• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
that's just the top 10. 2008 also had valkyria chronicles, burnout paradise, and mirror's edge (which has a much bigger fanbase now than it did back then).

Oh wow, I completely take back what I said. Those would be literally my top 3 if I made a list today and I change my statement to say good on 2011 gaf to pick good games for once when 2008 gaf failed so hard to even put the 3 best games in the top 10.

And BTW i reserve the right to call myself and 2011 gaf's choices stupid 3 years from now.

Riposte

I don't know if MGS4 would have even gotten 5th this year, but the year it came it the competition wasn't exactly strong.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden II, and Valkyria Chronicles are all easily better than most of that list and I would say MGS4 (especially the first three). Hell, since fucking Fable II is on it you could make an argument for just about any game that came out that year lol. NeoGAF isn't a good indication whether a game had strong competition or not that year, many of the best games are going to be ignored.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Thank god Skyrim didn't win. Little disappointed Dark Soul's didn't break the top three (especially being that close), but then GAF is a haven of Master Race Only gamers these days and if it had a PC release, coulda been a whole different ballgame.

Thank god Skyrim didn't win. Little disappointed Dark Soul's didn't break the top three (especially being that close), but then GAF is a haven of Master Race Only gamers these days and if it had a PC release, coulda been a whole different ballgame.

There really aren't that many PC gamers here. About 250 active tops

Durante

I think I found an error. Why is Corpse Party not on the horror list?

Are you joking? There are tons more Console-only than PC-only gamers on GAF.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Do you really think the type of game Dark Souls is would be accessible enough for GAF to choose it number 1 if it were on the PC? I skipped playing it this year because the reports of extremely punishing gameplay scared me out of it when there are other safer games to play, not because it wasn't on PC.

Dabanton

Interesting list.

I wonder how much the PS3 debacle had on Skyrim coming second?

Batman was my no 1 game overall

I thought Deus Ex was ok but the absolutely appalling voice acting made it a slog to actually enjoy.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well I'm saying in a contest between all titles, the all 3 HD platform showrunners have an advantage in beating out just console-based 2 platform titles. Steam sales and more are a hive of activity here, and the #1 and #3 spots at least enjoyed gargantuan price drops to get more gamers in on their quality before the end of last year.

Its how I'll sleep at night. Glad to see Rayman on the list too, and LA Noire nowhere in sight. Don't think GAF could've slept with that one!

Schlomo

I just wanted to say thank you for organizing this and counting all the votes! Must have been quite a task. Also, the High Quality Award ("The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance") is a really good idea to honour those games that didn't get as much exposure due to not being multiplatform or not coming out in all regions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

LbekZ.png

Dark Souls made the top of one of the lists. I am appeased. :)

Rayman lovers: sorry I hadn't played Origins earlier. I've only just started today. It's fantastic. Would've made my list based on the first few levels alone, if it were cheaper or my backlog were smaller.

VALIS

First year ever that multiplats took the top 4 spots. Is GAF finially growing out of it's console/platform warrior phase?

Eh, probably not. But this was nice to see anyway.

While I only played half of the top 10 games (with plans to play only one more of the remaining five), it's a good list. I still don't quite understand some of the extreme praise given to both Portal games (I did enjoy them, but haven't thought much about them after I went through each once), but you can't argue the craftsmanship. Objectively it's a worthy game, even if subjectively it doesn't move me like it seems to for so many others.

My top game was Skyrim, and I voted it no. 1 even though I practically just started it at the time. With most of January gone, my vote still stands. I have done nothing but played Skyrim since I bought it on Jan 2nd. All other games have taken a backseat. I've had a ton of fun doing side quests, and am really engaged with the dragon storyline. Mods are amazing (and will only get better), and while my performance would be better if I weren't running so many of them, I love the look I got going. Over 140 hours so far (still have plenty left to do), and not a single major bug. While I can understand all criticism (especially the PS3 issues) they absolutely haven't phase me in the slightest.

It's so funny to see the huge backlash here, when every single person I know absolutely loves Skyrim.

Eusis

I think it has more to do with some finding it offensive for one reason or another.
I think a lot of people just find it to be a tired meme. I've seen it brought up just about EVERY TIME PC games or the PC version is discussed.

First year ever that multiplats took the top 4 spots. Is GAF finially growing out of it's console/platform warrior phase?

Eh, probably not. But this was nice to see anyway.

It's more of less exclusives and the ones consoles have are sequels. So that initial love by now is tempered or already reached its height.

VALIS

Because exclusives can't be good?

Of course they can. But they are always very heavily hyped/excused/praised around here by the warriors and single platform owners. I think they always get a little too much lip service. Look at some of those past lists.

Diamond

Now that's a top 10 guys ! Portal 2 is a fine GOTY, it's nice to see a narrative-driven non-violent multiplatform puzzle game win here.
Thanks for the hard work, timetokill and cheese. Now I eagerly wait for the complete results and the affinity tool. So... Time to work again ! Sleeping isn't an excuse ! ;)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
A shame that Minecraft wasn't higher. Also a shame that both Tiny Tower and Motorstorm Apocalypse failed to earn votes. Sure, Tiny Tower topped the simulation category, with 13 points so that's not a whole lot. But over-all a good show.

Codeblue

A shame that Minecraft wasn't higher. Also a shame that both Tiny Tower and Motorstorm Apocalypse failed to earn votes. Sure, Tiny Tower topped the simulation category, with 13 points so that's not a whole lot. But over-all a good show.
A lot of people voted for Minecraft last year, myself included.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can't really complain that Face Raiders isn't there when I didn't actually get round to voting (I forgot)... or can I?

While I love the effort put into this list, I think 2011 was overall a pretty shitty year for gaming. The Gaf GOTY List could as well be the GAF Disappointment of the Year list. It is filled with high caliber sucessor that are not even close to being as good as their predecessors.

This is mainly the reason why I didn't vote.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think a lot of people just find it to be a tired meme. I've seen it brought up just about EVERY TIME PC games or the PC version is discussed.

That may also be the case, but I'd say I've seen most posts complaining about the connotations of the term rather than the frequency of the moniker.

I'm sad Dark Souls didn't make the top 3, but 4 is acceptable.

The top 3 are very solid. There's no MGS4 this year, so good job, GAF.

Surprised to see one of my quotes in OP as well!

d00d3n

I am glad Deus Ex: Human Revolution did so well, but Portal 2 for GOTY annoys me. I feel slightly nauseous when I imagine "comedy game" enthusiasts rejoicing over this victory. Yes, Portal 2 had some funny lines of dialogue, but the core gameplay of sequence breaking with portals was gimped to make the game accessible to a wider audience. You never got the strong sensation of breaking the rules and finding original solutions to problems that you got in Portal 1. The design of the puzzle rooms in Portal 2 is very good, but there are many games with static puzzles that fulfil this criteria, including many indie games in recent years. Puzzle games with organic solutions like Portal 1 and World of Goo are the way forward for the genre as I see it. The lack of originality should make Portal 2 ineligible for GOTY in a year when Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dark Souls were released.

Xater

I am OK with Portal 2 winning and at least Skyrim didn't take the spot. Skyrim is way too overrated. Also glad to see that GAF still knows quality gaming and Deus Ex: Human Revolution made it into the top 3. Sucks that Saints Row: The Third didn't make the top 10. I think it's more a problem of not enough people playing it though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm glad that Uncharted 2 didn't win GotY. What a disappointing game compared to 2. Still good, but a massive step down.

Dark Souls being #4 is nice, as well.

mxgt

Banned
High Quality award for Dark Souls, hells yeah.

So glad to see it and Deus Ex placing so high, and I'm glad Skyrim didn't get GOTY.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I consider it a loss for the genre at large that the number one from it can't even crack the general top 20.

And if it's any consolation, it's not like I play the game, thanks to the online. You still get more enjoyment out of your game!
Probably, but I never expected as such. It's pretty much impossible for any FG to get top 20 if it's not called MK and SF, and if MK couldn't do it with this effort, I'm not sure if the next SF could either unless the year is really shitty.

Same goes for racing games too, the niche status of the genre is far too real and saddening for me.

Atruvius

Haven't played Portal but what I have heard of it makes it sound like a great game. So I'm fine with it being the GotY.

Top Bottom