• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #183 - "Last Call"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

After your detailed critique, I'll share my fact sheet with you. It's really a bunch of things that were made hard to catch since the cuts. =)

I almost think half of it works better with the cuts. Like, it reads differently the second time through now or something.

I mostly want to just test this style of writing because it's of the style I wanted to write a novel in.

Now hurry up and share yours!!

I could definitely see the style being explored further, in a novel or otherwise.

As for my story, I don't want to pull the trigger just yet. I need to go over and do some 'sculpting' if you will, to better draw out what I'm trying to say with the story. It's mostly complete, though.

Ashes

Banned
Turns out there ain't much oil here. Will put on the back burner. Now onto something completely different...

Red

2302 words. Might be done. Had to stay up late to get the words down and at 3 a.m. I don't think my bleary-eyed judgment is doing the story any favors. I'm off Friday so I'll comb it then. Looking forward to reading everyone's entries.

kaitain19

On second thought, I don't think I can finish mine in time. I may have sit this one out.

Regardless, I do need a critic with English as their first language. So if anyone still want to read my story, I'll probably post it in a few days.

Red

I'd be happy to read it. I'm sure others would as well. Let us know what specific points you want us to pay attention to.

MilkBeard

On second thought, I don't think I can finish mine in time. I may have sit this one out.

Regardless, I do need a critic with English as their first language. So if anyone still want to read my story, I'll probably post it in a few days.

Try to get as much done as you can for the deadline, and post it here and everyone will provide their critiques. If can't make it, you could put it at the start of the next thread and it can be a secondary topic of discussion during the slow days of the challenge. We could use more topics of discussion to keep these threads going.

Nonsense. There are still more than twenty four hours left.

Ain't no way in hell I can produce something good in that small amount of time. Look what I did last time and I had more time. That's not smart. All that's going to happen is I'm going to put down some random shit and get blown up worse than before.

Ashes

Banned
Ain't no way in hell I can produce something good in that small amount of time. Look what I did last time and I had more time. That's not smart. All that's going to happen is I'm going to put down some random shit and get blown up worse than before.

Ain't gonna win a thing or go anywhere in life with that attitude.

Suck it up and allow yourself the room for growth. By which I mean, just get something in. And improve by sheer practise.

felon

Neo Member
submission maybe

I have come to know several of my limits in these past couple of days. Clearly I am a very poor judge of both how long it takes (a novice) to write and how many words it takes to construct a story. I have failed.

But I still won a moral victory! I wanted to use these challenges as a chance to start trying to write and I'm glad I did. I more or less finished my piece, and I'm pretty happy with what I managed in the little bit of time I secured to write it. Unfortunately, it's twice as big as the word limit. Oh well! By the time I realized how many words it was going to take, I knew it would be a challenge to even finish in time (it was), let alone do major editing. Managing to cut it down to half the words would have required at best a painful reconsideration of even the broadest strokes, so I'll just try to plan better next time.

I don't know what the policy for this sort of situation is, so I guess I'll submit a part of the story officially, just to take part, and then link the whole thing separately for opinions and critique. If this is unfair or disqualifies the submission for voting, I completely understand. Either way, here you go.

MOLE-MEN SEASON SIX - Partial story, official submission (2319 words)

MOLE-MEN SEASON SIX - Full story, NOT submission, just to share (4920 words)

Red

Several of our writers participate in play-by-post Pathfinder. :)
Read two pages.

oeXpXT5.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
Hey Mike, do you play tabletop games? Many times your stories make me think of D&D scenarios.

On more than one occasion I've actually written stories for these challenges explicitly set in D&D scenarios.

Several of our writers participate in play-by-post Pathfinder. :)

There's also Quest for the Holy Relics and its sidequel, Excalibur. Navigating the Astral Sea will be ending "shortly" by PbP standards, and then I'll have the next one running. The three previous games have about a novel's worth of material if you skip over the side talk and dice rolls.

Plus, tomorrow's my monthly local D&D game, where I play an arachnomancer named P'aetor P'arquor.

So yeah, I guess I play quite a bit. PnP gaming is kind of a blindspot for my usual disdain for high fantasy with potions and elves and such. I have such a weird relationship with fantasy...

mu cephei

I'll be posting a story. I left editing it to this morning, and I... overslept. Yeah.

So sorry this is late
Museum Studies

Half of it was in present tense, the other half past tense, so I really had to edit it.

Mike M

Nick N
Oh hey, somehow I missed this one:
And anti-intellectualism isn't fair a critique to charge someone with when taking the wider context into consideration. For example, the so called genre writers rallying against literary fiction, Mike M and Cyan, especially in a recent topic, ahem, tend to use far bigger words, or rarer words, in any typical challenge, than the so called literary writers, Crunched and I. Mike especially has a huge dictionary inside that head of his.

I wouldn't say I rally against literary fiction. It's not my bag, but I recognize that it has a valid place in the world. I do chafe at the conventional "wisdom" that literary fiction is somehow intrinsically superior to genre fiction (I specifically recall one review for some book I don't even remember that described it as "sub-literary" that angried up the blood)., but I don't think genre is superior either. It's just preferable for myself.

I do agree that pointing out pretentious writing is not going to be anti-intellectualism in and of itself. As Ashes notes, I have an abundance of five dollar words. My writing group tends to do the heavy lifting and filters them out before you guys get to see them, but I wouldn't dare accuse them of being anti-intellectual just because my word choices are outside the bounds of most people's understanding. It's like if I start talking shop with anyone outside my field, I'll just be met with blank stares because I have a specialized knowledge about it which they lack.

Red

I don't think five dollar words are beyond the understanding of most readers. But they can be out of keeping. They can be like finding fazzoletti ai funghi porcini in your alphabet soup. There's a time and place.

MilkBeard

Only four stories left to read through.

I think reading through so many stories is actually a good way to improve. I can see what works and what doesn't in a more detached manner.

Red

Responses

Chunky - Call

This is a great scenario to probe as a short-short story. A phone conversation between old friends. Few things are more intimate, more easily dramatized. Mark's anxiety gives us a look at something brewing, something brewed. It's got potential.

I'd like some more specific, concrete detail. We get the idea of outside noises, but they are not particular. We're told of generic children-walking-home sounds, generic construction sounds. These don't do much to conjure a scene. What precisely does Mark hear? Anything unique? Surprising? These are the types of detail that thread the needle. Right now the yarn is jumbled (not always; we'll get to that).

You have some idiosyncratic similes. "Rings like a drop of water down a glass," "voice like a guitar with a cut string." I don't grasp these images immediately... I am not sure, even with time to reflect, that I grasp them now. But I appreciate their singularity, and I think you can edge them a little closer to something digestible. Be careful not to spend too much time in abstraction. There are a lot of similes here. Pick the ones that are most essential. Keep those, and let the rest give way for physical detail. Let us experience the world as Mark experiences it, through sensation. The inner mind is good, and sometimes necessary, but to connect and empathize with other humans we need physical perceptions. Things we can relate to. Smells, sights, sounds. An over-reliance on comparison muddles the dream world. It gets us too caught up in the ideas of things, and keeps us distant from the things themselves.

The first three paragraphs don't give us much. The story begins when Mark decides to pick up the phone. The detail in your opening is fine, and can be dispersed elsewhere. Let us get to the dramatic action as quickly as possible.

Hayley is a sweetheart! Why is Mark afraid to call her? Why does he hesitate his request? There must be more conflict. Let us see why he is uncertain about the call. Raise the stakes. Let Hayley push back. Amplify Mark's stress. Right now he asks for things, and they are given to him. That's nice and all but it doesn't make for a compelling journey. He receives a catharsis, but we do not. We do not experience any of the tension he is under. Let us live in his skin a while.

Finally, that paragraph describing the photos in his office, the photos not in his office... that is excellent detail. Gives us character, history, shows us relationships, setting, motivation. We need more of that. No need for simile when the image is so strong, and so inherently meaningful.

Izuna - Last Call

Your second paragraph is a strong opener. Skip the first. Excise it completely and the story will swing much harder from the get-go. A problem remains: the opening is so stark and gripping that the rest of the story seems line a step down in intensity. Even the ending does not escalate things, but instead resets the scenario and reverses roles. The structure is circular. This is not necessarily bad but it causes a sense of deflation following the initial scene. We relax when our expectation is to tauten. Think of a string pulled tight, given slack, more slack, then suddenly pulled tight again. It's a curious structure.

I suggest providing the chemotherapy line earlier, as a way for us to invest in your narrator. It's a good detail, but isn't used to its potential. Your narrator will benefit from revealing the info earlier. She is currently reprehensible, and the line about her daughter is left adrift. Dwell on that more. If we know she is doing this job for someone else, she becomes more sympathetic. We're brought more into her world, we know her motivation. Motivation establishes risk. Risk establishes stakes. Stakes make the conflict interesting.

We spend a lot of time in the narrator's inner point of view. Think of inner POV as having three R's: reaction, reflection, revelation. As an author, writing a first-person narrator, you must guide her to the imperatives: react, reflect, reveal.

Reaction is active and in the moment. Reflection is a way of weighing options, and functions primarily as a precursor to reaction (the space between stimulus and response). Revelation are the deeper thoughts, which reveal history and personal motivation, beyond the story which we observe.

Your narrator currently spends a lot of time in reflection, and while reflection is necessary, having it weigh so heavily on a story as immediate and poised for tension as this one drags things through the mud. For example, it's fine and even beneficial to the portrayal of character to have your narrator discuss her satisfaction at finding a stocked fridge, but we spend more time discussing her food choices than the scene warrants (although you do a great job with specificity and should not lose that on revision). Try to spend more time in the mode of reaction. The inner mind is interesting, but more interesting are behaviors and interactions between characters.

The hostage/hit is played generic, and it's clear this is intentional, but since we spend so much time with him his act becomes detrimental to the story. It's not that interesting. He doesn't hold up to the narrator (who definitely is interesting). Flesh him out a little more, let him act independently. Don't force him into a plot device to keep the story moving forward. Let him be more unique.

Good job sticking to a first person POV, with no breaks, and no extraneous information. We get a consistent sense of a world filtered by the eyes of the narrator.

MilkBeard - A Lapse of Judgment

My two primary criticisms of your last piece, flat dialogue and an overabundance of incidental detail, were almost totally addressed here. Your dialogue in this piece is sharp and interesting. All characters have distinct voices. No one is bogged down with small actions, which allows us to fill those things in for ourselves. You describe the actions we otherwise could not imagine. That's the important stuff. By doing this, you pop your scenes to life in vivid detail. Not every scene is equally successful, but, for instance, the two paragraphs which follow "Horses winnied...." are whip-cracks. You do a good job choosing what is important for us to know, and that allows us to imagine the world more completely.

There is some disconnected information occasionally. "It's been this way ever since Rhadam let us pass into Alia" doesn't tell us much about the characters, and we don't have enough context to understand what this means. It's clear you have a broad setting here, and there is a lot of thought all around the body of the story which we only get glimpses of, but sometimes those glimpses do less to build the world than they keep us from getting to the meat of the story. I like having some background with the names of gods and worlds, but a few references are too abstruse to move things forward.

You might experiment with introducing the conflict a little earlier, see if you're able to shorten the piece while retaining the distinguishing characteristics of your protagonists.

Keep an eye out for telegraphing (i.e. "ominously"). You do a good enough job establishing the images here that we don't need to be told how to feel about them. This isn't something that should be strictly avoided, but if you believe you've successfully conjured a scene, you probably don't need to signal the reader how the scene is supposed to feel.

Try staying a little more in the external world. Describe the inner life through the behavior and actions of your characters. When you do this, you do it well. Rabbi's fidelity is clear by the way he relates to Callie. That kind of thing speaks louder than simply telling us he is loyal to her.

Your enthusiasm is refreshing, and I look forward to seeing more from you.

Mike M - Calling Upon the Master

You always pick such great names.

Easy to identify Malliant's motivation. This makes the plot easy to follow and interesting to discover.

Various incarnations of Vendrix are wonderfully realized. Impeccable details. Brings a dead guy to life more admirably than most of us do with live folks.

A few unnecessary words. You can get the same meaning across while saying less, much of the time.

Malliant is a great character. He has a tragic flaw, pride, which brings about his demise. Nice awareness on his part at the end of the story. It's on the nose but absolutely believable and in character. In his fury, he cannot let go. There will always be someone to remember the Master. A fool's errand, doomed from the start. Great drama.

This works well as a short story. It feels complete. One of my favorite Mike M stories yet.

felon - Mole Men

The idea here is great. The premise kept me going.

Crop your dialogue to essentials. You can imitate one or two false starts or interjected conversation sounds (erm, uh, ah, haha, etc), but any more than that and it gives the impression that the dialogue is loose, unraveled. Even the shorter version can be cut further. But don't get me wrong: there is plenty of material to mine here, and it could just as easily go in the other direction and become much longer. Even if it expands, try to cut through things a little faster. The conversation with the Brainpower CS guy goes on a long time but little vital information gets revealed. Clover has a defect, and they want to expedite her return. That's all we need to know to keep the plot moving forward.

Doesn't really end. Escalate that conflict. How can you make the situation worse? How can it reach a tipping point, and how will that point be resolved? So far you have a hint that something might happen, but nothing materializes. I was disappointed that the Brainpower warnings did not amount to anything. The promise was there.

The relationship between Harvey and Clover is all potential. These are interesting characters we want to know more about. Reveal them by testing their limits.

Ward - They Yearn for the Cup

This feels less like a story than a character sketch. Some good material, but not in a compelling configuration. Maybe the biggest roadblock: Aika is content with his station, so there can be no drama, no conflict. He must want something. If he has no desire, there is no reason for anything to change, and so we don't have a story. We end where we begin.

Be aware of revealing too much exposition through dialogue. Novelist Elizabeth Bowen said it well: "Speech is what characters do to each other.” It should not exist only to reveal information. Instead, think of each instance as its own conflict, with all participants desiring some particular outcome. Don't be afraid to give us the expository writing on its own, without the frame of dialogue. It will feel more natural hearing it from the narrator, and not from a character saying something everyone else in the story already knows.

Find a flaw in Aika. Something to push him out of his comfort zone. Something internal. He needs to struggle in some way. Then use your well-developed backstory and externalize that conflict. Take us on a journey.

Tangent - Vigilantism Contract Work

Enjoyed this. Great word choices. Itsy's infatuation with doilies is an awesome little quirk. She is a fun character. Can we get to her quicker? Much of the info we're given up-front comes across elsewhere, and might be better dispersed more evenly throughout, especially if it means we get close to Itsy from the very start.

I am not sure what the ending signifies. That her work is not over? Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get it. It seems like it should be a significant reveal but I don't know what Itsy plans to do with her discovery.

Sober - Over the Top

The camaraderie of your characters could not be more clear. We understand them immediately.

Stay active. Avoid gerunds. I've seen writers defend gerund and participle use in screenplays as a stylistic choice, often unaware these verb forms generally force a passive voice (i.e. "It is raining"). Screenplay must constantly drive action. Things must happen to thrust the action forward. Active voice also tends to dig good words out of the author... it requires more descriptive terms than standbys such as "walk," "lean," "stand."

Try not to place character attributes in action blocks ("naive").

I am not sure what "a long set of beats" means. It sounds musical. A single beat should be enough for a change in the tone or quality of the scene. Your characters take a moment and realize things are not as they seem. The change is obvious in context (it is a good moment). We do not need the extra emphasis.

I don't follow the resolution of the theme. Why does Thomas hope the Germans are thinking of he and his friends? That they might not be enemies? The characters have suggested this previously, but there is nothing in their relationship with the Germans that might back it up. I think it's a good idea, and I like when it comes up in fiction. But here it feels like there is a link missing in the chain that gets us where we end up.

Your action is easy to follow. That's the most important part to get right with a screenplay, so you've done well here.

Flowers - Untitled

SevenEight's gun is a rich detail. Well implemented all the way through, and contributes to a great ending. Giving up the gun is an inspired move. What a way to show character growth.

I like all your characters.

I am not sure what's going on in the memory sequence. Jumps from place to place... I understand it is meant to be dreamlike but it is unclear when action has shifted. Is there any way to ease us into these transitions?

Dialogue could be trimmed. "They feel/we don't" only needs to be said once, and in few words. We get the gist.

Cyan - Three Versions of the End of the World

Really have to nitpick to find anything I disliked. The last couple sentences, "Rebirth/A second chance" probably ain't needed. "Builded" is a typo in there. Maybe instead of "Earth catches breath," it could be "universe catches breath," to remain consistent with the Big Freeze. I don't know, man.

Clever, narrator bringing two opposing ideas together to form a vision of immortality. Perfectly titled.

This might be my favorite of any entry I've read during these challenges. Top notch. Loved it.

mu cephei - Museum Studies

Your setting is vivid and interesting. The characters are imaginative. Your language is clear, and on the whole the story is well written. You have a creative vision which is well-suited for science fiction. You also maintain POV well, and we are given much crucial info through the prism of character. I enjoy that.

Despite the creativity, you take a long time building the world through description of setting. In a longer story that's probably fine, but here it creates a huge block of info we must digest before getting to the real story. There is a full page of text before anything happens. Try to get to the action quicker. Start with a character in the midst of something, performing an action.

There is a lot going on. Many characters to follow in such a short space. None of them are poorly drawn, but it's tough to settle into one perspective when we keep shifting. I don't know if the italics provide the effect you're looking for. The writing can be separated without the stylistic change. But it's not as if the italics get in the way of the writing, so it's really up to your preference. I think the transition between sections and action breaks could be a little clearer, just a sentence or two each time to ease us through.

I read this one over a few times and I'm still not sure I get it. There are a lot of grand ideas. The different perspectives are interesting but there is so much to take in it's a little overwhelming. I don't know that it fits into the word limit without sacrificing clarity. A lot of the backstory occludes what really matters. "She knew she was seen as a failure," something about a rocky planet being studied. I don't need any of that. It's like we're seeing your notes on character when we should be seeing the story. Keep it in mind, but scene these things. Make them active. This is mainly an issue with the first page. Once the characters interact things become more interesting.

Nezumi - Night of Song

I enjoyed the story, but there's not much plot. Things happen, but I don't know the reason why. There was a fight. What about?

Do we need the description of scenery at the beginning, before we get to the Night of Song? Most of it seems irrelevant to Tashpati's concern. It's meandering.

At the end we learn Tashpati hopes he's not the last one left standing there, because he doesn't want to be alone. Why doesn't he seek out the other singer? That sounds way more interesting to me than the tradition that's described here, something that's happened over and over again. What makes this instance interesting? What sets it apart from all the other times he's done this?

Your imagery is often beautiful, and kept me reading. I like the tone of this piece.

Ashes - Form and Substance

Not always 100% clear where we are in space and time, but I get the gist. Enjoyed the characters and the struggles they face. I enjoy your idiosyncrasies. Thought the dialogue was a little heavy on occasion but the tone of your speakers was always on-point. Husband maybe too fanatical. His outbursts are monstrous and I had trouble understanding why Hasina would be with him at all.

We are in the story immediately, and things are always moving. We're swept up. The action is vigorous, perfect for the length. Mostly dialogue but with just the right details revealed outside of speech. It reminds me of a story I read recently, "Durga Sweets." Not the content but the motion of the dialogue, and a love for old friends that is handled with scrutiny.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't think five dollar words are beyond the understanding of most readers. But they can be out of keeping. They can be like finding fazzoletti ai funghi porcini in your alphabet soup. There's a time and place.

I mean more that I, specifically, sometimes use words that people don't understand and can't even figure out in context. I'm better at it than I once was, but my first year or so of this was just chock full of stuff like that. For instance "phrenic." Most searches are going to tell you that it's a word for things relating to the diaphragm, but I used it in an even more obscure context.

Red

I think that's a common foible. I used a lot of specialized words in my mid-college-years stories. They suffocated the text. I remember one story where a character was named only "the peripatetic" and was described down to the opisthenars. Some pages were so dense my writing group complained they could not get through them over the weekend because of the time needed to search obscure definitions and decipher neologisms.

MilkBeard

I think that's a common foible. I used a lot of specialized words in my mid-college-years stories. They suffocated the text. I remember one story where a character was named only "the peripatetic" and was described down to the opisthenars. Some pages were so dense my writing group complained they could not get through them over the weekend because of the time needed to search obscure definitions and decipher neologisms.

Yeah, I guess a good way to see it is that you have to think about what image that word is going to create in the reader's mind. If they don't know the word, then it won't create anything at all, and an obstacle has just been placed between your story and the reader.

That's not to mean everything should be dumbed-down, though. I like learning new words, as do probably most people who enjoy reading.

Red

What I tell myself is "respect the intelligence of your audience, but also respect their time; be aware you always overestimate your ability to make things clear, even at your most modest." No reader should feel obligated to search for obscure terms, especially when there are a shit-load of them in a short piece. That's disrespectful to your audience, who are choosing to spend some small part of their lives living in this space you've built, time they can't get back and so generously give to your effort, with no expectation of return. It's good to have a broad vocabulary but bad to indulge yourself at the expense of your readers. Accessibility and ease of style should be important goals for any writer.

MilkBeard

Critiques

Well, they are somewhat like critiques. I've simply written my impressions after reading the stories. They may or may not be useful. Votes are below the critiques.

Call by Chunky-

The descriptions feel natural and help to build the scenes very easily for my imagination. However, I agree with crunched that, in the beginning, we need some details that pertain to character or place in a personal way. The visualization is good, but what is being described is also an important thing to focus on. In a short story I feel that most details should provide some relation to the story itself.

You need to choose a tense and be steady with it. Personally, I enjoyed the present-tense feel of the story, it's just a matter of making it consistent.

This story feels like it is building up to something bigger. Tension is lacking, and while it didn't take away my enjoyment from reading it, there needs to be a bigger conflict. The reason why he was worried about her answer was brushed away with a vague line: “We shouldn't worry about those petty battles.” What happened? It's such a small line that it slips away and doesn't leave an impression. If this is the reason why he's worried, then there needed to be a bigger show of it. I am left looking somewhere else for the conflict.

I would, however, enjoy reading this story further if it were part of a bigger plot. What that tells me is that you've got a good way of setting up a scene and characters. Just work on the technical side, and find ways to build your conflict and resolution.

Last Call by Izunadono-

I enjoyed the setup of this story. You have a contract killer that has captured the mark and is about to finish him off. Almost feels like a Tarantino flick, or something along those lines. The narration of the main character gives the story a personal feeling. You get a good sense of the main character's perspective. The strongest part of the story is that we see the experience through the main character.

The twist later in the story that the captor was actually an FBI agent came as somewhat of a surprise. I knew a twist was coming, but I think this came with little inclination. Sometimes twists can appear out of left field and feel a bit unbelievable. I'm wondering if there is some subtle hint that could be shown, or some more clever way it could come about. At this point, I'm not sure what qualification he had for being an FBI agent. All we know is that he mentions it, so we must believe it. Anyway, it might be a matter of word limit, but a little bit more depth in the reveal of the twist would go a long way for making it have more impact, and give this character some weight.

As for the ending, it's pretty interesting. It makes me think that this story is basically a narration in the main character's head. Like you are witnessing the thoughts. There is a lot of potential for this style, if you think about it. The main character's point of view is the biggest strength.

I generally liked how the story was written. It is fun and light despite the serious topic. Also, who's Yuri? We don't get to know much about her except for one or two lines at the end. We know she's the main character's daughter, but that's about it.

They Yearn for the Cup by Ward-

This story has an interesting premise. The take on 'ascending' almost feels biblical, but also gives a science-fiction feeling. There is mystery in what they are 'ascending' to, but it is an interesting concept that leaves me pondering after the story has finished.

The story itself starts strong: we get a sense of characters and their struggle, how they feel they've been left behind. The second half of the story is where we kind of lose the plot a bit. The narration begins describing vague concepts and situations. Let me give an example:

“He did learn more, but nothing he ever wanted to know. There was no value in living past your prime. Those that did, they become soldiers or breeders. It was a perpetual cycle, and those with the genetics to fill those roles endured labor. “

This leaves me a bit conflicted. I feel that once the conversation was over, the narration goes about on about the character and tries to provide development, but it feels a bit unearned. This might be just my own opinion in the matter. But I want to see more specifics about the situation and Aika. And the narration is kind of trying to fill in that role of characterization that is missing otherwise.

There is a clear conflict, but it seems to dissolve by the end of the story. Not all stories need to arrive at a riveting climax, but some build of conflict is necessary. It almost feels like the story is written in reverse: we get the conflict early on, and then by the second half it gets dissolved away.

Calling Upon the Master by Mike M-

The story, at the beginning, felt like an exciting foray into something with a Lovecraftian twist. In this case, I might have expected something really foul to happen. However, the story surprised me by the path it took. Malliant was full of ego as he revived his master for the first time. And during the final resurrection, we find that what Vendrix said held weight, and all his efforts were for naught.

I enjoyed the eldritch nature of the story. However, I felt as though the descriptions were a bit dispassionate. Perhaps that was the intended effect, but to give an example, when Malliant summons his master a second time, what was supposed to be a gruesome event that took place barely registered in my mind's eye.

I enjoyed the fact that the story did not go an expected route. Malliant began to realize that his efforts were in vane. One thing I think could improve is the character personalities. There isn't that much to differentiate Malliant and Vendrix. They talk almost identically, except for Malliant's egocentric nature. While I assume this could have been intentional, a little bit of character differentiation may help the story feel more personal.

Mole Men Season Six by felon-

I enjoyed the character and personality of the story. Even if the idea of an A.I. with a conscience is pretty cliched, the personality of the story drew me in enough so that I didn't really care. The quirky nature of the company (producing advanced technology despite having a ridiculously outdated answering system) I found comical.
I would have liked to see more development of the A.I. and why Harvey was against it having a conscience of its own. There is one other critique I can offer. In the beginning of the story, the details are held back on the fact that Clover is a robot. This does create the revelation later on when we find out directly. However, there isn't much description of clover. I feel like, say, if we were watching this scene as if we were there (or in a movie) we might have already known. Or maybe not. Perhaps you meant for Clover to be as lifelike as a human. But there isn't much description of Clover in that sense. I would have liked to see more of that to give a visual sense of the robot.
I'll be interested to read the longer version.

Over the Top by Sober-

The setting of what was presumably Wold War I was nice. I enjoyed the banter between the different soldiers. The whole ordeal was entertaining enough. I can see that the story was trying to display the sort of fun, camaraderie that is often depicted in movies among soldiers at war. All the settings were aptly described and it was easy to envision the sequence. The characters, though, I didn't get a sense of their nationality. They seemed straight out of modern day America. But Americans weren't really in the war at that point. I do understand that the characters are meant to be British, but there isn't much to signify that.

The 'story' that was being told about the Germans and the 'bluebloods' was a little bit unbelievable at first. Not that it actually happened, but how Thomas was trying to convince James that they were 'just regular guys too' like them. The fact that these guys are engaged in war and in a situation of life-and-death didn't seem to ring at all in their conversation. This message could still be portrayed, but one has to look deeply at the mentality of someone who is stuck in that position.

The story had a lot of personality, and I think with a careful look at these details it could be quite a good play. I would probably focus on making the oral story more interesting and with more unique details.

The Three Versions of the End of the World by Cyan-

The nature of religion and all of the different depictions of the end of the world is a fascinating subject and worth going into in many ways. I recognized some names from the story and others I did not. Upon further investigation, I found that there is no (immediate) information about Willem Eberhardt or Jacqueline Cho. This blend of real history and fiction is quite interesting. And to do it in a way that is akin to an essay. It feels like an essay written by a fictional character in a fictional world that has the same religions as we do. It is an interesting experiment in writing, and one that I think is worth following down the rabbit hole.

And unlike a traditional story, it lacks a real plot, however, there is a conclusion of which the author comes to, which brings all the different world religions together: rebirth. It's hard for me to critique a work like this, so all I can really say is to keep developing the idea.

Form and Substance by Ashes-

The unique perspective and voice make this story something that sticks with me. Seeing different parts of this woman's life; one, whom I assume, is someone that embraced a new way of life (becoming a muslim). Also the contrast of religion and how she has dealt with the topic of giving life and losing it (and taking it away). Her relationship with Ashley and Dave is interesting, as well as their different viewpoints on the similar subject. I admit I had to read the story a second time to fully grasp the dynamic.
One thing I would say, is that this is a story I'd like to read with more detail. The scenes shift rather quickly so it was hard to follow the plot at first. And really, I wanted to see more of each scene, especially the shorter ones. Perhaps a few more descriptions of the setting to help set the image in my head.
This is a good story, and one I'd be interested in reading more of from this character's point of view.

Museum Studies by mu cephei-

the intergalactic setting is an interesting one. The main character is hosting alien guests from other worlds, and we find out that they are all discussing what is to happen to the planet that Rezhi is observing. I found the setting to be believable. I enjoyed the mix of characters, although I still don't know who Rezhi is. I assume that she is human, but I didn't find anything that placed her as such. Perhaps she is another alien of some sort.

I found the focus of the planet to be interesting. It is a planet that is dying, and shares similarities to earth. They all have differing opinions on what happens to it. And in the final bits I found Rezhi's character. I kind of wished there was more in the beginning to characterize her point of view. The part with Kelar was a good example of how to give character development. That scene gave a really nice visualization, although I don't understand why it was in italics. Also, the final paragraph about Kelar seemed out of place. The story could have ended with the scene with Rezhi. The last paragraph seems like it should have been placed before, during the initial scene of Kelar embracing the planet.

One thing I think could improve is the character descriptions. The way Shamrur is described, for example, works fine, but the descriptions feel clinical, and don't actually paint a good picture of what it looks like. Besides what it is made of, how is the being perceived by the human eyes? Is the skin texture rough or slimy, is it a strange green color, or have skin like a human? This is just me giving ideas for how to describe a creature in a way that brings about a vivid picture.

Night Song by Nezumi-

This story reminds me of Native American mythology. The vivid images of the moon, and the singing help to calcify the setting in my mind. I had trouble a little bit with the depiction of the past while Tashpati was singing (by the way, the name changes from Tashpati to Tathpati halfway through). The blending of present and past can be difficult to thread into a paragraph at the same time, and sometimes it's hard to tell what is happening when. The action happens a bit too quick during this sequence, and I would have liked to see it slow down and deliver some more details to let the image settle in.

It's kind of a sad ending, and depicts the nature of what has happened to indigenous people in different countries. It's hard for me to give other critiques for the story, though, other than the fact that I wanted to see more detail for the depiction of the culture's past. I suppose in doing so, it might bolster the effect of the melancholy ending.

Smoke by Crunched-

The story has great descriptions, and precise details to leave a solid impression upon me, in a way that the story actually feels real, like it exists. It's rare for non-professional writers to write in a way that seems to keep with the best of them. Crunched, you have a way with words and it would be a shame if you didn't try to send out your stories to publications.
As for critiques, the only things I can think of are this: the story itself is something that has been done hundreds of times before. In that sense, we know of a few possible outcomes to this type of story: they either do it, or they don't. That being said, it can't really be called a criticism, as what makes a good story is often in the personality and character, and this story has it in spades. I do like the fact that the story takes the usual scenario, and kind of flips it around a few times, which left me guessing what would happen at the end. Making a story like this, which has been told many times, to have that effect is not a small feat.
One other criticism is that there are a few sentences that are a bit long and full of descriptions. Your way with words is clear, though, so I wasn't left scratching my head.

'Untitled Robot Story' by FlowersisBritish-

Using the story idea of robots having 'human-like' a.i. is a well traveled road. Because of that, it's harder to connect to it. There is some good characterization in there with SevenEight, but I feel that there needs to be a bit more personality that makes this story unique despite the common story. And also with Jorge being the usual human character that sees through the tough exterior of the robot, it doesn't help much.

I kind of got lost a little bit dealing with I, and I think it had to do with the way it was phrased in the dialogue, which didn't make it clear until later. I also felt like characters and things were popping in randomly. The flashback scene was a bit hard for me to follow because of this.

The opening and closing scenes, though, are the strong point. We know who 78 and Jorge are, and I actually wanted to see more about them instead of the memory that took the bulk of the story. I would recommend simplifying the flashback scene, and make it more clear what is happening.

Vigilantism Contract Work by Tangent-

This lighthearted story was enjoyable to read after reading all the other more serious entries. And it is written pretty well to boot. There were a few minor spelling/grammar errors but nothing too crazy.
I enjoyed Itsy's story. And I found the end scene to be the perfect way to end such a story. I enjoyed the whimsical pairing of real world things like texting and viruses with cute fairy-tale characters. The darker turn the story took was unexpected as well, especially when the story leaves open the possibility that (in my mind) Itsy would let the mosquitoes fester so that she can return to glory within this little bug society.
I don't have much of a critique for it, other than perhaps a few moments in the story, some events and situations were told in exposition, instead of showing the events in a more detailed manner. However, this type of writing is common in fairy-tales and so I can't really call it much of a criticism.
Perhaps if there was another character in the story with which to reflect this change instead of general events taking place, it might have even more impact.

--------

Votes

It was hard to choose, as there are a good number of stories here that have a similar quality.

1st- Smoke - Crunched

The details and characterization are what make the story excel, even despite the plot being something that has been iterated upon countless times. The scenes were described in a way that still presents a very strong image.

2nd- Form & Substance - Ashes

This story had the potential to be best, in my opinion. The story events and characters were intriguing. However, there was a lack of detail for some scenes that kept it from getting there.

3rd- Mole Men Season Six - felon

This last spot was a hard choice. But others were edged out by Mole Men because of the quirky nature of the characters and the plot. It puts a different spin on the cliched idea of artificial intelligence. I got the sense that Harvey didn't like Clover because she was too much like a human-- which defeated the purpose of having something around that was supposed to build his self esteem. He was awkward socially, which was kind of ironic, since he was interested in advanced technology. The story does feel chopped, but it is written well nevertheless, and comes off pretty natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom