• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2012 Awards

AniHawk

Expect to see a lot of Last of Us and Metal Gear Rising. There'll probably be some unannounced Nintendo game which gets ton of critical acclaim later in the year too. Unannounced because all Nintendo games get announced 2 days before release. Lol.

i hope it's monolithsoft's new game, just for you.

Derrick01

Banned
So did I read that right, 3 people had all 360 exclusives on their lists? How is that possible? I assume it wasn't a full top 10.

Expect to see a lot of Last of Us and Metal Gear Rising. There'll probably be some unannounced Nintendo game which gets ton of critical acclaim later in the year too. Unannounced because all Nintendo games get announced 2 days before release. Lol.

Ohh yeah Last of Us will score high regardless of quality, we love us some ND here. GTA too I guess. I just hope both of them actually deserve their rankings.

Hey, this is a pretty nice list! Journey's at the top where it belongs, now I'll just scroll down...

Where is Dustforce!?!

It's not even in the platforming category!?

GAF, I don't think we can be friends any more :(

It ranked 12th in the platform genre. Download the detailed stats from post 4.

Time to complain about how you didn't vote for the games I voted for:

Super Hexagon [#48, 82pts]
Trials Evolution [#36, 111pts]
Mark of the Ninja [#16, 289pts]
Mutant Blobs Attack [#88, 27pts] <- you all suck
Thomas Was Alone [#139, 11pts] <- play this game
FTL [#14, 316pts]
Gravity Rush [#19, 248pts]
Hotline Miami [#10, 399pts]
Ys Origin [#74, 46pts] <- boo to all who didn't vote for this
Forza Horizon [#29, 133pts]

Motorstorm RC [#123, 15pts]
They Bleed Pixels [#194, 4pts] <- sickeningly low
Velocity [#116, 17pts]
Sound Shapes [#40, 95pts]

And my affinity list:
1. kadotsu (76)
2. VALIS (73)
3. Staal (71)
4. mxgt (66)
5. Magic Mushroom (63)
6. Red Mercury (61)
7. tamaster92 (60)
8. IamMattFox (58)
9. iain (57)
9. Scotch (57)

Meanwhile, I'm #2 on Booter's affinity list, #1 on Carl's list, #5 on IamMattFox's list, unsurprisingly #1 on kadotsu's list, #4 on Staal's list and finally #2 on Zissou's list. I have no idea how the affinity system works. :/

gg, wp

Shouts out to my affinity bros

1. darkside31337 (75)
2. firehawk12 (63)
2. laika09 (63)
4. Mike D (62)
5. Kesagiri (61)
6. CSX (59)
7. I speel my dreenk (58)
8. baekshi (57)
8. megalowho (57)
8. Ravage (57)

AniHawk

timetokill, sound shapes is a multiplatform game. it's ps3 and vita (i played it on ps3).

edit: oh i see what you did. if it fits one category, it fits all, like zero escape.

Ridley327

I'm a bit perplexed at Mark of the Ninja being considered a platformer, and this is coming from someone who got done getting all of the achievements in it a couple of days ago.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

I expect Pikmin 3 to be elevated to GOTY status by starved WiiU owners most likely, much in the same way Kid Icarus appears to have been. We can name it "The Xenoblade Effect".

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My enjoyment of Journey was mostly superficial, but I respect that it just resonated more with some people than it did with me. No hate here. I loved Flower so it's not an anti-non-game thing (who else is sick of that term?). Only one of my games made the top ten. There wasn't a lot of console stuff on my list so that's expected.

Anyways, I hate to be that guy, but I'm stuck
on mobile and if someone could post my data it would be appreciated.

I'm a bit perplexed at Mark of the Ninja being considered a platformer, and this is coming from someone who got done getting all of the achievements in it a couple of days ago.

iMlDYBPPtn3wT.gif

If you were ghosting, it was pretty much a platformer. It's got a bit of everything in it.

Zia

I expect Pikmin 3 to be elevated to GOTY status by starved WiiU owners most likely, much in the same way Kid Icarus appears to have been. We can name it "The Xenoblade Effect".

That's unfair. Xenoblade, unlike Kid Icarus, is actually a competent (if unimpressive) game.

So did I read that right, 3 people had all 360 exclusives on their lists? How is that possible? I assume it wasn't a full top 10.

Whoops, I'd left the exclusivity breakdowns commented out for during data collection.

NinjaBoiX
100% Microsoft
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504835&page=8#358
1. Forza Horizon - 4 points

AltogetherAndrews
100% Microsoft
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504835&page=12#587
1. Halo 4 - 4 points

Arjen
100% Microsoft
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504835&page=19#920
1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - 4 points
2011. Dark Souls

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Anyways, I hate to be that guy, but I'm stuck
on mobile and if someone could post my data it would be appreciated.

Snuggler
1. Nert (109)
2. Madouu (98)
2. Sullichin (98)
4. keit4 (97)
5. sixghost (93)
6. Lingitiz (90)
7. Felix Lighter (84)
8. benny_a (82)
8. OmegaDragon (82)
10. Ventrue (81)

sahest

Banned
Journey, huh? One of the most overrated games of this generation in my opinion. I thought Flower was a much better experience.

AOC83

Banned

Thank god there are not nearly enough WiiU owners (even on this forum) to defeat something like GTA V.

Derrick01

Banned
Whoops, I'd left the exclusivity breakdowns commented out for during data collection.

NinjaBoiX
100% Microsoft
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504835&page=8#358
1. Forza Horizon - 4 points

AltogetherAndrews
100% Microsoft
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504835&page=12#587
1. Halo 4 - 4 points

Arjen
100% Microsoft
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504835&page=19#920
1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - 4 points
2011. Dark Souls

Ah alright that makes more sense. All "lists" were 1 game long.

Maragidyne said:
Picking an amazing game to end the year is fitting for any year, regardless of its quality. So Journey, alongside a few other excellent games, would sit just fine where it does any other year, really.

That wasn't what I was going for but alright.

Corto

I am still a believer of Bioshock Infinite. Wishful thinking and all that. Company of Heroes 2 as the preemptive Corto's top slot of 2013 though. hehehe

1. BlazingDarkness (88)
2. LiquidSolid (87)
3. baekshi (82)
4. firehawk12 (67)
5. Famassu (65)
5. Kesagiri (65)
7. anddo0 (63)
7. Leeness (63)
9. darkside31337 (62)
9. Noi (62)

So these are my new friends ?

ok then ..

it's a shame i couldn't game as much as i would have hoped in 2012 than than 2011 even when i played more game than before.

Rapstah

Also, is Awesomenauts being called an MMO for its category intentional? It has bot matches and I'm pretty sure it's not always online.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Nah, starved would be if Paper Mario: Sticker Star made it in the top ten. Kid Icarus is one of the best things Nintendo has made in like a decade.

Thank god there are not nearly enough WiiU owners (even on this forum) to defeat something like GTA V.

Thank god? It's not like we know how much any of these two games would deserve it right now. Also, Xenoblade seems to be quite popular in the ,,essential RPG'' votes too so maybe, just mabye, these are really good games and there's no need to be hostile against everything Nintendo and trying to constantly find ways to downplay their games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks, Benny.

People dont like games, they love movies.
What an awful future awaits us...
This might blow your mind, but people can like both! The videogame medium can deliver all kinds of different experiences. You can embrace variety instead of drawing a line in the sand and choosing one side or the other. Pretty cool, huh?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Interesting list! Wasn't really following the voting but a bit surprised at Journey being crowned. Voted for it myself, but not my number 1.

Really like the closeness between Journey and The Walking Dead though and then the huge drop in votes to third place- really a bit of a two horse race! Great list though, thanks for running this!

AOC83

Banned
Thank god? It's not like we know how much any of these two games would deserve it right now. Also, Xenoblade seems to be quite popular in the ,,essential RPG'' votes too so maybe, just mabye, these are really good games and there's no need to be hostile against everything Nintendo and trying to constantly find ways to downplay their games.

Yes , thank god, when is see stuff like Nintendoland, NSMBU and ZombiU getting hyped into oblivion by some people i´m happy there are not nearly enough of them to push a mediore (not necessarily saying Pikmin is such a game) game to the first spot just because it´s Nintendo exclusive.

I think that'll get announced this year, but probably won't make it out until next year.

But won't come out in the west until 2016.
But yeah, their game was the only thing teased alongside Bayonetta 2 in the Japanese Nintendo Direct show for beyond the first half of the Wii U year, so it could be one the first things announced from anticipated studios' projects.

Yes , thank god, when is see stuff like Nintendoland, NSMBU and ZombiU getting hyped into oblivion by some people i´m happy there are not nearly enough of them to push a mediore (not necessarily saying Pikmin is such a game) game to the first spot just because it´s Nintendo exclusive.

Videogame awards, serious business. ZombiU is amazing by the way, the best horror adventure effort from a big publisher since years. And I was one of the people dismissing it after E3. Meanwhile, GTA is okay, because...? I remember people regretting hyping up GTA4 just a couple of months later :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

NintendoLand made my GOTY list and I don't even own a WiiU. I played it at a friends house and its some of the most fun I've had in years

Derrick01

Banned

I agree about nintendoland and NSMB but I've been told by one of my friends that ZombiU is pretty good. Hell if I bought a Wii U today it'd be the only game I'd get and look forward to playing.

But yeah seeing people go nuts over a minigame collection leaves a really sad taste in my mouth.

Well, all of those games were awesome fun, so I don't think it's just about them being Nintendo exclusives. I don't think any were 'hyped to oblivion' either, but I'll go ahead and assume you were being hyperbolic. Have you played them?

But yeah seeing people go nuts over a minigame collection leaves a really sad taste in my mouth.

Having recently played through Journey, I can conclusively say that the Pikmin 'minigame' in Nintendo Land is a longer experience and also a more 'traditional' game.

kitzkozan

Not sure how I feel about Journey and Walking Dead at the top. Particularly Walking Dead.

Anyway, I was pretty surprised Trials Evolution wasn't in the top 20. Also surprised to see it classified as a "platformer".

Most XBLA scored rather low, with the highest ranked being Mark of the Ninja. I'm not really surprised since the Xbox GAF hivemind is rather weak these days, it's clearly obvious if you look at the relative popularity of thread such as Vita and PSN thread or PS+ in general vs Xbox live or XBLA.

I'm really happy to see Sleeping Dogs coming out of nowhere to earn the #4 spot. :] If you are making a sandbox game, which usually can last you 20-30+ hours, you better have solid core mechanics since they will be used over and over. ;) Sleeping Dogs had the fighting and even shooting mostly right and the cars even have a great sense of speed which motivated me enough to complete the races (which I usually couldn't care less about).

Love the list, great picks this year and pretty much what I was expecting, the one thing that surprised me was Sleeping Dogs edging out Dishonored.

AOC83

Banned
I agree about nintendoland and NSMB but I've been told by one of my friends that ZombiU is pretty good. Hell if I bought a Wii U today it'd be the only game I'd get and look forward to playing.

I have played it some time and it´s pretty repetitive and sometimes boring (especially when you have to hit the zombie head the 8th or 9th time with your cricket bat and encounter the same animations over and over again while the zombie poses absolutely zero threat to you).
It´s not a bad game overall but you see that it´s low budget stuff and lacks serious amount of variety and polish.

Yep. When i look at Nintendoland and then back at the launch titles of past Nintendo consoles there´s just disappointment.

Cosmonaut

Top 4 are also my favourite 4 games of last year. XCOM, Journey, TWD and SD.

<3 GAF

However, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is in no way better than Rhythm Heaven Fever.

Omikaru

The only thing I'm bummed out about is Mass Effect 3 beating out Dragon's Dogma, Persona 4 and Xenoblade for RPG of the year. Besides that, I think the general list is very good. I'm super pleased that Persona 4 and Virtue's Last Reward ranked so high. Though this is counterbalanced by the fact that I was quoted in the OP! I'm pretty stoked about that. :D

Here's my affinity list, by the way:

Omikaru
1. mxgt (168)
2. saveweyard (138)
3. RealDeadOne (124)
4. Phoenixazure (122)
5. Toki767 (113)
6. swoon (112)
7. Atilac (110)
8. Myzer (106)
9. Maragidyne (105)
9. Plasma (105)

You all must have exceptionally good taste. :)

Top Bottom