• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Learns to cook - Let's share recipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paskowitz

Not food but still delicious.

Bloody Screwdriver (accepting better names)

Ingredients:
- 1-2 shots of Tito's Vodka
9769.jpg
- Italian Volcano Blood Orange Juice
- 1 large spring of rosemary
- 1 small spring of lavender (not the flower, the herb)
- 1 tablespoon of quality honey
- 1 large or a couple medium sized ice cubes
- Highball or similar style glass

Assembly:
- Wash the herbs
- Put the honey in a small pan with the rosemary. Make sure the rosemary is covered in the honey. Put on high heat for a minute (just to release the oils of the rosemary into the honey).
- Scoop up the honey with a spoon and cover the inside of the glass with the honey. Leave the rosemary.
- Pour the vodka and then the OJ into your glass
- Take the spring of rosemary and use it to stir
- Add ice and the lavender for garnish

This specific blood orange juice is essential. The oranges (probably not 100%) are actually grown at the base of Mount Etna in Italy. The volcanic soil gives the juice a very rich earthy flavor. The rosemary and honey compliment this well. The lavender is just for smell and looks.

I wonder if this is the right thread to ask about cooking in general. Last night, I marinade a bunch of beef short ribs and put it in the fridge, today I cook them in frying pan with butter on high heat around 2 minute before I turn it over and wait another 2 minute to cook the other side

The resulting meat itself taste great imo, it had the sweetnes from the marinade sauce with just the right amount of saltiness. But the meat does end up a bit tough and a little hard to chew, especially the part surrounding the bone. I wouldn't call it rubbery, but it's not easy to cut the meat with fork and spoon.

Just wonder if that's the the way short ribs is, or am I missing something

I wonder if this is the right thread to ask about cooking in general. Last night, I marinade a bunch of beef short ribs and put it in the fridge, today I cook them in frying pan with butter on high heat around 2 minute before I turn it over and wait another 2 minute to cook the other side

The resulting meat itself taste great imo, it had the sweetnes from the marinade sauce with just the right amount of saltiness. But the meat does end up a bit tough and a little hard to chew, especially the part surrounding the bone. I wouldn't call it rubbery, but it's not easy to cut the meat with fork and spoon.

I've only ever slow cooked short ribs, i'd have thought the intense heat and quick cooking of pan frying wouldn't give the fibres enough time to break down.

As awanderingsoul said, sorry ribs are better suited to slow cooking. Crock pot, pressure cooker, braise, slow roast, etc. I see them recommended quite frequently for use in Mexican or Tex-Mex cooking, where you braise the short ribs until the meat it fall-apart tender, shred it, and then put it on a tortilla with whatever else.

I'm trying to make korean bbq, I don't think they're slow cooked. There's plenty restaurant where they cook the meat in front of you and it's only a couple minutes until they're ready.

All of those "cook in front of you" Korean Barbecue places I've seen serve the meat as very thin slices so that they cook quickly at the table. I did look up a Korean barbecue shortribs recipe, though, and it notes to make sure you use the Korean style ribs, which from your picture, looks like you did. If that's the case, then that's probably just how the short ribs are in this particular recipe.

How well done did you cook the meat? It's possible that it's like chicken legs and thighs where it needs to be cooked to a much higher temperature than other cuts.

All of those "cook in front of you" Korean Barbecue places I've seen serve the meat as very thin slices so that they cook quickly at the table. I did look up a Korean barbecue shortribs recipe, though, and it notes to make sure you use the Korean style ribs, which from your picture, looks like you did. If that's the case, then that's probably just how the short ribs are in this particular recipe.

How well done did you cook the meat? It's possible that it's like chicken legs and thighs where it needs to be cooked to a much higher temperature than other cuts.

oh that's not photo of my food, my ribs go straight to my stomach, no time for a photo shoot, hahaha. that's just pic I google to show what I'm trying to cook.

the meat slice is not thick enough that I can tell if it's well done or not, it's not dry though like I usually associate meat that are too well done. maybe it's the meat quality that I bought. it's frozen when I bought it, not sure if that matter since I wait overnight until it thawed in the fridge before I marinade it.

oh that's not photo of my food, my ribs go straight to my stomach, no time for a photo shoot, hahaha. that's just pic I google to show what I'm trying to cook.

the meat slice is not thick enough that I can tell if it's well done or not, it's not dry though like I usually associate meat that are too well done. maybe it's the meat quality that I bought. it's frozen when I bought it, not sure if that matter since I wait overnight until it thawed in the fridge before I marinade it.

I'm not suggesting it was too well done, I'm suggesting it was not done enough. New York strip may be perfectly fine at medium-rare, but cook a chuck roast like that and it'll be inedibly chewy. You may have the same issue here. Short ribs may need to be cooked to well done and beyond to help break down the connective tissue. That connective tissue then turns to gelatin, which keeps it juicy despite cooking it to 180°F+.

Beyond that, double check that you got the right kind of short ribs. They are cut differently, so the Korean style may be cut to shorten the length of the muscle fibers and connective tissue to make it handle fast cooking methods better. But considering you only cooked them for two minutes on a side, I'm leaning toward the first explanation. All the recipes I'm finding suggest cooking for 5-7 minutes per side, more than double what you did.

I'm not suggesting it was too well done, I'm suggesting it was not done enough. New York strip may be perfectly fine at medium-rare, but cook a chuck roast like that and it'll be inedibly chewy. You may have the same issue here. Short ribs may need to be cooked to well done and beyond to help break down the connective tissue. That connective tissue then turns to gelatin, which keeps it juicy despite cooking it to 180°F+.

Beyond that, double check that you got the right kind of short ribs. They are cut differently, so the Korean style may be cut to shorten the length of the muscle fibers and connective tissue to make it handle fast cooking methods better. But considering you only cooked them for two minutes on a side, I'm leaning toward the first explanation. All the recipes I'm finding suggest cooking for 5-7 minutes per side, more than double what you did.

that's interesting, I'll try that next time. I'm just afraid I burned the meat if it's too long, I'll simply turn it often and make sure it didn't get burnt I guess.

thanks for the tip

that's interesting, I'll try that next time. I'm just afraid I burned the meat if it's too long, I'll simply turn it often and make sure it didn't get burnt I guess.

thanks for the tip

Don't worry too much, meat can take quite a bit of heat before it burns. My preferred method of cooking chicken and pork chops is to drop it in a bit of oil in a blistering-hot cast iron skillet and let it sit and brown for five or six minutes before flipping and moving to the oven. Good luck, and hope it turns out for you next time!

Go_Ly_Dow

Investing and switching to reasonable quality olive oils is a great thing you can do for your health and also general taste.

Nola

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo to post with the recipe. I've made this many times and it's always a big hit! Very quick and easy to make. :)

Cake Ingredients
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups frozen blueberries (do not defrost)

Topping Ingredients
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
1. Beat together butter and cream cheese.

2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Add this mixture, along with sugar and egg to the butter and cream cheese.

3. Fold in blueberries.

4. Spread mixture into a greased 9" pan. Smooth the top.

5. For the topping, dump sugar and cinnamon on top and swirl the pan to cover.

6. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

7. After baking, cool 10 minutes then unmold. (This can be tough.) Cool on rack and dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

This one is pretty easy and fucking delicious.

1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 clove of garlic
1 onion
4 portabello mushrooms
4 Hot italian sausages, raw.

Instructions. Feeds 2.
Pull off the stems of the mushrooms leaving the cap for a bowl.
dice the stems
Dice 1 half red and yellow pepper
dice about half of the red onion
dice about half of the clove of garlic
Squeeze the sausage meet out of 4 of the sausage condoms.
Mix it all in a bowl.
stuff the 4 portabello mushrooms evenly with the mixture.
cook at 350 for about 40 minutes.

I wish I could post what that smells like. Mm mm.

Nola

I think I'm going to make this tonight: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/chicken-alfredo-baked-ziti-recipe/

Do you guys know of any digital solutions to storing all your recipes? Would be great to have an app that has them all or something. The bookmarks folder just isn't cutting it!

Also, I made these slow cooker chicken taco bowls last week and it was superb, and also super easy to make. Highly recommend: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/07/taco-chicken-bowls/

Love that chicken taco bowl recipe! That blog (and her cookbook) have a number of great, easy recipes.

Kamaji

Just got a pressure cooker and as of such i'm looking for recipes.

Anybody's got any favourite recipes/food blogs using pressure cooking?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
toadsworth said:
Do you guys know of any digital solutions to storing all your recipes? Would be great to have an app that has them all or something. The bookmarks folder just isn't cutting it!

I think this is what pinterest is designed for!

DJ_Lae

Just got a pressure cooker and as of such i'm looking for recipes.

Anybody's got any favourite recipes/food blogs using pressure cooking?

I got a shit-ton of mileage out of http://www.hippressurecooking.com/

Mostly because they tend to be friendly to electric pressure cookers (like the Instant Pot), where I would otherwise have to do a bti of guessing. But there's a ton of great stuff there and I definitely recommend her cookbook as well.

Kamaji

I got a shit-ton of mileage out of http://www.hippressurecooking.com/

Mostly because they tend to be friendly to electric pressure cookers (like the Instant Pot), where I would otherwise have to do a bti of guessing. But there's a ton of great stuff there and I definitely recommend her cookbook as well.

Got a non-electrical but it would still work right? Thanks a bunch anyway :)

Hmm. Isn't that thread only for slow cookers? :--o

DJ_Lae

Got a non-electrical but it would still work right? Thanks a bunch anyway :)

Oh, absolutely - every single recipe will have times and instructions for regular pressure cookers, I just like that some of them (and every one in the book) have alternate times for electric pressure cookers because I'm lazy like that.

I do own one stovetop pressure cooker but it's an older rocker style and scares the shit out of my kids when I use it.

My Sri Lankan Step-Mother got me this for Christmas. I've been asking her to photo copy some of the recipes for years.

This is the Grail of Curry Recipes.

9780070596399-us-300.jpg

sleepnaught

Anyone have any cheap but healthy recipes to share? Cheaper the better. Chicken, tilapia, that kinda thing. Preferably something that makes enough to have left overs for lunch at work the following day.

I did some looking at my checking account today and decided to add up how much I spent(wasted) on food this month. A whopping $580 on myself. I'm trying to set a goal to around $350/mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom