perspective.

As I said earlier, crappy behavior attracts more people with that crappy behavior. More and more people were signing up just to fight console wars, existing people were just doubling down even harder, and the tone of the entirety of Gaming Side was shifting to that, with reasonable voices drowned out.

cormack12

Gold Member
You're not seeing things. There definitely has been a lot of users getting torched.

DishonestSomberDromedary-size_restricted.gif

I love seeing all the "it was just a joke" posts from users who have clearly gotten too comfortable sitting in the Next Gen thread posting tweets from randoms about XSX and getting into a tizzy about a different plastic box. The complacency of console warriors in that thread bitching about Phil Spencer, Dwarf Fortress and a discord group instead of actually speculating about technology or games reached its boiling point months ago.

Accumulation to the point where mod action was a foregone conclusion, from my perspective.

As I said earlier, crappy behavior attracts more people with that crappy behavior. More and more people were signing up just to fight console wars, existing people were just doubling down even harder, and the tone of the entirety of Gaming Side was shifting to that, with reasonable voices drowned out.
It also sucks out the enjoyment of just discussing about games and game platforms. The Craig meme was funny and still is, but like all jokes, they become stale when overused to oblivion.

You're not seeing things. There definitely has been a lot of users getting torched.
Every one of them has prior warnings for console warring. Actually multiple warnings... and individual thread bans... and personal contacts asking them to chill out. But the actions kill threads and derail them. Discourage others from posting.

I personally hope that people tone it down a bit. I hate seeing people gone forever.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Frankly I avoid the next gen thread. It may have served a better purpose a year ago as people were speculating on what MSFT and SNE would do. It just feels like a quarantine zone for console warriors. Comparing and contrasting strategy and talking about market reception is great, healthy, and interesting conversation. The whole "My console is better than your console" charade is just sad and generally makes it hard to have any sort of discussion.

The whole conception that Console A selling more means console B loses is myopic. This fantasy of one console crushing competition and driving them out of the industry is ultimately is a wish for an industry without competition and innovation.

Console warring was leaking out of the next gen thread and the bans are helping keep the general threads healthier.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Some of the name-calling I hear about the DF crew like John Litterman and Alex Battalion give me a chuckle, but the personal insults are becoming too much.
Best thing to do is simply not take anything on the forum personally. No one here really knows the person behind an avatar 🤐

Didn't know so many of my fellow Xbox gaffers frequent this thread. The more you know. Just like the more journalist talk....

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I already digged enough and hit the jackpot. It only took me 4 posts, counting the last one on this subject, found on another thread. A lot of lessons learned, it just wasn't me who was actually learning.
Expose these crooked mods. It's about time someone did. And if they keep denying any wrong doing, don't give up like LED Guy? LED Guy? (rip in peace) did, just whoop that ass via PMs.

Hey mods, #TimesUp

Last edited:

nush

I already digged enough and hit the jackpot. It only took me 4 posts, counting the last one on this subject, found on another thread. A lot of lessons learned, it just wasn't me who was actually learning.

Mods better stop banning people for "Console battling" or their ass is going to be shown! #Timesupmods

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Know what funny? This thread is kept even though it’s complete bullshit, but the mods actually locked a thread by Digital Foundry yesterday because DF dared to equate the PS5 GPU to a RTX 2060 S. Sony fans got mad for some reason, the thread was locked.

Unbelievable that it wasn’t called out either.

This is incorrect. What you have done here is saw a thread was closed, made a story up in your head that fits your perception and then presented it as fact. Unless you have strong and irrefutable evidence/proof this was the case? Which I assume you do have, to speak so factually and with such certainty.

Allow me to enlighten you with the actual truth. The thread was started with another clickbait topic headline - crafted to get people in to dispute and argue over something that was never claimed. If you read further down the thread, this is not about equating component performance, it is about setting a comparison benchmark for their tests which will be subject to change when they get actual games to test. That headline isn't really as grabby thought is it - "PS5 will be benchmarked against 2060 S in DF tests". Furthermore the source of the clickbait was a user who has actually had disingenuous threads locked before to start fighting, for example this:

I'd suggest a lot of you start calming down and focus more on the actual nuance of articles and stop rushing to quickly fashion a headline that is not reflective of the story in order to start little fires/score points. This will be happening more and more, and I suggest both Xbox and Playstation fans hold each other to higher standards, and not turn blind eyes to certain topics because it's beneficial to your side. As long as topics are started in good faith and people are discussing them maturely, they will remain open, however contentious. Deliberately reframing the nuance of the story, or trying to craft an inciteful 'topic headline' is likely to get it locked. This behaviour seems to have been on the up, various people have, at times, tried to hide behind such weak excuses as 'but it's the article headline', or using contextualisation and saying 'it's part of the quote'. The time to wind it down, is now.

This is incorrect. What you have done here is saw a thread was closed, made a story up in your head that fits your perception and then presented it as fact. Unless you have strong and irrefutable evidence/proof this was the case? Which I assume you do have, to speak so factually and with such certainty.

Allow me to enlighten you with the actual truth. The thread was started with another clickbait topic headline - crafted to get people in to dispute and argue over something that was never claimed. If you read further down the thread, this is not about equating component performance, it is about setting a comparison benchmark for their tests which will be subject to change when they get actual games to test. That headline isn't really as grabby thought is it - "PS5 will be benchmarked against 2060 S in DF tests". Furthermore the source of the clickbait was a user who has actually had disingenuous threads locked before to start fighting, for example this:

I'd suggest a lot of you start calming down and focus more on the actual nuance of articles and stop rushing to quickly fashion a headline that is not reflective of the story in order to start little fires/score points. This will be happening more and more, and I suggest both Xbox and Playstation fans hold each other to higher standards, and not turn blind eyes to certain topics because it's beneficial to your side. As long as topics are started in good faith and people are discussing them maturely, they will remain open, however contentious. Deliberately reframing the nuance of the story, or trying to craft an inciteful 'topic headline' is likely to get it locked. This behaviour seems to have been on the up, various people have, at times, tried to hide behind such weak excuses as 'but it's the article headline', or using contextualisation and saying 'it's part of the quote'. The time to wind it down, is now.

Can I ask why this thread is allowed “in good faith” when the very source of this info came out to say he was misrepresented?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom