• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2013 Awards

Oneself

I just played and finished Rain yesterday. I should have played earlier because it deserves more praise IMO. Sorry Rain, I failed you.

tino

Banned
BioShock's voter average score is not very high. It simply got to 2nd place because it has a PC port and went Steam fire sale before the end of year. If you pay 10/20 for a game you are alot more forgiving to its faults.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1 vote from Dota 2 as #11

Also:
High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance
01. The Last of Us (3.29)
02. Dota 2 (3.11)

So basically Dota 2 is like LOGH

spekkeh

Banned
All of those are merely decent games bar Dishonored, which in my opinion was garbage.

Sleeping Dogs was great fun I thought (though no GOTY material, so I can see why you'd call it decent). Very much agree with your other appraisals.

MormaPope

Banned
BioShock's voter average score is not very high. It simply got to 2nd place because it has a PC port and went Steam fire sale before the end of year. If you pay 10/20 for a game you are alot more forgiving to its faults.

So "genuine" games on the list must not be ported to PC and must not be put on sale. People are more forgiving the less something costs? Complete bullshit. Free to play games get trashed all the time, and sometimes for good reason. I paid $15 for Neverdead and hated myself for doing so.

You can twist that argument the other way, the more someone pays for something the more forgiving they are, since they put a larger investment into something. That line of thinking is straight up dookie.

Jonboy

First year I've been able to participate in this. Not sure who all to thank, but this was an awesome job by everyone involved. Appreciate the time and effort it took to compile this information. Stats in the OP are excellent. Fabulous breakdown and explanation of all the stats. Look forward to it again next year!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks timetokill and Cheesemeister for your hard work in doing this. I enjoy checking out all kinds of stats, pretty interesting.

0328_ceu1a.gif

it had to be done
Haha, beautiful. Congrats Naughty Dog!

I don't see Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate anywhere. GAF has no taste confirmed.
Ctrl + f it dude, it's in the high quality list. I might have put it if I had a Wii U, since I really enjoyed MH3 on the Wii, but... like many people, I don't have a Wii U, and I'm not going to get one just for an enhanced version of game I already played. At least not yet.

<3 you guys for namedropping Dragon's Crown and Dark Arisen:

Rec list is lol, though. Some comments:
1. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 15 points, 1 honorable mention Yeah, that's not gonna happen. So weird to see that as #1 for me.
2. [PS3][PC] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (MMO) = 8 points lolnope. Never play MMOs, and I haven't liked FF since Tactics.
3. [PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (RPG) = 8 points Tried the demo, liked the Ghibli style but really hate the combat.
4. [3DS] Fire Emblem Awakening (RPG) = 7 points The only rec I'd agree with other than MH3U, I'm genuinely interested in this one. Fire Emblem is usually very solid.
5. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention LOL no. Paint-by-numbers AAA mediocrity.
6. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) = 6 points Mayyyybe. I'll check it out on PS+. Not generally an FPS fan though.
17. [NWU][3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Adventure) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention One of the few recs that apply to me, I really enjoyed MH3 on the Wii.
21. [PS3] Beyond: Two Souls (Adventure) = 2 points HAHAHAHAHA never
I'm generally not interested or indifferent to the rest on that list.

Played most of the games in my recommendations list except for the Wii U exclusives, I really wished Nintendo handled that console differently so I could buy it.

Thoraxes

I feel like I have some weird taste in gaming now, but its kinda expected that my choices will never rank that high.

Also, a bit suprised that I'm only familiar with one person in my affinity list which is ohlawd, was expecting Mauricio_Magus but our list didn't overlap that much outside of a few games.(

These people...

gitF.gif

Homies:

Recognized everyone besides Deactivision, I liked reading through the lists!

nhsSUpv.gif

Sendou

I'm on mobile and can't get my gaming brethren list generated. Could anyone help? Thank you so much in advance.

Sure:

Recommendations:

1. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) = 22 points
2. [360][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 10 points
3. [360][PS3][PC] Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Adventure) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
4. [PC] Rogue Legacy (Platform) = 7 points
5. [360][PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 5 points
6. [360][PS3][PC] Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 5 points
7. [PC] Papers, Please (Simulation) = 5 points
8. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
9. [360][PS3][PC] Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (FPS) = 4 points
10. [PSV] Ys: Memories of Celceta (RPG) = 3 points
11. [PC] Path of Exile (Adventure) = 3 points
12. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Simulation) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
13. [360][PS3][PC] XCOM: Enemy Within (Strategy) = 2 points
14. [360][PS3][PC] Saints Row IV (Adventure) = 2 points
15. [360][PS3][PC] Metro: Last Light (FPS) = 2 points
16. [360][PS3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Adventure) = 2 points
17. [PC] Gunpoint (Puzzle) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
18. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
19. [360][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Injustice: Gods Among Us (Fighting) = 1 point
20. [PSV] Killzone: Mercenary (FPS) = 1 point

Mononoke

Banned

I was surprised by its 2nd place spot too. A lot Gaffers (including myself), thought the game had poor gameplay. And I thought that was a take on the game, that was common here. Still, those that love Infinite, are really passionate about it. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it got the votes it did. But I'm actually happy for their fans.

I might not have loved it, but that, that many voted for it means to those people, it was a one of a kind experience that they really cherished. And that's awesome. I'm happy that others felt the way I did about the Last of Us.

Seeing a few people listed Wonderful 101 that clarified that they hadn't beaten it yet but still felt like it was good enough to be on the list.

Therefore, I am terrified of their mental health when they do the last few hours.

Sendou

Seeing a few people listed Wonderful 101 that clarified that they hadn't beaten it yet but still felt like it was good enough to be on the list.

Therefore, I am terrified of their mental health when they do the last few hours.

Haha yeah damn right.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm glad GAF is out of touch with someone that thinks COD is one of the best games of the year. :p

Fey

Banned
Pokemon X and Why not in the top 10 while LBW, Fire Emblem, and Tearaway are.

mskt8j_zpsfb323382.gif

Makes up for the awful 1st place choice.

EGOMON

Gonna bookmark this thread for future reference, pretty damn good i totally agree with thanks to the hosts and who ever worked on this.

I'm glad GAF is out of touch with someone that thinks COD is one of the best games of the year. :p

Yup, fair enough. I did and still do because it's the most fun I had. Even though it makes me rage sometimes, I still come back. In contrast, I've barely touched AC4 as it makes you go through too much ship fluff at the start. Video games for me will always be about having fun first and foremost.

EDIT: And before detective GAF goes digging up my nominations, I had real trouble creating a list as there simply wasn't many games I enjoyed last year. Every year I become more of a CoD/Madden gamer. :/

Revan

I'm honored that my quote was used for ACIV :)

The game truly was fantastic!

Awesome job all around GAF!

The stats (especially the console exclusivity) were fantastic! Amazing stuff!

Still, those that love Infinite, are really passionate about it. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it got the votes it did. But I'm actually happy for their fans.
But you are right to be surprised because most people that voted for Bioshock are not pationate about it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
DIT: And before detective GAF goes digging up my nominations, I had real trouble creating a list as there simply wasn't many games I enjoyed last year. Every year I become more of a CoD/Madden gamer. :/
At least you voted. Usually people just shit on the votes without voting and giving reasons for their game choices to try to look like cool cats.

I was just surprised when I saw your list, because I expected something other than what I found. A game like The Last of Us or Grand Theft Auto V or Super Mario 3D World would not at all look misplaced on your ballot. :p

Mononoke

Banned
But you are right to be surprised because most people that voted for Bioshock are not pationate about it.

Edit: guess I should have read before replying. I misunderstood the posts people were making about how it got to 2nd place.

I still find that those that love it, are really passionate about it. But that's irrelevant here. My bad!

spekkeh

Banned
Recommendations are pretty good for me, seeing as I actually have played a great deal of them. So as a predictor for what I'm interested in it works.

1. [PS3] The Last of Us (Horror) Really want to play this, hoping Gaikai doesn't wait too long for Europe
2. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite (FPS) Played it, liked it, didn't want to vote for it. I thought the game design worked against the admittedly excellent story. I have severe issues with that and think it should've gotten a lot more stick for that.
3. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Yeah I love Zelda (though less so since SS), but I don't play handheld games
4. [360][PS3][PC] Metro: Last Light (FPS) This is really interesting, I thought it was a dreary FPS, which I burned out on. Should I check it out?
5. [PC] The Stanley Parable (Adventure) Played it, really liked it. Thought it didn't have enough interesting to say though. One trick pony.
6. [PSV] Tearaway (Platform) Don't play handheld
7. [PSV][PC][IOS][AND] Football Manager 2014 (Sports) Interesting, I had a severe New Star Soccer addiction, so I guess I should check this out
8. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Rayman Legends (Platform) Played it. Decent. Not GOTY
9. [NWU] New Super Luigi U (Platform) Nope, don't like NSMB at all
10. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Deus Ex: Human Revolution &#8211; Director&#8217;s Cut (RPG) Played it. Decent. Not GOTY

Love that my quote is used for The Last Of Us, when it actually only came in at #6 on my personal list. I liked the game quite a bit, but I'm far from it's biggest cheerleader. Also, wow at Tomb Raider cracking the top ten. Always seemed like GAF hated that game with a passion.

Mushroomer25

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wow, thanks for the Cook, Serve, Delicious votes! That's awesome! :D

Guess I need to update this guy.

YsVVFxB.png

I would have put it in my top 10 but I wasn't sure if it qualified because I played it on PC and there were pretty strict rules about how to count release dates :( :( I did write up about it though!

Top Bottom