• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #183 - "Last Call"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

On word choice and purple prose, I defer to the advice of Walter Alexander Raleigh:

Where there is merely a column to fill, poverty of thought drives the hackney author into an illicit fulness, until the trick of verbiage passes from his practice into his creed, and makes him the dupe of his own puppets. A commonplace book, a dictionary of synonyms, and another of phrase and fable equip him for his task; if he be called upon to marshal his ideas on the question whether oysters breed typhoid, he will acquit himself voluminously, with only one allusion (it is a point of pride) to the oyster by name. He will compare the succulent bivalve to Pandora's box, and lament that it should harbour one of the direst of ills that flesh is heir to. He will find a paradox and an epigram in the notion that the darling of Apicius should suffer neglect under the frowns of Aesculapius. Question, hypothesis, lamentation, and platitude dance their allotted round and fill the ordained space, while Ignorance masquerades in the garb of criticism, and Folly proffers her ancient epilogue of chastened hope. When all is said, nothing is said; and Montaigne's Que sçais-je, besides being briefer and wittier, was infinitely more informing.
Tempered with further advice by the same:

Let the truth be said outright: there are no synonyms, and the same statement can never be repeated in a changed form of words. Where the ignorance of one writer has introduced an unnecessary word into the language, to fill a place already occupied, the quicker apprehension of others will fasten upon it, drag it apart from its fellows, and find new work for it to do. Where a dull eye sees nothing but sameness, the trained faculty of observation will discern a hundred differences worthy of scrupulous expression.

Though I prefer the brevity and wit of Mark Twain's

The difference between the right word and the almost-right-word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

Sethista

Together with the challenges we could introduce a topic point for the thread as well, this discusison is interesting, and it rarely happens.

2 cents

Red

I have virtually no outlet to talk about this stuff in real life, so I'm for. Sometimes it's nice to talk about ideas, let them percolate.

Nezumi

So you mean another thread to talk about this thread? Seems a bit overkill. I mean there is absolutely no reason not to have this kind of discussion in here. Just because people rarely do it doesn't mean that there is a rule against it or that it is frowned upon (far from it actually). I just feel like yet another thread would only lead to confusion and would vanish into the depths of the OT even faster than the challenge one's do between peak times.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So you mean another thread to talk about this thread? Seems a bit overkill. I mean there is absolutely no reason not to have this kind of discussion in here. Just because people rarely do it doesn't mean that there is a rule against it or that it is frowned upon (far from it actually). I just feel like yet another thread would only lead to confusion and would vanish into the depths of the OT even faster than the challenge one's do between peak times.

Yeah, and there is also the writing OT(that ashes already posted a link to) that also exists for this kind of stuff, even if we rarely talk about it there.

Red

I don't think the idea is to create another thread. It's to introduce a talking point in the challenge threads, or to ask a question, that can be discussed in the weeks leading up to submissions. A discussion related to the theme and secondary objective.

mu cephei

I'm for it.

Don't fear criticism. There are worse things than being called pretentious. Push against your boundaries. Experiment. Embrace fear in writing. Few emotions are better for heightening your sensitivity, and getting at the heart of things. Especially with short stories, where novelty can shine, especially in settings like this, where there is no risk involved in your submissions. Let yourself play.

I'm very keen to get criticism for my writing generally! (it's an invaluable tool for improving). Anyway, good advice, and I totally agree, these challenges are fab for experimenting.

You over-think things.* Intelligence is sexy. Personally, I like that people are complicated creatures. The thing to be is to be yourself. If not than be the best version of yourself. Not a lowly shadow nor a hyper-idealised version.

And anti-intellectualism isn't fair a critique to charge someone with when taking the wider context into consideration. For example, the so called genre writers rallying against literary fiction, Mike M and Cyan, especially in a recent topic, ahem, tend to use far bigger words, or rarer words, in any typical challenge, than the so called literary writers, Crunched and I. Mike especially has a huge dictionary inside that head of his.

And anyhow these are all paper arguments, the four above all vote for each other and everyone else; and interchange doing so on a consistent basis. A good story is a good story.

Mm. Well I don't know how to defend the proposition (which I just found interesting, not necessarily right) without seeming to attack just about everyone, now :p so I won't.

I admit I totally overthink things

Cyan

Banned
Always fun to get a conversation going in the thread. :) If the thread-starter (or someone else) feels like kicking off a discussion, that's totally cool. This one has been particularly interesting to me.

Anyway, think I'm going to walk over to the library and get that Devil book.

Hmm. I don't believe there would be much to talk about in terms of "pretentiousness" as most people use it though. Most of the time, it really is an anti-intellectualist reflex stemming from ignorance rather than experience. At the time, someone wrote that the first season of True Detective was bad for being pretentious in the sense that it openly engaged in philosophy. Imagine that, blaming a TV show for engaging in the most human of all human abilities aka a writer's goddamn job (you can call it human condition, spiritual, ascesis, analysis, human truths, or whatever you want, but it's all the same fucking thing: rethinking the present in some way or form. No matter which genre or how down to Earth it might be).
Here's an article where someone dealing with that particular kind of craptastic naysayer:
http://thepointmag.com/2014/criticism/doubters
Though personally I would summarized to "they're either idiots or assholes", but obviously being polite about it is the nicer thing to do. I don't have the patience for it.

What the naysayers obviously meant to imply was that it engaged in shallow, poorly understood philosophy much like the average YA novel will do. Good recent example of this: The 5th wave. "How do you get rid of a species" and other tropes right of the YA checklist. Things tend to be tropes because they are clichés without any reflective thought by the author that tell you they at least tried to avoid it. "this is how the worlds ends", definitely isn't. "...began the rest of my life" also isn't, yet I've seen both as serious start and ending sentences in YA novels (once in the same novel actually). Now, your first and last sentence are pretty much the most important ones in your work, so if you used a cliché for them, there's no way that you have anything worthwhile to say about the present, or in general. Compare that to something like the first paragraph of Lolita (not my example, but whoever I robbed this notion from), which immediately grabs the attention and captures what it's going to be about with its playful use of language (or rather the implication of playfulness by using "Lo-lee-ta" in a distinctly childlike manner at the end of it, whereas the rest is an adult perspective. So you immediately get the distance and difference between the narrator and the referred object):

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.

It's also a good example of making obviously horrible people seem likeable at the same time. But despite the controversial nature of this story, it is definitely not cliché. You may not like the subject (and you probably should be a bit revolted), but it is good use of language and unique. Now this is a very down-to-earth type example and as such can avoid claims of pretentiousness and have a larger amount of readers.
But even with the use of full-on quotes from philosophy that doesn't mean you suddenly became pretentious. True Detective avoids that by making it central to both Cohle's character and his development through time, which was an aspect of the narrative in this case, so it worked to its benefit. So we can tell it's somewhat pretentious in quoting philosophy, but it isn't doing so for no reason, unlike the common use of the T.S. Elliot quote "this is how the world ends" (ironically the full quote where it's repeated three times and only then goes into 'not with a bang' is used in King's own TV adaptation of The Stand as a title card, but that's as far as it goes there). Or the way that Farcry 2 has all its character audio-speedreading through Nietsche.

Anyway, when j'accuse-ing someone of pretentiousness what we generally mean is empty, hollow phrases or words used only because they were heard somewhere and sounded cool without understanding their actual content, referent, or intended contextual meaning. The hardcore example of this is of course the postmodern essay generator, which churns out something that sounds like something, would probably be something if translated by member of the same language community (discipline), but ultimately only barely manages to hide its fluffy lack of significance behind big, important sounding words. I've already namedropped the master of doing the polar opposite, of saying the big stuff with the very smallest of words, and that is of course (and presumably among others) Stephen King. Even if he might know when he's being full of shit, no reader would ever be able to tell.

I'm definitely not on that level. I like big words and I cannot lie.

MilkBeard

I have to admit, I've not read Lolita, although it's on my list to read. However, just from reading that paragraph, I get a great sense of the story, and yet without even much of the story being told to begin with. It is a beautiful selection of words that describe something so well, that no word is wasted. That's kind of an ideal, I think, to shoot for. To be so natural with your words that each one is selected primarily because it is the most effective to describe the situation. No more, and no less. That is my opinion, anyway.

I also want to play with the idea of saying less, and yet implying more. It is merely another form of the same style, just with a different objective. It's dangerous, though, as you risk the possibility of going over the reader's head completely or giving them the wrong idea. It is more a fascination than anything, though, and probably should only be used in carefully chosen situations.

Red

Nabokov loved words. I think his romance with language bleeds through every line in that book. I remember reading it and thinking, this guy is writing about a love affair with English.

MilkBeard, check out Charles Baxter's "The Art of Subtext."

Think of writing as having three levels:

One is the literal, superficial level, "Frank walked to the bar."

Two is the inferential, subtextual level. Here meaning is implicit. Words have a deeper meaning at least one character is aware of, "Frank thought of his mistress and told his wife, 'You're the only woman I truly love.'"

Three is the evaluative, authorial level. Here no characters are aware of the deeper meaning, though they may feel one is there. This is the level where we can interpret the motivation of the author. This is the realm of nature, and of god, "Frank held his wife's hand and watched the tree splinter and fall; this tree they had planted on their wedding day; this tree they had put into the earth, as they did their child."

In most stories, try not to convey any big-picture ideas on level one. Level one tells us only what we need to know—it's not that interesting. Level two is where characters tell their own stories, and where we get the most information about relationship and motivation. Level three is where we connect character and plot to larger ideas, and where the author may conjure images or ideas that relate to and reinforce the theme.

Check out the stories of Raymond Carver. Check out Cathedral.

Metaphor is able to say a lot with a little. Nearly the entire last section of Cathedral exists on level three, which is most obscured, and yet the meaning could not be clearer.

The quintessential example of third level story might be the end of James Joyce's The Dead. (Ashes, back me up here.) It presents a unifying vision of the world without ever saying that explicitly, but the meaning is so vivid and direct that you can hardly tell Joyce is, basically, describing a mere landscape.

Ashes

Banned
The Dead is my second favourite short story of all time with Chekhov's Misery being first. But it's hard to do what Joyce does though. You know make the mundane extraordinary.

On The Dead, what I think some people miss is it's placement in The Dubliners. It's the last story. The finale. The culmination.

Lately, I've had flannery o'connor on my mind when thinking about short stories. I've not much to add to that except that more folks should read what she wrote and separately also try to take in some of what she spoke about writing itself.

mu cephei

Great post, Crunched (please refer to post #61). Lots of books etc have been mentioned in this thread I now want to look up.
Anyway, when j'accuse-ing someone of pretentiousness what we generally mean is empty, hollow phrases or words used only because they were heard somewhere and sounded cool without understanding their actual content, referent, or intended contextual meaning.

This is it, though. The artists using these phrases likely think they do understand them. There's a certain contempt which comes with the label 'pretentious'. Anyway, I just looked up where I came across the idea, and it was a review of a book. Pretentiousness: Why It Matters, by Dan Fox.
I pulled it rather out of context, so I'm in danger of revealing my initial post as pretentious by the definition above lol.
It was this section:
But the very use of the word “pretentious” here, as usual, signals anti-intellectualism. Popper, while pretending to be an enemy of anti-intellectualism among the young, feels free to indulge in it himself by calling other philosophers mere emitters of “pretentious verbiage”.
I think it implies the idea elsewhere as well, it's mostly about how calling things pretentious is lazy, and that by its nature all art is pretentious. It's quite an interesting review, it has some stuff to say about flowery language :)

MilkBeard

So how are people's stories coming along? Haven't started yet? Stumped? Or have you already hammered out a first draft?

I'm about halfway through the initial write-down. My story keeps changing a little bit as I go. It is a drastically different style from my last story, although no less experimental.

Mike M

Nick N
So how are people's stories coming along? Haven't started yet? Stumped? Or have you already hammered out a first draft?

I'm about halfway through the initial write-down. My story keeps changing a little bit as I go. It is a drastically different style from my last story, although no less experimental.
Third draft. Probably get another 5 passes in before due date.

Chunky

Hey gaf, first time entering one of these challenges. The topic gave me the kick up the arse necessary to bang out this idea for a story that's been rolling in my head for a while, so thanks Cyan!
Call
I've got it to a state I'm basically proud of. There's still a lot I'd change about it, but if anyone's kind enough to throw some critique my way it would help a lot. Cheers!
edit: oh forgot to put the word cout: 1837

Nezumi

I haven't started yet (surprise!) but there is an idea forming in my head I will try to shape into something useable during the hangout tomorrow.

Red

At 2095 words, and will probably have to give it a total rewrite because of the length. Have a few other ideas I might try, if time permits.

Mike M

Nick N
Spaceships!

Pew pew pew!

Hey gaf, first time entering one of these challenges. The topic gave me the kick up the arse necessary to bang out this idea for a story that's been rolling in my head for a while, so thanks Cyan!
Call
I've got it to a state I'm basically proud of. There's still a lot I'd change about it, but if anyone's kind enough to throw some critique my way it would help a lot. Cheers!
edit: oh forgot to put the word cout: 1837

You still have a week, you needn't rush anything : )

But some thoughts:

* Ending a sentence with "C, D, E" and starting the next with "A" winds up reading as "C, D, E, A" at first, which engenders confusion since he's trying to get to F.

* Verb tense changes at the second paragraph, then again at the third. Happens repeatedly throughout the rest.

* Lots of technical errors. Missing/misplaced punctuation, extra/missing words, inconsistent paragraph spacing and indentation.

* Dialogue was natural sounding, even if I would quibble with formatting.

* The conflict is pretty anemic. Mark's goal is to attend the funeral, which may be denied to him, so he at least has something at stake in this. But his only obstacle is obtaining Haley's permission, which she immediately grants when asked. There's not even benevolent antagonism at play here. It works as a piece of character development from a larger piece, but doesn't have the bones to stand alone on its own.

Cyan

Banned
Hmm, I've got an idea that might be interesting to try out. But it's not really a good fit for the secondary since it's not really a normal story and it's weirdly structured. Guess we'll see.

Ashes

Banned
Probably fits the other writing thread better, but I am doing some explorative work into a new novel. Seeing if there is any oil is this field so to speak.
Will post a short story I am writing as part of it. Not the beginning. About half way through.

Cyan

Banned
Probably fits the other writing thread better, but I am doing some explorative work into a new novel. Seeing if there is any oil is this field so to speak.
Will post a short story I am writing as part of it. Not the beginning. About half way through.

Yesssssss.

Red

I tried to write a novel while I was in college. I wrote nearly 600 pages in notes, maybe 25 pages of story, and didn't write again in earnest for almost four years. I still have those pages somewhere and they feel like a weight.

MilkBeard

This would probably be a good place to test strong ideas that you want to expand upon.

I had a story that went over well in my short story writing class group. May or may not expand the idea into something bigger at some point, maybe a novella.

I tried to write a novel while I was in college. I wrote nearly 600 pages in notes, maybe 25 pages of story, and didn't write again in earnest for almost four years. I still have those pages somewhere and they feel like a weight.

should make for an epic BBQ. But hey, you wrote a goddamn epic BBQ. Or novel, depending on how you still feel about it. It's more than I've ever written, I'll tell you that much. Excluding bitching on the internet, of course.

Also, I was thinking the other day how boring exploding spaceships are (oh hi Mike). I'm starting to understand why Douglas Adams included remarks about that in Mostly Harmless, and why Star Trek has become dull: tension dies quickly when you can just blow everything the fuck up. And more importantly, it quickly goes over into power fantasy. Like: NO, I HAVE THE BIGGER PE- I MEAN GUN. This kind of happens in every JJ Abrams movie now too. "oh no, there is a bigger thing"... yeah, so? Are we supposed to be excited by an arbitrary raise in power level? I realize I say this as someone currently enjoying a username very much related to power level bullshit, but it's really boring when you don't plot around it. All those jobbers and sub-battles are there to create characters and arcs for them, not to just have cool-aid guy show up and blow everyone the fuck up.
Or being late, a la One-Punch Man. Which is kind of why I was thinking about that. Like if you had to continue a video game's plot after the biggest, toughest Bad has been dealt with. What do you do when you can't create tension from 'man versus god' because 'man' has switched places?

Red

There's an essay by Stephen Minot about the origin of flash fiction, how there are five traditions that short-short stories fall into. He describes how writers are partial to the form they enjoy the most. I agree. I described conflict above, how I think it is important. Especially true once you start to extend beyond the 1,000 word mark. I tend to enjoy stories with some kind of conflict more than those without. But I don't know if it's fair to say all stories must display conflict as some kind of imperative. Minot talks through the types of stories where this may not be the case.

Would it be okay to share a couple of page of the essay? I don't know if that's allowed, or if that's in the same bag as magazine scans.

Cyan

Banned
As a reminder, the standard hangout is in two hours! Details and link will be posted half an hour in advance.

Cyan

Banned
Hangout starts in half an hour. Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

Note that Google Hangouts recently moved to a new format, which doesn't include the text chat. If you want to switch back, hit the three dots in the upper right corner and choose the option to switch to the old version.

MilkBeard

Finally finished the first draft. It turned out a bit differently than I planned, but it could work. I'm only a smidge over the word limit so I can definitely make it fit.

MilkBeard

Last Call, exactly 2,400 words

I cut a bit much from this, but I hope you enjoy it!

I enjoyed the story quite a bit, and I'll have a more detailed critique later. One thing I will mention is that there are some grammar errors/typos in a few places in the story. A few of them make it hard to understand a few sentences.

Also, ending spoilers for people who haven't read it yet:
The final sentence is incomplete. I'm not sure if that was intended or an accident. It would fit with what he was saying at that given moment, but it is unclear to me. If it is intended, I would recommend making it more obvious.

Izuna

Banned
I enjoyed the story quite a bit, and I'll have a more detailed critique later. One thing I will mention is that there are some grammar errors/typos in a few places in the story. A few of them make it hard to understand a few sentences.

Also, ending spoilers for people who haven't read it yet:
The final sentence is incomplete. I'm not sure if that was intended or an accident. It would fit with what he was saying at that given moment, but it is unclear to me. If it is intended, I would recommend making it more obvious.

It's intended.

I finished this up while in class, I'll go over and proof it again. Actually if you have time you could let me know what they are. ��

If it is during speech however, the grammar mistakes were intended.

Actually yeah, I'll remove it for now and reupload just a proof read version.

--

Yeah okay, thanks lol. I got this sorted now.

EDIT: old link is fixed, there actually were a few sentences that were incomplete because I was trying to size down the word count. =P

MilkBeard

It's intended.

I finished this up while in class, I'll go over and proof it again. Actually if you have time you could let me know what they are. ��

If it is during speech however, the grammar mistakes were intended.

Actually yeah, I'll remove it for now and reupload just a proof read version.

EDIT: Okay so I'm in the process of uploading the fixed version (I only spotted a couple of things to change). I am worried that some things are just british vs. american.

- Unkept
- Mind my asking
- have got

I guess I'll just let it stay as it is but, if there are other mistakes, I'm not spotting them. I would like someone to let me know what they are haha.

Spoilers:

a common theme btw, is that the killer drops stuff whenever they pick something up and doesn't mention what it is they are dropping

It's not so much British vs. American, at least with those examples you gave. There were a couple of instances that felt like it might have been edited down (to fit the word count like you said) and some words were cut from certain sentences or general syntax errors. It was just a few peppered throughout the story and didn't blend, as the rest of the story was edited well and understandable besides.

I have read through the story and it reads better now. However, there is one sentence here that has me scratching my head. Maybe it is a saying in British, I don't know, but I know what he's saying but the sentence doesn't really make sense grammatically:

"Yeah, bitch, there is only keep one bullet in the chamber."

But it comes together better now for sure.
and I suppose, the end makes more sense as my mind isn't questioning it because of previous syntax errors.

Izuna

Banned
It's not so much British vs. American, at least with those examples you gave. There were a couple of instances that felt like it might have been edited down (to fit the word count like you said) and some words were cut from certain sentences or general syntax errors. It was just a few peppered throughout the story and didn't blend, as the rest of the story was edited well and understandable besides.

I have read through the story and it reads better now. However, there is one sentence here that has me scratching my head. Maybe it is a saying in British, I don't know, but I know what he's saying but the sentence doesn't really make sense grammatically:

"Yeah, bitch, there is only keep one bullet in the chamber."

But it comes together better now for sure.
and I suppose, the end makes more sense as my mind isn't questioning it because of previous syntax errors.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Thanks for spotting, I'm fixing it now. I read it over like a hundred times and didn't see that.

--

EDIT: Okay final fix I'll do, any more I'll leave it as poor writing. I didn't see the word "keep". Even when I read it back my brain kept on missing it haha

MilkBeard

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Thanks for spotting, I'm fixing it now. I read it over like a hundred times and didn't see that.

lol. This is why every writer needs an editor :). Sometimes I read my own shit many many times and miss stupid things. You can only read your own story so many times before the lines start to blur together.

Izuna

Banned
lol. This is why every writer needs an editor :). Sometimes I read my own shit many many times and miss stupid things. You can only read your own story so many times before the lines start to blur together.

After your detailed critique, I'll share my fact sheet with you. It's really a bunch of things that were made hard to catch since the cuts. =)

I almost think half of it works better with the cuts. Like, it reads differently the second time through now or something.

I mostly want to just test this style of writing because it's of the style I wanted to write a novel in.

Now hurry up and share yours!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom