• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF "Let's Watch Anime" OT#3: Now Watching: Sunday Without God (9/1-9/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Episode 2

Wow a lot of world information in that one episode, but no confimration if he is her dadd or not. We did get confirmation that she is a child born after reproductions stopped though, so that wwas interesting. I though God stopped reproduction, but I guess it is allowed for non-dead people and Gravediggers? What gives...

Yomidi

It's over the 14 episodes limited and they isn't an official way to watch this show streaming as of now. Lastly, the hype of this show is maybe a bit too much from what I am in right now. I will post my impression of Ghost Stories later this month.

Yeah, I was mostly joking :p

Episode 2

At first I thought that the living dead were basically zombies, but it seems that at first they're normal and after a while they star changing. I didn't understand the concept that much and I hope they explain it a bit better in the future episodes.
This episode was mostly world building, which I didn't mid.
Still don't like the comedy scenes, even if there was only one in this episode. They feel so forced.

Episode 2

Hmm, another odd episode.
All I can say is that when someone gets shot it looks really cool, they kinda took the wasted effect of GTA
2bYjWBS.gif

------------------------------------------------------
So I'm going to be honest with you guys, I have no idea how this world is supposed to work, from these two episodes this is what I've gathered, I'm 100% wrong though so call me out if I'm talking shit.

The whole god left on sunday has no relation to the way that god did it in the bible, just compare this handy image I found in one google search with that gif of the show.

week-of-creation.jpg

With the seventh day being sunday, a day of rest

My bible knowledge isn't my strong suit though, maybe I'm missing something

Anyhow, instead of taking it literal God just abandoned the world on some random sunday, my guess is that it's pretty close to the 21st century. There are some signs that point that way, take this
psj1eWT.png

actual signpost for example

Humpty Dumpty (or whatever his name is, I'll call him Dante from now on) also has an uzi.

The era of this show is really misleading, it kinda feels like it takes place in some late-medieval setting. I have no clue why the writers felt the need to make it so misleading.

Also, Gravekeepers aren't human, god just sent them to earth to let people die, which is actually the most roundabout and unneccesarily complex way to do it but hey, God is kinda incompetent in this universe.

The weird thing is that I have no idea how death works in this universe, it's explained really bad, maybe I'm just stupid or they're going to clear it up later on but it's really a weak point which keeps me from enjoying this show, I have no idea what conversations mean when the characters are throwing words like "death" and "life" around when I don't even know which kind of "death" they're talking about.

This is my take on the way death works:

People live, 15 years ago god peaced out and now, when someone happens to die they don't actually "die" but are turned into this weird kind of state where they're still alive and detoriate when time goes on.
To really die a gravekeeper needs to dig a grave for you and then bury you, which gives someone their eternal rest, I have no idea where their souls go to though, Heaven and Hell were both full according to the big G

-----------------------------------------
Wow, this is such an incoherent mess that I just wrote, kinda fitting for the show I guess, do what it what you want, I hope someone can clear things up.

Yomidi

Episode 2

The weird thing is that I have no idea how death works in this universe, it's explained really bad, maybe I'm just stupid or they're going to clear it up later on but it's really a weak point which keeps me from enjoying this show, I have no idea what conversations mean when the characters are throwing words like "death" and "life" around when I don't even know which kind of "death" they're talking about.

This is my take on the way death works:

People live, 15 years ago god peaced out and now, when someone happens to die they don't actually "die" but are turned into this weird kind of state where they're still alive and detoriate when time goes on.
To really die a gravekeeper needs to dig a grave for you and then bury you, which gives someone their eternal rest, I have no idea where their souls go to though, Heaven and Hell were both full according to the big G

Yeah, I also don't really understand how death works. Like I said, I think that when they die, they still live like normal people, but after a while they become...."selfish"....and I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

Yeah, I also don't really understand how death works. Like I said, I think that when they die, they still live like normal people, but after a while they become...."selfish"....and I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

I think the show tries to explain it but it gets overshadowed by so much "anime" dialogue and stuff that I can't tie it all together.

This show in a whole is actually pretty "anime"

- Loli protagonist
- Edgy side character
- Weird """Deep""" themes that are hard to get and involve god or the fate of humanity

John Blade

Just finish ep 1 and halfway on ep 2. Won't post an impression per episode but all I can say I am a bit confused of what the hell is happening in the show except for the main idea like people can't die, only way to die is by grave digger who burry them properly, how life is working in this world, and that about it. Will continue watching it but my attention span for this show drop a bit now. Hell, Ghost Stories is starting to get my attention now as I am not watching too quick.

Russ T

Banned
It's fairly simple.

When they would have died of natural causes before God abandoned the world, they now just keep moving. Over time, they react more and more on pure instinct, losing the thing that makes them human, until they are nothing but mindless animals, moving only through sheer will to continue surviving.

The only thing that permanently immobilizes somebody is blowing their brains out, but at that point they're still not DEAD dead, in the... "religious" sense? Then, a gravekeeper buries them, and I'd guess something like their soul is released from their body.

Episode 2

More hints at the fact that her entire village was already (un)dead without bothering to outright say it. I dunno why the show is trying to act like it's a huge mystery. You've laid out all the clues. Just come out and say it?

I also still don't know why this small child is continuing to follow around someone who just, from her point of view, because she is a dumb small child and can't figure out why he did what he did, just killed her entire village.

The new guy made for some interesting conflict, so that's cool, I guess. Although he was an idiot. He just saved Ai from Hamphrie, who was going to kill her. Then he threatened her life to make Hamphrie play along. What? And then after than Hamphrie stopped wanting to kill Ai?? OKAY.

The Real Gravekeeper was intriguing. The seem kinda like robots? I admit I'm interested in learning why Ai's mother changed. Also what happened to her. Did the villagers kill her in the end so that she wouldn't be able to bury them, and then just manipulate Ai to their whim from that point on? Or was it a more natural death, and they just didn't realize that they had already died after that point? I'm learning toward the former, given the way that one dude acted despite having his head blown off. He didn't want to admit he was dead. But he also clearly cared about Ai, so there's something.

So it seems like I'm interested in the anime after all, even if so far I think most of it is bunk. ):

I wonder if "Ai" is wordplay on AI, since the gravekeepers are emotionless robots.

Cornbread78

What I want to know is why are the grave keepers the only ones that can reproduce? I got lost at that part about God granting people's wishes..

What I want to know is why are the grave keepers the only ones that can reproduce? I got lost at that part about God granting people's wishes..

Wasn't the point of gravekeepers that they just randomly pop up or something?

That gunslinger guy said something about it which is why he thought that he main girl wasn't a gravekeeper, but since it turned out that she was actually legit I don't really know.

The family situation will probably be cleared up later on, seems like that is the main premise right now.

kierwynn

Episodes 1 and 2

It's hard for me to really like watch and speculate on things as I already know what happens. What these episodes have reminded me about, though, is how interesting I find the whole world and it's concept. I've never been very fond of Ai and I'm starting to be reminded why. Her motivations are a little weird to me- I suppose she's probably following that guy around now because she has no where else to go but it's just odd to me after what he did, regardless of whether or not it was justified or not. Still, tho, the world building is good enough for me atm.

Mailbox

I'm just gonna say, I felt the same way as you guys did when I watched the first 2 episodes.

God, the wait for everyone to finish the second arc is hard.... I WANNA BINGE SO BADLY!

Episodes 1 and 2

It's hard for me to really like watch and speculate on things as I already know what happens. What these episodes have reminded me about, though, is how interesting I find the whole world and it's concept. I've never been very fond of Ai and I'm starting to be reminded why. Her motivations are a little weird to me- I suppose she's probably following that guy around now because she has no where else to go but it's just odd to me after what he did, regardless of whether or not it was justified or not. Still, tho, the world building is good enough for me atm.

Yeah, Ai's intercharacter relations are freakin baffling at times.

Episode 2
Something that somewhat annoys me about this show is the amount of camera shaking and other "realistic" effects during scenes just involving talking. Speaking of which, that's mostly what this episode was, exposition. I did feel it was more interesting than the first episode, but the show is still pretty eh, and Ai isn't likeable at this point.

Yomidi

Episode 3
gcRef09l.jpg

Yeah.....that's bullshit

The episode was pretty sweet and sad. But I have to say, I think Hambart whatever death was kinda of a waste. I think the series could have been really nice with the interactions between father and daughter and he was a fun character. This episode kinda felt like the finale of the series. I'm curious to see where the series will go, I think that Ai will go to various city to deal with problems with the living dead( Scar and Julie will probably join too).

And there was one thing that I didn't quite understand: why did Hambert whatever die? Did the discovery of having a daughter make him mortal again? It wasn't quite clear to me.

Russ T

Banned
Episode 3

Welp.

That's a story arc, I guess.

This episode felt like it was trying to emotionally manipulate me, but I hate Ai so much I just didn't care. I guess I was sad to see Hamphrie go, because I enjoyed the second episode's scenes with him and Julie, and was hoping to see more of that.

Curious to see what's going to happen with the rest of the series, I suppose, since it'll obviously be a big shift from "is he her dad or isn't he?!" I'm glad Scar appears to be tagging along now.

I wish I could be into this. D: It's the first GAF Let's Watch I've participated in and I just don't like the series so far. I looooved the first two series - Humanity Has Declined and Eccentric Family - a lot. A lot a lot! I hope this one redeems itself for me, because so far I am just not feeling it.

EDIT: As an aside, I wish Ai would lose that stupid hat.

JulianImp

Episode 3
Oh, God's still granting wishes alright.

This episode was kind of sad, but things happened way too fast for me to actually like Ai and Humpty Dumpty. Robo-waifu appears to be a non-entity so far and Julie's relationship with Humpty was interesting, so I'm sad to see that end as well.

It's like the anime's condensing too much story so, while things happen quickly and lend the show a dynamic feel, it's hard for you to actually care about stuff such as Humpty being captured if it all happens and gets solved in the span of a single episode.

Also, random comedy still ruins the day. Ai gripping her soaked striped panties as Julie spouted plot-relevant exposition was weird, and her having to take it off her hand in order to give Julie a handshake was very cringe-worthy. She's supposed to be a twelve-year-old, for crying out loud.

Show appears to be nothing to write home about, but it's certainly watchable.

--------

As an aside, I'd like to add Kyousougiga to the watch list, since it looks interesting enough from only having watched the first ep (and watchig EP0 by mistake as well).

EDIT: As an aside, I wish Ai would lose that stupid hat.

It sort of reminds me of Yellow from Pokémon Special, so I guess I'm biased towards it.

I remember this show, I really liked the first three episodes and
the last 3 episodes and found everything in between insufferably boring.

wow look at this anime, so i like the premise allot. i like the idea of a god just failing and the earth getting screwed over but from the moment they read the creation story of this world i thought that it probably won't go into more detail about why heaven and hell are full and why people won't die or how the grave keepers work. i think its going to give little tidbits of information that is just some alternate version of the bible. i didn't really like the character design of the main cast because they all look like the're trying to hard. the side characters all have something unique about them and are easy to recognize without having short shorts and a dumb head dress or a raincoat with white hair and red eyes. the only way to make the trench coat guy more anime is to give him different eye colors. the flow of he episode was fast but i liked that there where enough quiet and slow moments to not make it a blur of action.

Cornbread78

My goodness. I already had that part spoiler dfor me, but still dammit, that was a pretty damn sad scene.... I'm still kind of confused on what death actually is in this world, but yeah, that was a pretty powerful scene and obviously
Both their wishes were granted at that moment

I wonder how the plot goes the rest of the series now though..

Yomidi

Episode 4

This episode wasn't too interesting, since it was mostly exposition and world building, but this arc could be pretty good. Ortus gives a creepy vibe, with all the people in masks.
We get introduced to some new character: Kiriko isn't that interesting for now, while Wreck was pretty strange and funny. Ai remains the biggest problem with the series. While Julie and Scar are pretty fun, Ai is just annoying and boring.

Oh, and I discovered that there's a English Dub for this. Does anyone know how it is?

Russ T

Banned
Episode 4

I am instantly more interested in Ortus than anything that happened in the first three episodes.

So that's good!

John Blade

Look like I might drop this anime or put it on hold as the show isnt getting my attention from the episode I have watch. Maybe when I have nothing to watch them I might try it again. Like the idea but don't like how it's I am watching.

dluu13

Look like I might drop this anime or put it on hold as the show isnt getting my attention from the episode I have watch. Maybe when I have nothing to watch them I might try it again. Like the idea but don't like how it's I am watching.

I forgot to watch yesterday because my friends bought me GTA and I was playing that :(

Cornbread78

Something is about to go down in this city. I love the way the mix in the ED at the end of it. Also, the colors are still vibrant and nice to look at. I'm sure we will get more world info next episode.. Not sure how I feel about Ai yet though, I thought she would be super annoying by now, but she isn't so bad..

Episode 3
Still not feeling the series, but Hampnie's death was pretty sad. With the one character with a clear goal now dead, I'm expecting for the series to be pretty aimless until the finale, as these things tend to go. I didn't expect for Julie and Scar to join as party members, as opposed to just being recurring characters. Julie is probably the most interesting of the remaining characters, and although it's fairly generic, I do like Scar's design.

Episode 4
A huge city of the dead that seems to be getting along just fine? Doesn't that break the entire premise that the dead will inevitably go mad? Though maybe it connects to that girl at the end. The city setting is fairly interesting, even if the characters aren't so much.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
episode 1-3

Rewatching this series after playing darks souls just makes my brain make a huge amount of connections. This show is basically what would happen if darksouls took place today but without the fire subplot. Also, you can randomnly go hollow because life sucks.

So we have our mc basically following Dante around because why wouldnt you trust a guy who kills and has a shit eating grin? But that was not menat to be so she is joined up by scar, the holy paladin of the group and julie, the knight. To... wherever.

episode 4
We meet blue hair kid and take a ride on the blue submarine with wheels to ortus or as i like to call blighttown/anorlondo with the not creepy at all mask festival, which is also one my favorite scenes in the anime.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I enjoyed this series when it came out even though it flew under most people's radar. Reminded me a little bit of some of the anime in the early 2000's.

Yomidi

Episode 5

Why do they hide the princess face even if they show it in the opening? :/
This episode was boring, the way Kimiko was born was cool, but the rest was just dull.

Yomidi

Looks like we are going to need a good action based anime for the next watch.. Time for suggestions.

Can't think of any action show that isn't mainstream or really long.
But I approve with the previous suggestion of Kyousougiga, I've always wanted to see it but never got around it.

Russ T

Banned
I dunno about anyone else, but the lack of action is certainly not the reason I'm not into this. My favorite anime is Mushishi, which has very little action! I just don't think this is really doing anything interesting... ):

That said, Episode 5

Continues the trend of this second arc being infinitely better than the first one. It still hasn't done anything super interesting or what have you, but at least I have characters to care about that aren't dumb Ai.

John Blade

Looks like we are going to need a good action based anime for the next watch.. Time for suggestions.

Don't know if it's an unknown or not popular anime as I never heard about it and only saw one trailer but 009-1. You can see this under FUNimation Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL_6ADsDQxI

Don't know if it's good or bad anime but got it now and going to watch it later on when I am going through my anime collection I have own.

As for the current Let's watch, I don't know if it's the lack of action that make me bored. I guess the combination of a show that talk about religious stuff (which isn't bad if you don't go too crazy into it) try to mix some semi serious tone with a little girl and push in a hint of comedy (which is a miss from what I saw) and watching two other anime currently (Ghost Stories and You're Under Arrest season 3) kinda make this show not too interested for me.

It's kinda sad as the previous let's watch sound more interesting for me over the current one right now. I guess, personal taste will differ per person here.

Cornbread78

Kyousougiga might work, but it's pretty short if I remember. Maybe, if there is a good title, we can go the three week route with a 24 episode show with good impact.

dluu13

Kyousougiga might work, but it's pretty short if I remember. Maybe, if there is a good title, we can go the three week route with a 24 episode show with good impact.

Eden of the East was mentioned once before. I liked it, but it's been a long time since I watched that one.

John Blade

Well...if we go to 24 episodes show, here are some show I would recommend for it (note: some show have been input before but was over the episode limited).

Emma: A Victorian Romance (both season 1 and 2 together). Both season together will be total 24 episodes and can be watch on Nozomi Entertainment YouTube page. A hidden romance show gems which don't really follow the typical anime tone (except the animation) but have this feel like it's like those British romance drama which is well written and good story line from beginning to end.

Someday's Dreamers and Someday's Dreamers II: Sora: Each show is 12 episodes each and can be watch on Hulu (which mean, only American can watch it and other people need to VPN to see this show outside of US. An interesting story as you follow a girl who is going to train to use magic to help people. Along the way, you follow other characters in the show and see how they react when trying to use their own magic. Sora version is a bit different from the 1st show but it follow the same idea but this time you follow Sora and how she use her magic power to help people and also follow an emotional story which is a bit touching. A hidden gems show I have to say.

Ristorante Paradiso: Didn't watch this show but have some interest in it. Wonder if anyone watch this show.

Episode 5
So the dead not going crazy is just a matter of good healthcare? That does bring into question what the entire purpose of the gravekeepers is, then. The introduction of a witch, who I suppose will appear later due to the flashback giving her a design, is rather odd, since I didn't get the impression that there was any magic besides God and the gravekeepers. Having to kill people for them to stay in the city is dark, but looking cynically, the rule that you have to be dead is good at preventing crime, since you can probably be withheld treatment if you act out, and keeping living people there would screw up that system.

Dramatically, my issue with this arc so far is that all of the main characters seem to be completely fine with Ortus, and even Scar just seems mildly annoyed by the place. After the first arc presented being dead as being so undesirable, it's odd that we went into this arc without any characters really having a problem with the city, or even Ai being confused by the place. Still, I do find this arc more interesting than the first, so far. Speaking of Scar, that fake pregnancy thing was odd; I expected that she was getting sick due to the presence of so many deceased, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Cornbread78

Kiriko's birth story was crazy. I really like how we keep getting little pieces of the big story, but I'm still not sure where the story is going. Ai is actually an interesting character as well as the princess and Kiriko. I mean, the anime isn't exciting or amazing, but the story is damn interesting.

Yomidi

Episode 6

While the episode wasn't bad, I can't enjoy this episode that much because I can't bring myself to care about these characters. I find Ai, Kimiko and Ulla boring characters and I can't really care about their stories. Hell, this strong bond that Ai and the princess are supposed to have, we see only 2 minutes of them together and they suddenly are best friends. So yeah, this second arc still didn't do anything for me.
And now I have a question: what's up with all the French? Is the show supposed to take place in France or something? I only noticed in this episode that all the text is in French.

Cornbread78

By a show of hands, how many people here have actually NOT watched Future Diary a.k.a Mirai Nikki?

Lurkers, you answer too dammit, lol.

By a show of hands, how many people here have actually NOT watched Future Diary a.k.a Mirai Nikki?

Lurkers, you answer too dammit, lol.

If you're planning to using that as your next show you should keep in mind that it's longer than 13 episodes and I wouldn't know where to watch it legally.

I think there are a bunch of other shows that I'd like to see over Future Dairy if we're going to break those rules.

We should definitely get rid of the 13 episode rule at some point btw, so many good shows were missing out on.

Yomidi

I remember watching the first two episodes but never got past those. It could be a fun show to watch, especially knowing what's about :p

Cornbread78

If you're planning to using that as your next show you should keep in mind that it's longer than 13 episodes and I wouldn't know where to watch it legally.

I think there are a bunch of other shows that I'd like to see over Future Dairy if we're going to break those rules.

We should definitely get rid of the 13 episode rule at some point btw, so many good shows were missing out on.

We can expand to 24 if it's a good show.

We can expand to 24 if it's a good show.

Cool, does anyone have some suggestions? I kinda wanna recommend Samurai Champloo but I think it's pretty well known already.

Still wouldn't know where to watch it legally worldwide, I mean, this is hurdle number 2 we're going to stumble upon in a while. I guess we should just cut off EU or something after a while.

Cornbread78

Good, appealing to a large demographic and legally accessible (worldwide) seems to be the way to go around here.

Personally I'm looking for some super comfy and relaxing show though, think Non Non Biyori.

Barakamon. That show us great..

Looking for something more action based this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom