• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

Duffyside

Banned
The real take-away from this list is that 2010 has been redeemed: VANQUISH indeed was the best game of that year. Well-done, GAF!

It is very strange to see gow3 in a "shooter" category considering the other games in that category. Yeah it isn't an fps, but it really sticks out when the other 4 in the top 5 are cave shooters, star fox and the like.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I understand that a lot of work goes in to counting the votes, but I'm going to contest the absence of Rift in your "MMO Game of the Year" category.

This one guy right here listed it as his top game of the year. That would give the game at least a few points, right? His post seems to meet the voting criteria.

Well at least this year won't receive any real backlash. Can't see people saying anything bad about P2, other then saying "oh it's not a 10 only a 9" that said, I've never played it on account of not liking puzzle games or beating the 1st one even though I have it on Steam and the Orange Box.

As for the top 4? Well I have no interest in Dark Souls and I think Deus Ex is a bit too high. Again Xenoblade deserves to be higher, but this is by votes and the game just isn't in enough people's hands. This gens greatest crime. Even so, Deus Ex is a good game as is Skyrim. Nice to see Batman in there as well, but I never doubted it.

A shame that Alice and Shadows are nowhere as well. Dead Space 2 being on here is quite disgusting as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Having finished Torchlight about half an hour ago (the "story" floors, anyway), I think it's about high time I played Bulletstorm.

Well at least this year won't receive any real backlash. Can't see people saying anything bad about P2, other then saying "oh it's not a 10 only a 9" that said, I've be er played it on account of not likeing puzzle games or beating the 1st one evn though I have it on Steam and the Orange Box.

As for the top 4? Well I have no interest in Dark Souls and I think Deus Ex is a bit too high. Again Xenoblade deserves to be higher, but this is by votes and the game just isn't in enough people's hands. This gens greatest crime.

A shame that Alice and Shadows are nowhere as well.

First thing I did upon entering the thread was CTRL-F for Alice. :(

If you can remove yourself from the several year long internet circle jerk over Portal you can better appreciate how awesome Portal 2 was. The second Steven Merchant started talking to me, Portal 2 was well on its way to equaling if not rivaling Portal. I love both games, but the stubborn worship and consequential shitting on Portal 2 is strange to me. Portal 2 had an insurmountable mountain to climb (see: years of internet circle jerk) and it delivered. The voice acting alone deserves a top 3 placing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well at least this year won't receive any real backlash. Can't see people saying anything bad about P2, other then saying "oh it's not a 10 only a 9" that said, I've be er played it on account of not likeing puzzle games or beating the 1st one evn though I have it on Steam and the Orange Box.

As for the top 4? Well I have no interest in Dark Souls and I think Deus Ex is a bit too high. Again Xenoblade deserves to be higher, but this is by votes and the game just isn't in enough people's hands. This gens greatest crime.

A shame that Alice and Shadows are nowhere as well.

Yeah...not surprising though. :\

I'm really glad with the top 3, especially Deus Ex edging out Dark Souls. It's good that DS is getting recognition where it's due, but I don't think it should be nearly that high on the list.

Arjen

Portal 2 huh..i had fun with it, but i thought it was pretty disapointing compared to the first. Oh well.

AniHawk

revengeance being a dumb action thing is the one way i can see it being a goty style game, at least for me. like bayonetta.

Salacious Crumb

Revengance should be forfeit of all award considerations for having a name so terrible it threatens to set the public perception of gaming back 25 years.

If Revengance wins GOTY anywhere on the internet I will stop being a gamer. Such a bastardization of the awesome Metal Gear franchise.

The series already fucked itself up with MGS4 and then became a monster hunter cash in with PW. Who cares what happens to it now...

But this thread is not for this. Yay Portal 2!!

It won't. The trailer looks terrible.
Terribly awesome. Really excited for Rising.

hlhbk

The series already fucked itself up with MGS4 and then became a monster hunter cash in with PW. Who cares what happens to it now...

But this thread is not for this. Yay Portal 2!!

MGS 4 and PW were amazing metal gear games and the story rocked. Revengance is not a Metal Gear game!

Are 21-25 going to be added to the OP? (I just ask because last year's OP had 1-25.)

No, due to character limits per post (we had a problem with this last year, too).

21-25 this year: L.A. Noire, Bulletstorm, LittleBigPlanet 2, Pokemon Black/White, Mortal Kombat.

Sorry for the short responses, I'm still working on fixing up some stuff -- note the "coming soon" data :) There will be more to enjoy tomorrow, so keep checking back.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Definitely have no qualms with the top 20, Portal 2 has earned it. I'm surprised to see Dead Space 2 in the top 20 though, I didn't notice people voting for it. I barely touched it my-self so I should get around to playing more of it. Also surprised to see Frozen Synapse over Total War: Shogun 2, I thought Shogun would take Strategy GotY for sure.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No, due to character limits per post (we had a problem with this last year, too).

21-25 this year: L.A. Noire, Bulletstorm, LittleBigPlanet 2, Pokemon Black/White, Mortal Kombat.

Sorry for the short responses, I'm still working on fixing up some stuff -- note the "coming soon" data :) There will be more to enjoy tomorrow, so keep checking back.

tumblr_le9fyshXj81qesc3io1_500.png

You were doing so well, gaf!

MGS 4 and PW were amazing metal gear games and the story rocked. Revengance is not a Metal Gear game!

13108300664-1.gif

I'll say that Rising does not look like a MG game. And that's why it looks good. Probably will have a terrible story though, so in that way it's following the lead set by MGS4.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm glad GAF wasn't dragged along by the Bastion craze every other list seems to be afflicted by.

Reading those blurbs makes me regret not writing anything at all on my top ten list.

Anyway, great list. Only game I don't like on there is Uncharted 3, but I can live with it. I'm very surprised that Deus Ex placed so high. I really enjoyed the six or so hours I played, so I'm glad to see that many people also responded favorably to it.

Soma

So close to top 3 Dark Souls.

i'd be sad but the fact that it's so close to Deus Ex: HR makes it okay. both games were nearly neck and neck for my GOTY (Dark Souls was my #1) and to see them both on the top 5 makes me very happy.

Turbo

Neo Member
Best year of gaming indeed! Love the fact that Xenoblade is in the list ( Portal 2 being in # 1 is also surprising, and satisfying.).

IrishNinja

pretty fair list overall GAF, well done! glad to see Dark Souls so high up, and even Yakuza 4 got some love (wish it was more, but honestly, 2011 was an amazing year).

Top Bottom