• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Learns to cook - Let's share recipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Chilli King Prawn & Chorizo Linguine

PJFWFgq.jpg
Ingredients
-Garlic (3-4 cloves)
-Chilli (1 long piece, take the seeds out)
-Chorizo (70-100grams)
-Olive Oil
-Passata (Tomato Juice)
-Basil
-Prawns
-Salt & Pepper
-Lemon juice
-Linguine (3 portions)
-Spring Onions and chilli for garnishing

Recipe
-Prep the ingredients
-Start boiling the linguine (maybe further down the line if you aren't good at timing, you don't want it to go cold)
-Pour the olive oil in a pan (4-5 tablespoons)
-Dice the garlic, chilli and Chorizo in to small pieces and gently fry for 3 minutes on a low heat. The chorizo can be added first if you wish to crisp it up.
-Add the prawns and cook
-Add the Passata
-Add Basil and a little bit of salt and pepper
-Squeeze in some lemon juice in to the sauce
-Taste test and add more passata, or other seasonings to taste
-Mix in the Linguine/Spaghetti
-Garnish with spring onions and fresh chilli (I keep the seeds in)

Fin~

Hope everyone enjoys it :)

Will write some more recipe's later and can help others if they want to know some tips. Even if you don't know how to cook I made this page so people can learn and ask me and others about the basic things. It's never too late to learn to eat healthy and fresh things. :)

Also share some of your favourite recipe's with me so I can learn them too!

Einbroch

Banned
Gujarati Carrot and Peanut Salad

DSCN4090.jpg

Cost: <$5.
Time: <10 minutes to make, let sit for a few hours.
Serves: However many you want. I make a big batch.
Skill Level: Scrub. Like, it's impossible to mess up.
Flavour traits: Cilantro warning. Don't like cilantro? Won't like this. Indian.
Nutrition notes: Healthy, fresh, all natural.
Ingredients: Carrots, cilantro, peanuts, lemon juice, salt.

I don't add the sugar. Carrots have enough sugar as is.

Go_Ly_Dow

^^ woh that looks great. Cheap too. Might give that a go!

and maxcriden it's really easy to make!

Make it and post a pic ;)

Mastadon

Banned
Great idea for a thread!

NzaJfia.jpg

Cost: Low
Time: ~20 minutes
Serves: 3-4
Skill Level: Novice
Flavour traits: Creamy, delicious
Nutritional info: Low in calories, reasonably high protein.

Ingredients:

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 300g of Wild Mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire Source
  • 1 tbsp Paprika
  • 150ml vegetable or beef stock
  • 3 tbsp sour cream
  • Chopped parsley
  • Wild rice, to serve

Method:

Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the paprika and garlic and stir it all together and cook for another minute or so. Turn up the heat and add the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.

Add the stock and Worcester sauce and boil off for 4-5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the sour cream and parsley. Serve with wild rice and crusty bread.

Such a cheap, quick and awesome midweek dinner.

This thread reminds me that I should really start writing my recipes down. I typically just wing it and do things to taste, which makes it hard to recall measurements after the fact.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
lol... I was sitting here trying to think of things to make for dinner tonight and I see this thread. My girlfriend is allergic to prawns and peanuts and she hates mushrooms.

Stuart444

Uhh... When you guys say heat the oil, how long for? Since there is no time listed.

Also subbing to this thread. I'm not just looking for things to learn to cook but also new food to try :)

Go_Ly_Dow

Uhh... When you guys say heat the oil, how long for? Since there is no time listed.

Also subbing to this thread. I'm not just looking for things to learn to cook but also new food to try :)

i just put it under a moderate heat for around 1-2 mins and then test it by putting in a smidge of food in the pan. if it sizzles then it's hot enough.

edit: if it smokes then remove from heat for 1 min. it's too hot

MEATLESS LASAGNA
(I don't currently have a picture. I'll take one next time I cook it)

Cost: ~$10-15, assuming you have the Parsley and Oregano already
Time: 1 1/2 hours
Serves: 8
Skill Level: Easy/Intermediate
Flavour traits: Creamy, Cheesy, Sweet
Nutritional info: It's probably not good for you.

Ingredients
(2) Cups Ricotta Cheese
(1) Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
(3 1/2) Tablespoons Parsley
(2) 28 oz jars of Tomato Sauce. I use a sweet Marinara sauce. I like sweet sauce.
(1 1/2) Teaspoons Oregano
(12) Lasagna Noodles, cooked
(2) Cups Shredded Mozarella

Cooking Guide

This stuff is Stouffers awesome, let me tell ya. I love it, and it cooks faster than Stouffers. Also, if you want to add meat to it, I'll note where.

-Preheat oven to 350.
-Mix together the Ricotta, Oregano, Parsley, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan in a bowl. This is the core sauce and makes it so good. You can use Cottage Cheese instead, but I don't like its consistency compared to Ricotta.

-Get a normal sized rectangular pan. I think the dimensions are 13"x9"x2".
-Spread 2 cups of tomato/marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan.
-Put 4 noodles on top of the sauce, spread out as evenly as you can.
-Spread the Ricotta sauce on top of the noodles.
-Spread 2 more cups of tomato/marinara sauce on top of the Ricotta.
-Put another 4-noodle layer on top.
-Spread 2 more cups of tomato/marinara sauce. <-- If you want meat, this is the layer you'd add it to.
-Put the last 4-noodle layer on top.
-Add the Mozarella, then the last of the sauce, then top with the rest of the Parmesan.

-Cover with foil & bake for 30 minutes.
-Uncover & bake 30 more minutes.
-Take it out and let it stand for about 10-15 minutes. Cut and enjoy!

This lasagna is seriously amazing.

Chris R

i just put it under a moderate heat for around 1-2 mins and then test it by putting in a smidge of food in the pan. if it sizzles then it's hot enough.

If you see smoke the oil is too hot.

Don't cook with burnt oil, it makes things taste bad.

Mastadon

Banned
I guess if it's of help to anyone I could post a link to my old cooking blog, which was all about trying to provide simple, delicious and cheap recipes with step-by-step pictorial instructions:

http://beachcitycooking.blogspot.com/

The blog archive drop-down menu on the right side is the best bet for navigating the site.

Just to highlight one post, this recipe is delicious and easy to make:

Looks great. I tried salt baking fish a while ago and it went horribly wrong. Really need to give it another go.

BFIB

Subbing!

Here's what I made last night:

Mexican Casserole

Ingredients:

1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
1 can kernel corn drained
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 pkg taco seasonings mix
8 to 12 corn tortillas
3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
2 cans rotel tomatoes with green chiles drained
1/3 cup Mexican blend or taco cheese shredded
Sliced jalapeno peppers

Directions:

Brown ground beef and onions together for about 10 to 12 minutes, drain.
Add corn,beans,tomatoes and taco seasonings mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
Spray baking dish 2 quart 8x12 inches.
Place half of tortillas in bottom.
Spoon half of beef mixture on top, place sour cream over beef. Then layer last tortillas and then beef mixture.
Place in heated 350 degree F. oven and bake for 25 minutes remove from oven and and sprinkle with cheese and add sliced jalapeno peppers on top.
Cook for another 5 minutes or till cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.

I have this weird thing about recipes where I just read a bunch of other people's recipes to get the idea of how to make it and wing it from there.

Thus I have no real recipes written down and sometimes have to reread other recipes as a reminder.

Will still try to contribute regardless at some point.

Edit: This might be a good excuse to make some Thai-style curry. Hmmm....

Mully

Lettuce Wrapped Sriracha Mayo Burgers

Servings: 2
Cook/Prep Time: 10 Minutes total.

Stolen from Google because I ate all of it right before I saw this thread. Not what it actually looks like, but close enough:
IMG_3805.JPG

Need:
2 X 1/4 (4oz) Ground Turkey Patties
2 X Tbsp Mayo
3 X Tbsp Sriracha
2 X Slice of Tomato
1/4 X Cup of Chopped Parsley (for aesthetics)
Lettuce

Step 1:
Heat grill to about 400 degrees.

Step 2:
Either defrost your pre-portioned patties or correctly weigh your ground turkey on a food scale. Using a plate, press down on ground turkey, to create a patty.

Step 3:
Put mayo and sriracha in bowl. Mix together with spoon. Add parsley for aesthetics and texture.

Step 4:
Slice tomato in 1/4 inch sections.

Step 5:
Put patties on grill. Do not press down on meat. Let them sit. Wait until juices begin to puddle on top of patty to flip. Take off grill 1-2 minutes after flip. Patties will be medium-medium rare. Wait 3-5 minutes after leaving the grill to eat. Doing so will make for a juicier patty.

Step 6:
Wrap long leaves around patty. Top with tomato and sriracha mayo. Enjoy.

maliedoo

I will go ahead and share a favorite smoothie of mine.

Turmeric Smoothie
QPZiRXFl.jpg

Skill Level:
Beginner

Needed:
1 cup hemp or coconut milk
1/2 cup frozen pineapple or mango chunks
1 fresh banana
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon maca (optional)

Organic Ingredients are recommended but not required.

Instructions:
Add all ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. Try to drink this smoothie in the morning before you have anything to eat.

I will go ahead and share a favorite smoothie of mine.

Turmeric Smoothie
QPZiRXFl.jpg

Skill Level:
Beginner

Needed:
1 cup hemp or coconut milk
1/2 cup frozen pineapple or mango chunks
1 fresh banana
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon maca (optional)

Organic Ingredients are recommended but not required.

Instructions:
Add all ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. Try to drink this smoothie in the morning before you have anything to eat.

This looks delicious and I am definitely going to make this. I've been doing liquid / shakes only throughout the day (am loving Phood as a meal supplement along with PB2 - a peanut butter powder, chocolate almond milk, and banana yogurt as breakfast) and I'm loving the turmeric and other ingredients you have listed.

I don't have a blender (normally shake my stuff up in a blending cup) so could I substitute organic pineapple, mango juice, and banana yogurt instead?

Thanks for this!

H2Yo

The most easiest recipe is peanut butter cookies.

1 egg
1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of sugar

Put it all in a blender and blitz until combined.

Spoon little balls of the mix on a baking tray and cook on 190C until golden brown.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Spanish Tortilla
999995_alt2.jpg

Cost: cheap
Time: 1 hour
Serves: 4
Skill Level: easy

Ingredients
  • 1 lb of potatoes prefereably, Yukon Gold or Russet. You can also use canned sliced ones.
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 onion or half depending on taste.
  • oilve oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Cooking Guide

1. Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Pat dry. Chop onion.

2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet. Make sure it is big enough to fit the potatoes. Add onions and potatoes. Flip and stir to avoid burning and ensuring even cooking. Cook until potatoes are soft.

3. Whisk eggs thoroughly. Add salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes, evenly covering and folding in all of the potatoes and onion.

4. When the mixture sets and a crust is formed (use spatula to check), grab a large plate and cover over skillet. Flip the skillet onto the plate and then slide back into the skillet. Cook until crust is form.

5. Flip or slide onto plate.

I eat it with a side of salad. Can be served cold.

Variations:
You can add red or green peppers. Basque region of the dish contains tuna.

IMG_1737_zps7fd101e8.jpg

An easy but remarkably great tasting recipe as long as you have quality, well-marbled rib eye. One of the first things I truly learned how to make properly.

Pan-Roasted Dry-Aged Rib Eye
From Momofuku, by David Chang and Peter Meehan
Ingredients:
One 2- to 2 1/2 lb bone-in rib-eye steak, preferably dry-aged
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
A few sprigs of thyme
3 garlic cloves
2 small shallots
Maldon salt

Directions:
Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat a 10- to 12-inch cast-iron pan over high heat. While the pan is heating, season the steak liberally with salt--like you'd salt a sidewalk in New York in the winter--and then with pepper.

When the pan is good and hot--the steak should sizzle aggressively when it touches the pan--brown the steak. Put the steak in the pan and don't touch it or press it. After 2 minutes, take a peek: the steak should release easily from the pan and the seared side should be on the golden side of browned. Flip it. Sear the second side for another 2 minutes, following the same program. Sear the steak up with the side fatty side opposite the bone against the pan for 30 seconds, then turn the steak back over so the side that was seared first is against the pan. Put the steak in the oven and leave it untouched for 8 minutes.

Return the pan to the stovetop over low heat. Add the butter, thyme, garlic, and shallots to the pan. As soon as the butter melts, start basting: Use one hand to tilt the pan up at a 45-degree angle and, with the other hand, use a very large spoon to scoop up butter from the pool in the pan and spoon it over the steak. Repeat this motion constantly, cloaking the steak in an eddy of aromatic melted butter. After about 2 minutes of basting, give your pan-holding hand a break and give the steak a poke--it should be squishy soft, or somewhere close to that. If it's there, and if you like your steak rare, pull the steak from the pan and put it on a plate to rest. If you like your steak medium-rare (my personal preference), baste it for another minute or two. Do not cook this steak beyond medium-rare. It'll ruin it. And save the pan juice for the table! It's delicious.

Let the steak rest for at least 10 minutes. Do not slice into it before then. After 10 minutes, cut the steak off the bone, then slice it against the grain (cutting in the direction that was perpendicular to the bone) into 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Put on plates and pour any juices from where it rested and the cutting board into the pan drippings. Scatter the steak with Maldon salt and serve with your choice of vegetables (Chang suggests potatoes) and drippings on the side.

jchap

Spanish Tortilla

Skill Level: easy

As someone who grew up eating and cooking Spanish tortillas they are not that easy to cook. There is a lot that can go wrong in the flipping process and there is a fine line between set and over done. Frying the potatoes and onions the temperature of the oil is important (about 300F) because you don't want color on them but you want them cooked through. There is a video online of Marco Pierre White (3 star Michelin chef) screwing one up.

Subbed. I'm a total dumbass when it comes to cooking so these recipes will be super helpful. Also because I have fluctuating macros throughout the week so I need to be able to cook and try to nail them. And on top of that, BBQ season will probably end rather soon so I can't cop out that way either.

Jintor

I typically heat until it's just starting to make dumb noises, which is usually pretty quick

Also, subbed. I just moved out of home for the first time so this will be super useful

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
As someone who grew up eating and cooking Spanish tortillas they are not that easy to cook. There is a lot that can go wrong in the flipping process and there is a fine line between set and over done. There is a video online of Marco Pierre White (3 star Michelin chef) screwing one up.

That can be said of an omelette too.

way more

Thai Red Curry Chicken

This recipe becomes easy once you realize it's simply about getting the amount of curry paste, sugar, and fish sauce cooked at the right amounts. It's really just those three simple ingredients and then you pour and mix in the coconut milk.

Ingredients

Thai Red Curry Chicken Ingredients
1 1/2 lb chicken breast boned, skinned and cut into 1&#8243; pieces

2 1/2 cups chicken stock/broth

2 1/2 cups coconut milk or 2 &#8211; 14 oz (400ml) cans (NOT Coco Lopez cream of coconut as used in piña coladas)

2 cups sweet or Thai basil, leaves and a few buds only &#8211; not stems

1 or 2 medium size red bell peppers (capsicum) cut into 1&#8243; cubes

2 medium to large size jalapeños peppers, sliced very thin

1 / 8 or 10 oz can bamboo shoots

2 to 3 tbsp prepared Thai red curry paste &#8211; more is hotter!

2 1/2 tsp fish sauce

3 tbsp sugar

Preparation

Combine curry paste, fish sauce, sugar and one cup of the coconut milk in a wok. (If you are lucky&#8230;the coconut milk has been on the shelf long enough to condense thick at one end of the can, and if so use that for this step! The thicker, the better).

Bring to a boil and reduce over a medium-high heat. Scrape sides and mash the curry so it mixed well into the rest of the ingredients. Don&#8217;t let it stick to the bottom of the pan. It should become a thick, darkened, pasty consistency after about 15 minutes. Pockets of reddish oil will begin to form, (see picture), but if this doesn&#8217;t happen after 15 minutes add a few tbsp of the reserved stock and reduce some more. Repeat if necessary.

redcurry-300x225.jpg

Cook for 10 or so minutes at medium-high stirring and scraping so not to stick to the wok, and then add the remaining coconut milk and a 1/2 cup of the reserved stock.

Just before it boils again add the chicken and cook for a few minutes so chicken is cooked through. Next stir in the bell peppers and jalapeño and bamboo shoots, cooking for a just a few minutes longer so the peppers are no longer raw but a little al dente.

Remove the wok from heat and add lime leaves and basil.

Cooks Illustrated Simple Marinara

2 (28 oz) cans whole tomatoes packed in juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 medium garlic cloves, mince
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/3 cup dry red wine, such as Chianti or Merlot
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1-2 teaspoons sugar, as needed

Pour tomatoes and juice into strainer set over large bowl. Open tomatoes with hands and remove and discard cores, let tomatoes drain excess liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove 3/4 cup tomatoes from strainer and set aside. Reserve 2 1/2 cups tomato juice.

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and golden around edges, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and cook, 30 seconds.

Add tomatoes from strainer and increase heat to medium high. Cook, stirring every minute, until liquid has evaporated and tomatoes begin to stick to bottom of pan, 10-12 minutes. Add wine and cook until thick and syrupy, about 1 minute. Add reserved tomato juice and bring to simmer;reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce is thick, 8-10 minutes.

Transfer sauce to food processor and add reserved tomatoes, process until slightly chunky. Return sauce to skillet and add basil and extra-virgin olive oil and salt and pepper and sugar to taste.

Weber's Turkey Burgers with Scallions and Mushrooms

If you are have to make turkey burgers instead of regular burgers use the recipe. There is so much stuffed into the meat it's actually tasty and juicy even if it is a turkey burger.

8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil, plus a little more for grilling the patties
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2-1/2 pounds ground turkey (93% lean)
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
8 sesame seed buns
Dijon mustard, optional
Tabasco® sauce, optional

1. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Twist out the stems from the caps and discard. Cut the mushrooms into 1/4-inch dice.

2. In a skillet large enough to hold the mushrooms in a single layer, heat the garlic in the oil over medium heat. When the garlic starts to sizzle, swirl it for even cooking until it starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger and the scallions and continue to cook until the scallions start to wilt, about 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, move the ingredients to a baking sheet, keeping as much of the fragrant oil as possible in the pan. Add the mushrooms in an even layer to the pan and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Increase the heat to medium and cook until caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mushrooms to the baking sheet, spreading them out to cool.

3. In a large bowl gently mix the turkey, cooked vegetables, thyme, soy sauce, sesame oil, mustard powder, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Divide the turkey mixture into 8 portions, about 6 ounces each. Gently shape into patties about 4 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.

4. If you are using a charcoal grill, fill a Weber® RapidFire® chimney starter to the rim with charcoal and burn the charcoal until it is lightly covered with ash. Spread the charcoal in a tightly packed, single layer across one-half of the charcoal grate. Put the cooking grate in place, close the lid, and preheat the grill to high heat. Keep all the vents open.

If you are using a gas grill, preheat your grill on high until it reaches 500°F.

5. Lightly coat the burgers on both sides with olive oil. Brush the cooking grate(s) clean. Grill the patties over direct high heat (450°F to 550°F), with the lid closed as much as possible, until well browned on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once when the patties release easily from the grate and swapping their positions as needed for even cooking. Move the patties over indirect high heat and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, 4 to 6 minutes, swapping their positions as needed for even cooking.

6. Grill the buns, cut sides down, over direct heat, with the lid open, until lightly toasted, 20 to 30 seconds. Serve warm with mustard and Tabasco® sauce, if desired.

100_1528.jpg

Look at all those things stuffed in that burger.

Nostremitus checking in and subbed.

I'll start with something unhealthy.

My Grandmother's Chocolate Gravy Recipe

Cost: cheap

Time: ~5-10 minutes

Serves: Depends on use

Skill Level: Beginner, all you do is stir.

Flavour traits: Semi-sweet chocolate (not sure what to put here...)

Nutrition notes: It's not healthy, but should have plenty antioxidants.

Ingredients
  • 1 Cup sugar
  • 2 heaping tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa (Regular cocoa works to!)
  • 3 heaping tablespoons of flour
  • 2 cups filtered, spring, or distilled water (to prevent a chlorinated taste)
  • 1 or 2 tablespoons real butter (optional but delicious)

Cooking Guide
Sift dry ingredients together into a medium skillet or saucepan.
Press with spatula until all clumps are gone and ingredients are mixed evenly.
Add water slowly while mixing.
Heat on med-low heat stirring constantly with spatula to prevent any sticking/burning to bottom of pan until it reaches a desired thickness.
This is personal preference. The thickness can range from chocolate syrup to pudding. If you make it too thick, add more water and stir until mixed evenly and reaches your desired thickness.

Remove from heat. Serve atop halved biscuits, as a fruit dip, add to milk for a chocolaty drink, serve with ice cream, etc.

For an extra tasty gravy for biscuits, add 1 or 2 Tablespoons of real butter before it cools.​

Please excuse my terrible photos.

I didn't sift it in this time, it took me a while to press all of the clumps out.

This is the thickness I prefer for biscuits.

I use dark cocoa. if you use regular cocoa it will have that chocolaty brown look.

This is how I usually make udon soup with soft boiled egg at home. It's not totally from scratch as making dashi isn't something I want to do late at night when I'm really hungry, but feel free to use it as a guide and improvise on it if you want to add other ingredients! I usually add tofu to mine.

Time: prep time - 6 minutes, cooking time - maybe 15
Serves: 1~2
Skill Level: pretty simple
Flavour traits: traditional Japanese flavor
Ingredients: Udon noodles, Higashimaru Udon Soup Stock (or anything comparable. You can also use the Memmi stock by itself but I like the extra flavor), Kikkoman Memmi, green onions, eggs, water

Cooking Guide

I begin by preparing 2 soft boiled eggs. You can make more if you wish.

I set out the eggs beforehand to let them settle to around room temperature.

Using a small thumbtack

I prick either end of the egg (top and bottom) to allow airflow while boiling.

In a small saucepan I put enough boiling water to just cover the eggs. I drop the eggs in one by one with a spoon and I let them boil for 6 minutes.

After the 6 minute mark, I remove the eggs gently with the spoon and let them cool down in a bowl of ice and water. I'm paranoid so I also put that bowl in the fridge.

When they're chilled, peel them, of course. :)

Here is where you could additionally marinate the eggs overnight if you wish using dashi and soy. Simply use a tupperware container or plastic bag and fill it with the marinade and eggs and place in the fridge. You'll end up with a flavored soft boiled egg.

I also cut up a few green onions to add as garnish and flavoring to the top of the soup when it's finished.

On to the soup!

I bring the same small saucepan I used to boil the eggs to start my broth. I fill it with 2 cups of water and wait for it to boil.

Meanwhile, I fill a larger saucepan and fill that with enough water to boil the udon noodles. I cook them for 11 minutes, and afterwards rinse them thoroughly with cold water.

When the small saucepan's water is at boiling temperature, I pour in 2 packets of the Higashimaru Udon Soup stock and let it return to a simmer. I add a splash of Kikkoman Memmi (probably about a tablespoon - taste it after to see if you want more!).

I remove the chilled soft boiled eggs from the fridge and slice them into two sections.

I pour the udon noodles and the soup stock from the burner into a large soup bowl, and arrange the sliced soft boiled egg neatly around the noodles. I then sprinkle the green onions on top.

And you get something like this!

Not my image, but a good example of the finished product! :)

Booshka

Great thread, been just throwing food into my cast iron and been very satisfied with most of the results. Anyone have some tips or recipes for some good ol' dutch oven cast iron cooking would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom