• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF gamer crafts:"Game sprite perlers edition"

dyergram

Brashnir said:
Trying to use up these extra beads, so I made the obligatory Mega Man (Are there any other NES sprites that hold up so well? I can't think of any) plus an attempt at Metal Slug. As I was doing the Metal Slug one, it became clear that I didn't have enough gradient levels for several parts of the sprite, but I palette swapped and downgraded it the best I could.

I like to think of it as a sprite from some long-lost Genesis version.

9iqm2q.jpg

The metal slug sprite is awesome bro good job.

They go on the pegs and once you have a bunch of them together they'll hold together quite well until you iron them. It helps to have a set of Inverse Tweezers so you can swap out misplaced beads more easily when they're all packed together.

Have a look at the OP for some more tips and tricks. Enjoy :)

Brashnir

EdwardTivrusky said:
They go on the pegs and once you have a bunch of them together they'll hold together quite well until you iron them. It helps to have a set of Inverse Tweezers so you can swap out misplaced beads more easily when they're all packed together.

Have a look at the OP for some more tips and tricks. Enjoy :)

tweezers also make it easy to pick and place two pegs at a time, which greatly speeds things up.

fernoca

Arghh! I keep forgetting to get and make a few!!
Can any of you become my boyfriend or something and gift me a few? I'm a guy..and there's no need for sex or kisses..or anything..just give them to me as gifts?? :lol

tehjaybo

I sat down after a shift at work today and started a new project, which I just finished. I'd say I started around maybe 11PM, and it's 2AM now, and this is what I made...

"I am the terror that FLAPS in the night..."

8xjus5.jpg

fernoca said:
Arghh! I keep forgetting to get and make a few!!
Can any of you become my boyfriend or something and gift me a few? I'm a guy..and there's no need for sex or kisses..or anything..just give them to me as gifts?? :lol

Nix that "no sex" talk and maybe we'll have a deal. ;*

But seriously, I'm considering commissioning stuff like this. If you're desperate, you could always turn to me. I'm posting all my work on my facebook, and it's getting rave reviews so far.

oracrest

I had a bunch of extra blues from the Cagnazzo piece, so I did a Megaman 2 sprite.

4d9d378d.jpg

edit: just realized that I messed up one pixel on his shorts. :(

I made a larger Perler Bead creation. It came out ok. I ran out of one of the colors in Sonic's blue hair so you can notice a weird color difference between the top and bottom of the design. I can't find as many colors as I'd like between the two local stores that carry perler beads in my neck of Japan. I just have to improvise and use what I got for now...

I almost threw it away in frustration because I couldn't get it to melt uniformly due to it's large size spanning two plates. Now I know how to make large ones so this should be my last crummy one.

DSC00001-1.jpg

shaowebb

Wow things are really heating up and holy crap somebody else has now made a Bioshock Kirby besides me o_O

Seriously guys this is looking great all around. That Harley Quinn and Darkwing Duck made my night and it is getting really hard to predict a contest winner.
Stand proud guys. Your stuff is awesome.

ShinNL

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I made a larger Perler Bead creation. It came out ok. I ran out of one of the colors in Sonic's blue hair so you can notice a weird color difference between the top and bottom of the design. I can't find as many colors as I'd like between the two local stores that carry perler beads in my neck of Japan. I just have to improvise and use what I got for now...

I almost threw it away in frustration because I couldn't get it to melt uniformly due to it's large size spanning two plates. Now I know how to make large ones so this should be my last crummy one.

[/IMG]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee270/upsidedownfuji/DSC00001-1.jpg[/IMG]
I understand it's harder across 2 plates but I don't understand how some of your beads have shifted. You do put the beads with the hole in the middle on the pins right? And not in between like someone asked earlier.

Soneet said:
I understand it's harder across 2 plates but I don't understand how some of your beads have shifted. You do put the beads with the hole in the middle on the pins right? And not in between like someone asked earlier.

Somebody finally noticed. Yes, I do put them on the pins as they should be; but when I finished it was 1:45 in the morning and I obviously should have saved the ironing for the next day. I did two things wrong, first, I didn't put even pressure down on the pieces as I ironed. Second no-no I made was that I shifted the wax paper a bit which pulled up some improperly melted beads from the rest of the pattern.

The biggest mistake I made was accidentally bumping the board which shifted some beads. I tried to fix it but the damage was pretty much irreversible at that point. I improvised by yanking out the crooked beads that melted strangely and replacing them with non melted ones. My second iron pass to correct the non melted ones ended up melting with odd gaps between some of them them as you noticed. So yeah, I'll make sure to be more careful next time. XD

My next attempt won't be so messed up. At least it looks decent from afar. :D

ShinNL

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Somebody finally noticed. Yes, I do put them on the pins as they should be; but when I finished it was 1:45 in the morning and I obviously should have saved the ironing for the next day. I did two things wrong, first, I didn't put even pressure down on the pieces as I ironed. Second no-no I made was that I shifted the wax paper a bit which pulled up some improperly melted beads from the rest of the pattern.

The biggest mistake I made was accidentally bumping the board which shifted some beads. I tried to fix it but the damage was pretty much irreversible at that point. I improvised by yanking out the crooked beads that melted strangely and replacing them with non melted ones. My second iron pass to correct the non melted ones ended up melting with odd gaps between some of them them as you noticed. So yeah, I'll make sure to be more careful next time. XD

My next attempt won't be so messed up. At least it looks decent from afar. :D
Ah I see, I kinda had the same problem with my first one but I managed to save it completely. Having some beads stuck to the paper and some not and accidentally pulling the paper up while ironing is a nightmare.

For anyone else attempting and wants to prevent this, please read these tips I wrote (can't believe it's Page 4 already, this thread is going much faster now)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20263557&postcount=200

Success!

My first 2 board sprite is dedicated after one of my all time favorite classic DOS PC games. Sam n' Max Hit the Road.

I think Max came out really well. This time I made sure to be more careful like I should have with Sonic, and everything went smoothly.

DSC00002-5.jpg

I'll make a Sam when I get more blue beads. Sonic drained me pretty good.

oracrest

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Success!

My first 2 board sprite is dedicated after one of my all time favorite classic DOS PC games. Sam n' Max Hit the Road.

I think Max came out really well. This time I made sure to be more careful like I should have with Sonic, and everything went smoothly.

DSC00002-5.jpg

I'll make a Sam when I get more blue beads. Sonic drained me pretty good.

good sprite! Now that he has melted together, if you don't like the holes, you can put down more wax paper, and melt the piece further, filling in the holes. That's what I try to do on mine. I prefer them that way. Don't put it back on the pegboard though, a standard cutting board works fine. Otherwise you run the risk of melting the plastic peg board.

ShinNL

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I may fully melt one side like you suggested. At the size he his, nearly 12 inches high, those donut holes really show up.
I suggest ironing somewhere in between your current state and Oracrest (kinda like Whimsical Phil's) in case you want to hang them on your wall. I over ironed one and ended with no holes to easily put a nail through, so I ended up almost hammering the nail into the bead. This makes it less easy to remove, so the nail is kinda stuck with the sprite. My other sprites however hang perfectly on the wall but can be lifted and removed anytime if I want to.

1st side ironing = medium melting.
2nd side ironing = light melting.

If you do that you end up with a very solid piece that doesn't break and if you want a beady look you can flip over and if you want a melty look you can use the original side.

Fun side note: If you melt too much you will make the whole thing thinner.

Negator

AWWW YEAH TIME FOR SOME FUN

Finally got my beads in after what felt like an eternity, and now I can finally start making stuff.

Made this with the raid downtime in Icecrown Citadel, now I need to find paper to iron it with. Anyone have any recommendations?

9sawl3.jpg

shaowebb

Paper is usually packaged with the pegboards but you can generally find it in the same section as beads with the rest of those supplies. Were they out at the time?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Soneet said:
I suggest ironing somewhere in between your current state and Oracrest (kinda like Whimsical Phil's) in case you want to hang them on your wall. I over ironed one and ended with no holes to easily put a nail through, so I ended up almost hammering the nail into the bead. This makes it less easy to remove, so the nail is kinda stuck with the sprite. My other sprites however hang perfectly on the wall but can be lifted and removed anytime if I want to.
I've been gluing magnets to the back of all my sprites, but it you're hanging them on your wall, would that poster tack putty work? Unless your sprite is extremely large, I would think that stuff would do a suitable job while allowing you to easily move it around without ending up with a bunch of nails in your wall.

oracrest

shaowebb said:
Paper is usually packaged with the pegboards but you can generally find it in the same section as beads with the rest of those supplies. Were they out at the time?

Just buy wax paper at a grocery store, its the same thing.

Made a Hammersuit. I forgot how many good suits were in 3.

e3143f4b.jpg

37f2ab2a.jpg

ShinNL

Whimsical Phil said:
I've been gluing magnets to the back of all my sprites, but it you're hanging them on your wall, would that poster tack putty work? Unless your sprite is extremely large, I would think that stuff would do a suitable job while allowing you to easily move it around without ending up with a bunch of nails in your wall.
Well, in my case, the wall has some rigged texture, so if I use that I need to really pat it down. I've been using those kind of things for my posters but need 6 of em to hang 1 and they sometimes loosen. So for me, nails were much better. I got 100 for 50 cent and they're so tiny that you really don't see it unless I tell people. The nails can easily be taken out as well since it's not hammered in fully. It all depends on preference :)

Brashnir

Done with the cabinet - Got the side and both end stations decorated. The other side will be going against the wall once I get everything re-situated. I've been attaching them using double-sided foam tape, just to add another method to the discussion.

Dig Dug on the P1 side: (the hose/tether was WAY harder than I expected it to be)
ipmv5l.jpg

Pac-Man on the P2 side:

2vcxob9.jpg

Negator said:
AWWW YEAH TIME FOR SOME FUN

Finally got my beads in after what felt like an eternity, and now I can finally start making stuff.

Made this with the raid downtime in Icecrown Citadel, now I need to find paper to iron it with. Anyone have any recommendations?

9sawl3.jpg
looks like ebay bluendash

shaowebb

Since tomorrow is April Fools Day and the winner for the Month of March may get treated as an April Fools day prank I will announce the winner for the March 2010 Perler theme tonight.

Drumroll please....

The Winner for March 2010 theme of Super Mario Bros 3 is...

oracrest!!!!

I enjoyed the memories stirred up by the particular mario suits you made sprites of this month. The sledgehammer suit was god tier and the Tanooki suit in flight brings back a lot of fun memories. You even did a frog suit so overall I chose you as the winner this month!

Feel free to announce your chosen theme for
April 2010 Perler sprite theme
Anytime oracrest.

Conglaturations! A winner is you!

tehjaybo

shaowebb said:
Since tomorrow is April Fools Day and the winner for the Month of March may get treated as an April Fools day prank I will announce the winner for the March 2010 Perler theme tonight.

Drumroll please....

oracrest!!!!

I enjoyed the memories stirred up by the particular mario suits you made sprites of this month. The sledgehammer suit was god tier and the Tanooki suit in flight brings back a lot of fun memories. You even did a frog suit so overall I chose you as the winner this month!

Anytime oracrest.

Congrats oracrest! I look forward to making what you choose the theme is!

shaowebb said:
Wow things are really heating up and holy crap somebody else has now made a Bioshock Kirby besides me o_O

Seriously guys this is looking great all around. That Harley Quinn and Darkwing Duck made my night and it is getting really hard to predict a contest winner.
Stand proud guys. Your stuff is awesome.

Glad you liked them! And to be honest, the Bioshock Kirby I got from your picture. A+ work, man!

tehjaybo

Oh man, I almost forgot to post my new stuff!

167seb4.jpg

Charmander!

2w6i6tg.jpg

The 8 original gym badges from Pokemon, and a Master Ball.

oracrest

shaowebb said:

Drumroll please....

oracrest!!!!

Anytime oracrest.

Awesome! yay! :D :D

The contest was a lot of fun! A lot of other good entires too, Kuribo's Shoe and Stone Tanooki were great. The elaborate scene of little mario having just hit the block and gotten to the mushroom coming out (as the ? block next to it is in mid animation) was really clever too! Great job everyone.

For this month's theme, I pick "CASTLEVANIA" - any sprite from any title.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet! Congratulations oracrest!

I was hoping to get this finished by the end of the month but no dice.

100_0613.jpg

Line up the pictures and get a prize! You only get one try.

Congrats Oracrest !
And you did a great choice for April contest

Last Saturday my sister had a baby, so i thought it will be nice to put some bead sprites on the wall in his room (so when he grows up he will like vg eheheheh), i decide to make a flower from Yoshi's Island to celebrate this happy moment

i decided to melt all the beads cause i noticed it looks like more as a sprite after looking some creations people made

cantona222

I checked this thread a long time a go and I liked the idea.
Here are my first 3 attempts:

15xff9.jpg

33cayh2.jpg

fa5uzb.jpg

Does anybody know the game or character of the 3rd picture? It is from a game that I loved on the NES.

Moog

Neo Member
Man, it must feel awesome to create one of these. You start out with a bunch of colored beads and you end up with a video game character. What an excellent way to express your taste in games.

Props to everyone in this thread.

cantona222

A question to the ones with experience in beads:
Can I attach two finished parts together?
I wanna complete the body of this guy:
fa5uzb.jpg

Is it possible? Will ironing two (already done pieces) together work?

ShinNL

If you can still put it partially on a pegboard then it should be easy. Just put about 3-4 layers onto the board and put the other beads and melt them together in the end.

My first project actually expanded on 9 boards even though I only had 4, so I kept ironing over the edge and shifted 2 boards at the time. So it would have been easier if you hadn't ironed the parts that you wanted to fuse.

If you can't put it on the peg board anymore, then I don't know. Maybe someone else has experience with actually fusing 2 different pieces.

Top Bottom