• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

I just got a new Nikon lens. It's a DX lens 12 mm to 24 mm 4.0. It's my first major lens purchase :)

Update: it got delivered! Can't wait to try it out!

If you want a telephoto lens, I would look into Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 as another choice. Would throw in Sony E 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (the silver version) but that is way over your budget based on the lens you're looking.

Oops, definitely meant the 55-210mm F/4.5-6.3 in my original post.

And yeah I'm an ultra beginner so a bit cheap at the moment hehe.

edit: Ordered the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 for $170. Seems to a pretty decent lens for the price. And good for a beginner like myself.

1. What is your budget budget? $500-800
2. Main purpose of the camera? Pictures at Tradeshows (E3, TGS, Gamescom) & Scenery locations like castles in Japan or famous landmarks & food.
3. What form factor is most appealing to you? Not sure what this means but i'm looking for a DLSR that is great quality but also something that wouldn't be too much of a hassle to bring around.
4. Will you be investing in the camera? Honestly probably not , i just want to be able to do the three things decently (better then what i can get from a pocket camera or camera phone.
5. Any cameras you've used before or liked? I've used the Canon Powershot S120 i'm a complete nub with cameras.

John Blade

2. Main purpose of the camera? Pictures at Tradeshows (E3, TGS, Gamescom) & Scenery locations like castles in Japan or famous landmarks & food.
3. What form factor is most appealing to you? Not sure what this means but i'm looking for a DLSR that is great quality but also something that wouldn't be too much of a hassle to bring around.
4. Will you be investing in the camera? Honestly probably not , i just want to be able to do the three things decently (better then what i can get from a pocket camera or camera phone.
5. Any cameras you've used before or liked? I've used the Canon Powershot S120 i'm a complete nub with cameras.

I bite a bit. If you`re from the States and want to buy a new camera under $800, I would look at the rebel series (T series) or SL series. They`re a good entry level camera to start and very light if you don`t want to carry a heavy camera. Some link to watch

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1060566-REG/canon_eos_rebel_sl1_dslr.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1238275-REG/canon_1159c008_eos_rebel_t6_dslr.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1255978-REG/canon_eos_rebel_t6_dslr.html

NOTE: Based on what you say, I don`t have much of an idea of what type of lens will be useful for you. The standard lens (18-55mm) is a good starting point but I don`t know if you need a telephoto lens for situation when you want to zoom into the shot. For now, this might be something to start around.

If you`re going into the USED market, then you might have few more choice to look at but this area will be something you need to double check as it depend on where you will get the Used camera as you want guarantee the camera don`t have any issue with it and have a long life span for you to used without fear it will break.

RuGalz

Pentax KS2, mid range, small dslr, weather sealed for near entry level price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051678882,&is=REG&A=details

I bite a bit. If you`re from the States and want to buy a new camera under $800, I would look at the rebel series (T series) or SL series. They`re a good entry level camera to start and very light if you don`t want to carry a heavy camera. Some link to watch

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1060566-REG/canon_eos_rebel_sl1_dslr.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1238275-REG/canon_1159c008_eos_rebel_t6_dslr.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1255978-REG/canon_eos_rebel_t6_dslr.html
I am in the United States
Out of the three you posted which one has better quality images?
@Tablo and Rugalz I've never heard of pentax before and haven't seen anyone around me ever use one before. Is it good quality?

John Blade

I am in the United States
Out of the three you posted which one has better quality images?
@Tablo and Rugalz I've never heard of pentax before and haven't seen anyone around me ever use one before. Is it good quality?

If you want better image quality, it will come down to the lens you're using when you take picture. All canon rebel lens (unless you go for the premium kit lens which I will go to that later) come with EF-S 18-55mm which for beginner is okay lens to start. For now, Canon is throwing another lens into those bundle which might be a good bundle for starter. I am not a canon guy as I use Sony equipment (too much money to waste? go to sony) but do test out some of canon equipment before mostly for what I work and have to test people camera.

I don't want to go crazy on lens review as this isn't something I do but they is someone who did a decent impression of those lens. I will post a video of the lens of the one of the link so you can have a good impression of those lens. Remember, this is someone impression so, it doesn't mean the lens suck but can do better.

Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM III lens review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI7mZHBf5YU

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5wZAvUmPUA

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waBjGxsGSg8

Something to look into, if your budget is a bit higher and don't want to have two lens and want to stick with only one lens period, you might want to look below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1116102-REG/canon_0591c005_eos_rebel_t6i_dslr.html

I actually own the same lens and using it on my sony with an adapter. It's actually a very good lens for photo and video. This is the same lens from the 70D and for video I take, it look nice. An impression video below.

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j7hQ17G_uk

For pentax, don't have any experience with them but from what I can gather, if you want more bang for your money, pentax camera tend to give you more option you don't get within the same budget price of other camera. This is good for starter but I tend to avoid pentax a bit as they past experience when going into digital camera is mix. A lot of weird stupid decision from the company when they release camera in the time to the point it look like they have no clue what they're doing something. This is from people I talk to who are actually pentax user from past to current. This might explain why they're now under ricoh and it does look like they're now going the right path they should go to when making camera which is why quite a few people say good thing about the current camera they make. Do remember, if you go to the other camera company other than the big two, third party accessories from them will be limited a bit as they don't tend to make stuff for smaller market. Something to note on if you're consider to buy more stuff for your camera.

I hope I don't make u hate pentax and if you have some more questions, I will try to answer as best as I can. I will try to be less bias in certain stuff and will give you some example to make it easier for you.

RuGalz

Yes. They are best bang for your bucks. Pentax's been around for a long long time. They lost their market share due to slow transition from film to digital. Later, when Hoya bought the company, they basically threw the camera division under the bus because they were more interested in the medical side of Pentax. Ricoh bought the camera brand from Hoya a few years ago and have been doing great things to revive it. You won't see many people using Pentax cameras in the West because they are not well known--they are a bit more visible in Asia. However, there are professionals out there who use Pentax.

review for KS2: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k-s2/pentax-k-s2A.HTM
weather sealing test: https://youtu.be/N7bpGiLKFDs?t=553

There are complaints about the retractable kit lens being a bit hard to work with, you can just opt for the regular 18-55mm weather sealed lens and pair it with 55-200mm weather sealed lens then you have a perfectly capable weather sealed kit. I often walk in the rain without covering up my camera when I travel. (Note: the sealing can fail any time, so, if you are not sure, cover it up. I'm just lazy since it has yet to be a problem all these years.)

There's no review for K-70 yet that I know of but for the features it's a steal at $650.

GP_Socks

Banned
Do any of you guys have experience with the Nikon P900? It's just over $500 new which is fine.

I've seen a few vids showing off the extreme optical zoom such as this and I think it would be pretty cool to have.

Where I live we have lots of mountains and the super moon views are spectacular.

If you want better image quality, it will come down to the lens you're using when you take picture. All canon rebel lens (unless you go for the premium kit lens which I will go to that later) come with EF-S 18-55mm which for beginner is okay lens to start. For now, Canon is throwing another lens into those bundle which might be a good bundle for starter. I am not a canon guy as I use Sony equipment (too much money to waste? go to sony) but do test out some of canon equipment before mostly for what I work and have to test people camera.

I don't want to go crazy on lens review as this isn't something I do but they is someone who did a decent impression of those lens. I will post a video of the lens of the one of the link so you can have a good impression of those lens. Remember, this is someone impression so, it doesn't mean the lens suck but can do better.

Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM III lens review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI7mZHBf5YU

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5wZAvUmPUA

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waBjGxsGSg8

Something to look into, if your budget is a bit higher and don't want to have two lens and want to stick with only one lens period, you might want to look below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1116102-REG/canon_0591c005_eos_rebel_t6i_dslr.html

I actually own the same lens and using it on my sony with an adapter. It's actually a very good lens for photo and video. This is the same lens from the 70D and for video I take, it look nice. An impression video below.

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j7hQ17G_uk

Thanks for the information i will take a look into it

Do any of you guys have experience with the Nikon P900? It's just over $500 new which is fine.

I've seen a few vids showing off the extreme optical zoom such as this and I think it would be pretty cool to have.

Where I live we have lots of mountains and the super moon views are spectacular.
I remember messing around with it a couple of months ago and don't really remember being too impressed with it. Granted I think I'm over super zoom bridge cameras at this point. Also I think the last half of that is done with the digital zoom on that camera. If you want it for zoom purposes fine, but I don't exactly like menu diving on bridges these days.

I have enough money right now to get a new lens for my Oly, but I can't decide what to get next.

I have the 12-40 Pro and I'm planning to get the other 2 pro lenses too in the future, because the quality of the 12-40 really convinced me.

The 40-150mm 2.8 is a bit big, I'm not sure how often I would carry it with me. But the IQ seems to be superb.

It's a bit dear diary here, sorry.

OraleeWey

1. What is your budget budget?
$400-$500 max (no more)

2. Main purpose of the camera?
I want to capture memories I can look back in the future. At the same time, I want to own a good camera which I can learn from and eventually become an amateur photographer. I'm not interested in becoming a professional, I just want to capture moments and share. What I want out of the camera is amazing image quality and a great amount of zoom. A camera which both an amateur and a professional can take pictures with.

3. What form factor is most appealing to you?
I really don't care but I like the Nikon aesthetics with the screens.

4. Will you be investing in the camera? (buying more stuff for it later)
Not sure. Maybe, if it's worth it.

5. Any cameras you've used before or liked?
Nope, except my phone.

1. What is your budget budget?
$400-$500 max (no more)

I want to capture memories I can look back in the future. At the same time, I want to own a good camera which I can learn from and eventually become an amateur photographer. I'm not interested in becoming a professional, I just want to capture moments and share. What I want out of the camera is amazing image quality and a great amount of zoom. A camera which both an amateur and a professional can take pictures with.

3. What form factor is most appealing to you?
I really don't care but I like the Nikon aesthetics with the screens.

Not sure. Maybe, if it's worth it.

Nope, except my phone.
Not sure if you'll get what you're looking for, it's a bit... All over the place?

"A camera that a professional and an amateur can use" is a bit nebulous. The cameras that a pro would be interested are large, heavy, and full of dials. And lots of times with poor to mediocre automatic modes. A new user is going to want something light that they can just stick in a pocket and just snaps photos without any fuss. While I think that some of the higher end mirrorless cameras can kinda be that, the $400-500 makes that tough.

Plenty of zoom and great image quality... That's $$$. Just saying.
It's sort of a case of you can't get all three -- great zoom, great image quality, and new/pro catering isn't going to all come in a $400 package. There's a reason people shell out big bucks for this.

What I would recommend, is picking a priority. Right now you kinda want everything, but you really gotta think about what you want, especially on that budget. If your main focus was image quality, I would recommend picking up a used Mirrorless - they are light, highly functional and do tend to have the easier modes; making it easy for you to just "get shots", but also give you room to grow. If zoom range os your top priority, there are some "super zoom" bridge cameras that, while they won't take the same high quality shots, will fare much better at those long range shots than just cropping a kit lens's shots.

OraleeWey

Not sure if you'll get what you're looking for, it's a bit... All over the place?

"A camera that a professional and an amateur can use" is a bit nebulous. The cameras that a pro would be interested are large, heavy, and full of dials. And lots of times with poor to mediocre automatic modes. A new user is going to want something light that they can just stick in a pocket and just snaps photos without any fuss. While I think that some of the higher end mirrorless cameras can kinda be that, the $400-500 makes that tough.

Plenty of zoom and great image quality... That's $$$. Just saying.
It's sort of a case of you can't get all three -- great zoom, great image quality, and new/pro catering isn't going to all come in a $400 package. There's a reason people shell out big bucks for this.

What I would recommend, is picking a priority. Right now you kinda want everything, but you really gotta think about what you want, especially on that budget. If your main focus was image quality, I would recommend picking up a used Mirrorless - they are light, highly functional and do tend to have the easier modes; making it easy for you to just "get shots", but also give you room to grow. If zoom range os your top priority, there are some "super zoom" bridge cameras that, while they won't take the same high quality shots, will fare much better at those long range shots than just cropping a kit lens's shots.

Ok, I see. So cameras are very specialized in one thing. Okay, then I guess I want a clear beautiful image. That would be the priority. Something I can snap an amazing picture from trips, parties, nature, scenery etc. Say I go on a vacation, I want to save those memories bacause quite frankly, I rarely ever revisit my past.

Ok, I see. So cameras are very specialized in one thing. Okay, then I guess I want a clear beautiful image. That would be the priority. Something I can snap an amazing picture from trips, parties, nature, scenery etc. Say I go on a vacation, I want to save those memories bacause quite frankly, I rarely ever revisit my past.

Take a look at used mirrorless cameras. You should be able to pick up a Sony a6000/NEX-6 for relatively cheap with the kit lens. They're amateur friendly, and capable of taking some amazing photos in experienced hands.

I've learned photography exclusively on an NEX-5 and an a6000. Very solid cameras.

Take a look at used mirrorless cameras. You should be able to pick up a Sony a6000/NEX-6 for relatively cheap with the kit lens. They're amateur friendly, and capable of taking some amazing photos in experienced hands.

I've learned photography exclusively on an NEX-5 and an a6000. Very solid cameras.
I'll mirror the a6000 recommendation. You can also go for one of the Fujifilms... They'll have *slightly* lesser image quality in RAW, but tend to have better jpegs off the camera. They also like to have more "classic" styling, similar to film cameras, which can encourage you to use more manual controls as you get more accustomed to it.

Magni

I'm giving my wife my K-r and in the market for a new body. I don't shoot frequently enough to warrant spending for a K-3, so basically it comes down to K-S2 vs K-70. What's the difference between the two, apart from the 70 being a bit more recent (and thus a bit more pricy with slightly better specs?)

What's the difference between the K-r/K-S/K-S2 series and the K-30/50/70 series? It used to be the weatherproofing, but the S2 has that...

RuGalz

I'm giving my wife my K-r and in the market for a new body. I don't shoot frequently enough to warrant spending for a K-3, so basically it comes down to K-S2 vs K-70. What's the difference between the two, apart from the 70 being a bit more recent (and thus a bit more pricy with slightly better specs?)

The 70 is kind of like a mini K-3/II. It has a lot of features from the flagship, including 14 bit color readout and pixel shift support. Some features missing compared to the flagship are: fewer AF points, on camera flash can no longer use as control flash, and probably smaller buffer, etc. It weights less since it has plastic outer shell. Compared to K-S2, I think it loses the selfie button and the body looks a bit more "serious" but gained a few features from the flagship.

What's the difference between the K-r/K-S/K-S2 series and the K-30/50/70 series? It used to be the weatherproofing, but the S2 has that...

I think they should move away from having 3 models to 2 models (entry/mid range model + a flagship model), since the lowest end model is well covered by Canon/Nikon already and the margin is low. But the lower end, non-weather sealed might come in a couple months... They said the S* series is more "experimental" and playful while 70 is more "serious"; who knows if that will stick.

OraleeWey

I'll mirror the a6000 recommendation. You can also go for one of the Fujifilms... They'll have *slightly* lesser image quality in RAW, but tend to have better jpegs off the camera. They also like to have more "classic" styling, similar to film cameras, which can encourage you to use more manual controls as you get more accustomed to it.

So the Sony a6000 is what I should be looking for? I was searching earlier on eBay and they were selling it without lenses. I don't need a lens for my needs do I? I see that some sellers on eBay post it as "body only" that just means it doesn't come with a lens right?

So the Sony a6000 is what I should be looking for? I was searching earlier on eBay and they were selling it without lenses. I don't need a lens for my needs do I? I see that some sellers on eBay post it as "body only" that just means it doesn't come with a lens right?
You deeeeefinitely need a lens. Without one you can't take photos. (well technically you can but it'll just be a big blank single color, hardly a photo)
For your needs you'll want to find one with the 16-50 kit lens.
The "body only" is for people that either have their own lenses already, or plan on purchasing other lenses separately at the same time.

OraleeWey

You deeeeefinitely need a lens. Without one you can't take photos. (well technically you can but it'll just be a big blank single color, hardly a photo)
For your needs you'll want to find one with the 16-50 kit lens.
The "body only" is for people that either have their own lenses already, or plan on purchasing other lenses separately at the same time.

OK, I see. In that case its definitely hard to find one that fits my budget.

Got my Sigma 30MM f/2.8 for my A6000 Friday and took it out this weekend. Really good lens for the price. Dat (mostly) creamy bokeh is nice.

Also bought an ancient Tamron Adaptall 80-250mm lens on eBay for 20 bucks with an adapter, looking forward to messing around with that.

Ty4on

Which RX100 model is good? There's like 4
The RX100 is made to be really compact with great image quality and as a compromise it has a limited zoom range.

If you also want a longer zoom I'd look at the Sony RX10 (first gen) or Panasonic FZ1000. They're much bigger though. Both are a bit pricy at around $800, but getting old so you might see some deals or cheap used/refurbished. The Sony has perhaps better image quality, but the Panasonic has more zoom and 4K.

The other route is a DSLR or mirrorless with two zooms or a longer zoom. DSLRs have better battery life and generally more reliable focusing. Mirrorless show you the actual picture in the viewfinder (and whether it's too dark etc...), are smaller and generally focus better when shooting videos.

If you google the cameras you can find sample pictures to judge image quality. Zoom wise the RX100 is like 28-100mm, the RX10 is like 24-200mm and the FZ1000 is like 25-400mm. You can see some focal lengths compared her for scale, but remember with a sharp picture you can crop afterwards.
fd6047ec60a5ac820dd7af7792d85972.jpg

Why do I always see people taking pictures in the day time with the pop up flash up? I don't flash anything unless I'm covering an event and even then I have a physical flash.

Why do I always see people taking pictures in the day time with the pop up flash up? I don't flash anything unless I'm covering an event and even then I have a physical flash.
Pop up flash, particularly those on dslrs that you can't point upwards, are the worst things in the world.

Wait so people buy D750's and don't even take that thing off auto? That's just a waste.
You seem to be under the impression that people don't assume that nice photographs just come from nice cameras, and not from skills.

RuGalz

Wait so people buy D750's and don't even take that thing off auto? That's just a waste.

Lol, yes. There's some ridiculously high (or higher than you'd expect) percentage of people who buy nice cameras and never leave the Auto mode. Most just think better camera = better pictures.

Pop up flash, particularly those on dslrs that you can't point upwards, are the worst things in the world.

You seem to be under the impression that people don't assume that nice photographs just come from nice cameras, and not from skills.
Mother of God. I mean I've seen tons of bad pictures on B&H's site and Amazon in the reviews portion of customer images so I'm not exactly blind to it. I just didn't think there were that many "I know nothing" photographers with high end dslr's. Makes me wonder who really knows what they're doing.
Lol, yes. There's some ridiculously high (or higher than you'd expect) percentage of people who buy nice cameras and never leave the Auto mode. Most just think better camera = better pictures.
"Surely my 3000 dollar camera knows what it's doing." I mean I still mess up shots, but nine times out of ten I know why. Usually it's just too low of a shutter speed for a person in movement these days...either that or my AF is just hunting around.

Mother of God. I mean I've seen tons of bad pictures on B&H's site and Amazon in the reviews portion of customer images so I'm not exactly blind to it. I just didn't think there were that many "I know nothing" photographers with high end dslr's. Makes me wonder who really knows what they're doing.

"Surely my 3000 dollar camera knows what it's doing." I mean I still mess up shots, but nine times out of ten I know why. Usually it's just too low of a shutter speed for a person in movement these days...either that or my AF is just hunting around.
As an aside, I think review photos (in ussr reviews) can be hard to get any meaningful context out of, mainly because a lot of times they don't give enough information. I've even seen the same thing in blog reviews and site reviews. Are these photos post processed? 100% crop? Color adjusted? F Stop? A lot of people leave this shit out mannnnnnn

Or better yet, just ONE photo, like come on man I can make *A* good photo out of my 70-200 FD and that's just a shit lens.

Ty4on

As an aside, I think review photos (in ussr reviews) can be hard to get any meaningful context out of, mainly because a lot of times they don't give enough information. I've even seen the same thing in blog reviews and site reviews. Are these photos post processed? 100% crop? Color adjusted? F Stop? A lot of people leave this shit out mannnnnnn

Or better yet, just ONE photo, like come on man I can make *A* good photo out of my 70-200 FD and that's just a shit lens.
My biggest pet peeve: I'll finally find a Flickr page with pictures from a rare-ish lens in looking at.

The editing is awful, I can deal with that.
The watermark covers much of the image, fine, I'll look around it.
The picture really didn't need that border, but at least the image is unchanged...
The largest image size is 1000x600? What?

My biggest pet peeve: I'll finally find a Flickr page with pictures from a rare-ish lens in looking at.

The editing is awful, I can deal with that.
The watermark covers much of the image, fine, I'll look around it.
The picture really didn't need that border, but at least the image is unchanged...
That image size thing is either from a wonky crop or the exported it wrong I guess. I do find that weird myself too.

Ty4on

That image size thing is either from a wonky crop or the exported it wrong I guess. I do find that weird myself too.
I usually find groups and some members will consistently post low res pictures. I know because I look at the usernames to avoid them :p

Some review sites do it too. I found a review while looking up the Nikon P900 which had 1000x750 samples. I understand bandwidth limitations, but I wish they are least had one high res and warned about the other pictures being resized.

I usually find groups and some members will consistently post low res pictures. I know because I look at the usernames to avoid them :p

Some review sites do it too. I found a review while looking up the Nikon P900 which had 1000x750 samples. I understand bandwidth limitations, but I wish they are least had one high res and warned about the other pictures being resized.
Probably intentionally trying to make the camera look bad.

Magni

The 70 is kind of like a mini K-3/II. It has a lot of features from the flagship, including 14 bit color readout and pixel shift support. Some features missing compared to the flagship are: fewer AF points, on camera flash can no longer use as control flash, and probably smaller buffer, etc. It weights less since it has plastic outer shell. Compared to K-S2, I think it loses the selfie button and the body looks a bit more "serious" but gained a few features from the flagship.

I think they should move away from having 3 models to 2 models (entry/mid range model + a flagship model), since the lowest end model is well covered by Canon/Nikon already and the margin is low. But the lower end, non-weather sealed might come in a couple months... They said the S* series is more "experimental" and playful while 70 is more "serious"; who knows if that will stick.

Ah thanks, that helps out a bit. Definitely agree that they could slim down their lines. Guess I'll head off to Bic Camera to see which I prefer in hand.

OraleeWey

The RX100 is made to be really compact with great image quality and as a compromise it has a limited zoom range.

If you also want a longer zoom I'd look at the Sony RX10 (first gen) or Panasonic FZ1000. They're much bigger though. Both are a bit pricy at around $800, but getting old so you might see some deals or cheap used/refurbished. The Sony has perhaps better image quality, but the Panasonic has more zoom and 4K.

The other route is a DSLR or mirrorless with two zooms or a longer zoom. DSLRs have better battery life and generally more reliable focusing. Mirrorless show you the actual picture in the viewfinder (and whether it's too dark etc...), are smaller and generally focus better when shooting videos.

If you google the cameras you can find sample pictures to judge image quality. Zoom wise the RX100 is like 28-100mm, the RX10 is like 24-200mm and the FZ1000 is like 25-400mm. You can see some focal lengths compared her for scale, but remember with a sharp picture you can crop afterwards.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. For now I think it will shop around for a Sony RX100 II or III. How is the P9000 83x?

Edit: I was watching some comparison videos on YouTube between the RX100 II and RX100 III and the RX100 II had a much clearer picture. More detailed. The RX100 III has more better detail when in low light situations though, but I still prefer RX100 II because the image looks much better.

YouTube video example

Interesting. Thanks for the information. For now I think it will shop around for a Sony RX100 II or III. How is the P9000 83x?
I think when it comes to super zooms the more you zoom the worse the picture quality gets. It's passable, but it's not really my thing anymore. The thing being a variable aperture lens is also a pain. I think when I messed around with it the last time I saw it I had already gotten over super zoom bridge cameras. Does it work? Yes, would I ever cover an event with it for work or freelancing? No.

SiDCrAzY

So I'm trying to decide between the Olympus OMD EM10 and the Sony a6000. Leaning towards the Olympus mostly because of the price. Not sure if the Sony is worth it compared to the Olympus for the price they're asking for. Looking for some input/opinions.

Portraits, vacation photos, close ups of things like marbles.

Probably a few lenses sometime down the line. One for portraits, one for a bit more zoom, and one that's good at close ups.

I haven't tried many cameras, last camera was the Nikon P900, but I didn't enjoy how big it was and how I had a hard time taking a pic of anything or anybody if it moved even one inch without it looking blurry as hell. I need something that can take a picture and maintain focus of somebody even if they move a bit and something not as gigantic.

RuGalz

So I'm trying to decide between the Olympus OMD EM10 and the Sony a6000. Leaning towards the Olympus mostly because of the price. Not sure if the Sony is worth it compared to the Olympus for the price they're asking for. Looking for some input/opinions.

I haven't tried many cameras, last camera was the Nikon P900, but I didn't enjoy how big it was and how I had a hard time taking a pic of anything or anybody if it moved even one inch without it looking blurry as hell. I need something that can take a picture and maintain focus of somebody even if they move a bit and something not as gigantic.

Oly is probably going to suit you better since you are concerned about size. And personally I prefer smaller sensor for macro/close up work due to larger depth of field. The larger size sensor (compared to P900) will allow you to bump up iso to maintain a higher shutter speed to compensate for movements. Down the road, the 12-40 Pro lens is a great all rounder and pretty decent for close up even if it's not true macro. Add a 42.5mm/45mm prime for portrait and you are pretty much set imo.

brerwolfe

My biggest pet peeve:

I think my flickr is set up similar to make sure people aren't attempting to take my photos and print for personal or professional purposes. Flickr will display the full-res for the owner of the photo, but no one else.

The Chef

Just got a DJI Ronin MX to go along with my Canon 70D.
After playing with it for quite a bit I am realizing how desperately I need a monitor attached to the ronin.

Also, I think it would make sense for the person with the Ronin controller to also have a monitor. I wish you could use you iPhone as a display the same way with DJI drones but I dont know if that is possible.

Can anyone offer any recommendations?