• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
XfHWk5h.gif
Wtf

Leyasu

Banned
Nice to see things getting a little stricter on here.

Although, the COVID thread in off topic has been totally hijacked and turned into a shit-hole conspiracy anti-vax/anti-mask/"it's just seasonal" thread and should be nuked. Then restart it, and moderate so that people can share info, without having to battle the same people on every page.

Nuke the politics sub. It is terrible.

And please get tougher in the gaming section. Fanboys on both sides stricken nearly every thread. Most days the front page is a celebration of fanboyism

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
Damn, I had to step away to work for a week without browsing GAF much and I missed the big nukening it seems. Just my 2 cents:

1. Overdue. Yes, hate me if you will, but Politics needed a cleansing for a long time and if it took such a vile act to trigger changes - so be it, but it's a bit of a shame it had to escalate to such degree. And yes, some of those posters were prolific and were around for a long time but what's the point if 90% of it was garbage and Tweet-threads about right-wing conspiracy theories that consistently fail to materialise or worse - showed GAF as a community in a very different light from what the majority in Gaming and OT is, giving fodder to ERA and other communities to shun the site altogether? I can respect a person with a clear stance be it progressive or conservative but sometimes a spade is a spade: what was actually happening is the right-wing-reee circle-jerk. You can tolerate it, laugh at it, try to reason - but I'm not sad to see it go.

2. Sad. Ok well, maybe I am just a bit sad that discourse seems to be temporarily stifled and people who I know disagree with me on different topics but are a reasonable and intelligent lot are afraid and uncertain.. I know that most people in politics pin me as some kind of leftist but I do not see myself that way and I hope that especially in view of latest bans we don't lose some of that right-wing sensible posting as it's important to debate without fear of repercussion. We need some time to reassess and reevaluate some fringe stances, mostly right-wing (because we already do a good job of getting rid of fringe left-wing stances to be clear) but globally I hope the debate is not stifled and people who stick around can express their view in OT, Gaming or Politics as long as it's justified and reasonable with confidence as debate is important.

3. Politics section should stay. Both as a separate from Off-Topic but also given a chance to breathe and start new conversations. This is an end of many things but also an opportunity to do better, raise the level of discussion. I think overall it's pretty clear that be it social media, lockdowns or just the rise of populism (and they are all correlated for sure) - the discussion has become polarized and unhealthy be it from left-wing zealots who scream Nazi at a sight of a white-cis-male-privilege or a 20-year old joke on Twittter or right-wing conspiracies about racism not being a problem and world succumbing to the wave of wokeness making us sheep through Covid vaccination. Clearly, this creates a gap in the middle where opinions clash too hard and people get alienated in two camps at war. This doesn't have to be this way - surely we can debate, agree of disagree in a way that doesn't immediately paint the other side as SJW-naive-warrior or Nazi-supremacist-gun-lover? I look forward to seeing GAF coming out stronger from this and maybe short-term lose some steam but getting better for it.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Damn, I had to step away to work for a week without browsing GAF much and I missed the big nukening it seems. Just my 2 cents:

1. Overdue. Yes, hate me if you will, but Politics needed a cleansing for a long time and if it took such a vile act to trigger changes - so be it, but it's a bit of a shame it had to escalate to such degree. And yes, some of those posters were prolific and were around for a long time but what's the point if 90% of it was garbage and Tweet-threads about right-wing conspiracy theories that consistently fail to materialise or worse - showed GAF as a community in a very different light from what the majority in Gaming and OT is, giving fodder to ERA and other communities to shun the site altogether? I can respect a person with a clear stance be it progressive or conservative but sometimes a spade is a spade: what was actually happening is the right-wing-reee circle-jerk. You can tolerate it, laugh at it, try to reason - but I'm not sad to see it go.

2. Sad. Ok well, maybe I am just a bit sad that discourse seems to be temporarily stifled and people who I know disagree with me on different topics but are a reasonable and intelligent lot are afraid and uncertain.. I know that most people in politics pin me as some kind of leftist but I do not see myself that way and I hope that especially in view of latest bans we don't lose some of that right-wing sensible posting as it's important to debate without fear of repercussion. We need some time to reassess and reevaluate some fringe stances, mostly right-wing (because we already do a good job of getting rid of fringe left-wing stances to be clear) but globally I hope the debate is not stifled and people who stick around can express their view in OT, Gaming or Politics as long as it's justified and reasonable with confidence as debate is important.

3. Politics section should stay. Both as a separate from Off-Topic but also given a chance to breathe and start new conversations. This is an end of many things but also an opportunity to do better, raise the level of discussion. I think overall it's pretty clear that be it social media, lockdowns or just the rise of populism (and they are all correlated for sure) - the discussion has become polarized and unhealthy be it from left-wing zealots who scream Nazi at a sight of a white-cis-male-privilege or a 20-year old joke on Twittter or right-wing conspiracies about racism not being a problem and world succumbing to the wave of wokeness making us sheep through Covid vaccination. Clearly, this creates a gap in the middle where opinions clash too hard and people get alienated in two camps at war. This doesn't have to be this way - surely we can debate, agree of disagree in a way that doesn't immediately paint the other side as SJW-naive-warrior or Nazi-supremacist-gun-lover? I look forward to seeing GAF coming out stronger from this and maybe short-term lose some steam but getting better for it.
1. Some of the posters that got nuked I don't really see as those kinds of posters though. (Others definitely are/were.)

2. My main concern. We'll have to see how it plays out. As I said in the 'new rules' thread I don't like the nebulousness of what is 'fringe'. "Steele Dossier is bullshit" would probably be considered fringe/conspiracy if the current rules were in place at that time. How would posting and discussing the NY Post coverage of the Hunter Biden scandal have been handled if thiese rulres were in place at that time? Just two examples.

3. Yes, it should definitely stay. It was brought in for good reasons which are still valid, even after 'the purge'. As for the COVID stuff, I'm hoping that criticizing people with 'coronaphobia' is still allowed since I'm sure shitting on people who "don't take it seriously enough" will never be bannable.

Super Mario Super Mario : Already talked about in this thread.

Wait, Super Mario is gone? Fuck. Missed that one. RIP in peace brother.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
2. My main concern. We'll have to see how it plays out. As I said in the 'new rules' thread I don't like the nebulousness of what is 'fringe'. "Steele Dossier is bullshit" would probably be considered fringe/conspiracy if the current rules were in place at that time. How would posting and discussing the NY Post coverage of the Hunter Biden scandal have been handled if thiese rulres were in place at that time? Just two examples.
Those were handled with the rules appropriately at the time of their prevalence

The rules have changed, so they're now being handled with the new rules appropriately

We can dote on the past all we would like, or we could look to the future and start making steps forwards towards that

PhoenixTank

elektrokats elektrokats : Banned for a mild critique (unless he asked for a ban elsewhere or something)
Would somewhat agree - might be a little heavy handed on this one if it was just that response. EL even liked the post?
The tone is a bit aggressive but not full on like some of the attacks on GAF. Era thread is still there... but they aren't. One to look at when the dust settles?

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Some of these members just shouldn't have gotten temps, let alone the perms they caught, and I would be very suspicious of any mod or staff member involved in some of these decisions. I am all for tightening up Politics and precluding the Lin Wood/Sidney Powell type threads but when I click on a lot of these posts provided on the ban page, it's just not anything to do with that. Some of them expressly say the opposite of the reason they got banned in the very same post. This feels a lot like the same mod activity we saw in 2016 and 2017 and it's a very ominous feeling, as if the entire GAF comeback is now being squandered.

I was already scaling back from Politics as it is but now some of my favorite posters from off topic and community threads aren't here anymore. I'll still mess with gaming but my interest is actively dwindling. I hope some of the feedback here and in Meta is being considered and some kind of review of recent moderation will be carried out.

prag16

Banned
The rules have changed, so they're now being handled with the new rules appropriately
My question is how would those two particular topics (just as examples, probably not the only ones) have been handled if the CURRENT rules had been in place back when those topics were initially in the news. It's relevant imo, and it isn't irrationally dwelling on the past to want it answered.
"at the time."
Indeed.

ManofOne

Plus Member
"NeoGAF is a forum for holding civil, evidence-based discussion. Do not post disingenuously, or in an inflammatory manner for the sole purpose of upsetting others. Negative commentary and minority opinions are not frowned upon, but members are expected to be able to substantiate their positions. At the same time, do not derail threads around yourself or attempt to respond to every single reaction among dozens after posting a comment that is reacted to severely en masse."

And then you add conspiracy stuff. Articles from the NY Posts aren't conspiracy and would have the same equivalency as something from the Daily Mail. They're just asking for some due diligence before you post something. If you're going to post Lin Wood (who has a track record is known for being wrong and inflammatory),then of course you're going to be banned. You don't need to be the first to rush and post a story. Just wait and let the story be fact checked or gain some traction at-least.

As for personal opinion threads or comments on serious topics, e.g I think the COVID-Vaccine is tainted, then post your opinion as to why and link so facts to it (not from some random 4chan user). The flow of information is prominent enough almost any one could make a viable argument.

That's my take.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
when I click on a lot of these posts provided on the ban page, it's just not anything to do with that. Some of them expressly say the opposite of the reason they got banned in the very same post.
Are you sure about that? What are the most glaring examples, in your opinion?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
"at the time."
"At the time", there was still a legit case that the dossier wasn't reliable given that it didn't have enough strong evidence vouching for its reliability. Each case should be considered on its own merits, and not just lumped into "conspiracy" just because that's what the other side calls it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Schrodinger and Liberty gone?

Figured they’d be able to rein it in a bit. Found them both insufferable personally, but you couldn’t fault their commitment to making a point or an argument.

Edit - ok, yikes. July 4th is not like January 6th. He’d probably retract that at a different time. I think things will be calmer after Biden’s been shuffling around The West Wing for a month or two.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"At the time", there was still a legit case that the dossier wasn't reliable given that it didn't have enough strong evidence vouching for its reliability. Each case should be considered on its own merits, and not just lumped into "conspiracy" just because that's what the other side calls it.

I dunno, man. At the time (and obviously the culture of the forum was quite different back then), suggesting that the dossier may not be credible would definitely have gotten you dogpiled and probably banned as a Trump support.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I dunno, man. At the time (and obviously the culture of the forum was quite different back then), suggesting that the dossier may not be credible would definitely have gotten you dogpiled and probably banned as a Trump support.
Not accurate. I did it all the time.

I did get dogpiled though.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
My question is how would those two particular topics (just as examples, probably not the only ones) have been handled if the CURRENT rules had been in place back when those topics were initially in the news. It's relevant imo, and it isn't irrationally dwelling on the past to want it answered.
To play the what if game is dangerous, however, here's my 2 cents on that

If these rules would have been in place back then, the moderation would solely be based upon the life experiences of the owner and moderators at that time, which is only speculation and not factual, even if we were to ask them directly and them give what they believe to be how they would handle it, it would only be a good approximation

People change over time, and so do rules; the fact moderation exists doesn't change, the rules and the operators can change, for internal reasons (operations, PR, profitability, etc) or for external ones (Laws, regulations, technical changes, etc)

tillbot8

Banned
Schrodinger and Liberty gone?

Figured they’d be able to rein it in a bit. Found them both insufferable personally, but you couldn’t fault their commitment to making a point or an argument.

Edit - ok, yikes. July 4th is not like January 6th. He’d probably retract that at a different time. I think things will be calmer after Biden’s been shuffling around The West Wing for a month or two.
I'm sure the feeling was mutual... except for the second part

elektrokats elektrokats : Banned for a mild critique (unless he asked for a ban elsewhere or something)

Ixiah Ixiah : Banned for election fraud comment. Tame compared to some of the stuff being thrown around and the posters that seem to be trolling/ban fishing

Super Mario Super Mario : Already talked about in this thread.

Alright, let's do this MYTHBUSTERS style:

@eletrokats got the can for this:

Eh this thread was the whole reason I came back here in the first place. Sacrificing users and discussions for the sake of what you percieve as the "greater good" is kind of what got you into this situation in the first place imo. Not sure if I support valuing content over discussion. Oh well, still lots of other good forums to contribute too though. If this thread goes, so do I unfortunately. There is a line and I think you're crossing it slightly for a lot of folks here.

That read as a farewell letter, "sacrificing users" is not MILD critique though.

Ixiah Ixiah ate the hammer for this:

Yeah......81 Million, more than for Obama, because Biden just oozes Charisma...
But hey, when Courts refuse to see any evidence at all, when the Clown Media say objection against this election is
dangerous(but not with the 2016 one), everything is totaly legit.
Of course by that logic Al Capone is also just a Tax Evader, not a murderer, because he was never convicted as one.....
And he spoke out against BLM riots ?
He didnt, doesnt matter if he did, when Trump condemning White Supremacy for over 25 times means he didnt, then the same should apply to biden.
/s

Conspiracy theory, low tier one at that. "The cours refuse to see any evidence" is factually not true and equating that to Al Capone is bollocks, dude earned it. Maybe not a perm, but then again I'm speaking as a user.

Super Mario was a bit harsh though. Not completely unfair, just harsh. Personally I think these bans could have been a month off, not perm. But to say they were for wrongthink isn't exactly true either.

sobaka770

Banned
1. Some of the posters that got nuked I don't really see as those kinds of posters though. (Others definitely are/were.)

3. Yes, it should definitely stay. It was brought in for good reasons which are still valid, even after 'the purge'. As for the COVID stuff, I'm hoping that criticizing people with 'coronaphobia' is still allowed since I'm sure shitting on people who "don't take it seriously enough" will never be bannable.

Wait, Super Mario is gone? Fuck. Missed that one. RIP in peace brother.

1. For sure. Some people were given ample opportunities and warning and some were maybe dealt with too hastily. This thread is here so that maybe the 10-20% of bans can shortened or overturned for people who are reasonable.
2. I think NY Post is an okay source to start the conversation. The question is for a lot of political threads outside of dubious sources: what is the framing. are you coming to post in good faith or to start a bias shit-throwing competition? It's hard to start discussing something when the thread title is: Senile Joe is at it again or SJW gets what they deserve or smth like that. Hunter Biden laptop is a valid story overall - but maybe a good idea is for such ongoing things is to have a single thread like we ended up for all post-election litigations and maybe less sensationalist titles allowing everyone to come in without preparing for a fistfight?

I'd rather live and let live when possible, sobaka. Forcibly changing the landscape and culture of an entire section of the forum was not something done lightly.

I saw your approach and I understand your stance. You've been running this community for a long time and have a lot of experience and patience regarding all this.
On GAF some rules are simple: don't antagonise other members, don't post nudes, don't be racist etc etc. Some others, political in nature are harder to gauge, do you defend right to free speech to it's full extent, do you go full ERA that we mock so much - what is the balance that is right for the community? Ultimately you make a call on a spectrum of what's permissible or not. I would say again that from what I see we're quick and efficient in banning needy, zealous, Resetera types, which is understandable with the experience of exodus, betrayal and the worst of left-wing cancelling and name-calling. I also saw much more lenience to the other side of the spectrum because maybe there was no real negative experience from that group that necessitated action so far.
I am of mind that every right has a corresponding responsibility. When people claim the right of free speech here or on Twitter or any other social circle (which GAF falls into) I don't see it like people in USA, I have to weigh it against responsibilities it entails because passing it all on listener/reader is observably an impossible proposition just from information, education and other gaps between different people.
In any case, to my understanding you set a new line of rules a week or two ago and gave everyone a chance to adhere. So to my mind - that was fair even to posters, who in my personal opinion, wrote irresponsible overly biased FUD - they got a chance to adjust or stop posting. It was harsh but I think you now have a good balance of rules for both far-left and far-right edges. Maybe in a few days or weeks we can come back and see if some bans were reactionary but mostly we need to move forward and make the most of the new rules.

ManofOne

Plus Member
zz2qsrM.jpg

What happened here? Did Liberty4all ask for a ban? and SC could his ban be temporary ? I think people are getting caught in the crossfire here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zz2qsrM.jpg

What happened here? Did Liberty4all ask for a ban? and SC could his ban be temporary ? I think people are getting caught in the crossfire here.

More like crosshairs... I disagreed with both of those guys a lot, but still sad to see them banned. Still, as soon as this culture shift was put into motion, it was incredibly clear that their days were numbered.

Last edited by a moderator:

prag16

Banned
Was the the perm for Schrödinger’s cat necessary? He had some of the most well thought out posts I’ve ever seen here.
I personally wouldn't have equated 1/6 to 7/4.

But regarding the comments on "being banned for wrongthink"; Super Mario's ban for example certainly comes across that way. I too hope that cooler heads can prevail, and that some of these bans get reduced from permanent.

sobaka770

Banned
zz2qsrM.jpg

That's some serious sniping. Don't know about SC, had him on ignore. Liberty4All seemed like a chill poster in gaming but he also posted a lot of very very conspiracy-like theories for Trump win after the election, including EC Jan 6 upset of "unfaithful electors". And he actually believed all this so I am unfortunately not surprised. I assume he requested a ban as he did post very recently in this thread.

prag16

Banned
That's some serious sniping. Don't know about SC, had him on ignore. Liberty4All seemed like a chill poster in gaming but he also posted a lot of very very conspiracy-like theories for Trump win after the election, including EC Jan 6 upset of "unfaithful electors". And he actually believed all this so I am unfortunately not surprised. I assume he requested a ban as he did post very recently in this thread.
His final post was Friday night, stating that he would take a month off to cool his jets, and then return. Makes me wonder if something else happened for him to get banned seemingly out of the blue a few days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom