• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Candy Swap Summer 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

goober

InaudibleWhispa said:
Yeah, can't deny that would be disappointing.

Got my haul from Crucified today, earlier than expected! All looks good to me, looking forward to diving in tonight! Thanks a lot man! The John Candy pic was an unexpectedly nice touch. Got a giggle out of me when I opened the lid.

gCgIh.jpg

Both mine and my friends packages are now sent, so Goober and Crucified should expect some goodies early-mid next week!

I'm excited! Hope your friend gets her package safely!

Coins

Banned
J Tourettes said:
My friend's candy has arrived. He took a pic:

jN7m2.jpg

I think it's fair to say he's a tad underwhelmed given the agreed $40 spend.
Is that candy already opened? Lol.

You should have been patient. :p

Ikkarus

JLateralus said:
My package from Ikkarus arrived yesterday!
Ah the Aero orange, it's sooo good right? I was half tempted to buy myself one when I went shopping for your candy. :D

The Nougat is a tricky one, some people love it and others hate it. Thought I'd see how you would like it. It's a weird one though I admit!

Really glad it arrived safely to you. :)

Most of all enjoy the super sweet British sweets!

Davedough

J Tourettes said:

http://i.imgur.com/jN7m2.jpg[IMG]

I think it's fair to say he's a tad underwhelmed given the agreed $40 spend.[/QUOTE]

Wow... I'd be hard pressed to see $10, let alone $40

Edit: At Wal-Mart, those Little Debbie brownies are usually $1. Those pink crushed snowballs can be had for about another $1 for the pair. I couldn't imagine those chocolate covered pretzels are any more than $3 and the bulk candy can be had for mere cents at any bulk retailer.

Yeah, I'd be pissed.

J Tourettes said:

for a split second I was like "I sent like 30x that amount of candy!!! lol
but then I realized it wasn't from me!
your's should be there any day now J Tourettes...and thank you again, I've gained 2lbs already...

Qasiel

Had a call from DHL today (woke me up whilst I'm currently on nights..!) and they say that they need a phone number and a physical address, not a PO Box, which they casually didn't mention when I was filling out the forms online. So, just waiting on a reply from my partner so I can get this candy out of the country!

Litflynt912 said:
for a split second I was like "I sent like 30x that amount of candy!!! lol
but then I realized it wasn't from me!
your's should be there any day now J Tourettes...and thank you again, I've gained 2lbs already...

No worries. I'm hoping it turns up tomorrow morning for my weekend cheat day
3AQmK.gif

Davedough

J Tourettes... seriously. The more I think about it, the more your post about your friend bugs me. Was that a GAF sanctioned trade from this thread or was it something that was agreed upon on the side? Your friend got royally screwed and that offending person should be outed. Thats some shitty shit right there.

Yea at J Tour - that's all gas station food here. Seriously.

Why would you spend a pretty penny on shipping, when you are only sending around $4 of candy. Dumb.

Oh and I found out me and my Candy Swap buddy have the exact same last name (it's not common either). Is Romeo doing some weird family connection stuff!?

Darknessbear said:
Oh and I found out me and my Candy Swap buddy have the exact same last name (it's not common either). Is Romeo doing some weird family connection stuff!?
Ha, I found out that my candy swap partner's mom's family are from a town only 20 minutes from my house.

I got my sweeties a couple of days ago, I've eaten most of it. My partner is was Srenity, I don't think my stuff has reached her yet even though I paid $77 for fast shipping.

My favourite things that I received were: hershey's white chocolate with biscuits in (was like a reverse Oreo) and Meiji Yan Yan (choc dip with biscuits).

GhaleonEB said:
A box so heavy it takes not one but two cute girls to hold it up. Shipped yesterday, Hypertrooper.
Argh can't wait.

I forgot to post some new teaser pics:
xZ6wU.jpg

0aEP2.jpg

(I think 15.7kg~34.61 lbs)
Your kids will hate Haribo after they eat the whole stuff, Ghal. I promise!

Well this thread took a turn for the sad :(

My partner and I are sending our stuff to each other soon (seems like we're a tad behind everyone...) and I wanted to post a teaser pic:

ZjcUNl.jpg

I went a little over budget to compensate the fact that hes paying more for shipping than I am. I also went the route of a shitton of small things over bulkier things. Even though theres some bags in their. Should be in the mail tomorrow ili0926.

Stet

Banned
InaudibleWhispa said:
Ha, I found out that my candy swap partner's mom's family are from a town only 20 minutes from my house.
After talking to her about it, she informed me that in the past twenty years, her cousins and their families have both moved even closer to you. Pretty wacky!

Chairhome

J Tourettes said:

http://i.imgur.com/jN7m2.jpg[IMG]

I think it's fair to say he's a tad underwhelmed given the agreed $40 spend.[/QUOTE]
That looks like he only spent $40 total maybe, with shipping. Maybe he didn't understand that it was $40 in candy, plus shipping. But still, ouch. That is terrible.

Chairhome

Tea and Toast said:
Just got my stash just now. Amazing!!!!! Thank You chairhome. Considering the heat at the moment, the chocolate is in perfect eating condition. Oh and you shouldn't have worried about variety, there is plenty! Shall post pics when I get home from work! :D
Yay! I'm glad it found you okay, I was freaking out about the variety. Hope the majority of it is stuff you can't get! If it is, I apologize.

J Tourettes said:

jN7m2.jpg

Well, that is definitely not 40 bucks. I would like to hear from whoever sent that before saying anything else.

You say that the agreed amount was 40$? You've got messages and whatnot, I guess.

Davedough said:
J Tourettes... seriously. The more I think about it, the more your post about your friend bugs me. Was that a GAF sanctioned trade from this thread or was it something that was agreed upon on the side? Your friend got royally screwed and that offending person should be outed. Thats some shitty shit right there.

My friend was pretty bummed out but what can you do? I'm hoping it was a misunderstanding or if my partner didn't have the budget for $40 he should've said.

On the bright side my friend could do with losing a few pounds.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Damn, I just realized that I'm going to be out of town all this week, which means I'll have to leave a message for the third roomate on the Whiteboard of Passive Agression asking him to look for any packages.

J. M. Romeo said:
Well, that is definitely not 40 bucks. I would like to hear from whoever sent that before saying anything else.

You say that the agreed amount was 40$? You've got messages and whatnot, I guess.

Pm'ed you.

Chairhome said:
That looks like he only spent $40 total maybe, with shipping. Maybe he didn't understand that it was $40 in candy, plus shipping. But still, ouch. That is terrible.
Even if that's the case (and I can totally understand that is a consideration), but the choices of candy are so uninspired. Nothing unusual at all. Red licorice, gumballs, peach rings, Sno Balls, Little Debbie brownies (Come on! I would have gone with Swiss Cake Rolls or Oatmeal Cream Cookies)? The chocolate-covered pretzels seem a little higher-end ($5 on their website). As with many things, it's not so much the cost that impresses or disappoints, but the effort put forth.

Yeah. That's all from a gas station. And its about 12 dollars IF that worth of stuff.

Chairhome said:

NOT 40 dollars at all. Trust me. I have bought all of those items many times in the past and it doesnt come CLOSE. Whoever sent that is def a d-bag.

J Tourettes said:
Pm'ed you.
I see. Now let's wait for ChocolateCupcakes to give us some insight in what happened or how much candy he sent.

It's a shame when these hings happen but we can't do much besides blacklisting the people who pull no shows and matching their "victims" with more reputable swappers the next time.

:/

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Argh can't wait.

I forgot to post some new teaser pics:

(I think 15.7kg~34.61 lbs)
Your kids will hate Haribo after they eat the whole stuff, Ghal. I promise!

Um. 34 pounds? 0_o

We might have an imbalance here. I sent 7.5, about $40 worth.

I'm taking you out to dinner at PAX. Nine times.

GhaleonEB said:
Um. 34 pounds? 0_o

And here I was, thnking you would never get outweighed in a candy swap.

Fifteen fucking kilos.

GhaleonEB said:
Um. 34 pounds? 0_o

Just enjoy it! It will be like christmas in August. I guess you can even bath in the candy.
But I don't want to see pictures of this

LeaveItAlone

Neo Member
Got my sweets from Ryaaan14.
fIZ67.jpg

Thanks mate! I'm a little intimidated by the big bag of chewing gum but chocolate covered jelly beans sounds like genius to me.

LeaveItAlone

Neo Member
Update on the "Big League Chew"...

My girlfriend just tried it and said "Oh my god. My mouth is generating so much saliva I'm not sure if I can swallow it all".

Is it meant to do that or has she had a stroke?

Ryaaan14

Banned
LeaveItAlone said:
Update on the "Big League Chew"...

My girlfriend just tried it and said "Oh my god. My mouth is generating so much saliva I'm not sure if I can swallow it all".

Is it meant to do that or has she had a stroke?
Glad you like your sweets dude! As far as the Big League Chew, that saliva in your girlfriend's mouth is just an orgasm from it's perfection. You haven't truly lived until you've tried grape Big League Chew.

Hope you liked the card I sent too :_D

Vire

I love this thread, just to see the wonderful goodies from across the sea.

I'm going to have to participate in the next one! :)

luiztfc

The_Technomancer said:
Damn, I just realized that I'm going to be out of town all this week, which means I'll have to leave a message for the third roomate on the Whiteboard of Passive Agression asking him to look for any packages.

And according to USPS tracking info, your package has just been cleared out of US customs! Stay sharp for candies.

GhaleonEB

Chef Cat said:
I always have to stop myself from swallowing Big League Chew because it's so delicious. ;_;
Same. My mouth floods with fluids and my tummy screams that it wants in on the party, and down it goes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
luiztfc said:
And according to USPS tracking info, your package has just been cleared out of US customs! Stay sharp for candies.
Shit, I feel really bad about losing the receipt on yours now, I have no way to track yours...

luiztfc

The_Technomancer said:
Shit, I feel really bad about losing the receipt on yours now, I have no way to track yours...

Hey, no problem. The only thing that matters is inside your box of cand... Heart!

bengraven

I wanna do a swap next year. Put me on the list early. My wife would be like "my god, that's stupid" until she sees the beautiful foreign sweets arriving at the door.

bengraven said:
I wanna do a swap next year. Put me on the list early. My wife would be like "my god, that's stupid" until she sees the beautiful foreign sweets arriving at the door.
That was gf when I participated in a gaf swap a few years ago. We ate so much candy the following weeks!

bengraven

Metroid Killer said:
That was gf when I participated in a gaf swap a few years ago. We ate so much candy the following weeks!

haha, exactly. This is how I picture it playing out:

"Listen, I want to buy $40 worth of candy and ship it to a foreign country".
"That's going to be incredibly expensive and we can't afford it!"
"I'm going to do it anyway, trust me"

Weeks later a package arrives from Europe or Japan or South America.

Her: "God, we'll never eat all this candy and our kid is going to get sick...this was the least responsible thing you've ever done"

Three more weeks later

Her: "Aw, we're out... :( "

bengraven

How it actually played out:

"So I'm thinking of doing this candy swap next year with GAF. We spend like 40 bucks and ship candy to another country and they ship candy to us...I know that it's kind of---"
"Oh wow, can we do that now?"
"Ur, what?"
"Can you choose what country?"
"I...I can probably specify..."
"I wonder if there's a GAFfer from Bolivia...oooh or Japan! Or UK. Yeah, tell them you want someone from the Bolivia, the UK, or Japan."
"So...you would be okay with that?"
"Sure, let's do it now."

...So whenever you guys want to do it again...hahahaha

GhaleonEB

BoboBrazil said:
Maybe their could be a Fall candy swap so you don't have to wait a whole year. I would like to participate in one.
They started out more frequent, but as they are very time consuming to manage we've gone down to one per year (I think the global recession helped on that front as well).

A fall candy swap would be welcome I'm sure, though I might only do one per year. By fall I'll still be working through Hypertrooper's haul. 0_o

Mikeside

bengraven said:
How it actually played out:

"So I'm thinking of doing this candy swap next year with GAF. We spend like 40 bucks and ship candy to another country and they ship candy to us...I know that it's kind of---"
"Oh wow, can we do that now?"
"Ur, what?"
"Can you choose what country?"
"I...I can probably specify..."
"I wonder if there's a GAFfer from Bolivia...oooh or Japan! Or UK. Yeah, tell them you want someone from the Bolivia, the UK, or Japan."
"So...you would be okay with that?"
"Sure, let's do it now."

...So whenever you guys want to do it again...hahahaha

where are you from? I have a buddy who would be up for a late swap with anyone outside of europe other than australia? send me a PM if you fancy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom