• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Greatest Action Movies of All Time (September 2015) - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terminator 2 over 3 is a fucking travesty.

e2kDCQM.gif

Camwi

Bummer, I didn't know there was a voting thread. Fury Road would've gotten another #1 vote from me, though it looks like it wouldn't have mattered.

The top 5 are all the same movies in my top 5, though they'd be in a different order.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Die Hard
3. Terminator 2
4. Aliens
5. The Matrix

Tansut

The top three are perfect.

Also, is The Good, The Bad, and The Weird really that good? It always looked kinda interesting to me but never enough to warrant a wathch.

Raiders isnt a action movie.

He punches like 100 nazis in that movie and jumps on cars and shit

You guys are being way too constraining. A good majority of blockbusters or summer movies can be called action movies

Edit; the good bad and weird rocks man. It's such a fun and energetic action/western

Bobby, don't my action movie need violence?

There's tons of fucking violence in the Indy Jones movies.

Raiders features a guy getting chopped up by a plane at the end of a fistfight, to point at one of the less-memorable examples.

Again: I really do think, having lived through the weird splitting of the genre, and the relative (gleeful, willful) devaluing of the "action" term when it comes to film, that the idea there's a solid difference between what an "action" and an "action/adventure" movie is? Is not much more than the kind of hair-splitting that causes people to argue that there's a difference between "Rap" and "Hip-Hop."

There isn't. But people have their reasons for wanting there to be, and they choose to push that even if they don't really catch what they're doing and why they're doing it.

number47

Raiders features a guy getting chopped up by a plane at the end of a fistfight, to point at one of the less-memorable examples.

Again: I really do think, having lived through the weird splitting of the genre, and the relative (gleeful, willful) devaluing of the "action" term when it comes to film, that the idea there's a solid difference between what an "action" and an "action/adventure" movie is? Is not much more than the kind of hair-splitting that causes people to argue that there's a difference between "Rap" and "Hip-Hop."

There isn't. But people have their reasons for wanting there to be, and they choose to push that even if they don't really catch what they're doing and why they're doing it.
No need to respond to this in particular ((.but I always thought rap was pop Hip hop. While HIP hop is some story, most of the time without a chorus. )) Action (crazy) adventure (somber) hm....lotr .fantasy adventure. Aliens sci Fi action?

I'm really surprised that I was the only one that voted for Escape From New York especially considering Big Trouble in Little China managed to get 25 points. Assault on Precinct 13 also only got 2 points. Do people really prefer Big Trouble to Assault and Escape?

I love Carpenter as much as possible but i would never classify those as action. I imagine that might be what more people think. On the other hand there's a lot of movies in this list that i don't consider an action movie so perhaps i'm wrong.

An action movie , to me , is a film centered in its action spectacle. In its action sets , events , etc. It's not one where the narrative interweaves with some action set-pieces. It might seem a fine line , but it's very easy to discern. A great example is The Matrix vs Matrix Reloaded.

I honestly didn't know my opinion on Terminator 3 was considered odd. Wasn't trying to be edgy I really enjoyed the movie, but that may be in part that I remembered it more than Terminator 2 due to seeing it more recently.

Blader

What makes this post hilarious is that (going off of the voting list) Inception didn't even place
Inception is among my favorite movies of the decade but I didn't vote for it. Didn't really seem like it was in the same vein as the full-on action movies being voted in. Same with Star Wars and basically every western.

Firemind

I honestly didn't know my opinion on Terminator 3 was considered odd. Wasn't trying to be edgy I really enjoyed the movie, but that may be in part that I remembered it more than Terminator 2 due to seeing it more recently.
I mean, James Cameron and Arnie in his prime vs. no Cameron and an aged Arnie.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

can you explain why something like star wars would not qualify as an action movie? i am only asking because i assume you would vote for one of the star wars movies if you considered them action movies.

KevinCow

Banned
Yeah, I really don't get the love for Mad Max. It was enjoyable, but I didn't walk out of the theater saying, "OH MY GOD THAT WAS ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER!!!" like many of you guys apparently did.

Other than that, a pretty predictable top 10.

Also, I find it weird that Indiana Jones made the list but nobody voted for Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Was there a clause that I missed sci-fi and fantasy didn't count? Wait, that couldn't be, because then you wouldn't have Aliens up there. So why didn't anybody vote for these?

An action movie , to me , is a film centered in its action spectacle. In its action sets , events , etc. It's not one where the narrative interweaves with some action set-pieces.

But almost the entirety of that top ten are films where the narrative absolutely is forwarded and weaved into the action set pieces. They're not just boss-fights - characters are developed through the action itself in all those movies. It's likely part of the reason they're considered to be top 10.

Hell, look at Robocop. It's not like the set-pieces in that film are particularly good, or even memorable. The most memorable action sequences in that film include a stationary robot shooting a stationary man for 30 seconds, and a stationary gang shooting a stationary cop for another 15. But it's the way the story is told through Murphy's action that I think elevates it for a lot of people.

(That and the satire, of course)

can you explain why something like star wars would not qualify as an action movie? i am only asking because i assume you would vote for one of the star wars movies if you considered them action movies.

I think it qualifies, absolutely. I wouldn't put any of the Star Wars movies in my top 20, though (just like I didn't place any superhero movies, either). Not based on their action. Although if there was a "Top 20 Action Set-Pieces of All Time" poll, I'd probably stick the dogfight outside of Death Star II in there somewhere. Maybe the podrace, too.

To clarify - I'm not saying genres need to be rigidly separated, and there can't be crossovers. You can absolutely have fantasy/action, sci-fi/action, action/comedy, so on and so forth. I'm just arguing against the idea that "Action/Adventure" is somehow a blending of two separate genres after-the-fact, when it's actually the origin genre here.

Yeah, it's definitely splitting hairs. I think I've talked about it before (because lord fuckin' knows I love a semantics debate) but a lot of people don't really realize that "Action Movie" is really just short for "Action/Adventure" movie. Before the late 80s, there wasn't really a separate conception of "action" and "Adventure" within the genre. Action/Adventure was just what it was called. And then after a glut of Schwarzenegger and Schwarzenegger knockoffs started hitting shelves, people began to segregate the two much more cleanly, when they didn't really need to. And at some point in the late 90s, it was pretty much done: There was now a big wall between "Action" and "Adventure"

If anything, it's the film equivalent of people who try to say "rap" is differen't than "hip-hop."

I mean, I get it, and don't necessarily disagree, but you're skipping over a bit the legacy and influence of HK movies from the 60s and 70s which for the most part had nothing to do with western action/adventure and have more in common with the later "action" movies, whatwith sparking the martial arts craze. Before that, fighting was mainly just trading punches/throwing heavy things at each other (which is largely what Indy is) vs. just detailed choreography (with or without actual martial arts). There may not have been a wall before, but there definitely is now. A good portion of the same audience would have likely seen Raiders and Commando. I don't think you can say the same for Pirates of the Caribbean and John Wick.

I'm really surprised that I was the only one that voted for Escape From New York especially considering Big Trouble in Little China managed to get 25 points. Assault on Precinct 13 also only got 2 points. Do people really prefer Big Trouble to Assault and Escape?

Also no votes for The Warriors or any other film by Walter Hill (Southern Comfort, Long Riders, 48 Hrs., The Driver...).

I would just say more people have seen Big Trouble over the other two. And I love Escape from New York, but overall it's far too slow and plainly there's just not enough death, especially when compared to its contemporaries.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
To clarify - I'm not saying genres need to be rigidly separated, and there can't be crossovers. You can absolutely have fantasy/action, sci-fi/action, action/comedy, so on and so forth. I'm just arguing against the idea that "Action/Adventure" is somehow a blending of two separate genres after-the-fact, when it's actually the origin genre here.

that's probably why so many people left raiders off their lists. while i love raiders more than any movie in the top 10 and i don't consider its action lacking, i would still watch something else if i am in the mood for an action movie. something that emphasizes the action rather than the adventure, like die hard.

No doubt.

I mean, as a Lore Expert, I'm familiar with the ways definitions of things can slide around and be made malleable. Even though I might not necessarily agree with the means by which those definitions are getting stretched and reshaped. I can point that shit out all I want, but that's not going to change the way things are now conventionally percieved. At least not on any notable scale.

Die Hard, Robocop, and Predator are in my top 10 films of all time, regardless of genre. I guess I should get around to watching The Raid films at some point. I think Lethal Weapon is far too low, as it's probably the best action buddy cop movie ever made, not to mention a hell of a good Christmas flick as well.

But almost the entirety of that top ten are films where the narrative absolutely is forwarded and weaved into the action set pieces. They're not just boss-fights - characters are developed through the action itself in all those movies. It's likely part of the reason they're considered to be top 10.

Hell, look at Robocop. It's not like the set-pieces in that film are particularly good, or even memorable. The most memorable action sequences in that film include a stationary robot shooting a stationary man for 30 seconds, and a stationary gang shooting a stationary cop for another 15. But it's the way the story is told through Murphy's action that I think elevates it for a lot of people.

(That and the satire, of course)

Robocop is a great example because i thought a little bit how and why should i insert it. And after thinking it through , i didn't. The action in the film is naturally relevant (and somewhat organic) , but its execution is not particularly great. It's a fabulous film. A great action movie ? I can't say that. It's a sci fi with action elements in it.

For instance Police Story. When Jackie was able to conceive Police Story (a film which by the way doesn't have as much action as one would suppose) he thought about a movie within a certain context (cops , criminals , hk , etc) and he created and composed action set pieces. Not the script , not the characters , the action. The foundation was action events. He then glued some half-baked story , with random characters that would populate the cenario he built. You watch those absolutely brilliant action set pieces and that is the film. Everything is centered around it.It also has lots of comedy. But it isn't a comedy. To me , its just an action movie with comedy. A brilliant one.

Interesting to note that Hard Boiled is the only film in the top 10 that isn't part of a franchise (unless you count the Stranglehold video game).

That's a great catch.

Eh, Jackie Chan movies getting relegated to the 11-20 spot is awful as far as I'm concerned, and I've never been a huge fan of James Cameron's movies, but I know that's just me and I can't say it's a bad list in spite of that.

Monocle

The Mad Max whiners are out in full force today. This is why we can't have nice things.

In a decade it'll still be considered a classic. Anyone can quote me on that.

Ultima_5

While i like most of the movies on that list, there's a fuck ton of missing jackie chan stuff. you guys. come on

also while i really liked mad max, it's to recent. i don't think that one will be looked back at very fondly. i don't feel like it has much staying power

Firemind

Eh, Jackie Chan movies getting relegated to the 11-20 spot is awful as far as I'm concerned, and I've never been a huge fan of James Cameron's movies, but I know that's just me and I can't say it's a bad list in spite of that.
Yeah, I think Cameron is a bit overrated myself. He does great work of course, but he also usually has a lot of budget to work with. Just compare Die Hard to Terminator 2: 28 million vs. 100 million. McTiernan is THE Hollywood action director in my opinion. I also prefer Alien over Aliens, but that's another story.

As for Jackie Chan, I watched them when I was little, but unfortunately I don't remember much about them anymore except that his choreography was always out of the box. He also does all the stuntwork himself which is amazing. I should really find a copy of Drunken Master 1/2 and watch it again.

The Mad Max whiners are out in full force today. This is why we can't have nice things.

In a decade it'll still be considered a classic. Anyone can quote me on that.

Seriously. Hyperbole culture has made people so reluctant to admit when something is actually an instant classic.

I have never even heard of Hard Boiled.

You should fix this asap. There are very few shootouts in all of film that can compare to the ones in Hard Boiled.

I would say any genre of movie that has a good amount of action, eligible for this list.

So sci fi actions like predator and Aliens, and adventure movies like raiders in the lost ark are all good to me as action movies.

With that said, excellent list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom