• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF.com: An Interview with David Jaffe

David Jaffe is the Creative Director at Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc, Santa Monica Studios, and was able to sit down with us and talk about how he got his start in the industry, his projects, and his opinions about next-gen. Several of the questions asked were originally posed by NeoGAF users in this thread back in October.

This interview is uncensored, so if you're sensitive to occasionally rough language or you're playing loudly at work you have been warned. There is also a God of War spoiler within, so skip from 34:47 to 35:00 if that is a problem.

Download the audio interview (mp3 format, 62 minutes)

Does he talk about Twisted Metal?
djhammer.png

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Red Scarlet said:
Does he talk about Twisted Metal?

Yes. He talks about pretty much everything, there's quite a bit there on a variety of subjects.

colinp

Banned
Good stuff, it's reaaaally long. SOmebody's gotta post the highlights, don't have time to listen to all of this before work!

Some select highlights:

Being Hazed as a QA N00b

Thoughts on Working With Notable Developers

His Own Way of Game Design

Solution to Rising Development Costs

What David is Watching on TV

Boozin' at the Playboy Mansion

PSP has Games?

Calling All Cars

Project HL

One Console Nation/Future

Franchise He Would Like to Work On

Message for NeoGAFfers

Back story:

David Jaffe and I had been working on this forever, and we had some miscommunication along the way. Initially, I was thinking e-mail was best since I work during the day, but he was saying over the phone was way better because of time. We had set a date, and unfortunately, he was under the weather. So, of course, you want someone to be healthy, and a week later, he dropped me a line and you hear the results.

David Jaffe's stuff is largely unedited. Only my voice has been cut down cause I know you don't want to hear me fumbling along. David was on the phone with me for over an hour on his cell beginning at 9PM PST, so that alone is much appreciated. This was recorded off Skype via HotRecorder, and Hyoushi did a lot of touch ups to the sound (who also does a lot of editing for the GAFcasts.)

Monk

Banned
I am downloading this just to hear about one thing. Is he with Jason Rubin in the sense that outsourcing to china for reducing dev costs? With all the possibilities in reducing dev costs i would hope that no one else has similar ideas.

Monk said:
I am downloading this just to hear about one thing. Is he with Jason Rubin in the sense that outsourcing to china for reducing dev costs? With all the possibilities in reducing dev costs i would hope that no one else has similar ideas.
That suggestion wasn't discussed.

Monk

Banned
WasabiKing said:
That suggestion wasn't discussed.

Regardless, he doesnt seem to be the kind of guy that would be into that. Great interview :)

Though from his answers, he is the perfect guy for Sony since they are about the experience of games and he is about events and how to wrap gameplay around it.

Though if you have another chance to talk to him I got a sort of philosophical question for him:

Does he think that the gap between devs and gamers are widening, as in do devs have any idea if gamers of all kinds will like it? If so what does he think is the best way to counter this problem.

Petrarca

Banned
cool thanks

to the mods, any chance of giving my privilege to post new thread back? thanks I promise I won't post anymore stupid suff

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Petrarca said:
cool thanks

to the mods, any chance of giving my privilege to post new thread back? thanks I promise I won't post anymore stupid suff

Not the appropriate place to discuss.

theBishop

Banned
Great interview. Way to go getting the HL genre out of him (FPS) :)

I didn't hear anything about the motion controls in there. I would've liked to hear his ideas about it.

Hyoushi

theBishop said:
I didn't hear anything about the motion controls in there. I would've liked to hear his ideas about it.
he answered that question in a perfectly adequate manner in that gametrailers interview. well, his drunk alter ego did.

theBishop

Banned
Hyoushi said:
he answered that question in a perfectly adequate manner in that gametrailers interview. well, his drunk alter ego did.

ah yes, i forgot about that. God of War minigames FTW...

Wollan

An hour+ worth of discussion. Great work.
Downloading now and I'm going to listen to it as soon as I find the time (not now).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Hyoushi said:

What did he say?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Great stuff. The guy is cool as hell. I was loling when he talked about Indiana Jones. I don't agree with the one console bit though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I cringed at the intro "NeoGAF presents..." that sounded so weird. But I'm listening to this now.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
:lol

I don't care what anyone says, but you have the charisma to not care and curse in an interview, it just demonstrates how absolutely down to earth you are.

I laughed my ass of when he said "We're ****ed" in regards to GOW. Hahaha.

hyp

"Less is better."

i totally agree. there's just not enough time to enjoy all the great games.

Top Bottom