• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

RoKKeR

Looks like a pretty solid list to me. Happy Inside snuck into the top 10.

Thanks as always for putting this together OP and others!

Ushay

These lists have brought my attention to Oxenfree and Firewatch, after playing INSIDE I've developed a real appreciation for these smaller more focused titles.

Davide

YES! Uncharted 4 was the only game that deserved it. Wasn't a great year for gaming. Although I didn't play The Last Guardian, which was definitely at a disadvantage coming so late.

GAF got it wrong last year putting Bloodborne over TW3.

Lifeline

OK

O8gZJA0.png

Awesome, thanks. The difference with Uncharted 2 is massive compared to the original.

KodaRuss

Some really really tough competition this year imo. Lots of different games/genres with some true gems.

2017 is looks damn strong early as well.

Seeing Gears 4 not in the top 20:

_Ac4xq.gif

At least it got voted Shooter of the Year so I'll take it. Overall though it's a nice, varied list of great games.

The Last Guardian making #5 is kinda shocking considering the amount of loud people who disliked it. Glad to see Titanfall 2 and The Witness in the top 10 but I still think they both deserve better. I have problems with the amount of GOTY awards Uncharted 4 is getting but I can't say I wasn't expecting it.

Resident Evil 4 winning horror GOTY is both funny and sad. A least we are getting a couple good looking horror games this year.

SaitoH

I'm genuinely surprised that overwatch wasn't number 1. I assumed the top 3 were going to be overwatch/ uncharted/ Doom.

I'm a huge uncharted fan but overwatch pushed it back to number 3 for me. Anyhow, great list as usual, GAF!

Vaeghar

Neo Member
Cool Kids:

Recommendations:

1. [XB1][PS4] Doom (FPS) = 19 points
2. [XB1][PS4] Final Fantasy XV (RPG) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Adventure) = 8 points

4. [XB1][PS4] Dark Souls III (RPG) = 8 points
5. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witness (Puzzle) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [XB1][PS4] Hitman (Action) = 5 points
7. [PS4] The Last Guardian (Adventure) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention

8. [PS4][PC] Street Fighter V (Fighting) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
9. [XB1][PS4] Hyper Light Drifter (Adventure) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
10. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (Adventure) = 3 points
11. [PC] VA-11 HALL-A (Adventure) = 3 points
12. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates (Strategy) = 3 points

13. [XB1][PS4] Inside (Adventure) = 3 points
14. [XB1][PC] Superhot (FPS) = 3 points
15. [NWU] Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (RPG) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
16. [3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon (RPG) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
17. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (RPG) = 2 points
18. [PC] Stellaris (Strategy) = 2 points
19. [XB1][PS4][PC] Headlander (Adventure) = 2 points
20. [XB1][PS4][PC] Furi (Shooter) = 2 points
21. [PS4][PC] Rise of the Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 2 points
22. [XB1][PS4] XCOM 2 (Strategy) = 2 points
23. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Jackbox Party Pack 3 (Puzzle) = 2 points
24. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (RPG) = 1 point
25. [PC][OVR] Obduction (Puzzle) = 1 point
26. [PC] Tyranny (RPG) = 1 point
27. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Rigs: Mechanized Combat League (FPS) = 1 point
28. [PSV][PS4] Darkest Dungeon (Strategy) = 1 point
29. [PC][IOS] Hearthstone: Whispers of the Old Gods (Strategy) = 1 point
30. [PC] Starbound (Adventure) = 1 point1 point

* Owned but haven't played yet.
* Want to play eventually.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just noticed World of Final Fantasy not even in the top 10 RPG list. Was that bad or just kinda mediocre? Never heard much post launch with XV stealing the spotlight. Not really a well timed release.

More like not that many people played it in GAF and is going against a lot of great games that year, same with Odin Sphere.

entremet

Uncharted 4 is gotta be the safest and most boring pick honestly.

Decent game, but really didn't do anything new. I love the series and found it pretty lackluster due to poor pacing, horrible sidekick, and excessive traversal.

It's basically a checklist of how to win GOTYs. The games media laps up these types of games. Been like that for the last 7 years mostly.

Kill3r7

Seeing Gears 4 not in the top 20:

_Ac4xq.gif

At least it got voted Shooter of the Year so I'll take it. Overall though it's a nice, varied list of great games.

To be fair, Gears was not even the best XB1 game, FH3 was. Speaking of which, how did I if not make Top20? One of the best rated games of the year and arguably the best racing game this gen. I guess it speaks volumes about the genre's popularity.

Two years in a row my game comes second

Still, happy to see what was looking like a train wreck a year ago receive recognition and maybe this isn't the last we'll see of the merry marine.

Overwatch at 3 very nice

I just the GOTY won't always be the big PS exclusive, not out of rabid fanboyism but more desire to see some diversity

Wichu

What I've learned from these results: I should get a PS4. Also I should actually start The Witness.

High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance (### = Average points per vote)

1. The House in Fata Morgana (3.666667)

Yesss. Good job 11 other people who put it on their lists!

EDIT: not specifically a complaint with GAF's awards, but what's up with the complete non-descriptiveness of the "adventure" label? How on Earth did Uncharted 4, Ace Attorney, Watch_Dogs, Hyper Light Drifter, and Oxenfree all get lumped together in the same genre?

Just noticed World of Final Fantasy not even in the top 10 RPG list. Was that bad or just kinda mediocre? Never heard much post launch with XV stealing the spotlight. Not really a well timed release.

It was easily some of the most fun I had with a game this year (plus dat localization and Hamauzu soundtrack), but it's definitely an odd ball game, I get why it slipped under the radar. It's kind of got that Muppets thing going on, where you've got the younger visual appeal whilst still doing a ton of jokes for the adults. I loved the freedom in customizing abilities/mirages/mirage transforming/element resistance stacking, and it was surprisingly addictive.

Milijango

R&C was my #2 pick for the entire year, the formula is flawless. Why is it a surprise that it's high?

Not complaining. I just didn't hear a peep from that game's fans all year.

Certainly not to the degree that I heard about Blood & Wine, Pokemon, Deus Ex, Dishonored, Stardew, XCOM, Battlefield, and Firewatch. It beat all of them. Of those I only played Pokemon so I can't say if it's justified, but it is a surprise.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd say why people's X games are not in the top 20 are a mix of these two factors:

- There are a lot of strong and good games last year, so competition was tough
- Not much people in GAF played it and the cult following isn't as strong

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
For shits, here's the VR list (filtered on HTC, OVR, PSVR):

52. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Rez Infinite (Rhythm) = 83 points, 5 honorable mentions
66. [PS4][PSVR] Batman: Arkham VR (Adventure) = 57 points, 2 honorable mentions
103. [PC][OVR] Obduction (Puzzle) = 25 points, 2 honorable mentions
119. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Rigs: Mechanized Combat League (FPS) = 17 points
123. [PS4][PSVR] PlayStation VR Worlds (Action) = 16 points
128. [PC][OVR][HTC] The Lab (Action) = 15 points, 1 honorable mention
163. [PC][HTC] Audioshield (Rhythm) = 10 points
164. [PS4][PSVR] The Playroom VR (Action) = 9 points, 4 honorable mentions
170. [PS4][PSVR][NWU][PC] Job Simulator (Simulation) = 9 points
201. [NWU][PC][OVR] Chronos (RPG) = 6 points
224. [PS4][PSVR] Tethered (Strategy) = 5 points
286. [PS4][PSVR][NWU][PC] Eagle Flight (Simulation) = 3 points
292. [PS4][PSVR] Driveclub VR (Racing) = 3 points
292. [PS4][PSVR] Star Wars Battlefront: Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission (FPS) = 3 points
309. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Super Hypercube (Puzzle) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
324. [PS4][PSVR] Harmonix Music VR (Rhythm) = 2 points
336. [PC][HTC] Vanishing Realms (RPG) = 2 points
353. [PS4][PSVR][NWU][PC][OVR][HTC] Eve: Valkyrie (FPS) = 2 points
357. [PS4][PSVR] Headmaster (Sports) = 2 points
360. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Wayward Sky (Action) = 2 points
366. [PC][OVR][HTC] Arizona Sunshine (Action) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
382. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] 100 ft. Robot Golf (Sports) = 1 point
399. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] London Heist Getaway (FPS) = 1 point
399. [NWU][PC][OVR] Lucky's Tale (Platform) = 1 point
429. [PC][HTC] Holopoint (FPS) = 1 point
446. [PC][OVR][HTC] The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

You can feel the lack of Early Access games.

It's missing thumper

Toki767

Uncharted 4 is gotta be the safest and most boring pick honestly.

Decent game, but really didn't do anything new. I love the series and found it pretty lackluster due to poor pacing, horrible sidekick, and excessive traversal.

It's basically a checklist of how to win GOTYs. The games media laps up these types of games. Been like that for the last 7 years mostly.

So uh...what game did something new?

Top Bottom