• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

Radec

Only thing that matters to me.

GAME OF THE YEAR
TQWp2.png

01. Portal 2 = 2055 points, 13 honorable mentions

We're done here.

Well deserved.

A very good list this year. Out of that top 10, the right game won. Considering it didn't come out in NA, Xenoblade put in a very good performance too.

Thanks to you guys for putting this rundown together.

Hyunkel6

2011 was my favorite gaming year. Truly amazing.

Wow at Portal 2. I know close to nothing about it. I'll have to check it out now.

Also, no visual novel GOTY? I was expecting 999 to win that.

braves01

Banned
Great thread. I'm very satisfied with the list. The pre-deadline extension breakdown will be interesting.

And Portal 2 is the Mitt Romney of GOTY candidates.

olimpia84

I'm glad Super Mario 3D Land made it that high. I was thinking it would be ranked lower but that game definitely deserves to be up there, too bad it didn't rank even higher.

Was hoping for Zelda SS to be in the top 3, oh well.

And I'm ashamed I haven't even spent a single minute playing praised games like Portal 2, Skyrim, Dark Souls or Batman. My backlog is huge but hopefully I'll be able to give these games a shot this year.

awesome work, guys. glad to see portal 2 on top, and really surprised that skyward sword beat out uncharted 3 (and that uncharted 3 wasn't in the top 5).

Honestly, it was hard to find comments about the game that didn't use the word "disappointed" or some variant

Also, no visual novel GOTY? I was expecting 999 to win that.

999 was a 2010 game, so the only place you'll see it is the LTTP vote, where it came in third.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance
01. Dark Souls (3.01)
02. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2.97)
03. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2.90)
04. Xenoblade Chronicles (2.86)
05. Portal 2 (2.70)
06. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2.63)
07. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (2.59)
08. Minecraft (2.55)
09. Atelier Torori: The Adventurer of Arland (2.5)
10. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2.48)
11. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (2.38)
12. Batman: Arkham City (2.37)
13. Anno 2070 (2.36)
14. Saints Row The Third (2.30)
15. Spacechem (2.29)
16. Super Mario 3D Land (2.27)
17. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2.27)
18. Yakuza 4 (2.25)
19. Rayman Origins (2.24)
20. Star Wars: The Old Republic (2.17)

YAY!

Also it's Totori, not Torori !

linko9

A damn fine list. I feel like Portal 2 is one of those games that almost everyone is bound to like; it just has a very universal appeal, so it feels right that it would win in a democratic selection process. Also, this list unfortunately reminds me of how non-representative GAF is of mainstream buying habits (poor Rayman).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Honestly, it was hard to find comments about the game that didn't use the word "disappointed" or some variant

999 was a 2010 game, so the only place you'll see it is the LTTP vote, where it came in third.

I noticed this a lot, even with people who had it as their goty calling it disappointing.

Portal 2 is definitely worthy. Glad to see Deus Ex getting that love in the top 3. Ghost Trick did as well as it could. : (

amir0x should be happy about Dark Souls beating out Uncharted 3, haha.

witcher 2 being pc only probably hurt it because not many people played it compare to multiplatform title. Thank god deus ex got its recognition, it's my goty for this year

Uncharted 3 did better than I thought it would, people seemed to be getting tired of that franchise, who would have thought that at the beginning of that year?

I still think the difference between the game-play of Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 is little. They're consistently good games.

Kusagari

Portal 2 winning wasn't really surprising.

It seems like almost everyone that played it thought it was a top 10 game. People might have liked Dark Souls, Skyward Sword, Deus Ex and Skyrim more, but opinion on those games was also far more split.

Portal 2 basically got the benefit of the other games being far more divided in opinion.

Really like this list. Out of the GAF GOTY lists of the past I feel the most "in tune" with this one. Really happy to see Bulletstorm as #2 in FPS category. In a genre that is devoid of innovation and levity, Bulletstorm was a wonderful surprise.

FreeMufasa

Only Dark Souls, Zelda and Catherine made it from my list.

I'm glad Portal 2 won though, even though I haven't played it yet.

It seems like almost everyone that played it thought it was a top 10 game. People might have liked Dark Souls, Skyward Sword, Deus Ex and Skyrim more, but opinion on those games was also far more split.

Portal 2 basically got the benefit of the other games being far more divided in opinion.

tbf I don't think I've played more than 5 games on there, but Portal 2 is one that I played and all the others are better.

Salacious Crumb

Good list, great to see The Witcher 2 make into the top 10.

And huge thanks to timetokill and Cheesemeister for putting this together, a sterling job as always.

MK as fighting game of the year? *shudders*

Slamtastic wins. *shudders*

I consider it a loss for the genre at large that the number one from it can't even crack the general top 20.

And if it's any consolation, it's not like I play the game, thanks to the online. You still get more enjoyment out of your game!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The one omission from the top twenty that bothers me is Bulletstorm. I thought that was a damn fine step forward for the linear shooter, and not many people seemed to care.

Also, wow at the lack of MW3. Did Black Ops place last year?

guest1321

Great post! Thanks for putting this all together!

I'm actually really pleased with the top 10. I didn't play a good portion of them but it seemed like the deserving ones definitely got there spot.

Top 5 RPG's were all within the Top 12. Crazy stuff!

sohois

GAF seems to veer between widely popular and agreeable choices to very love-it-or-hate-it controversial choices with its GOTY choice every year.

2011- Portal 2
09- Uncharted 2
07- Galaxy
05- Resident Evil 4

Generally a list of games without a vocal minority of haters, whereas the even numbered years have been

2010- Mass Effect 2
08- MGS4
06- Twilight Princess
04- MGS3

which are much more controversial (MGS3 perhaps the least but there were so few Gaffers back then anyways). Can't say i have any problem with Portal 2 this year, haven't actually played it this year but nothing i have played seemed so good that I would really argue for its inclusion.

GOW3 really GAF? and Portal 2 was a good game but I dont think it should be GOTY -_- what a boring list hope you do better next year GAF

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Portal 2 is the correct choice for Game of the Year, but I have to say Mortal Kombat got robbed for not being in anything but best fighting game and Ghost Trick got robbed by getting beaten by Mario 3D Land for best handheld.

Skyrim still has a lot of backlash to live through and probably wont be remembered as well as it is right now while Portal 2 probably wont ever go through that.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Glad my top game won!

Wasn't really expecting it since I rarely saw it as number one on anyone's list, it usually was somewhere between 3 and 5. Well deserved win though.

Well that technically still makes it the most popular game and that's all its really about. Just a fun popularity contest, as much as some people would want some kind of impossibly objective yet democratic vote to decide the GOTY.

Top Bottom