• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Candy Swap Summer 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tootsie pops, Sour patch are my new favourite things. In other news, I work in a backpackers and some Thai lady left 3 carrier bags of Thai Sweets/Crisps/Random oddities for a friend. She said I could have them if said friend didn't collect within 3 days..... He didn't.

I'm having to pace myself :D

Davedough

I would so be up for a fall swap. I've had most Asian candy and would love to try other parts of the world. If someone organizes a fall swap, I'm in.

adamsappel said:
Delivered on Monday, maybe?

Shit yeah! I still am honestly worried about my package getting family fucked by customs with the whole "YOU CAN'T SEND FOOD INTO THE USA" scare talk that our weird ass passive/aggressive post office clerkette gave to us.

I only wrote you a note. My idea was to include some post its with a small tidbit of history about each piece of candy -as I did a couple of swaps ago- but we were running out of time the evening we posted our stuff.

I will make a video when I get the box and open it/sample stuff!

The note is a very heartfelt one, though. Hopefully you can crack my crappy handwriting with ease.

Also, still waiting for J Tourette's partner to explain himself. Apparently he hasn't logged in a couple of days.

Davedough said:
I would so be up for a fall swap. I've had most Asian candy and would love to try other parts of the world. If someone organizes a fall swap, I'm in.
Me too. I was in the 2008 winter swap, and I'm craving for some foreign candy once again.

Being from Denmark makes it quite fun to select weird candy that can only be found here.

Mikeside

OK, TNT will be arriving this afternoon to collect the 2 boxes heading to the lands of Japan and the USA - should be with you guys in a few days.

Also - Holy whack-a-mole, my haul from caffeinedreamer arrived today and there's loads of crazy shit, I love it!

Am at work right now, so I can't post any pictures but will update when I get home.

For now, I couldn't help but try something out, so I'm munching on some Rose menthol gum...delicious!

Cheers caffeine, I'll update with full gratitude (and questions, particularly regarding the Pocari Sweat?) later! :D

Chairhome

Tea and Toast said:
Tootsie pops, Sour patch are my new favourite things. In other news, I work in a backpackers and some Thai lady left 3 carrier bags of Thai Sweets/Crisps/Random oddities for a friend. She said I could have them if said friend didn't collect within 3 days..... He didn't.

I'm having to pace myself :D
Glad you like the Sour Patch! That was my biggest concern since that was the biggest bag I bought. Also, The Tootsie Pops almost didn't make it... the bag wouldn't fit in the box so at the last minute, I ripped it open and tried to pour it all in there and it worked! Glad everything worked out!

This just in: Alba got her shit from caffeinedreamer. She sent me a crappy BB picture

mSoB0.jpg

I asked her to do an unboxing/sampling video for us. I'll keep you guys posted.

EDIT: Also, just got home and saw this

lDJx3.jpg

Maybe I'll have a video ready tonight.

I just got my candy from GK86!

IMAG0122.jpg

So much stuff! That Tootsie Roll candy bag is fricken' COLOSSAL, and all the cinnamon sweets look amazing. :D

Filed away under O for OM NOM NOM NOM:

IMAG0123.jpg

Edit: Holy shit, those Cinnamon Bun things are AMAZING.

Here's mine from Dai101. Pretty clueless as to what most of it is but that's half the fun :D
0jofj.jpg

I've PMed him about it but his parcel is stuck at customs according to DHL. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon or it's going to be stored in some warehouse indefinitely.

Dai101

Banned
ToastyBanana said:
Here's mine from Dai101. Pretty clueless as to what most of it is but that's half the fun :D
http://i.imgur.com/0jofj.jpg[IMG]

I've PMed him about it but his parcel is stuck at customs according to DHL. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon or it's going to be stored in some warehouse indefinitely.[/QUOTE]

Oh hi!! Didn't know it have already arrived to your house. Damn, MEXPOST is fast, faster (and reliable too) than i've ever imagined. I really hope you like most of the stuff.

[SPOILER]By the way, i have to reamove some of the stuff i wanted to send you, mostly beacuse it wasn't sealed (some of that stuff is bougth in raw, so no vacum or reatail package)[/SPOILER]

Well, DHL, i'll fight for my candy. Or i'll going to break into the warehouse you have them and take it!!!

I got my sweets today too...

I have to admit, I am bit disappointed, because I packed quite a big box of stuff (about 3KG) we agreed to $30 / €22... and I've only really got a 5 small boxes - some of which you can pick up in Europe - e.g. Starburst and Snickers (Which I'm pretty sure are British- I even remember their old names Marathon and Opal Fruits respectively.)

Ah well - well I had to try this once - maybe again next year

Yay, candy is here!

63l2g.jpg

Lots of interesting stuff there. My daughter loves popping candy, so she can't wait to tear into those. The "fried eggs" are hilarious. The violet candies are...an acquired taste. We had bought some of those on our honeymoon. The taste alternates between "this is oddly good" and "I'm eating soap." Lots of good lollies, too.

Thanks, JM. Another successful candy swap!

Also, great note. Free them, free them all.

And, nice ukulele. I have one, too. Be sure to include some playing in the video.

Dai101

Banned
Well.......... i just called the guys at DHL and it seems that i can't get my candy. For some bullshit in my local custom office (that's what they said) they can't realease the package until i get a custom clearance. To make this short, it will cost a LOT, and i guess i'll just give them the OK to send the package back to the UK.

Dai101 said:
Well.......... i just called the guys at DHL and it seems that i can't get my candy. For some bullshit in my local custom office (that's what they said) they can't realease the package until i get a custom clearance. To make this short, it will cost a LOT, and i guess i'll just give them the OK to send the package back to the UK.
Wow that sucks. Is it against the law or something to receive foreign confectionery? Or is it just a DHL problem? They certainly don't list it as against the rules at DHL. I can try again with Royal Mail if you want, although once it hits Mexico it'll be going through the same customs again.

Dai101

Banned
ToastyBanana said:
Wow that sucks. Is it against the law or something to receive foreign confectionery? Or is it just a DHL problem? They certainly don't list it as against the rules at DHL. I can try again with Royal Mail if you want, although once it hits Mexico it'll be going through the same customs again.

Maybe is has something to do with the parcel company (in this case DHL) because last week when i was getting quotes for your package the guy at FedEx told me everything you need to fill for they realease the package when it arrives at UK, almost the exact same thing that the guy at DHL told me minutes ago.
When i went to MEXPOST (operated by Correo Mexicano, our goverment operated mail) i asked for this and they told me that no, you (i.e. the recipient) don't have to pay nothing else for customs or anything else, i just filled a custom form right away, it cost me nothing (was included in the price for the whole service) and they said me it was for the immediate release of your package when it landed in customs. That even reminds me, when i've ordered games and other things like, dvd's, clothes etc. and beign delivered by UPS or FedEx the guy who delivers it charges me for the "customs quota" or "cargo por aduana" as a % of the total cost of the goods. When it gets through regular mail they don't charge you nothing.

So, if it's ok with you yeah, we can try the Royal Mail, ask them first all about this mess first ;).

Once again, i'm really sorry for all this mess

Just had a late night knock on the door and it was my neighbour bearing the candy from Litflynt912:

tszwc.jpg

Freshly opened

wHSc0.jpg

The haul

Thanks Litflynt912, not tasted anything yet as am shortly going to bed and thanks to JM for organising.

J Tourettes said:
Just had a late night knock on the door and it was my neighbour bearing the candy from Litflynt912:

tszwc.jpg

Freshly opened

wHSc0.jpg

The haul

Thanks Litflynt912, not tasted anything yet as am shortly going to bed and thanks to JM for organising.

so glad it came...enjoy it! Hope you gain as much weight as I have! : D

thanks for the organization from J.M. and parterning me up with J Tourettes

Timan

Developer
All this making me hungry

Question, has anyone bought candy online (usa) trying to find a good place with nice prices, free shipping and hopefully "fresh" candy.

Timan said:
Question, has anyone bought candy online (usa) trying to find a good place with nice prices, free shipping and hopefully "fresh" candy.
I have bought from this online store and even included some items in past swaps. Shipping is not free and it's more geared towards volume corporate purchasing, but they have a lot of candy I've never seen anywhere else and gladly bought in bulk. They're good about sending along coupons once you become a customer, too.

http://www.sweetservices.com/

Shiv47

My box from Kafel arrived today, but no one was home to sign for it, so I have a stop to make at the post office tomorrow on the way to work. Probably for the best, as it otherwise would baked in 95 degree heat.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
JessicaPadkin said:
I just got my candy from GK86!

[IM G]http://www.jessicapadkin.com/GAF/IMAG0122.jpg[/IMG]

So much stuff! That Tootsie Roll candy bag is fricken' COLOSSAL, and all the cinnamon sweets look amazing. :D

Filed away under O for OM NOM NOM NOM:

[IMG ]http://www.jessicapadkin.com/GAF/IMAG0123.jpg[/IMG]

Edit: Holy shit, those Cinnamon Bun things are AMAZING.
With that bag, you will have candy for yrs to come lol. And those cinnamon buns are addictive as hell. Enjoy and pace yourself!

iamtheb

When I got paired up with bpod, I'll admit I was expecting to come away somewhat disappointed. Not because of him, but because I'm from the US and he is from Canada. Happily, I was totally wrong. This guy went above and beyond the candy call of duty. I'll post pictures tomorrow, but I'll say this: I got my very own Sackboy and copy of White Knight Chronicles! If this counts for anything, I want everyone to know that he gets my glowing recommendation. If you happen to get paired up with him in a future swap, you won't be disappointed.

Man, now I'm worried he'll be disappointed when he gets what I gave him. :/

J Tourettes said:
My friend was pretty bummed out but what can you do? I'm hoping it was a misunderstanding or if my partner didn't have the budget for $40 he should've said.

On the bright side my friend could do with losing a few pounds.
Nevermind.

srenity

Neo Member
Just picked up my box from the Post Office today!
I got home and went to my room to retrieve my phone to take pictures. I think my dog was curious as to what was in the box as well :p
boxarrival.jpg

candyins.jpg

candyall.jpg

For our $20 limit, PumpkinPie had sent WAY more than what I had sent. I think I only sent 40% of the amount that he sent over and I thought I sent a lot, haha... :X Most of the chocolates became deformed from the heat, but by the words of Homer Simpson, "IT'S STILL GOOD, IT'S STILL GOOD!" Thank you PumpkinPie for the sweets! They all look so tasty!!

Now that I know how the process works, I'm totally down for doing another candy swap in the future :D

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Nevermind.

Actually, I do mind. Like I told you via PM, I would like to hear your side of the story.

adamsappel said:
Yay, candy is here!

Lots of interesting stuff there. My daughter loves popping candy, so she can't wait to tear into those. The "fried eggs" are hilarious. The violet candies are...an acquired taste. We had bought some of those on our honeymoon. The taste alternates between "this is oddly good" and "I'm eating soap." Lots of good lollies, too.

Thanks, JM. Another successful candy swap!

Also, great note. Free them, free them all.

And, nice ukulele. I have one, too. Be sure to include some playing in the video.

I'm relieved! And don't you ever talk smack about those violets, buddy! Or you and I will have to meet outside!

I'll try to edit the video this week. Your haul was great. Those twinkies will be my bane. Thank god there was only one box.

Enjoy! <3

J. M. Romeo said:
Actually, I do mind. Like I told you via PM, I would like to hear your side of the story.

... There was a reason earlier tonight, about 2 hours ago - something about it being too heavy at the post office and not having enough cash to pay for it.

So I think he said he took some of the stuff out, but didn't realise how little was left...
</causing_sh't>

Gemüsestäbchen said:
... There was a reason earlier tonight, about 2 hours ago - something about it being too heavy at the post office and not having enough cash to pay for it.

So I think he said he took some of the stuff out, but didn't realise how little was left...
</causing_sh't>
I see. I still would like to get the words from him tho. Thanks for the reply.

nateeasy

Banned
So I got my fucking candy. Very good haul. Very pleased.

Interested in trying the Millions. Very first thing I dug into was the snickers. The one candy there I have constant access to here in the states. Looks like the Wispa bar got a melted pretty hardcore. But everything else looks fine.

Tried the Lemon refreshers. Very good.

candyfq.jpg

I noticed that something I sent I also received.

decaf

IamMikeside said:
Also - Holy whack-a-mole, my haul from caffeinedreamer arrived today and there's loads of crazy shit, I love it!

Am at work right now, so I can't post any pictures but will update when I get home.

For now, I couldn't help but try something out, so I'm munching on some Rose menthol gum...delicious!

Cheers caffeine, I'll update with full gratitude (and questions, particularly regarding the Pocari Sweat?) later! :D
No problem, I haven't checked your pics for fear of spoilers yet - feel free to put up some pictures on here as the ones I sent you were a bit meh.

Pocari Sweat - just add water! 1 litre possibly. I should have checked... I always buy it in bottles :-|

The thin packets of stuff that looks like meat is most likely meat. Heads up if you're a veggie.

Mikeside

caffeinedreamer said:
No problem, I haven't checked your pics for fear of spoilers yet - feel free to put up some pictures on here as the ones I sent you were a bit meh.

Pocari Sweat - just add water! 1 litre possibly. I should have checked... I always buy it in bottles :-|

The thin packets of stuff that looks like meat is most likely meat. Heads up if you're a veggie.

Cheers bud - I shall be putting some pictures up this weekend - have loved some of the stuff so far, but that meat... not a huge fan!

Some of the gum, though...oh man, some of the gum :) There's a cola one that looks like big tablets and they're like a cola-explosion in my mouth. Love it :)

Nyrad

Woooohooo!
Big thanks to TurbulentTurtle from Canada who currently is in Hong Kong and sent me this great variety of Japanese and Hong-Kong Candy! I didn't try it for now - i'm gonna wait for my gf and some friends to come over but wow it looks totally awesome!

25zOx.jpg

I hope you get my package soon as it should be at your place in the next few days! :D

(bigger picture here)

Looks like someone at Customs had fun with my box. (Got this picture from my mom, who I had it shipped to). Or maybe it just broke?

ZkpDG.jpg

Babyhack, I'll try to get at you to see what is missing and such, if anything.

Got my candy package yesterday. Until now I tried out the Salted Nutroll, the spaghetti of happiness and toothache, the cookies with mint.

Salted Nutroll: I was really suprised to eat this "creation". I never thought that something like this exists. But yeah it tasted good. And I have another one! I'm going to share that stuff with my friends tomorrow. Can't wait, what they say about it.

The spaghetti of happiness and toothache, oh yeah I don't know the real name, but it was one spaghetti pasta with a lot of candies around. After I ate a piece, my mouth was in Heaven, but my tooths were in hell. I don't know, if I could eat this thing weekly or monthly. But it will never be regular. It was a funny experience.

The cookies with mint: Mmh. My mom is loving it, I kind of hate it. I never thought that there is a devil on earth, who created a cookie with mint. You know. In Germany every product with mint is either healty bubble gum or Tic Tacs. So cookie, which should taste sweet, and mint, which should taste refreshing, don't work together well. But my mom love it, and it is hers now. And I'm happy about it.

2pdI5.jpg

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Looks like someone at Customs had fun with my box. (Got this picture from my mom, who I had it shipped to).

Babyhack, I'll try to get at you to see what is missing and such.
Woah. My package hasn't arrived Ghal yet, but I wish this won't happen with my package.
I hope my package will arrive tomorrow

Nyrad

@TurbulentTurtle argh! the lemon candy! yellow hard candy in a lemon themed packaging that tastes like salt! guess i got punked ;D

but there is really awesome other stuff here, the cinamon chocolate is just great and so many other awesome jelly stuff. thanks again man! :)

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Got my candy package yesterday. Until now I tried out the Salted Nutroll, the spaghetti of happiness and toothache, the cookies with mint.

Salted Nutroll: I was really suprised to eat this "creation". I never thought that something like this exists. But yeah it tasted good. And I have another one! I'm going to share that stuff with my friends tomorrow. Can't wait, what they say about it.

The spaghetti of happiness and toothache, oh yeah I don't know the really name, but it was one spaghetti pasta with a lot of candies around. After I ate a piece, my mouth was in Heaven, but my tooths were in hell. I don't know, if I could eat this thing weekly or monthly. But it will never be regular. It was a funny experience.

The cookies with mint: Mmh. My mom is loving it, I kind of hate it. I never thought that there is a devil on earth, who created a cookie with mint. You know. In Germany every product with mint is either healty bubble gum or Tic Tacs. So cookie, which should taste sweet, and mint, which should taste refreshing, don't work together well. But my mom love it, and it is hers now. And I'm happy about it.

http://i.imgur.com/2pdI5.jpg

Woah. My package hasn't arrived Ghal yet, but I wish this won't happen with my package.
I hope my package will arrive tomorrow
Ah yes, the Nerds Rope. Nerds are literally pure sugar crystals covered in flavored sugar, and then they're stuck to a sugary rope. I can have about one per year, lest my teeth fall out of my face. They're a quintessentially American candy, excess upon excess. Had to include one. :)

The salted nut rolls are a favorite of mine.

Also, watch out for the sour gumballs. You've been warned. :D

Sorry you didn't like those cookies, hopefully the others are more to your liking. Nutter Butters are heavenly. Hope you enjoy the rest of it, and the volume met your expectations. The bag of marshmallows didn't fit - I'm going to give it to you at PAX.

Your package is still in transit, but I'll post pics when it arrives. It's so large they probably had to find a larger plane to transport it on.

I didn't have the time or money to participate in this candy swap. If someone organizes a fall candy swap I'm so in!

Also, I could then send chocolate without worrying about it melting along the way.

GhaleonEB said:
Also, watch out for the sour gumballs. You've been warned. :D
I hope I could say: I didn't cry. But there were tears. *finding an excuse* I watched the Bungie ViDoc again. That was the source of the tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom