• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

I really wanna get a cheap old mirrorless so I can feel more confident giving recommendations.

They're really cheap so they seem like great starter cameras for someone not used to using a viewfinder. You still get all the manual settings and good IQ with a large-ish sensor.

I wish I had first hand experience with all the cameras I comment about, but I wasn't born rich lol. Thankfully once you get enough knowledge about camera technology is pretty easy, at least for me, to see the tradeoffs among different models, manufacturers. I can't give a first hand report, but I can make a reasonable informed comment, and identify it as such.

Also as with most things, the cream always raises to the top. It's pretty easy to find which cameras have the consensus of being the best at the moment. You tend to see them mention again and again in different forums, blogs, youtube, etc.

I wish I had first hand experience with all the cameras I comment about, but I wasn't born rich lol. Thankfully once you get enough knowledge about camera technology is pretty easy, at least for me, to see the tradeoffs among different models, manufacturers. I can't give a first hand report, but I can make a reasonable informed comment, and identify it as such.

Also as with most things, the cream always raises to the top. It's pretty easy to find which cameras have the consensus of being the best at the moment. You tend to see them mention again and again in different forums, blogs, youtube, etc.
You know a camera isn't doing something right when it's heavily derided or said to be step back from the previous model. I don't like all the youtubers, but I try to listen to enough of them and form an opinion about something that way.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You know a camera isn't doing something right when it's heavily derided or said to be step back from the previous model. I don't like all the youtubers, but I try to listen to enough of them and form an opinion about something that way.

6D Mark II dig?

Ty4on

One thing that is kinda hard to quantify is speed and af performance. That's also one place where you have to compare to other models so if every mirrorless kinda sucked at it back in 2010 reviewers probably aren't going to focus too much on it because it doesn't stand out.

I find that with reviewers it can be kinda hard to get the right info out of them because most cameras are decent so most of them are reviewed kinda the same way. D5whatever (consumer level D5XXX, not the D5 lol) reviews are really boring when what consumers for that camera should know is its pro is good tracking AF and a flippy screen, but Sony and Pentax have stabilized sensor, Pentax has WR and dual dials, Canon has better video, mirrorless are smaller etc etc. Lot's of people coming in wanna know which has the best image quality, but it's really the same on all of them (technique is way more important) and which is easiest to use kinda depends on how you like your camera.

I wanna get a real feel for how usable an old and cheap MFT camera is because they seem like decent entry level options. Seems like you can get camera and kit lens for like 200 bucks which is one hell of a deal and smartphone camera users don't mind using the rear screen and getting "just" 300 pictures per charge.
Way better image quality than any 200$ compact camera and proper manual mode to teach them photography.

RuGalz

I wanna get a real feel for how usable an old and cheap MFT camera is because they seem like decent entry level options. Seems like you can get camera and kit lens for like 200 bucks which is one hell of a deal and smartphone camera users don't mind using the rear screen and getting "just" 300 pictures per charge.
Way better image quality than any 200$ compact camera and proper manual mode to teach them photography.

If you have an older/cheaper phone without PDAF, or newer ones and use area outside of PDAF pixels, then that's similar speed as older MFT in terms of AF performance. Phone may still be faster in this case because it has larger DOF.

Ty4on

If you have an older/cheaper phone without PDAF, or newer ones and use area outside of PDAF pixels, then that's similar speed as older MFT in terms of AF performance. Phone may still be faster in this case because it has larger DOF.
lol, I'm 99.99% sure my Nexus 4 is not representative. Not only is it sloooow, but once you gain focus it tries to refocus.

Everyone, I'm getting cold feet lol. Now looking over the D5300 again just to make sure. I know both would be great options, but I'm just doubting the indoor/lower light performance of the Olympus - even though I am seeing it can hold it's own, even if a prime lens is needed.

I know travel-wise, it would likely be an easier option. Then the price difference.... Ugh. Is it always this hard?

Ty4on

Everyone, I'm getting cold feet lol. Now looking over the D5300 again just to make sure. I know both would be great options, but I'm just doubting the indoor/lower light performance of the Olympus - even though I am seeing it can hold it's own, even if a prime lens is needed.

I know travel-wise, it would likely be an easier option. Then the price difference.... Ugh. Is it always this hard?
Yeah, I know the feeling well :p

Indoor wise the Olympus has a stabilized sensor do you can use a fast prime lens indoors. On Nikon you'd need a stabilized prime for that and those are really rare.

You can't get an X-T1 or X-T10 used? Smaller than the D5300 and same sensor size. The MP's are less, but they're still pretty good cameras.

You can't get an X-T1 or X-T10 used? Smaller than the D5300 and same sensor size. The MP's are less, but they're still pretty good cameras.

I tried the XT20 (which I figured would be similar enough), because that is what the store had, but I didn't really like it. I liked the Olympus that much more as far as controls were concerned. And from all of the reviews I tried to find online, it seemed the Olympus regularly edged it out performance-wise. Although I see that some of that could be due to lenses, etc. rather than pure sensor capability.

I learned from an early age that MPs aren't everything, so that doesn't deter me too much on 15-16MP vs 20+, etc. I doubt I'll be blowing up photos anytime soon for printing. The price comment was just because I was seeing D5300s with two lenses going for right around $500. While that $500 would get me one lens with the Olympus.

I tried the XT20 (which I figured would be similar enough), because that is what the store had, but I didn't really like it. I liked the Olympus that much more as far as controls were concerned. And from all of the reviews I tried to find online, it seemed the Olympus regularly edged it out performance-wise. Although I see that some of that could be due to lenses, etc. rather than pure sensor capability.

I learned from an early age that MPs aren't everything, so that doesn't deter me too much on 15-16MP vs 20+, etc. I doubt I'll be blowing up photos anytime soon for printing.
It lacks a major dial in my opinion. The Fuji layout does take some getting used to, but it's not bad. It's definitely a layout you have to use a good amount before you get used to it. Also yeah lenses too. I'm not sure if the X-T20 also has an AF joystick. If it don't then switching the AF points can be a bit cumbersome I believe in the options you can apply that to the Fn buttons on the back, but after that you lose four Fn buttons. I went with the X-T2 for a reason personally. Just bringing it up cause it sounds like you don't want anything DSLR sized. Also Nikon kit lenses for APSC are fucking horrible.

snaffles

I learned from an early age that MPs aren't everything, so that doesn't deter me too much on 15-16MP vs 20+, etc. I doubt I'll be blowing up photos anytime soon for printing. The price comment was just because I was seeing D5300s with two lenses going for right around $500. While that $500 would get me one lens with the Olympus.

I use olympus/panasonic cameras with 16mp sensors and have no issue making large prints, just got a 14x22 inch picture this week. Have also got some 20x30 canvas prints that came from a older 10mp Sony dslr. People on the internet tend to drastically overstate the importance of image quality/sharpness, sensor size etc.

I use olympus/panasonic cameras with 16mp sensors and have no issue making large prints, just got a 14x22 inch picture this week. Have also got some 20x30 canvas prints that came from a older 10mp Sony dslr. People on the internet tend to drastically overstate the importance of image quality/sharpness, sensor size etc.

Agreed. As long as the glass is good, there's very rarely an issue with the sensor. Low light performance and speed are really the only two facets of the sensor that I would consider important from a competitive aspect from camera to camera.

And, while sensor size isn't king, I would say it's important to people who are into low light or bokeh-ass photos.

sneaky77

I agree, I got some 30*10 metallic prints when I had my X-E2 and they look really nice.

Daedardus

Quick question. If I want some good software to decently start to learn editing RAW pictures of my RX100M3, am I best off with Capture One Pro for Sony? I don't plan to purchase a new camera soon (and even if I did it might likely be a Sony mirrorless) and the subscription of Adobe CC would be a bit too much over the years for the usage I have. PS Elements is even a more expensive buy for what I guess are reduced functionalities. Or is there some other program I best take a look at?

sneaky77

Quick question. If I want some good software to decently start to learn editing RAW pictures of my RX100M3, am I best off with Capture One Pro for Sony? I don't plan to purchase a new camera soon (and even if I did it might likely be a Sony mirrorless) and the subscription of Adobe CC would be a bit too much over the years for the usage I have. PS Elements is even a more expensive buy for what I guess are reduced functionalities. Or is there some other program I best take a look at?

As someone that uses Capture One, yes, there is nothing wrong with it, some people say it has better RAW conversion than lightroom, and the tools are very much similar.

You can watch Capture One webinars on their youtube channel, they are pretty good starting point and cover a lot of different areas over different tutorials

Welp, by Wed, the Olympus should arrive. I just decided to pull the trigger. Seller accepted $400 for the silver E-M10 Mark II. I then found a 14-42mm lens in black for $120. I think I'll wait awhile for the 40-150mm lens. Although I've seen some used ones go for around $50. New is $100 right now.

As someone that uses Capture One, yes, there is nothing wrong with it, some people say it has better RAW conversion than lightroom, and the tools are very much similar.

You can watch Capture One webinars on their youtube channel, they are pretty good starting point and cover a lot of different areas over different tutorials

I keep trying to use Capture One and keep finding myself completely and utterly unable to do literally anything in it.

All the tutorials tell me to hit buttons that don't exist and when I do find a button it doesn't do shit.

RuGalz

Capture one should be fine. Also, Raw Therapee is good and free - http://rawtherapee.com/

Welp, by Wed, the Olympus should arrive. I just decided to pull the trigger. Seller accepted $400 for the silver E-M10 Mark II. I then found a 14-42mm lens in black for $120. I think I'll wait awhile for the 40-150mm lens. Although I've seen some used ones go for around $50. New is $100 right now.
I usually try to get straight black cameras and have the cameras and lens match, but that's just me personally. Enjoy the camera though. At some point you might start looking for better glass though. The kit lenses are mostly just starter gear.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Haven't gone quite that big but i have a really nice framed 10x8 taken with a 2.6MP Sony F505v back around 2000. I'm sure if I looked closely it'd be a bit grainy, but hung on the wall at normal viewing distance it looks great

sneaky77

I keep trying to use Capture One and keep finding myself completely and utterly unable to do literally anything in it.

All the tutorials tell me to hit buttons that don't exist and when I do find a button it doesn't do shit.

I don't find it that bad, most of the options in the modules are similar to lightroom, but if you're used to things being one specific way I can see how it would be an adjustment

This is a fairly straightforward workflow video, shorter than the tutorials and a brief overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QN2y2QN-dw&t=311s

I usually try to get straight black cameras and have the cameras and lens match, but that's just me personally. Enjoy the camera though. At some point you might start looking for better glass though. The kit lenses are mostly just starter gear.

For this model, I really liked the silver version. A lot of the other ones that I looked at were fine in black. But there is enough black in the body design to where I don't think it'll look bad with a black or silver lens. As long as the lens works well enough internally, though!

For this model, I really liked the silver version. A lot of the other ones that I looked at were fine in black. But there is enough black in the body design to where I don't think it'll look bad with a black or silver lens. As long as the lens works well enough internally, though!
Makes sense. I usually just go black for stealth reasons...though anybody will see a camera with a 70-200 lens pointed at them.

Ty4on

Yeah, those Olympuses are hot in silver.
Makes sense. I usually just go black for stealth reasons...though anybody will see a camera with a 70-200 lens pointed at them.
At least the lens isn't white lol

I love that it's a trend to show how premium the telephoto lens is when it's so impractical for most to have a giant, bright white lens.

At least the lens isn't white lol

I love that it's a trend to show how premium the telephoto lens is when it's so impractical for most to have a giant, bright white lens.
White Canon lenses with a black lens hood on a black body just visually gives me an aneurysm. They're built insanely well, but I'd probably die from it if I had OCD.

If your budget gets a bit bigger later on, get a used 12-40mm 2.8. Amazing lens.

owlbeak

Great camera! :) I have the silver body + black lenses on my E-M10 II and love the look. If you are concerned about low light performance, the Panasonic Lumix G 25mm/1.7 regularly goes on sale for around $100 on Amazon and it's a great lens by all accounts, particularly if you can't drop $250+ on the Oly 25mm/1.8. I have it on my Oly and I love it, especially in low light.

Anim

Speaking of great looking black lenses on a silver E-M10 Mark II... I've finally decided to get my first non-kit lens and got myself a Panasonic 15mm. Here's how it looks (with and without a lens hood):

img_20170806_013014xbsg6.jpg

Looks-wise it's pretty sexy, but I have second thoughts about it. The increase in picture quality is visible for sure, but I kinda feel like it's not worth 500€ I paid for it. I'm considering returning it to the store and getting a used 12-40 Pro instead. The only problem is that I tried the 12-40 on the E-M10 at the store and it was too big for that body (and also quite heavy).

owlbeak

Looks-wise it's pretty sexy, but I have second thoughts about it. The increase in picture quality is visible for sure, but I kinda feel like it's not worth 500€ I paid for it. I'm considering returning it to the store and getting a used 12-40 Pro instead. The only problem is that I tried the 12-40 on the E-M10 at the store and it was too big for that body (and also quite heavy).
That looks great!

The Oly 17mm is supposed to be fantastic, but...it's also in the same price range ($500USD). I've heard nothing but great things about the 12-40 Pro lens, as well, and it is probably a better purchase if you happen to be like me and don't have a ton of cash to drop on multiple lenses.

vector824

Do we have a "For Sale" forum here? I have looked and cannot find one... I have a Sigma 24mm f/1.4 HSM Art for Nikon I'm trying to offload for $650.

Met a punk ass bitch today.

I'm at a new unit in the National Guard, and apparently they are quite heavy on retirement ceremonies! So I help em out yesterday and get my usual fantastic shots (new environment permitting... Cieling is fukken weird so flash was inconsistent), and today before a new one, some guy comes up and starts asking me if it's my official position, he's never seen me before until yesterday, and I let him know I'm new to the unit but have done plenty of military events.

Guy apparently thought I was doing it wrong getting nice close up shots with my 50mm from a variety of angles and shit and suggested I'd do way better standing wwaaaaayyyyy back in the back and just zoom in for the shots.

Like mmmm nah, military let's me shove this lens right in people's faces so I get good shots, so I'm gonna do that instead. I'm sure the retiree would much prefer a nice portrait shot with that shiny Army Achievement Medal than some postage stamp ass shot from across town.

Edit: the guy had his own gear so I'm assuming he's not a complete dunce but honestly I was annoyed at him telling me to give the retiree shitty useless shots so some other military guys who aren't retiring could see someone for another 5 seconds.

Met a punk ass bitch today.

I'm at a new unit in the National Guard, and apparently they are quite heavy on retirement ceremonies! So I help em out yesterday and get my usual fantastic shots (new environment permitting... Cieling is fukken weird so flash was inconsistent), and today before a new one, some guy comes up and starts asking me if it's my official position, he's never seen me before until yesterday, and I let him know I'm new to the unit but have done plenty of military events.

Guy apparently thought I was doing it wrong getting nice close up shots with my 50mm from a variety of angles and shit and suggested I'd do way better standing wwaaaaayyyyy back in the back and just zoom in for the shots.

Like mmmm nah, military let's me shove this lens right in people's faces so I get good shots, so I'm gonna do that instead. I'm sure the retiree would much prefer a nice portrait shot with that shiny Army Achievement Medal than some postage stamp ass shot from across town.

Edit: the guy had his own gear so I'm assuming he's not a complete dunce but honestly I was annoyed at him telling me to give the retiree shitty useless shots so some other military guys who aren't retiring could see someone for another 5 seconds.
I try to be a mix of near and far depending on the event and what exactly is happening. Podium speeches I'm far, group stuff a bit close to medium range. This depends on how packed the thing is. Whomever was talking to you shouldn't have even cared as long as the shots you bring back are fine. I think the best rule of thumb with event photography and portraits is to not always let your subject know you're there so they can actually relax a bit. The best portraits are normally when they're relaxed and don't have a lens in their mug, hence the reason for reach.

I try to be a mix of near and far depending on the event and what exactly is happening. Podium speeches I'm far, group stuff a bit close to medium range. This depends on how packed the thing is. Whomever was talking to you shouldn't have even cared as long as the shots you bring back are fine. I think the best rule of thumb with event photography and portraits is to not always let your subject know you're there so they can actually relax a bit. The best portraits are normally when they're relaxed and don't have a lens in their mug, hence the reason for reach.
I mean he was just like "oh you need to be back there so you don't keep walking between them and the audience"
Like uhh not sure if you figured it out yet or not but they aren't being promoted so you can watch, it's so they get some time in the limelight. If you're not the one getting promoted or retired then I honestly don't give a flying fuck what you want, we ain't here for the audience.

If this was like a press event or an announcement, yeah, sure, but this is literally, purely, to give someone some warm fuzzies. I want to make sure that comes with great photos to boot.

Saturnman

Banned
Speaking of great looking black lenses on a silver E-M10 Mark II... I've finally decided to get my first non-kit lens and got myself a Panasonic 15mm. Here's how it looks (with and without a lens hood):

It depends on what you're looking for. The Leica lens you have is one of the better primes for the system. But if you keep taking pictures of dark interior corners at high ISOs then I can understand your comment about IQ. :) Either change your technique, control your lighting or get a brighter lens (and/or bigger sensor as in change camera systems).

However, if "IQ" is a codeword for bokeh (blurring of backgrounds) then I can see why you might disappointed with the Leica lens. Wide lens generally don't give much control over bokeh, even more so on m43. The right technique can still help, but if you shoot with something with a bit more reach, bokeh is easier to achieve. Plenty of relatively cheap 25 and 42.5-45mm primes for the system. Even a kit telephoto zoom (typically 40-150mm) can give you some respectable bokeh.

As for zooms, I'm sorry but if size is really an issue (and nothing to do with how to hold a more front heavy lens), then you're in for some trouble because all the quality zooms for the system are not small and we've already established you have some sort of IQ threshold that you will not pass so the smaller, kit zooms are out of the equation. Primes all the way.

It depends on what you're looking for. The Leica lens you have is one of the better primes for the system. But if you keep taking pictures of dark interior corners at high ISOs then I can understand your comment about IQ. :) Either change your technique, control your lighting or get a brighter lens (and/or bigger sensor as in change camera systems).

However, if "IQ" is a codeword for bokeh (blurring of backgrounds) then I can see why you might disappointed with the Leica lens. Wide lens generally don't give much control over bokeh, even more so on m43. The right technique can still help, but if you shoot with something with a bit more reach, bokeh is easier to achieve. Plenty of relatively cheap 25 and 42.5-45mm primes for the system. Even a kit telephoto zoom (typically 40-150mm) can give you some respectable bokeh.

As for zooms, I'm sorry but if size is really an issue (and nothing to do with how to hold a more front heavy lens), then you're in for some trouble because all the quality zooms for the system are not small and we've already established you have some sort of IQ threshold that you will not pass so the smaller, kit zooms are out of the equation. Primes all the way.
Quality zooms in general are pretty big, I'm quite used them at least, but they're probably not for everybody. That person should probably figure out what he really wants though. Anybody here use the Fuji 2.8 50-140?

what lighting equipment do you guys own?

I don't have any but I want to film some stuff including vlogs for youtube and short films .

what lights should I get?

Anim

Thanks, these are really useful comments. By IQ I mainly meant sharpness. I did a lot of research before buying this Leica and sharpness was always mentioned as one of its top features. After getting it I did some test shots of my bookshelf at various apertures and compared them to my kit zoom (Olympus 14-42mm). The Leica is visibly sharper, especially on the sides and in the corners, but it's not a night and day difference. I just feel like the increase in sharpness is not really that dramatic, especially for supposedly one of the sharpest lenses in the system.

Bokeh at f1.7 is pretty awesome, but at this focal length shallow DoF shots are limited to pretty much close-ups only.

Quality zooms in general are pretty big, I'm quite used them at least, but they're probably not for everybody. That person should probably figure out what he really wants though. Anybody here use the Fuji 2.8 50-140?

I'm looking for a general purpose travel/walkaround lens that would replace my kit zoom and give me a big boost in sharpness. Keep in mind that I prefer a wide perspective, so I'd like to stay below the equivalent of 35mm in full frame terms.

what lighting equipment do you guys own?

I don't have any but I want to film some stuff including vlogs for youtube and short films .

what lights should I get?

Something like a Dracast LED light kit would be easy and practical for Youtube, but not as resourceful for shorts films. If you want more dramatic lighting you'll want some fresnels. That said, you should not buy fresnels, there's no reason unless you own a studio, rent them when you need them.

Been using my 6D for about 2 years now (50 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, and 24-105 f4L) and I just bought the Fuji XT1 with the 35mm F2 on Adorama for $800

I really want to try out mirrorless and see how it is. The deal is really good and I'll sell either my XT-1 or 6D, depending on which one I like.

Been using my 6D for about 2 years now (50 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, and 24-105 f4L) and I just bought the Fuji XT1 with the 35mm F2 on Adorama for $800

I really want to try out mirrorless and see how it is. The deal is really good and I'll sell either my XT-1 or 6D, depending on which one I like.
I would almost say keep both. I honestly think both systems excel at two different things. I have a D810 and an XT2 but I have no intention of selling the D810.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone had problems with the Olympus OMD-EM10 focusing? On holiday in Naples at the moment and using it with the tamrom 14-150 and it was really having issues focusing - often just hunting with the image being blurry through the viewfinder and not locking on

First time I've noticed this and I've had the camera over a year now. This was trying to focus on buildings in bright sun so should have been plenty of detail to catch focus on

Anyone had problems with the Olympus OMD-EM10 focusing? On holiday in Naples at the moment and using it with the tamrom 14-150 and it was really having issues focusing - often just hunting with the image being blurry through the viewfinder and not locking on

First time I've noticed this and I've had the camera over a year now. This was trying to focus on buildings in bright sun so should have been plenty of detail to catch focus on
I think heavy backlighting drive AF systems a bit crazy.

Pulled the trigger on a Sony 70-200mm f4. Best Buy finally had an open box item for $1200. Tried ebay and found it going for as low as $800 but didn't want to play the guessing game since a lot of auctions were listing the gray market model and omitting that detail.

Alright, GAF. I'm reaching out. I'm ready to invest in something more than a smartphone to take photos and I need help.

I've spent hours and hours researching cameras, yet I still I feel perplexed. So many options.

After reading through this thread, I decided to ask for recommendations based on the types of photos I've already taken and a small sample of the types of photos I am aspiring towards.

But before that...

Budget: Less than $1,200 USD
Purpose: Capturing my son's infancy / family / nature
Plan: Would like to start modestly and expand as I learn
History: I've only ever photographed with a smartphone. I believe I have an eye for composition and I would like to be able to express myself with more advanced tools.

Here is what I consider to be some of the better shots I've taken with a smartphone...

Here is a small sample of the shots I aspire to...

My main interests are portraits, unique patterns, and natural light. I like capturing moments as they happen. I am also very interested in being able to take video if needed. I have experience / interest in video editing.

The camera at the top of my consideration list is the Canon 80D or 750D. I am also open to mirrorless options or anything else "outside of the box".

Please help. Anybody have recommendations based on all of the info / interests I have provided?