• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

Tunavi

Banned
I'm pretty sure Portal was GOTY because it was ~$10 by November on steam. More people played it, more people loved it.

Beth Cyra

You hate the Metal Gear games? Well your opinion on the matter just became irrevelant.

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time. I don't see how Revengance can hurt MGS any more then the garbage that was 4. At least this will have sweet combat.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Now I'm curious if I'm the only person who had Gray Matter on their list.

I'm thinking yes, but you never know.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm pretty sure Portal was GOTY because it was ~$10 by November on steam. More people played it, more people loved it.

I doubt that, even with the sale. For instance, Skyrim sold over 3.4 million in two days, whereas Portal 2 hit the 3 million mark after two months. Not to mention the former has remained at the top or near the top of the Steam Top Sellers list since release (it's still #1 right now despite being at full price).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad GAF wasn't dragged along by the Bastion craze every other list seems to be afflicted by.

Bastion ranked in the top 20 and won the digital distro prize while scoring well in many other categories. It also came in top 5 over on the soundtracks list.

Seemed to do pretty well for itself.

Leonsito

Nice list, Portal 2 is amazing.

I disagree with Skyrim, I think it's an overrated mediocre game, and should be replaced by Batman at #2, but well, gaf has spoken.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Mortal Kombat getting fighting game of the year is complete and utter horse shit.

Really, whats going on with the hate for Mortal Kombat? I wasn't expecting that. Mortal Kombat is easily the best fighting game I ever played.

I assume it has something to do with the E-sport/competitive multiplayer crowd but most people don't want to spend that much energy to break into that.

Man, there are so many games from 2011 I still need to play. Just playing the games in my current backlog would take months, and that's barely the tip of the iceberg. Not a bad overall list, all things considered. Many thanks to timetokill and Cheesemeister for their work on this and the voting thread.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's Capcom's own fault that MvC3 didn't win Fighting GotY, the votes are split and there definitely was a backlash on the game because of UMvC3 coming out in the same year.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really, whats going on with the hate for Mortal Kombat? I wasn't expecting that. Mortal Kombat is easily the best fighting game I ever played.

I assume it has something to do with the E-sport/competitive multiplayer crowd but most people don't want to spend that much energy to break into that.

Yeah, it must. It doesn't matter in this context either way, it's being called fighter of the year based on the amount of votes and the fact it's a fighter. It could be someone's goty just off the story mode, while the same person into that kind of experience won't find a damn thing in beta marvel or ultimate marvel.

It's Capcom's own fault that MvC3 didn't win Fighting GotY, the votes are split and there definitely was a backlash on the game because of UMvC3 coming out in the same year.

I'm happy to see adding the two together still doesn't top MK. Doesn't deserve the cred for the crap that was pulled with it.

Thores

Wow, this thread is fantastically put together. Definitely gonna keep coming back as more data gets uploaded.

The actual results are solid enough. There's stuff I disagree with but also a lot of pleasant surprises. It was cool to see 999 score as high in the 2010 results as it did.

Edit: Actually, the complete lack of Tactics Ogre: LUCT is a bit odd. It did qualify for the awards this year, right?

VerTiGo

Banned
Yeah, it must. It doesn't matter in this context either way, it's being called fighter of the year based on the amount of votes and the fact it's a fighter. It could be someone's goty just off the story mode, while the same person into that kind of experience won't find a damn thing in beta marvel or ultimate marvel.

I'm happy to see adding the two together still doesn't top MK. Doesn't deserve the cred for the crap that was pulled with it.

More like the neogaf posters who are fighting fans spend too much time on their respective community boards and watching streams to even notice a goty voting. I know I missed it.

It's really not even a realistic representation of GAF itself.

Mortal Kombat getting fighting game of the year is complete and utter horse shit.

YEAH!!! It's horse shit people voted for their favorite games!

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to play a whole lot of 2011 games, so I didn't vote, but I'm surprised to see some of the ones I did play make it so high on the list.

stupei

Great top 20, GAF. Glad to see Ghost Trick made it in there; I was worried it was going to be forgotten, coming out so early in the year.

Yeah man, I agree. I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and it looked like something I'd hate, but for it to get THIS much GAF love? I need to give the game some more thought.

I'd recommend not attempting the stealth based achievements though unless you really love stealth. Great way to make an enjoyable game into an exercise in frustration.

Duffyside

Banned
Looks like i'll need to buy Deus EX: Human revolution.

Kinda went under the radar for me when it came out.

Yeah man, I agree. I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and it looked like something I'd hate, but for it to get THIS much GAF love? I need to give the game some more thought.

SamuraiX-

Many kudos to timetokill and Cheesemeister for all their hard work and efficiency to grind out the results in a timely fashion.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution making Top 3 and Dead Space 2 making Top 10. I'm ok with this!

No Assassin's Creed: Revelations anywhere in sight is a travesty though. :(

Duffyside

Banned
I'd recommend not attempting the stealth based achievements though unless you really love stealth. Great way to make an enjoyable game into an exercise in frustration.

I shan't. I only play to get achievements if I've decided I really like a game and want to complete most of if not all of it, or if I really hate a game and just want to get something out of it before I stop.

Duffyside

Banned
Very ignorant.

Why is that ignorant? I mean, I loved Portal 2, but I can understand where he's coming from. And the Bug game I mean... come on, dude. There's nothing ignorant about being upset with buggy games, and that game is BUGGED.

No Assassin's Creed: Revelations anywhere in sight is a travesty though. :(

Tee hee, I didn't even notice that, but good. No Modern Warfare either? AWESOME. Hopefully this is a case of the hardcore being trend-setters.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The shooting and AI is actually horrible, so I can see why it might appear to be bad in a setting like that. But it has a great atmosphere, great character progression, a large number of viable ways to carry out a mission, and some very good dialog choices. Those are all things that GAF seems to love far more than moment to moment action mechanics and overall story, but moment to moment action mechanics and some story missions is all you can really portray in a quick look. It really is worth a try.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Why is that ignorant? I mean, I loved Portal 2, but I can understand where he's coming from. And the Bug game I mean... come on, dude. There's nothing ignorant about being upset with buggy games, and that game is BUGGED.

it's ignorant because there was no tech to demo

GlamFM

Banned

Tee hee, I didn't even notice that, but good. No Modern Warfare either? AWESOME. Hopefully this is a case of the hardcore being trend-setters.

I wont get inta an argument, but calling Portal 2 Tech Demo .5 is very ignorant in my opinion.

Given it´s GAFs GOTY many people here would agree.

Duffyside

Banned
The shooting and AI is actually horrible, so I can see why it might appear to be bad in a setting like that. But it has a great atmosphere, great character progression, a large number of viable ways to carry out a mission, and some very good dialog choices. Those are all things that GAF seems to love far more than moment to moment action mechanics and overall story, but moment to moment action mechanics and some story missions is all you can really portray in a quick look. It really is worth a try.

Lemme ask you this: does the game ever look not gold and black? Cuz that will get old real quick (it took approximately 15 minutes last time).

You can argue which is the better fighting game competitively (MvC3 would win this battle), but hands down MK is a *WAY* better package as a game. There is no contest.

I agree this is capcom's fault.

For those hating on MGS4, any game that can get that sort of passionate reaction four years later deserves to be a GOTY.

I don't think anybody will even mention portal 2 a few months from now. Good game, great voice acting, solid 9 all around. Not to say it didn't deserve to win, but man is it a boring choice.

Durante

Deus Ex did much better than I expected, deservedly so IMHO. In general it was a great year for RPGs, so it's fitting to have 4 of them placing in the top 8. I'm looking forward to getting the data and doing some computation on that.

Tain

One thing: why isn't Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets on the Shooters list? It got, as far as I can tell, 13 points and 1 honorable mention. Which, thankfully, puts it over the iOS Cave games.

Also, Strania got 19 points, I think. Should be on that list as well.

Top Bottom