• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2013 Awards

Tonguer

60% Multi, 20% Nintendo, 10% PC, 10% Sony

My user stats look different if I break out the multi to where I played them:
40% Microsoft, 20% Nintendo, 20% PC, 20% Sony

Not intentional at all, I didn't go thinking about what I played on different platforms, just what I played - and that's a pretty good justification (to myself) for owning and playing on several platforms. Interesting that I could have hit my top ten without touching the Xbox...

The Recommendations list is great; of the 31 titles in my list:
10 - games I've already played or finished, but weren't on my top ten
4 - games I own and haven't yet played
8 - games on my 'want to buy when I can' list
9 - games I wasn't looking to pick up, and might reconsider adding to my 'want' list - specifically MGR:R after the showing in the top ten:
2. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 7 points
7. [360][PS3][PC] Rocksmith 2014 (Rhythm) = 4 points
10. [360][PS3][PSV][NWU][PC] Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Platform) = 3 points
17. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 2 points
21. [360][PS3][PC] Metro: Last Light (FPS) = 1 point
22. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 1 point
23. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (RPG) = 1 point
26. [IOS] Year Walk (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
31. [PC] Democracy 3 (Simulation) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

I'm surprised by the number of posts about why a certain game is or isn't on the list or where it placed - it's the math of the votes, which are subjective and have a LOT to do with what games people did or didn't play. If every voter played all the games that qualify for consideration, maybe the list would look a lot different.

Looking at my recommendation list...

1. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 7 points
Played, it was okay.
2. [PS3][PSV][PC] Guacamelee! (Platform) = 6 points
Played, mostly enjoyed, would change some things.
3. [3DS] Pokémon X/Y (RPG) = 5 points
Played, mostly enjoyed.
4. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (RPG) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
Played, mostly enjoyed, didn't finish
5. [PC] Dota 2 (Strategy) = 4 points
Played, got really in to for a while, then just stopped for no discernible reason
6. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
Played, enjoyed
7. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 3 points
Have not played, want to get the Wii U version and am waiting for the bomba price
8. [360][PS3][PC] Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (FPS) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
Own, haven't played
9. [PS3] Beyond: Two Souls (Adventure) = 2 points
Played, hated a lot
10. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Simulation) = 2 points
Played, didn't make my top ten
11. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) = 2 points
Played for a few minutes, need to play more of
12. [360][PC] State of Decay (Horror) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
Don't own but I hear it's good
13. [PS3] Tales of Xillia (RPG) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
Played, thought it was disappointing
14. [XB1] Dead Rising 3 (Horror) = 1 point
Pretty much the only Xbox One game I would buy the system for
15. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 1 point
Played, enjoyable but didn't finish since it was too long
16. [IOS] Device 6 (Adventure) = 1 point
Heard of, am interested in trying
17. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (RPG) = 1 point
Came out at a bad time, will buy eventually
18. [PC] Civilization V: Brave New World (Strategy) = 1 point
Never been a big Civ guy but I should really try again, pretty sure I own this?
19. [PC] Antichamber (Puzzle) = 1 point
Played, enjoyed
20. [PC] Volgarr the Viking (Platform) = 1 point
Playing and am currently Let's Playing, actually.
21. [XB1] Killer Instinct (Fighting) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions
Eh. No interest.
22. [360][PS3][PC] Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (FPS) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Played a bit of, thought it was okay.
23. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Played, enjoyed, weirdly life-affirming.
24. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Played, mission design is the worst of the series but the open world is good.
25. [NWU][3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Own, haven't played.

Ganondorfo

I want to say that I always buy games based on the Gaf Goty of that year. So thank you Gaf, without you I, wouldnt have a good library.

KorrZ

The Last of Us at number 1 is all I wanted to see happen. Good work GAF, you've done well on this day. Very surprised to see Infinite at #2 with all the backlash, but vocal minority and all that I guess.

Looking into Fire Emblem Awakening based on it's place in the top 10.

Except this is my point. Having Joel and Ellie and Tess and Joel having conversations while playing through the game was interesting and unto itself far more dynamic and captivating than the cutscenes ever were. Aside from the AI being buggy as hell and the distances at which characters could be heard being awkward, the game itself is not bad. It's serviceable enough and the character discussions through the gameplay were interesting and could have been elaborated upon to be more than they were. But the issue is that they were always subordinate to the cutscenes, not nearly as developed and full as they surely would have been.

It would have been interesting to be able to walk around in the shoes of Joel as he gets nervous, pacing with difficulty around rooms or functioning differently as if in a rage when the characters he cares about go missing. But the design never reflects what you watch, and more than that, the design never reflects what Joel feels. Becoming weaker still has the same effect it always does, putting a red "danger" circle around your HUD, but never actually making Joel less able to do all the insane things he constantly does. Joel's sadness, anger, worry, doubt, never come across in the gameplay. He doesn't try to stay behind characters he's worried about betraying him, he doesn't aggressively attempt to find food when they claim they're hungry or cold or seem to be affected by missing out on these things when they're given to other characters for the good of his somewhat sketchy ability to identify with others and escape his cynicism.

I see cutscenes as a generally lazy excuse for not being able to figure out how to handle a situation well in design. In the case of The Last of Us, the central problem was things like Ellie and Tess's AI, and Naughty Dog very clearly knew this, given that these characters are untouchable throughout the entirety of the game. They're invisible at all times except as voices in Joel's head during the gameplay sequences and only become particularly relevant when you're playing as them or watching them do things that largely would have been more interesting outside of a cutscene. It's extraordinarily deflationary to see characters preparing for an attack or getting nervous over enemies yet never really feeling this is something that has to do with you, but characters you are watching, because cutscenes are pivotal points at which these events occur.

Cutscenes are generally being processed as content, when they are almost always better as context. The use of a cutscene for the purpose of intimidating you in Dark Souls is interesting because it provides context, the use of a cutscene in The Last of Us is not because it provides content. While I do not think that cutscenes cannot provide content, the content they provide must be relevant to the gameplay. Needing a cutscene to open a door, using them to analyze and make decisions with regards to a character's intent, are potential uses of cutscenes with content. But the cutscenes-as-content only works if they have some level of relevance to the gameplay, otherwise they are simply repeating the same mistake videogames have been repeating for decades now. I'm going to take a note from Christopher Franklin here and state that if a movie or book's central idea is "show, don't tell," then a videogame's central idea is "do, don't show." The Last of Us is an excellent example of the former rather than the latter.
Engagement is great, effective engagement is better, and cutscenes are generally not effective engagement. In fact most of the time they're not a part of engagement at all, but separation. "These are the bits you have control over, we'll just be over here telling a story you have no power or ability to engage in." Engagement requires participation, and the player is rarely allowed to intrude upon the realm of the developer god. It's understandable as to why, it's difficult to code sequences which attempt to take the player into account and it's far less difficult to simply present a story outside the player's domain. But it takes away from the concept of player agency and its meta-narrative is the same as The Stanley Parable without the self-awareness or conceit.

tl;dr I'm not big on using cutscenes as content rather than context. Rabble Rabble Rabble.
Great post. I guess this is still a developing thing. I wonder what's your take on Remedy games where they do more in-game story moments with character interactions, overhearing NPCs, and more backstory like in Alan Wake, but the cutscenes in Max Payne 1 and 2 were still content. You mention Joel should be staying behind a suspected betraying character, which is what's done in Max Payne 2's opening moments at Squeaky Clean.

Many games now use playable hallucinations after Max Payne to get you into the protagonist's head. This seems like a starting step. Right now it seems the "slow walk and talk" is the replacement for cutscenes. I thought it was done really well in Alan Wake's Chapter 4 when you end up in an
asylum
and going around the place for so long with the doctor's reassuring words made me question whether Alan was really making it all up in his head.

I guess Spec Ops The Line is my favourite example for in-game characterisation. Everything down to the varying war shouts and melee animations getting more brutal as it went on.

Zornack

Popularity means a lot actually, and regardless of intent, does reflect society on some level. I see it as generally negative when sites critical of games follow the patterns of society at large due to the fact that they are intended to be a critical force against the interests of the consumer and the developer. They are intended to be critical when most will not, taking heat when others will back down or stay silent. They are the literal definition of a vocal minority, and when they become the majority... well, you end up with DoritosPope. It is the Tevis Thompson argument that while there will be some agreement amongst critics about videogames naturally, it is strange to see as much agreement as there is within the critical media..

I don't agree with your assessment of games media. When it comes to GOTY they are no longer looking to be critical of the medium or highlight indie darlings which do new things, they are finding what they, as a group, had the best time with.

Polygon didn't make Gone Home their GOTY because they wanted to send a message, they made it their GOTY because that is the game they, as a group, enjoyed the most in 2013. Same for Gamespot with ALBW and Giant Bomb with TLoU. There is no message, only a celebration of what they saw as the best entertainment of the year.

GOTY should not change from "this is what we, as a group, enjoyed the most" to "this is what we, as a group, thinks should be highlighted the most."

BlackJace

I just want to thank Cheesemeister and timetokill again for compiling the data. It's really nice to look over my "stats" for what I accomplished this year. The user affinity in particular helps posters resonate with each other too. Paying extra attention to what they say about a certain game in the future, ask for advice on another game, ask for assist with an OT, etc.

Awesome stuff.

ViviOggi

DA HOMIES

iqOPeovkNab94.gif

Next time I need money, shelter, and/or a getaway vehicle, I know who to call.
My fellow gaming bros:
I actually recognize most people on my list this year. Interesting to see some shmuppers... ^__^
Best taste represent

Punjicide

My recommendation list:
1. [PC] Dota 2 (Strategy) = 8 points
2. [NWU] Super Mario 3D World (Platform) = 7 points
3. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 6 points
4. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 5 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Adventure) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [PC] Gunpoint (Puzzle) = 5 points
7. [PC] Papers, Please (Simulation) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
8. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 4 points
9. [PC] Antichamber (Puzzle) = 3 points
10. [PC] The Swapper (Puzzle) = 3 points
11. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 3 points
12. [360][PS3][PC] Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (FPS) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
13. [360][PS3][PC] Remember Me (Adventure) = 2 points
14. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 2 points
15. [PC] StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (Strategy) = 2 points
16. [3DS] Pokémon X/Y (RPG) = 2 points
17. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) = 2 points
18. [IOS] The Room Two (Puzzle) = 1 point
19. [IOS][AND] Cook, Serve, Delicious! (Simulation) = 1 point
20. [XB1] Killer Instinct (Fighting) = 1 point
21. [PS3][PSV][PC] Guacamelee! (Platform) = 1 point
22. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 1 point
23. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 1 point
24. [3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening (RPG) = 1 point
25. [PS3][PSV][PC] Hotline Miami (Action) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
26. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Simulation) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
27. [PC] ARMA 3 (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

Pretty good list, I'm interested in playing many of these games. The only thing stopping me from playing the many Nintendo games on the list is that I don't own a 3DS or Wii U yet, but I'm becoming increasingly interested in them, especially with Smash Bros. on the horizon.

I played Tomb Raider and StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, and while I liked both, they didn't make my personal top 10. I just finished Metal Gear Rising this last week, and love that game to bits (like the bits Raiden diced his enemies into), but it didn't feel right for me to put it on my list since I played the PC version that just came out (make no mistake, it will most likely be on my list for 2014). I also have Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Antichamber, and Papers, Please, but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

Going through my 41-game recommendations list, cut it down to games that I've been thinking of playing or already played (Bolded = games I've already played, but either didn't put enough time into it before the deadline or it just didn't make the cut):

Zero-Crescent
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94094986&postcount=132
1. [3DS] Pokémon X/Y (RPG) = 13 points Just bought it recently on AWD for a bargain. I'm only up to the Castle, but I'm already liking the changes they've made to the gameplay, like the EXP Share and the reusable TMs.
2. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Adventure) = 12 points, 1 honorable mention I regretted not buying it before the deadline, since everything I've seen about it looks great, I'll definitely get it one of these days.
3. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) = 10 points The gameplay didn't grab me (and I was annoyed by a few factors), and I thought the story was good. Wasn't in my Top 10.
4. [3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening (RPG) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention Got it because of the eShop deal with SMTIV, I liked what I played so far, but I didn't put as much time into it as I wanted to. Maybe I'll go back to it one day.
5. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention Got it via PS+ this week, and finished it; it probably would have been on my list if I got to it earlier, since I was entertained by the gameplay and story, though they could have used more Skylines in the combat areas for more fast-paced conflicts.
10. [360][PS3][PC] Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Adventure) = 4 points I'll probably get to this when it's free on PS+ later this month
14. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 3 points
15. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (RPG) = 2 points
16. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 2 points
19. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden (RPG) = 2 points My 2012 GOTY. :)
20. [360][PS3][PSV][NWU][PC] Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Platform) = 2 points Got it via PS+ and Humble Bundle, but I haven't put enough time into it. Seemed quite charming though.
21. [3DS][PC] SteamWorld Dig (Platform) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
22. [PC] Rogue Legacy (Platform) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
23. [PC] Dust: An Elysian Tail (Adventure) = 1 point Bought it a few months ago, but only played a little bit of it before getting distracted by other games. I like Metroidvanias, so I'll probably go back to this one day.
24. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Batman: Arkham Origins (Adventure) = 1 point Arkham City managed to make a top spot on my list that year despite hitting a nasty save-deleting bug. Heck I even bought and replayed it again when I bought the GOTY edition on GMG for a bargain. But I didn't want to deal with all that again when I saw that the PC version of BAO had a bunch of bugs. I'll wait for the inevitable NGOTY/Complete Edition.
25. [360][PS3][PC] DmC: Devil May Cry (Action) = 1 point Got it via PS+ recently, liked what I played, though the framerate was a bit uneven. May go back to it or get it on PC.
28. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (RPG) = 1 point This is one I intend to tackle one day. The demo was fun, but I've been playing plenty of other RPGs, pushing this one down in priority.
30. [3DS] StreetPass: Mii Force (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Got the bundle not too long after release. I've enjoyed all four games, especially with the new relay system. Mii Force, as a semi-whimsical side-scrolling shooter, made the best first impression, since it was the most traditional game in the bunch. But the more I played it, the more I noticed its problems, especially after beating the game. For one, it has the biggest time investment out of all the games each time you play, to the point where I've considered skipping it when I just want to cycle my StreetPass hits. It doesn't help that the cutscenes are so wordy; they're funny the first time, but when you're aiming for high scores, it can get annoying since it just increases the time investment.
31. [3DS] 3D Galaxy Force II (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention A very nice remake of a lesser-known arcade classic. It might be one of the best uses of the 3DS' 3D functionality so far.
32. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention Got it from PS+ but it didn't quite grab me. I later deleted it off of my Vita's memory card, but the save data's in the cloud, so I guess I can go back one day.
34. [PC] Gunpoint (Puzzle) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention This is one title that I was debating on whether to add to my list. I enjoyed the story, the gameplay manages to be both thoughtful and fast-paced. Ultimately, what kept it off was that I felt it was too short; like the game ends just as it is finding its groove. The epilogue was great, though.
37. [3DS] StreetPass: Monster Manor (Horror) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention I've gotten to the point where I'm preferring Monster Manor over all the other StreetPass games. It still has a big time investment, but it lacks the annoyances that some of the other major SP games have. The gameplay moves along at a fast enough clip, and the randomness keeps it interesting every time I enter the manor.
38. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention I've gotta try this one day. Either on the PS3 via PS+ or on the PC. It sounds delightfully nuts. :)

Busaiku

Let's take a look at my recommendations...
1. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Adventure) = 13 points
Played it, it was ok.
2. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 6 points
Own it, dunno why I'm not playing it. I intended to play it before I submitted my vote, but I just don't feel like it.
3. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (RPG) = 5 points
I'm probably gonna skip this.
4. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
I should get this some time.
5. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 4 points
This probably would've been on my list if Capcom released a physical copy.
6. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
Nah, doesn't sound interesting to me.
7. [NWU] Lego City Undercover (Adventure) = 3 points
Eh, not feeling this. Maybe if it was smoother than it is.
8. [NWU] NES Remix (Action) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
Gonna get this some time.
9. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
It was pretty fun.
10. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
Doesn't interest me.
11. [NWU] Game & Wario (Puzzle) = 2 points
Nah, too much for what it is.
12. [360][PS3] Anarchy Reigns (Action) = 2 points
Maybe at some point, but I dunno.
13. [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall (FPS) = 2 points
Don't like FPSs.
14. [NWU] Dr. Luigi (Puzzle) = 2 points
Maybe at some point.
15. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 2 points
Didn't like other Assassin's Creed games, I doubt this'll change anything.
16. [3DS] StreetPass: Monster Manor (Horror) = 2 points
Really like this a lot lately.
17. [3DS] Bravely Default (RPG) = 2 points
Fully paid off. NoA pls.
18. [PS3][PC] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (MMO) = 2 points
I'm really considering it.
19. [3DS] Senran Kagura Burst (Action) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
If only the US got a physical copy.
20. [PS3][PSV][PC] Divekick (Fighting) = 1 point
Sorry Keits, not feeling this.
21. [360][PS3][PC] Payday 2 (FPS) = 1 point
Another FPS.
22. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 1 point
Didn't really like Rayman Origins.
23. [PC] Risk of Rain (Adventure) = 1 point
Never heard of this, maybe I'll look into it.
24. [PS3][PSV][PC] Hotline Miami (Action) = 1 point
Watching Floe play it was enough.
25. [360][PS3][PC] Saints Row IV (Adventure) = 1 point
Can't really get into these types of games.
26. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (RPG) = 1 point
I hate Amami Monolith.
27. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut (RPG) = 1 point
Probably not.
28. [PS3][PSV] Dragon's Crown (Adventure) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions
Played Odin Sphere, but haven't felt like trying any Vanillaware games since.
29. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Resident Evil: Revelaitons HD (Horror) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Nah, don't feel this.
30. [NWU] Wii Fit U (Fitness) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Definitely not for me.
31. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Maybe if I get a Vita.
32. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] DuckTales: Remastered (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
I own the physical copy, gotta get to it at some point.
33. [3DS][PC] SteamWorld Dig (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Probably not.
34. [PS3] Tales of Xillia (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
I always think I'll try a Tales game, but then another comes out and the cycle continues.
35. [PS3][PSV][PC] Guacamelee! (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Probably not.
36. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Lara's too moe for me.
37. [PC] Papers, Please (Simulation) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Might check this out at some point.
38. [PS3][PSV][PC] Spelunky (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Dunno if I will or not.
39. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
Maybe if I get a Vita, but even then, probably not too likely.

Riposte

I don't understand the whole "I'm going to publicly express how disinterested I am at this recommendation" thing. It is just what people who voted for some of the same games as you also like. I don't think it's examining your favorite genre or anything, so it is remarkable a well-received FPS shows up (perhaps listed for no reason other than a single honorable mention, no less)?

Raysoul

Action Game of the Year: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance = 586 points, 22 honorable mentions
2. The Wonderful 101 = 387 points, 11 honorable mentions
3. DmC: Devil May Cry = 184 points, 14 honorable mentions
4. Hotline Miami = 127 points, 6 honorable mentions
5. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist = 111 points, 5 honorable mentions

Ahhhhhhhhh! I'm really surprised!

W101 > DmC

I love you GAF!

I don't understand the whole "I'm going to publicly express how disinterested I am at this recommendation" thing. It is just what people who voted for some of the same games as you also like. I don't think it's examining your favorite genre or anything, so it is remarkable a well-received FPS shows up (perhaps listed for no reason other than a single honorable mention, no less)?

Well here's a list of reasons I won't play games others with similar tastes have deemed interesting:

Linkhero1

Linkhero1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94154101&postcount=390
1. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Adventure) = 17 points, 1 honorable mention
2. [PC] Dota 2 (Strategy) = 7 points
3. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) = 7 points
4. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 7 points
5. [NWU] The Wonderful 101 (Action) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 6 points
7. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Simulation) = 5 points
8. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
9. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 4 points
10. [PS3][PSV][PC] Guacamelee! (Platform) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
11. [PS3][PSV][PC] Spelunky (Platform) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
12. [NWU][3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Adventure) = 3 points
13. [360][PS3][PC] DmC: Devil May Cry (Action) = 3 points
14. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 3 points
15. [NWU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Adventure) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions
16. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
17. [360][PS3][PSV][NWU][PC] Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Platform) = 2 points
18. [PC] The Swapper (Puzzle) = 2 points
19. [3DS] Bravely Default (RPG) = 2 points
20. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (RPG) = 2 points
21. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (RPG) = 2 points
22. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 2 points
23. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
24. [NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (RPG) = 1 point
25. [NWU] NES Remix (Action) = 1 point
26. [PS3][PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 (Action) = 1 point
27. [3DS] Project X Zone (Strategy) = 1 point
28. [360][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Injustice: Gods Among Us (Fighting) = 1 point
29. [PC] Dust: An Elysian Tail (Adventure) = 1 point
30. [360][PS3] Killer Is Dead (Action) = 1 point
31. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Action) = 1 point
32. [3DS][PC] Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Racing) = 1 point
33. [PC] Rogue Legacy (Platform) = 1 point
34. [PS3][PC] Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut (Horror) = 1 point
35. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Batman: Arkham Origins (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
36. [NWU] New Super Luigi U (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
37. [3DS][PC] SteamWorld Dig (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
38. [NWU][3DS] Sonic Lost World (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
39. [PC] Papers, Please (Simulation) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
40. [PC] Volgarr the Viking (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

My recommendation list. I will definitely check these out. I do own a handful of them but haven't gotten a chance to play them. There were a few other indie games that caught my eye in the voting thread that I will check out as well.

My affinity doesn't seem as close as I thought it would be. I am more in line with the overall awards than anyone else. My top 5 is the same just a slightly different order.

btkadams

i actually own 15 of the 31 recommended games. i'll have to check some of the others out.

my post:
20% Multi, 40% Nintendo, 40% Sony
1. The Last of Us - 4 points
2. Tearaway - 3 points
3. Pokemon X/Y - 3 points
4. Super Mario 3D World - 2 points
5. Killzone: Shadow Fall - 2 points
6. Grand Theft Auto V - 2 points
7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 1 point
8. Fire Emblem Awakening - 1 point
9. Guacamelee! - 1 point
10. Killzone: Mercenary - 1 point
x. Puppeteer

my affinity:
1. aly (139)
2. polyh3dron (122)
3. jyoung188 (103)
3. Snipes424 (103)
5. Pappasman (101)
6. megalowho (100)
7. saveweyard (99)
8. C.Olimar788 (98)
8. Mr. Pointy (98)
10. James Sawyer Ford (97)

recommendations:
1. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 12 points
2. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [NWU] The Wonderful 101 (Action) = 6 points
4. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Adventure) = 6 points
5. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (RPG) = 5 points
7. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (Racing) = 4 points
8. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Adventure) = 4 points
9. [NWU] Pikmin 3 (Strategy) = 4 points
10. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
11. [NWU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Adventure) = 3 points
12. [PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (RPG) = 3 points
13. [PS3][PC] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (MMO) = 3 points
14. [NWU][3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Adventure) = 3 points
15. [PS3] Beyond: Two Souls (Adventure) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
16. [PS3][PSV][PC] Spelunky (Platform) = 2 points
17. [360][PS3][PC] Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (FPS) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
18. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
19. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Simulation) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
20. [PSV] Muramasa Rebirth (Adventure) = 1 point
21. [PS3] God of War: Ascension (Action) = 1 point
22. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Horror) = 1 point
23. [PS4] Resogun (Shooter) = 1 point
24. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (RPG) = 1 point
25. [PC] Papers, Please (Simulation) = 1 point
26. [PC] Europa Universalis IV (Strategy) = 1 point
27. [360][PS3][PC] DmC: Devil May Cry (Action) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions
28. [PC] Gunpoint (Puzzle) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
29. [3DS][PC] SteamWorld Dig (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
30. [360][PS3][PC] Saints Row IV (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
31. [PC] The Swapper (Puzzle) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

It would be interesting if everyone went through their recommendations with an honest and open mind and then reported back their results in another thread before the end of 2014.

In the interest of time, just the games you haven't played, obviously.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Some of these are very surprising. It makes me wonder if there is a way to weight values of all games on according to how many (of all titles) an individual has actually played, as obviously a list like this becomes more of a popularity vote than anything. It seems logical that I would more greatly value the opinion of someone who chooses Bioshock as their GOTY when they have played TLoU, SM3DW, ALBW, Papers Please, and Bioshock over another who has only played TLoU.

For example (and please don't read into any bias here - just an example), but there are many more PS3 owners then WiiU owners so many more will pick TLoU or Bioshock as their GOTY year, without ever trying anything else such as SM3DW or Pikmin3. The same could be said of Metal Gear Rising and W101.

I personally abstained from voting because of this. I have not been able to play TLoU but have played Super Mario 3D World. TLoU sounds amazing from what I hear from those who were touched by it, but it also sounds generic (yet again more zombies, post-apocalyptic, third-person shooting, surrogate father-daughter relationship etc.). Until I can play TLoU, or the fresh sounding Papers Please, Gone Home, or Stanley Parable titles the decision of which "is the best" just doesn't right to make; but perhaps I am just overthinking this.

My only excuse is that I love having these lists put together for me and couldn't control myself long enough to not post the whole damn thing with comments :p I suppose it is spammy to post something you don't honestly think most people care to read.

It would be interesting if everyone went through their recommendations with an honest and open mind and then reported back their results in another thread before the end of 2014.

In the interest of time, just the games you haven't played, obviously.

I'm pretty happy with most of my list, was kinda thinking about making a "recommendations backlog" thread.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Some of these are very surprising. It makes me wonder if there is a way to weight values of all games on according to how many (of all titles) an individual has actually played, as obviously a list like this becomes more of a popularity vote than anything. It seems logical that I would more greatly value the opinion of someone who chooses Bioshock as their GOTY when they have played TLoU, SM3DW, ALBW, Papers Please, and Bioshock over another who has only played TLoU.

For example (and please don't read into any bias here - just an example), but there are many more PS3 owners then WiiU owners so many more will pick TLoU or Bioshock as their GOTY year, without ever trying anything else such aa SM3DW or Pikmin3. The same could be said of Metal Gear Rising and W101.

I personally abstained from voting because of this. I have not been able to play TLoU but have played Super Mario 3D World. TLoU sounds amazing from what I hear from those who were touched by it, but it also sounds generic (yet again more zombies, post-apocalyptic, third-person shooting, surrogate father-daughter relationship etc.). Until I can play TLoU, or the fresh sounding Papers Please, Gone Home, or Stanley Parable titles the decision just doesn't right to make; but perhaps I just overthinking this.

This would be a fantastic kind of stat for the future. I would love to see from others who have played a huge variety of games. I have played practically everything you mentioned (except Pikmin 3 which is #1 in my recommendation list :) ), I still thought TLOU was the best.

My only excuse is that I love having these lists put together for me and couldn't control myself long enough to not post the whole damn thing with comments :p I suppose it is spammy to post something you don't honestly think most people care to read.

I, for one, am interested in reading reactions to recommendation lists.

Affinity lists posted verbatim? Not so much. It's all right there in the document.

This would be a fantastic kind of stat for the future. I would love to see from others who have played a huge variety of games. I have played practically everything you mentioned (except Pikmin 3 which is #1 in my recommendation list :) ), I still thought TLOU was the best.

That is great. I need to borrow a PS3 :)

The more I think about it I think it could easily be done by filling out a list of all games and attaching a number value between 0 and 10, where a n/a or a negative number means you haven't played it. The number of "n/a" would reduce the values you chose for all other games by an amount proportional to how many you did not play. It might have to be a more convoluted and secret algorithm so it could not be gamed though people could just lie about which games they played ... Suggestions?

One very simple example:

Sample GAF chosen List of GOTY Contenders:
The Last of Us - 9.8
Bioshock - 7.8
Metal Gear Rising - 5.6
Gone Home - n/a
Papers Please - n/a
Super Mario 3D World - n/a

So Since this person did not play half of the games their scores would be multiplied by 3/6=0.5 so that, for example, the value that would be added to TLoU totals would be a 9.8*0.5=4.9 instead if a 9.8 of someone who played all GOTY games. To Bioshock totals the value to be added would be 5.6*0.5 =2.8.

Banned
What? What did I do? Why does my name have a number next to it? What is going on here -_-

Top Bottom