• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Learns to cook - Let's share recipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanksgiving is upon us and this thread needs a revival!
I'm looking for an awesome Cheeseball recipe - anyone have one or know of one to recommend?

Jintor

Any ideas what to do with two tiny boxes of mini tomatos that are starting to look dodgy?

Was thinking of tossing them into the slow cooker with some olive oil and some other chunked vegetables and ... well, just slow-cooking veggies, I guess.

Any ideas what to do with two tiny boxes of mini tomatos that are starting to look dodgy?

Was thinking of tossing them into the slow cooker with some olive oil and some other chunked vegetables and ... well, just slow-cooking veggies, I guess.
Slice them in half and cook for 2 or 3 minutes in olive oil and a couple cloves of crushed garlic. Throw in some pasta (and basil leaves, chilli flakes, parmasan if you have them around).

10 minute meal, and it makes a really quick, fresh tasting alternative to the longer slow-cooked bolognese type tomato pasta sauce.

zbarron

That would work. Last time I had some that needed used I "Sun" dried them in the oven. From there you can enjoy them as is or add them to many recipes. It's really easy to do.

This morning I made guacamole and some queso fresco. I am about to start making tortillas and then when my wife gets home I'm going to toss the sirloin tip steaks I've had marinating in malbec onto a hot cast iron grill pan under the broiled. No peppers or onions or rice or anything fancy. A simple wrap made from homemade ingredients. Maybe I'll throw in some refried beans. I haven't decided. Pics probably forthcoming. These dinners always end up a delicious mess.

I'm making a Roasted Pork Tenderloin tonight. It's been marinating in olive oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and chilli flakes for two days.

Side dishes will be Roasted Garlic infused White Bean Purée

Garlic Parmesan Risotto.

I hope it turns out.

Go_Ly_Dow

Healthy, Cheap, Bulk meal for those looking to get some veggie in their diet.

Ratatouille

mPMeMxN.jpg

-2 Courgettes
-2 large peppers (1 red 1 green)
-1 large onion (maybe add another half if you like it strooonng)
-4 medium/large cloves of garlic
-500g carton of passata or tinned tomatoes (passasta is better)
-Tons of basil
-Olive oil
-Salt and pepper

1. 3-4 table spoons of oil oil in pan
2. add diced garlic and cook for 1-2 mins. do not burn it
3. add diced onion and cook for 3 minutes
4. add sliced courguettes for 4-5 mins
5. add sliced peppers and cook for 3 mins
6. add the passata, add lots if you like it saucy and a little if you prefer it thick
7. finally add basil (fresh is better but dry is fine) salt and pepper
8. cook for 10 mins on low heat and add more seasonings to taste

serve with pasta or rice and sprinkle on some cheddar if you want

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm making a Roasted Pork Tenderloin tonight. It's been marinating in olive oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and chilli flakes for two days.

Side dishes will be Roasted Garlic infused White Bean Purée

Garlic Parmesan Risotto.

I hope it turns out.

this thread and iron cook gaf needs pics or ban

Healthy, Cheap, Bulk meal for those looking to get some veggie in their diet.

Ratatouille

mPMeMxN.jpg

-2 Courgettes
-2 large peppers (1 red 1 green)
-1 large onion (maybe add another half if you like it strooonng)
-4 medium/large cloves of garlic
-500g carton of passata or tinned tomatoes (passasta is better)
-Tons of basil
-Olive oil
-Salt and pepper

1. 3 table spoons of oil oil in pan
2. add diced garlic and cook for 1-2 mins. do not burn it
3. add diced onion and cook for 3 minutes
4. add sliced courguettes for 4-5 mins
5. add sliced peppers and cook for 3 mins
6. add the passata, add lots if you like it saucy and a little if you prefer it thick
7. finally add basil (fresh is better but dry is fine) salt and pepper
8. cook for 10 mins on low heat and add more seasonings to taste

serve with pasta or rice and sprinkle on some cheddar if you want

Damn gotta make this

I made This Cheeseball for Thanksgiving and it was a great success (and really easy!).

exps21881_TH10388D8.jpg

Here is my customized recipe based on it. I took out the sesame seeds and chives since I'm not a fan of them and I know a lot of other people aren't as well.

INGREDIENTS

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (optional but awesome if you can get it)

TOPPING:
1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon

Assorted fresh vegetables or crackers for scooping

In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until blended. Add Liquid Smoke if desired. Shape mixture into a log or 2 separate balls. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

For topping, put the rest of the bacon bits in a large bowl and roll it all up on top of it until it's all gone.

Came up with a pretty good chicken sandwich a few days ago. I used some fairly common ingredients so I think most people should be able to make this pretty easily.

(excuse my upside down chicken breast lol)

Ingredients:
Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper
Lemon Juice
Pesto - I used Jamie Oliver's pesto. Pricy but the only other choice was Classico which I find to be complete trash.
Slice of cheese - I used Jarlsberg but mozzarella would probably be good
Baby Arugula
Alfalfa Sprouts (optional)
Bacon(!!)
Ciabatta Bread
Olive Oil
Butter
Chicken Breast
Dijon Mustard

Directions:
1. Take chicken breast (frozen is fine as well) and season with salt and pepper. Bit of lemon juice and apply pesto on top to taste
2. Bake chicken breast in oven @ 375 F (25 mins thawed, 45 mins frozen)
3. Make bacon (2 slices) on pan while chicken is baking
4. As bacon and chicken are cooking, mix olive oil and butter in small cup
5. Cut ciabatta bread to fit your chicken breast inside, apply olive oil/butter mix on both slices
6. When bacon is done, place in paper towels and pour/save most of the grease BUT leave just a tiny bit in the pan
7. When chicken is done, place slice of cheese on top and keep it in the oven. The residual heat should melt it nicely
8. Once cheese is melted, place chicken on pan with bacon grease at about medium to medium-high heat to give the chicken some more texture on the bottom. Keep it there maybe for a minute or when it's just a little browned
9. As the chicken is on pan, toast ciabatta
10. Put everything together! Ciabatta, dash of dijon mustard, bacon strips, arugula, alfalfa sprouts, chicken breast

Also started making a lot of real basic fried rice with my leftover rice.

Ingredients:
Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper
Day old rice
1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
Sesame oil
1-2 eggs
Soya sauce
Veggies (carrots, broccoli, peppers, whatever you got)
Pre-cooked Meat (sausage, deli meats, whatever you got)
Fresh basil (optional)

Directions:
1. Break egg(s) in small cup, season with salt/pepper and beat lightly
2. Heat pan to about medium-high and put in sesame oil
3. Chop garlic and toss into pan when it has heated up
4. Pour in eggs and stir constantly like you're making scrambled eggs
5. Once eggs are starting to firm up, pour in rice and start breaking it apart so it's not in clumps
6. Toss in your veggies/meat
7. Pour in soya sauce to taste, mix it around, then toss in some fresh basil leaves
8. Just keep tossing everything around in pan until it is hot enough to eat (should be 1-2mins at this point)

I neglected to crush up the cinnamon, cloves and cardamom enough in the mortar and pestle. So there were hard bits throughout.

I'll give it 7.5/10 for my first vindaloo.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Came up with a pretty good chicken sandwich a few days ago. I used some fairly common ingredients so I think most people should be able to make this pretty easily.

(excuse my upside down chicken breast lol)

Ingredients:
Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper
Lemon Juice
Pesto - I used Jamie Oliver's pesto. Pricy but the only other choice was Classico which I find to be complete trash.
Slice of cheese - I used Jarlsberg but mozzarella would probably be good
Baby Arugula
Alfalfa Sprouts (optional)
Bacon(!!)
Ciabatta Bread
Olive Oil
Butter
Chicken Breast
Dijon Mustard

Directions:
1. Take chicken breast (frozen is fine as well) and season with salt and pepper. Bit of lemon juice and apply pesto on top to taste
2. Bake chicken breast in oven @ 375 F (25 mins thawed, 45 mins frozen)
3. Make bacon (2 slices) on pan while chicken is baking
4. As bacon and chicken are cooking, mix olive oil and butter in small cup
5. Cut ciabatta bread to fit your chicken breast inside, apply olive oil/butter mix on both slices
6. When bacon is done, place in paper towels and pour/save most of the grease BUT leave just a tiny bit in the pan
7. When chicken is done, place slice of cheese on top and keep it in the oven. The residual heat should melt it nicely
8. Once cheese is melted, place chicken on pan with bacon grease at about medium to medium-high heat to give the chicken some more texture on the bottom. Keep it there maybe for a minute or when it's just a little browned
9. As the chicken is on pan, toast ciabatta
10. Put everything together! Ciabatta, dash of dijon mustard, bacon strips, arugula, alfalfa sprouts, chicken breast

Just made this. Thanks for the recipe. I loved it and my sis wished I made extra for tomorrow lol.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Budget Home Made Pizza

just made a pizza, dough from scratch,

found a recipe for two ingredients to make the base, just Greek yoghurt and self raising flour, they recommend a cup measurement for both, ( I find a cup of yoghurt and a cup and a 1/4 of flour )

any way put the yoghurt in a bowl add the flour, mix like mad ( I added a pinch of salt and some dried herbs to the mix) adding flour or yoghurt to get the right consistency, 3-5 mins of mixing.

when is pliable enough form into a ball, dust a surface with flour.

preheat an oven to 200 degrees Celsius

kneed the dough a bit and then you can flatten out with a rolling pin, roll from the centre out and rotate and repeat.

for the sauce I used some bolognese sauce, covered in cheese (any of your choice)
and other toppings in the fridge.

I even put cheese round the edge and folded the dough over to make a stuffed crust.

after all that grease up a metal tray put the pizza on and let cook for ten - twelve minutes, get a nice golden brown on the base and the cheese.

while it is cooking make some salad.

once done, enjoy

now the base is not going to be all light and fluffy, it is more bread like, but it is good none the less and as you made it yourself it tastes better for it.

for any one on a budget, I decided to buy the basic brand items or store branded

for the self raising flour, Greek yoghurt, sauce, two packs of mozzarella the whole lot came to £2.53. and gave me enough to make two basic pizza's if you have anything in the fridge you can make it go further.

Jintor

Okay gaf, help me get better scrambled eggs.

I like my mix atm - two eggs, dash of water, spoonful of sour cream/milk/cream/whatever I have on hand, salt, pepper, maybe a little bit of spring onions, pour shredded cheese onto pan when scrambling.

The problem is the heat when I toss it in - I have it on high, then set it to medium once I've poured the cheese on, but I'm consistently slightly singing the outside of the egg mass. If I have it on medium though the egg doesn't coelesce in a satisfactory fashion and tends to get stuck to the pan etc.

Any thoughts? It's probably just a case of being faster tossing the cheese on there, but any tips are appreciated.

maxcriden

I like my mix atm - two eggs, dash of water, spoonful of sour cream/milk/cream/whatever I have on hand, salt, pepper, maybe a little bit of spring onions, pour shredded cheese onto pan when scrambling.

The problem is the heat when I toss it in - I have it on high, then set it to medium once I've poured the cheese on, but I'm consistently slightly singing the outside of the egg mass. If I have it on medium though the egg doesn't coelesce in a satisfactory fashion and tends to get stuck to the pan etc.

Any thoughts? It's probably just a case of being faster tossing the cheese on there, but any tips are appreciated.

Jintor!!! NO no. No, no no. ;__:

You want to cook your scrambled eggs on medium low, more to the low side. Whisk them really well. Stir them gently as they cook, occasionally, with a wooden spoon or the like. Very gently. Salt and pepper to taste at the end. Add the shredded cheese only towards the very end of cooking.

Man. You're cooking them on high. Real life smh, Jintor. C'mon bro!

ETA: Wait. I calmed down a bit. Jintor. This is a troll post, right? You're trolling?

Jintor

But if I cook them on low they tend to stick to the pan instead of fragmenting nicely when you whisk!

Am I not greasing the pan enough beforehand?

maxcriden

But if I cook them on low they tend to stick to the pan instead of fragmenting nicely when you whisk!

Am I not greasing the pan enough beforehand?

Fragmenting. Jintor, please. My wife is going to get really worried when she sees me developing trichotillomania because of NeoGAF ;__;

You want to grease the pan with a small to medium amount of butter or olive or canola oil, depending on taste/healthfulness preference. You don't need a ton, but you don't want to cook them dry either. You don't need a nonstick pan though, cast iron will do. Stainless steel or aluminum will require more grease, though. But you're not making a model of pangea, mon frere, you're making scrambled eggs. The whole point of adding the sour cream (which isn't totally necessary but I understand the thought process behind it) is to make the eggs creamier. The best scrambled eggs are cooked on low, slowly curdle and meld together and you carefully, patiently stir them apart in figure-eight motions as they form together.

P.S. masterful troll, BTW.

Jintor

I hate heat management :<

will report back on the weekend

While I'm here, is there a way to get stuff out of the slow cooker not looking like brown gloop? (Carrots, pumpkins, sweet potatoes excepted, they look gorgeous)

TMC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

I make them like this. Delicious!

Peagles

While I'm here, is there a way to get stuff out of the slow cooker not looking like brown gloop? (Carrots, pumpkins, sweet potatoes excepted, they look gorgeous)

I'm something of a dab hand with a slow cooker, can I ask which ingredients are you having trouble with?

maxcriden

:) I hope you know I was just ribbing you. These are great questions to ask, I just want your scrambled eggs to be successful!

Jintor

I'm something of a dab hand with a slow cooker, can I ask which ingredients are you having trouble with?

Just staple stuff, you know, potatos, yams, onions, meats of varying description. Slow cooking is kinda actually difficult in Japan (especially when you can't speak Japanese well yet) because all the cuts of meat they sell are pretty rubbish. Been doing okay with whole chickens rotesserie-style using foil and whatnot, chicken legs, and I managed to find a big pack of pork legs, but not really sure what to do with them.

Oh and I need to defrost more first apparently or I default end up with soup. Which is okay, cos stock, but still.

Ty max, I wasn't trolling though ;____;

Silkworm

Just staple stuff, you know, potatos, yams, onions, meats of varying description. Slow cooking is kinda actually difficult in Japan (especially when you can't speak Japanese well yet) because all the cuts of meat they sell are pretty rubbish. Been doing okay with whole chickens rotesserie-style using foil and whatnot, chicken legs, and I managed to find a big pack of pork legs, but not really sure what to do with them.

Oh and I need to defrost more first apparently or I default end up with soup. Which is okay, cos stock, but still.

I've never tried to work with pork legs before but just a quick Google search turned up this pretty straightforward, simple recipe that uses a slow cooker
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/pa48i8bo/slow-cooker-roast-pork.html
And it mentions that you could throw in potatoes and carrots under the roast so it sounded like it might be up your alley. Anyway, good luck! It just takes time but I'm sure you'll get the hang of making good scrambled eggs and using your slow cooker to its fullest. :) And if you have a Dutch oven or ever think of buying one, you can braise tougher cuts of meat which sounds like something you might be dealing with.

Peagles

Slow cooking is best for the rubbish cuts of meats IMO because it breaks down that toughness over many hours of cooking. Fancy and expensive cuts won't fair too well. If your potatoes are turning to mush you may want to try chopping them into larger pieces, or soaking them first in ice water to remove some of the starch. What are your cooking times like?

You should fully defrost any meat before cooking in the slow cooker. That comment also makes me want to ask how much if any liquid are you adding to your recipes? A lot of people struggle initially with slow cookers because they add the same amount of liquid as a conventional recipe, when only about a third or less of what you'd normally use is needed in a slow cooker. When I do a lamb leg, for example, I don't add any liquid at all.

Jintor

Sorry, I forgot to clarify; I meant they're rubbish because they're all super thin perfect for stir fry or tonkatsu or whatever, which is great for that, except I don't want to do that cos I gotta go to work and don't really feel like cooking when I get home.

Yeah I'm adding too much water basically. Recipies often say "such and such of stock", except I use that and it comes out looking like rubbish.

It tastes good though, so I'm not too fussed, but I would like things to not look... well... gloopy.

Peagles

Sorry, I forgot to clarify; I meant they're rubbish because they're all super thin perfect for stir fry or tonkatsu or whatever, which is great for that, except I don't want to do that cos I gotta go to work and don't really feel like cooking when I get home.

If thicker cuts are impossible to get, try getting as large a pieces as possible, and rest them on a bed of veges, this will protect the meat from being overcooked by keeping it away from the element. I'd usually put onions at the bottom, then potatoes, then meat. All the meaty goodness should flow down as it cooks. Mmm :p

Re: liquid, is that slow cooker adjusted recipes or just normal recipes?

Silkworm

Yeah I'm adding too much water basically. Recipies often say "such and such of stock", except I use that and it comes out looking like rubbish.

It tastes good though, so I'm not too fussed, but I would like things to not look... well... gloopy.
Oh! We'll that sucks. Guess no chance of getting a rump roast or a boston butt then :-(

Jintor

Yeah I have to go to the Restaurant Supply Store to get any decent giant cuts of meat and then they take up my entire tiny-ass freezer. Oh well. At least I can find giant cuts of meat.

Peagles

They mostly start with "slow cooked~" so I assume they're adjusted.

Maybe. You can slow cook in the oven, in a pot, and just about anywhere, but a recipe designed for an actual slow cooker will be properly adjusted. If you're ending up with soupy stuff, it probably isn't.

Mr_Moogle

Subscribing to this thread. I really need to stop spending so much money on take away food and learn to cook.

Anybody got a decent recipe for Laksa?

GAF!

I bring you chicken curry. I know, right? Nothing that hasn't been done before, but normally I'd use something like curry paste to accomplish this. Lately I've decided to look beyond the jar, and do my curry with curry powder, and everything seems to be a lot more delicious for it. First up, the ingredients.

• Chicken (thighs), chopped into pieces
  • One onion, chopped up
  • Two smallish tomatoes, chopped up (basically same amount as the onions)
  • Mild madras curry powder
  • Garam masala powder
  • Ginger garlic paste (unpictured)
  • Milk (also unpictured)

BEHOLD my mise en place (french for get your shit together ahead of time):

wGXctRCl.jpg

First up, medium-low heat, I sweat my onion note this is a sweat, not a sautee. Add a pinch of salt to help this along:

Xs3YY5Al.jpg

Next I add some ginger garlic paste. I like a lot of this, but it adds a hell of a good flavor. I cook this for a minute until it gets nice and aromatic (you will know when this happens because suddenly your kitchen will start smelling insane).

QxKHS2Al.jpg

I add the curry powder (probably about two tablespoons) plus about half a cup of water, and cook it for a bit before I go further. This looks like a lot but really.. .it's not.

oKSbF6fl.jpg

After that's all cooked I add the chicken and mix it around until covered with the yumminess (heat up to medium). I cook the chicken until it's sealed, so a few minutes or so.

8YH9egxl.jpg

We're not done yet. BAM in goes the tomatoes. Trust me this won't be tomatoville for long. I usually add another pinch of salt to help these give up some liquid.

HvjTts5l.jpg

Once this goes for around 5-10 mins, I put in around half a cup of milk. Give this around 10 minutes more.

1okrJzYl.jpg

Once this had boiled down I checked for seasoning and added a pinch more of salt. To finish, I stirred in a HEALTHY pinch of garam masala as a finisher, this adds a really interesting cinnamon/clove type of flavor to the dish and it really accentuates the whole works. The result (spoon for scale):

OxCVtOTl.jpg

This came out SO WELL, and really doesn't take a lot of ingredients to accomplish heaven in your tummy. A bag of curry powder will last you for freaking ever if you keep it in an airtight jar in a cool and dark place (which I'm currently NOT doing but will be soon).

Bonus: when I put the milk in I start my oven up to 300C and throw in some naan bread brushed with some olive oil about five minutes before things are done so they're nice and soft and ready to go.

Enjoy, ya'll.

Skittles

Jintor!!! NO no. No, no no. ;__:

You want to cook your scrambled eggs on medium low, more to the low side. Whisk them really well. Stir them gently as they cook, occasionally, with a wooden spoon or the like. Very gently. Salt and pepper to taste at the end. Add the shredded cheese only towards the very end of cooking.

Man. You're cooking them on high. Real life smh, Jintor. C'mon bro!

ETA: Wait. I calmed down a bit. Jintor. This is a troll post, right? You're trolling?
Whisking eggs beforehand to make scrambled eggs? You monster.

I'll type up a pretty basic stir fry recipe within the next day, don't think anyone in the thread has made one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom