• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2013 Awards

NEO0MJ

Not much surprises on the list, except that Bioshock beat GTA V, and that MGR made it to the top 10. Was really hoping W101 would get a higher ranking on the list.

I know of a few of these guys, such as Muzy, Amir0x and Timeaisis.

Took a peak at my recommendations, too. Some are kinda surprising.

1. [3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening I'm actually about to start this
2. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies Beat it. I really liked it but didn't think it was among my top ten.
3. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Love this game, but decided to drop it from my list at the last second.
4. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV I Completed over 1/3 of the game before iI stopped due to the holiday rush. Really need to get back to it.
5. [NWU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Might pick this up later. I played the original so many times, so no rush to play this.
6. [PS3][PSV][PC] Guacamelee! Another game I played this year. Again it's fantastic, but I decided to give its place to another game, this time Rogue Legacy.
7. [NWU] Lego City Undercover Didn't even consider this game before. Not a big fan of either lego or opn world games, but might give it a chance if I find it for cheap.
8. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite I need to clear my backlog first before playing this. I also can't decide if I should buy it on steam for optimal playing or just play it on PS3 after I got it from PS+.
9. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon Great game, but I had a few issues with it that kept it from my top 10.
10. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf I'm too afraid to play this series again. I was enslaved by Wild World

Everyone saw the winner coming from a mile away. The biggest surprise here is Bioshock Infinite over GTA V. I liked Bioshock Infinite but, nope.

I thought Dragon’s Crown would have made the top 20, but I’m even more taken aback that Rayman Legends didn’t make it. NO! Bad GAF, bad!
At least you will be pleased to hear that Beyond just got in before Dragon's Crown :p

Surprised about Bioshock beating GTAV, and only during the half way of the voting.

Really sad that big titles like GoW are now found on place #61 unlike GoWIII. They seemed to have done the series a disservice (at least for GAF reception, still sold well, no?), even though most would agree that the gameplay is actually really good, the fighting might even be the best in the series... Just the story sucks, but then again that never prevents the Mario games from getting into high ranks ;D

Top 20 list for the new gen (no cross-gen titles which includes handhelds, nor HD ports):
  1. Super Mario 3D World (Platform) = 915 points, 14 honorable mentions (4.) [NWU]
  2. The Wonderful 101 (Action) = 387 points, 11 honorable mentions (13.) [NWU]
  3. Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 287 points, 10 honorable mentions (17.) [NWU]
  4. Resogun (Shooter) = 221 points, 14 honorable mentions (24.) [PS4]
  5. Killzone: Shadow Fall (FPS) = 88 points, 7 honorable mentions (46.) [PS4]
  6. New Super Luigi U (Platform) = 53 points, 9 honorable mentions (62.) [NWU]
  7. Lego City Undercover (Adventure) = 48 points, 6 honorable mentions (66.) [NWU]
  8. Dead Rising 3 (Horror) = 41 points, 4 honorable mentions (69.) [XB1]
  9. Killer Instinct (Fighting) = 34 points, 6 honorable mentions (74.) [XB1]
  10. Toki Tori 2 (Puzzle) = 23 points (95.) [NWU][PC]
  11. Knack (Platform) = 21 points, 4 honorable mentions (96.) [PS4]
  12. Forza Motorsport 5 (Racing) = 21 points (100.) [XB1]
  13. NES Remix (Action) = 18 points, 9 honorable mentions (105.) [NWU]
  14. Ryse: Son of Rome (Action) = 9 points (144.) [XB1]
  15. Warframe (Shooter) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention (154.) [PS4][PC]
  16. Game & Wario (Puzzle) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention (157.) [NWU]
  17. Peggle 2 (Puzzle) = 5 points (184.) [XB1]
  18. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood (Platform) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention (211.) [XB1]
  19. Xbox Fitness (Fitness) = 3 points (218.) [XB1]
  20. Crimson Dragon (Shooter) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention (259.) [XB1]

btw. why were The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Escape Plan PS4 etc. counted but not Flower PS4? Aren't they all HD ports?

edit: oh and why are e.g. Warframe (7 points, 1 honorable mention) and Game & Wario (7 points, 1 honorable mention) placed 154. and 157. respectively, but later in the list games with the same amount of points share the same ranking?

btw. why were The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Escape Plan PS4 etc. counted but not Flower PS4? Aren't they all HD ports?

Wind Waker HD has new features.

edit: oh and why are e.g. Warframe (7 points, 1 honorable mention) and Game & Wario (7 points, 1 honorable mention) placed 154. and 157. respectively, but later in the list games with the same amount of points share the same ranking?

After honorable mentions, the average rank is used as a tiebreaker in sorting.

My recommended list has Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on it, despite that game being #4 on my list this year. I'm not sure how that happened exactly. Either way, glad to see Bioshock Infinite ranking so high. I was worried that after all the hate it seemed to be receiving from that vocal minority on GAF, that people weren't seeing what a true work of art that game was.

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to timetokill and Cheesemeister for all your work on this thread.

I am also really happy with tearaway in the top 10.

It's weird I have someone without any comments on my affinity list (it's a pretty good list but ...)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94156789&postcount=393

My recommended list :
bak4fun
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97583006&postcount=1796
1. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 10 points
I have played GTA V, my problem with it is that it takes too much time to do anything and there is too much filler
2. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 9 points
played also, amazing world but I didn't like the combat and I don't really like story using
multiverse and time travel to explain everything

3. [PS3][PSV][PC] Spelunky (Platform) = 7 points
still playing that from time to time on my vita, it didn't grab me as much as others but it is still really good
4. [PS3][PSV][PC] Guacamelee! (Platform) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
played on vita also, probably around 11 or 12 on my list
5. [3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening (RPG) = 5 points
played, really liked it, but I have a problem with having to know some fights in advance to be able to do well (for example, I need to know where the reinforcement are coming from) so it implies to replay some battles, and I didn't have time to do that, also, maybe it's more a problem with me than with the game, I don't want to play without permadeath but I also can't allow someone to die, so it leads to some more replay, it was too much of a time commitment. I want to go back to it, but I don't know when.
6. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
played it, it was good, but I got distracted by something else and never felt the need to come back to it so I never finished it
7. [NWU][3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Adventure) = 4 points
I own both version of the game and wanted to get into MonHun, but I apparently can't. Played a few hours, and completely stopped, it's like that everytime, this is probably not for me
8. [NWU] Super Mario 3D World (Platform) = 4 points
played it but got bored quite quickly, I never was a big 3D platformer fan and Ithink that the galaxy games are much better and I liked 3D land more, I will come back to it to see the second half (quarter?) of the game as everybody says that it's much better
9. [3DS] Attack of the Friday Monsters! (Simulation) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
I had no idea what it was before the goty thread, now I am really intereted in it.
10. [360][PS3][PC] Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Adventure) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
played it, incredible art direction
especially the dead giants
but it was the only thing I liked from it, the gameplay bored me and I did find the story pretty bad, I couldn't relate to the characters, I found the little brother to be an asshole and the older one to be stupid, also there is several scenes where I felt that the game was just screaming at me : "FEEL SOMETHING!!! DAMMIT, YOU HAVE TO BE SAD!!!!!", nope

11. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Simulation) = 3 points
played it, my first AC and probably my last, the game is really not for me, feels like a bunch of chores to do every day, and the interface feels so archaic
12. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden (RPG) = 3 points
I have it but I want to finish P3P first, I'll try to play it before P5 launch
13. [PS3] Puppeteer (Platform) = 3 points
already in my pile of shame, I really need more time
14. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 3 points
already in my pile of shame on vita, I need to finish origin first
15. [PSV] Muramasa Rebirth (Adventure) = 2 points
I played a bit of the Wii version, it was good, I will probably pick that up on sale
16. [360][PS3][PC] DmC: Devil May Cry (Action) = 2 points
played it, good, not great, certainly not on the same level as DMC3
17. [PS3] Beyond: Two Souls (Adventure) = 2 points
another one that is in my pile of shame, I really liked Heavy Rain, I don't know why I didn't make time to play that before the end of the year, I should play that soon
18. [3DS][PC] Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Racing) = 2 points
I played it on vita, it didn't really grab me, and I was distracted by something else
19. [PS3][PSV][PC] Hotline Miami (Action) = 2 points
awesome game, probably 2nd on my list, if I didn't abide by my own rule that says no port on my list
20. [PC] Gone Home (Adventure) = 2 points
played it, I liked the structure and I like where this kind of game is going, it's just not there yet for me, it's probably not that far outside my top 10, I will be glad to play more games like that
21. [3DS] Pokémon X/Y (RPG) = 2 points
I tried a couple of time to play a pokemon game, and it never clicked with me
22. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 2 points
Already in my pile of shame, I wanted to play it before the vote...
23. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
played it, a bit too repetitive for my taste, I will probably try to go back o it some time this year
24. [PS4] Resogun (Shooter) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
played it, good game but not as good as Super Stardust HD
25. [PS3] Rain (Adventure) = 1 point
pile of shame, yep another one
26. [PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (RPG) = 1 point
maybe I should give that a try, should I play the first games in the serie to enjoy this one?
27. [PS3][PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 (Action) = 1 point
anime musou are mostly fan service (I played the saint seya one and the hokuto no ken one) and I don't really like one piece
28. [PS3] God of War: Ascension (Action) = 1 point
in the pile of shame, everybody being so down on it made me postpone me playing this game, I should play it when I have a bit more time
29. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 1 point
played through the first mansion, found it charming, and never played it again, I should go back to it
30. [360][PC] Monaco: What's Yours is Mine (Action) = 1 point
I'll probably pick that up on the cheap and it will sit in my steam pile of shame ....
31. [360][PC] State of Decay (Horror) = 1 point
already in my pile of shame, I really wanted to play it for the vote but I didn't have the time to do it
32. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Racing) = 1 point
I still haven't played more than 3 hours of GT5 and I own that since day one ...
33. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 1 point
I only played the first one, I really want to catch up on that, what is the best way to get all the PW games (I am in EU)? Are the iOS ports any good?
34. [NWU] The Wonderful 101 (Action) = 1 point
played the beginning of that game (2 or 3 hours), I really liked the universe but some part of the gameplay don't click with me, mostly drawing stuff and I didn't like having to buy the block and avoid moves, but I want to see the cutscenes so I will go back to it.
35. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (RPG) = 1 point
I am in EU ;___;
36. [PC] Gunpoint (Puzzle) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions
another one in my (huge) steam pile of shame
37. [NWU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
I'd rather play a 2D Zelda than a 3D one, I still want to play that one but it's not high on my priority list
38. [PSV] Dokuro (Puzzle) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
vita pile of shame, not high on my priority list of games to play
39. [PSV] Dead or Alive 5 Plus (Fighting) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
I don't like DoA, I'd rather play other fighting games
39. [PS3][PSV] Stick It to the Man (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
I will try that if on ps+ or really cheap

so already played : 19, pile of shame : 10, not interested : 4, interested for cheap : 5, really interested : 2 (and I can't buy SMT IV :( )

My recommended list has Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on it, despite that game being #4 on my list this year. I'm not sure how that happened exactly.

You used a hyphen in the title instead of a colon. Since so many people don't read the rules and use hyphens to separate titles and comments, the parser tries to use hyphens to compensate. Your entry for #4 showed up in the output as "The Legend of Zelda", which is too vague due to there being two such releases in 2013, so it was declared ineligible.

Raw64life

Surprised at Bioshock at #2 but otherwise an expected list. Seems like I have a more eclectic taste than I thought as I only appear one one person's affinity list.

Raw64life
1. seady (106) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95015350&postcount=940
2. Gartooth (105) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96724733&postcount=1478
3. The_Darkest_Red (104) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94851100&postcount=860
4. eXistor (101) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94591687&postcount=741
5. Wiz (100) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94123189&postcount=340
6. Leon S. Kennedy (97) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96835808&postcount=1525
7. Tunic (96) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94927297&postcount=886
8. thisisalan (88) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94514335&postcount=696
9. Xeno_V (85) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94274539&postcount=568
10. cosmicblizzard (84) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95799124&postcount=1286

And my recommendations are about in line with what I thought they'd be.

Raw64life
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95721640&postcount=1240
1. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) = 19 points -I know, I know. Just tired of the whole zombies thing and I'm averse to any game where I need to do precision aiming without a keyboard/mouse.
2. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 13 points - Waiting for the right price.
3. [3DS] Pokémon X/Y (RPG) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention - Haven't played a Pokemon game since Diamond. Maybe I'll get the next one.
4. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Simulation) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention - Never had any interest in this series.
5. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 5 points - Sitting on my PS3 thanks to PS+. Will get around to it eventually.
6. [NWU] The Wonderful 101 (Action) = 5 points - Demo didn't click with me but might grab it at $20.
7. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention - Been on my watch list for a while now, just need to find the time.
8. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention - Enjoyed the demo enough, but no physical copy = no buy.
9. [NWU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Adventure) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention - Have too many new games already, no time for a game I already played through.
10. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) = 2 points, 3 honorable mentions - Waiting for PS+.

Miletius

Thanks for your work on the list. My list differed pretty vastly but that's not a huge deal to me.

My affinity list is interesting, I had high affinity with Remachinate and McDougles and a few close ones as well. I'm not great with names though, so I don't really know who any of you guys are -- sorry, and it's probably the same for you guys as well.

I also own quite a few on my recommended list, so in my case I feel like it's creating a good list based on my taste.

Teddified

Nice list. Thanks for the work.

There are still a few games from this year that I need to finish like Tearaway and Saint's Row IV, so they didn't get on my list.

I'll try to play more games this year, but I dunno if I'll end up at 10 games this year either since I don't play too many games that release the same year.

Had a lot of great experiences last year hopefully this year is just as good if not better.

You used a hyphen in the title instead of a colon. Since so many people don't read the rules and use hyphens to separate titles and comments, the parser tries to use hyphens to compensate. Your entry for #4 showed up in the output as "The Legend of Zelda", which is too vague due to there being two such releases in 2013, so it was declared ineligible.

ah.....that's what it was.

No soup for me.

Wind Waker HD has new features.

After honorable mentions, the average rank is used as a tiebreaker in sorting.

Ok thanks.
Though I don't think Sound Shape and Escape Plan got new features really (counts due to DS4 features?). I have two minds about the HD ports, I get why we exclude them usually but at the same time you end up with other games counting again that they were released in different regions at different times or are late ports, but e.g. no ICO HD :S

Going through the recommendation list:
1. [PS3][PSV][PC] Guacamelee! (Platform) = 8 points
I have it via PS+, but didn't interest me I must say, maybe now I should start it up though, can't be placed first by chance ;D
2. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 7 points
Have it via PS+, had no time so far though.
3. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 7 points
Apparently we'll get it via PS+, will probably play immediately, it was on my to-buy list anyway
4. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 6 points
On my to buy list, though I was done with TR but it seems interesting again. Would prefer PS4 version though (and seems like title that would show up on PS+)
5. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Batman: Arkham Origins (Adventure) = 5 points
First I will have to finish the second game (PS+), the first one kinda burned me out already even though I liked it. So that's a nope on Origins I guess
6. [PS3] Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (Platform) = 5 points
oh.. uhm, I don't even know there's a new title. But nope, they are good to play but I have no interest in them atm.
7. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice (Adventure) = 4 points
No Vita (and kinda meh on SS)
8. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) = 3 points
No Vita but I'm interested in that game...
9. [PS3] Puppeteer (Platform) = 3 points
Skipped that one last year, still, I don't think I will buy it, maybe PS+?
10. [360][PS3][PC] DmC: Devil May Cry (Action) = 3 points
Got it already via PS+, I'm not against the design changes so I will actually play it at some point :p
11. [PSV] Killzone: Mercenary (FPS) = 2 points
No Vita and honestly, I want such games on PS4/big screen etc.
12. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] DuckTales: Remastered (Platform) = 2 points
Interested...
13. [360][PS3][PC] Mass Effect 3: Citadel (RPG) = 2 points
Wait, we include DLC? Anyway, I finished ME3, but nope I won't play the DLC
14. [PS4] Knack (Platform) = 2 points
Starting from here it gets kinda random with games I have no interest in (including Knack :p) so I skip the rest

and the shout out via the affinity list:

"BROTHERS!" ;) (100+ affinity points seem to be rather high actually)
Feeling kinda happy I have Melchiah on the list :D

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I am not surprised at all when i see last of us taking the top spot.
Thank you for the hard work :)

I can use this to see what game i need to play next

Ketch

The best part of this thread are all the crazy stats. Very cool. Thanks to everyone who put it together. Great work.

Ok thanks.
Though I don't think Sound Shape and Escape Plan got new features really (counts due to DS4 features?). I have two minds about the HD ports, I get why we exclude them usually but at the same time you end up with other games counting again that they were released in different regions at different times or are late ports, but e.g. no ICO HD :S

Basically, GOTY is for new games released only that year. Due to the nature of the business, however, releases in different regions and platforms are often spread across multiple years. What was new for me last year is new for you this year. I could call something my GOTY before you even had a chance to buy it in your market. Moreover, re-releases of old titles range from decades-old ROM dumps to major headliner with lots of polish and new features, with many shades inbetween. Where to draw the line? It's arbitrary.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Everyone was warned to follow the prescribed format, lest their ballot get thrown out. Some people ignored the rules, others simply didn't read them.

From what I understood by your explanation Goldenroad didn't actually do anything wrong, did he? His vote just got caught in some optimization in your parser he couldn't have known about.

Everyone was warned to follow the prescribed format, lest their ballot get thrown out. Some people ignored the rules, others simply didn't read them.

and mine was almost thrown out for a post 50 pages after my actual ballot for joking about TLoU obviously being first!

pls don't kill me

From what I understood by your explanation Goldenroad didn't actually do anything wrong, did he? His vote just got caught in some optimization in your parser he couldn't have known about.

Yeah, and only the vote for that particular game got thrown out, not the entire ballot.

It's not perfect, folks. I wrote the program to pick up the maximum amount of data, attempting to ensure that those who follow the rules have their ballots read in properly. There are cases in which people might try to vote multiple times, stuff the ballot box, or leave gaps in their rankings. These all have to be accounted for. Going through and finding every single exception to the program's handling across over a thousand ballots would be extremely time-consuming.

Yeah, and only the vote for that particular game got thrown out, not the entire ballot.

It's not perfect, folks. I wrote the program to pick up the maximum amount of data, attempting to ensure that those who follow the rules have their ballots read in properly. There are cases in which people might try to vote multiple times, stuff the ballot box, or leave gaps in their rankings. These all have to be accounted for. Going through and finding every single exception to the program's handling across over a thousand ballots would be extremely time-consuming.
Don't sweat it. Your program and algorithm is great. The amount of data collected is insane.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yup, this wasn't meant as criticism, obviously(?). Believe me, I can appreciate how well done it is. I was just wondering because of the answer given to theprodigy.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
To be fair, the title of the game is not

The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Wolrds (sic)

but

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Maybe Cheesemeister can make it so that it if ";" is present, then it will not try to interpret "-" as the separator.
But in the end everyone knows a program is used and if the actual title of the game would have been used the game would have been counted.

He could also be using Levenshtein string matching and such, but everyone following a simple format which is pointed out in the thread title and highlighted with red in the OP is plenty of warning. And the vote runs for a month. (In addition to people often pointing out errors with ballots.)

To be fair, the title of the game is not

The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Wolrds (sic)

but

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Maybe Cheesemeister can make it so that it if ";" is present, then it will not try to interpret "-" as the separator.
But in the end everyone knows a program is used and if the actual title of the game would have been used the game would have been counted.

He could also be using Levenshtein string matching and such, but everyone following a simple format which is pointed out in the thread title and highlighted with red in the OP is plenty of warning. And the vote runs for a month. (In addition to people often pointing out errors with ballots.)

nobody ever actually goes back to their ballot though, which is incredibly annoying

Forkball

Tearaway beat Pokemon? Sony GAF has gone too far.

Pretty predictable awards. Zelda and Mario were neck and neck. I was also surprised to see FE rank so high. It deserves it, but the game came out in February and I was wondering if people would just forget about it.

oggob

Happy to see Tearaway in the Top 10. Similar that Guacamelee! got upto 16th.

Nice work for all those involved.

As for my recommendation list, of the 29 on the list, I own 16 of them, but they are on the backlog, another that I have finished and the most of the remainder on platforms that I don't own, but probably would if I did. Overall, solid recommendation list.

The PSWii60 generation in review:

2006 – The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2007 - Super Mario Galaxy
2008 - Metal Gear Solid 4
2009 – Uncharted 2
2010 – Mass Effect 2
2011 – Portal 2
2012 – Journey
2013 – The Last of Us

Interesting notes: 6/8 are console exclusives. 4/8 are Sony exclusives. 2/8 are Nintendo exclusives and 2/8 are multi platform.

gadwn

That passion award says the most imho. ND, I love you so much.

Such a bummer that Bioshock managed to get that high though.

I've no idea who they are, probably because I rarely post here :lol
But nice taste :p

kuroneko0509
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97614614&postcount=1936
1. [NWU] The Wonderful 101 (Action) = 12 points One day I'll play this, hoping for extra budget to buy it
2. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention Same as above
3. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention Same as previous two
4. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 8 points Got this on my US PS+, probably after exam I'll play it
5. [NWU][3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Adventure) = 6 points Played it
6. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 4 points Same as 1st recommendation
7. [360][PS3][PC] Saints Row IV (Adventure) = 3 points Waiting for cheap steam sale :p
8. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice (Adventure) = 3 points US PS+.. in my backlog atm
9. [PS3] Tales of Xillia (RPG) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions Backlog atm
10. [NWU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Adventure) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions Haven't finished yet. Probably 1 day
11. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention In my radar
12. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
13. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden (RPG) = 2 points 1/2 the story atm
14. [PS3] Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk (RPG) = 2 points Waiting for 1 day PSV remake :lol
15. [PS3][PSV][PC] Proteus (Adventure) = 1 point Will check bout this later
16. [PC] Age of Empires II: The Forgotten (Adventure) = 1 point Not interested
17. [PSV] Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland (RPG) = 1 point Probably will get this once I finished Totori
18. [PC] Risk of Rain (Adventure) = 1 point Never heard of it, will check it later
19. [PS3][PSV][PC] Guacamelee! (Platform) = 1 point Will get it one day
20. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 1 point Missed a good deal a few days back, gonna wait till similar deal to exist before I grab this
21. [PS3][PC] Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut (Horror) = 1 point
22. [PC] Papers, Please (Simulation) = 1 point Never heard of it, will check it later
23. [PC] Volgarr the Viking (Platform) = 1 point Never heard of it, will check it later
24. [360][PS3][PC] Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Adventure) = 1 point Will play later when it's on US PS+ iinm
25. [PS3][PSV][PC] Spelunky (Platform) = 1 point
26. [PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (RPG) = 1 point Planning to play it, but waiting for my friend to finish her first
27. [360] Do-Don-Pachi Saidaioujou (Shooter) = 1 point
28. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (RPG) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions Backlog oh backlog
29. [3DS] Senran Kagura Burst (Action) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions Not interested unless got eShop sales
30. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions Never heard of it, will check it later
31. [IOS][AND] Kingdom Rush Frontiers (Strategy) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention I'm using WP8 :\
31. [PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention With the 1st game got remake on Vita, I'll wait first on this one
33. [3DS] Attack of the Friday Monsters! (Simulation) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Waiting for eShop sale :p
34. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] DuckTales: Remastered (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Probably later
35. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention One day...
36. [PS3][PSV] Dragon's Crown (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Gonna get this once all Muramasa DLC are out
37. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Played it
38. [360][PS3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Hrmmm
39. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Not interested in GTA actually
40. [PSV] Super Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Academy (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Played the 1st one, probably will try the 2nd one later
Quite nice recommendation. How I wish that I've enough budget to grab most of the games listed :(

The Jer

The recommendations are a really cool idea!

I took a look at my top ten. Three of them seem really, really interesting - I'll definitely play them.

I have no interest in playing my number one recommendation (GTA5)....

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why was my vote for Virtue's Last Reward rated as "DISALLOWED"? The game released in 2013, at least that's the case here in Germany, did I do something wrong there? I'm asking in order to not make that mistake again.

Massa

Surprised about Bioshock beating GTAV, and only during the half way of the voting.

Really sad that big titles like GoW are now found on place #61 unlike GoWIII. They seemed to have done the series a disservice (at least for GAF reception, still sold well, no?), even though most would agree that the gameplay is actually really good, the fighting might even be the best in the series... Just the story sucks, but then again that never prevents the Mario games from getting into high ranks ;D

It's not just the story that sucks, most people seem to dislike the combat changes quite a bit.

For me it was the worst God of War game in the series by far, at times it felt like a poor man's God of War (like Dante's Inferno). The game just felt off.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sorry it wasn't caught. Hundreds of titles have to get checked.

Yeah, I totally understand and am not mad ;). I just wanted to check if I made an error (like for example having to specify where I'm from or something) that I'd need to avoid next time. I appreciate the hard work you are doing here!

Sorry it took me so long to comment on this, but thanks to everyone that worked on this and tabulated the results. Great job!

My one qualm would be that the "adventure" category seems a bit too broad, when games like The Legend of Zelda and Ace Attorney are competing against each other when they are both incredibly different types of "adventure" games.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
A late shout out to Cheesemeister and Timetokill for their marvelous polling effort, breakdown and presentation.

A part from the top 3 which was always a given, I think the list is quite interesting as well! So glad that games like Wonderful101 and Tearaway made it up high on the list!

My entry

And I might as well post my new best friend lists and recommendations while I'm at it:

I'm sure you're all top notch human beings and masterful players of video games!

Roboleon
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94099924&postcount=173
1. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) = 6 points, 3 honorable mentions Never heard of it
2. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention Have played, it's fine but not top of the list material for me
3. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 4 points I need to play the other games first *hides in a corner*
4. [NWU] New Super Luigi U (Platform) = 3 points I enjoyed it, not goty material
5. [NWU][3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Adventure) = 3 points was an HM, I didn't add any HD remakes or new versions of games because that feels weird to me.
6. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 3 points I always end up hiking and the mountains and crashing cars till I'm bored in modern GTA games
7. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention Should try, I have it on steam
8. [360][PS3][PC] Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (FPS) = 2 points Just started it, love it so far!!!
9. [360][XB1][PSP][PS3][PSV][PS4][WII][3DS][PC][IOS][AND] FIFA 14 (Sports) = 2 points nope
10. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (RPG) = 2 points
11. [3DS][PC] SteamWorld Dig (Platform) = 2 points love it, but not top of the list like Spelunky would have been
12. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (RPG) = 2 points why not?
13. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (RPG) = 2 points Why u hate yurop, Atlus???
14. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention I have an issue with Rayman games, and don't enjoy them much. Don't really know why..
15. [NWU] NES Remix (Action) = 1 point neat, not goty stuff for me
16. [PS3] God of War: Ascension (Action) = 1 point eh
17. [360][PS3][PC] DmC: Devil May Cry (Action) = 1 point will play at some point
18. [PS3][PSV][PC] Hotline Miami (Action) = 1 point GOTY 2012
19. [PC] The Swapper (Puzzle) = 1 point will play
20. [360][PS3][PC] Metro: Last Light (FPS) = 1 point yup, will play eventually
21. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 1 point perhaps, got bored after three hours of the first one
22. [PS3][PC] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (MMO) = 1 point don't like MMOs much
23. [3DS] Attack of the Friday Monsters! (Simulation) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
24. [PSV] Killzone: Mercenary (FPS) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention nope
25. [PS4] Resogun (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Day1 when I get a PS4!!
26. [NWU] Lego City Undercover (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention will get for my son, and probably play some with him too!
27. [PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention love ghibli, will play

IISANDERII

Damn my affinity is the lowest I've seen, 52 is my highest yet it wouldn't even crack anybody else's top 10. And I appeared on nobody else's list. I guess I'm a freak who's too weird even for neogaf :(

IISANDERII
1. jyoung188 (52) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97546910&postcount=1749
2. EatChildren (43) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95473987&postcount=1120
2. Spookie (43) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94109218&postcount=239
4. Andrew. (42) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94166605&postcount=435
4. Donos (42) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95040466&postcount=979
4. Paskil (42) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94218955&postcount=520
4. RiccochetJ (42) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94300393&postcount=594
4. sleeprockss (42) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95428330&postcount=1106
9. Arlecchino (41) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97634195&postcount=2054
9. BrokenEchelon (41) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95027500&postcount=957

My list was:

1. Call of Juarez Gunslinger
2. Miami Hotline
3. Saint's Row 4
4. The Last of Us
5. Devil May Cry
6. Gran Turismo 6
7. Call of Duty Ghost
8. Magrunner Dark Pulse
9. Flower
10. Resogun

I only recently played Bioshock but I would slide it in somewhere in the top 3, maybe even #1.
Anyway, thanks for this thread, great work compiling the data.

Top Bottom