• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF "Let's Watch Anime" OT#3: Now Watching: Sunday Without God (9/1-9/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Ah the random academy arc. The worst arc in the entire series. I skimmed through that part,Something new I have noticed how big the fucking van is.
After that, scar leaves, and we get to see how gravekeepers are made, like some kind of demon born in hellfire. The undead in ortus must surely know of way to dispose of them or else they wouldn't survive. And that baby must have the strength of dog to pull Ai like that.
But that all is fine because the gang finds scar and she attains humanity. But if scar can attain humanity, God must be a dick.

Cornbread78

Ok, this could get a little interesting watching See and Alis battle it out. Obviously, it was her wish to set the class up that way, which is why she turns into a ghost back in reality. Well, they have to find a way out now that Jules, Scar and baby went in as well.

Episode 10
Out of a school arc and right back into another one, huh? At least this seems a bit more interesting, but it appears to have nothing to do with the premise of the series, with the deceased specifically being excluded from the town. And it looks like this is the final arc of the series, so talk about wasted potential. The opening scene was pretty dumb in how EDGY it was.

Yomidi

The thing that bugs me the most about this series is that, while the gravekeepers should be the main focus of the show, when do we actually see Ai doing her job as a gravekeeper?

-Ortus looked like it could focus on gravekeepers, but instead we had to see the story about the princess and Kimigo and their BIG friendship with Ai

-The academy arc was pretty much pointless

-The Scar arc, while it did give us some information on how gravekeepers are born, Ai still does nothing as a gravekeeper

And now with the final arc, it still looks like we wont' see anything with Ai as a gravekeeper. Hell, I think the series should have lasted just the first three episodes, which actually had a focus on the gravekeeper aspect and so far has been the best arc.

Episode 11

I wonder why the "canon" language in this show is french.

Anyhow, if those kids could just "wish" the time-loop couldn't Ai just wish that the world is saved (whatever that means). It's just a matter of willpower!

Wouldn't be the first plot-hole in this show, I guess the producers just kinda expected that the viewers would roll with it but aside from this confusing narrative everything else is also either pretentious, edgy or boring.

Can't say I'm a big fan of this.

----------------------------

I didn't understand why they were in the van since they didn't resolve this arc yet

Cornbread78

OK, for once, I was able to follow an episode and understand what was going on and they actually strung together two coherent episodes that are based on the same plot. In the end, I'm guessing we don;t see her actually "save the world" but at least she will try to save Alis and this one class. Poor, tragic, back story for Dee with this one, but she needs to bow down and back-off really quick.

Russ T

Banned
Episode 10
Out of a school arc and right back into another one, huh? At least this seems a bit more interesting, but it appears to have nothing to do with the premise of the series, with the deceased specifically being excluded from the town. And it looks like this is the final arc of the series, so talk about wasted potential. The opening scene was pretty dumb in how EDGY it was.

This is gonna tie into my thoughts while I watched

Episode 11

yo where all the dead people at

won't she just end up being a "deceased" when the world ends, so it's fine right, she can go to ortus, which she know exists

THIS ANIME IS BAD AND I FEEL BAD FOR HAVING WATCHED IT UP TO THIS POINT

only one episode left oh boyyyyyyyy

Okay but for real, I need to know why people like this anime. It got picked for a Let's Watch for some reason, and I kind of feel bad that I've just been shitting all over something people obviously enjoyed enough to want others to see it. I'm just struggling to find anything good to say about it besides "the concept is interesting", which, at this point, I count as a flaw, because at least if the concept for the world wasn't interesting, I might be able to ignore it and focus on the short story arc format...

Cornbread78

Okay but for real, I need to know why people like this anime. It got picked for a Let's Watch for some reason, and I kind of feel bad that I've just been shitting all over something people obviously enjoyed enough to want others to see it. I'm just struggling to find anything good to say about it besides "the concept is interesting", which, at this point, I count as a flaw, because at least if the concept for the world wasn't interesting, I might be able to ignore it and focus on the short story arc format...

I'd have to go searching through the anime thread to find the recs and why we got that one. I think someone referenced it to being the "Dark Souls" of anime, lol. Oh well, it hasn't been that good and a lot of wasted potential. But hey, only 1 episode left, so we'll see what happens in the finale. I'm sure they could not continue the story past this arc, so I'm guess there was ongoing manga/LN for the story and this was to promote it.

The next "Let's Watch" is a very love it or hate it affair, but it is a must experience one, so we'll see how Samurai Flemenco goes.

Yomidi

Episode 11

So basically you can do anything if you wish hard enough? What a wonderful world.
I love when they try to be super deep but fail miserably

JulianImp

Episodes 10 & 11
Man, this show loves forgetting everything about previous arcs as soon as a new one starts. Now we're back to school, Julie and Scar stop doing anything relevant and the story begins to focus on Ai, Allis and Dee, none of which are actually interesting characters at all (hell, I'd say Julie has been the only interesting one so far). So Allis wants to undo the time loop to save his classmates, but Dee wants to prevent that. Then Jjealousy ensues in the final moments of EP11 when Dee sees Allis enjoying himself while playing basketball with Ai...

Episode 12
This show died like it lived: Having an overly short attention span and focusing on all the wrong characters and plot points. We experience a twist ending where Allis was the one who had died (which was rather obvious with how his classmates talked about the death with Dee), then a pseudo-emotive scene where the kids leave their friend behind, then a bittersweet romantic scene where Allis ends up pushing Ai away and out of the reality marble after they embraced each other for a bit.

Then Ai goes visit Allis's grave... and Allis's there with her because she had saved him somehow. Okay.

Closing thoughts
Sadly, I've got to say that this show has been one of the worse ones I've watched in a while... The world concept was interesting, but then the story focuses on everything but the dead people. In the end, God had merely gotten a bit playful and decided to grant everybody's wishes like a djinni would, resulting in people getting what they wanted and realizing that it wasn't all that great in the end.

The show could've elaborated more on the apathy that might come from living forever, or on people who might've decided to commit suicide to conserve a young and more vigorous outside appearance, or on blaming God for granting wishes willy-nilly, or on why gravekeepers were needed and happened to be created in groups of hundreds or thousands of identical clones, or on why Scar ended up becoming more human, or on why Ai's mom was unique and was able to have a child with Humpty (if all people needed to have a kid was to wish hard enough for it, then why wouldn't there be more children out there?).

I also hated how every single plot arc was completely forgotten after it was over. Ai barely remembered her father after EP3, then she only mentioned the princess/goddess of death once right after her arc was over, then the school and her classmates stopped mattering after they were all dropped off at a girl's house, and finally even Julie and Scar stopped mattering for the final arc.

To me, Ai was an awful protagonist that didn't make any sense, and it's weird how the show failed to elaborate on her overly positive way of thinking. I would've been fine with the show addressing it but ultimately deciding that people like her are needed to make others' lives brighter (people need 愛!), or if it would've condemned her by showing that being overly trusting and nice to others can end up harming you at times. Instead, she was always nice and good and helped everyone by cheering them on, and that was all. Whatever.

Actually, I think I would've been okay with the show being a mini-series that ended at EP3, since the route the story chose to follow afterwards wasn't interesting at all to me.

Episode 12

Wait how was Allis saved??????????????????????????????????????

Why is Dee a ghost if she didn't die?????????????????????????????

Why did I watch this show????????????????????????

Anyhow, let's just check this show of on our good friend MAL and be done with it.

3YOYRt3.png

Almost done, but hey, wait a minute...............

fRnqKsG.png

GUESS WE AREN'T DONE WITH THIS FILTH

So let's look these specials up, I don't care anymore, maybe this will give me the closure that the original series didn't give, what deep plot development, interesting dialougue and high quality animation will await us?

-------------------------------

Specials

I'M DONE

-----------------------------------

Closing thoughts

The OP, ED and this guy

Were the only redeeming qualities of this whole show.

Overall: Waste of my time
Will I recommend this to anyone: No
Will I blame Cornbread for letting me watch this: Maybe

Yomidi

Episode 12

Yeah, the show doesn't care. It doesn't explain a thing.
If Dee didn't die why the hell was she a ghost? What, she just wished for it? And how did Ai save Alis? She just wished for him to be saved?

Closing Thoughts
Well, the idea was interesting. The execution? Hell no.
Except for Julie, the other characters were just boring and not interesting.
The OP and ED were pretty nice but other than that, I wouldn't recommend this series.
I'm kinda interested on why did people vote for this series, it seemed that many liked this series so I would like to know why.
Well, the only thing I can say now is......SAVE US SAMURAI FLAMENCO!

Hey, wait, what? NMF! It was an AnimeGAF rec., lol.

Then I'll blame everyone who didn't stop us from watching this.

There's just nothing to it, idunno why anyone would like this. And I think this opinion is shared with everyone who's watching this at the moment.

Well, at the end of the day, nothing wrong with watching some filth to be able to better appreciate the things that aren't filth, at least that's what I try to tell myself to justify this total waste of time.

When is the next thread going to be up?

John Blade

Man....just reading everyone impression, I guess I will drop the show completely as they isn't much for me to go watch it now. If you guys want to watch a bad show together (like you need to), would recommend watching Divergence Eve and the sequel for this show. Did an impression of the show here and really, it's bad in couple of area. If you manage to watch the sequel, you will hate yourself even more. Still, if anyone want to do Let's watch a bad anime show, that is my contender.

You can watch it streaming on hulu if anyone care.
http://www.hulu.com/divergence-eve

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Episode 10
So we entered the painted world of Ariamis and everything seems totally fine. But before that we need some more edgelord stuff.

episode 11[/11
So dee is the witch that controls Za Warudo and believes she can make everyone live in the blissful fog of ignorance. Lol, as if Ai will allow that. Maybe the world is better off without Dee.

Episode 12
Oh boy the last episode. We finally break the cycle and we dont relight the fi- I mean, we kill Dee and break free from the fake world. Now to live in the real world.
Victory Achieved?

I give it 5/10 humanities. Its truly the Dark Souls of anime, and I dont like that because Darksouls has pretty plotholed filled plot. Boy did this anime seem a lot better when I didnt watch it.

Now back to playing Dark Souls.

Cornbread78

Then I'll blame everyone who didn't stop us from watching this.

There's just nothing to it, idunno why anyone would like this. And I think this opinion is shared with everyone who's watching this at the moment.

Well, at the end of the day, nothing wrong with watching some filth to be able to better appreciate the things that aren't filth, at least that's what I try to tell myself to justify this total waste of time.

When is the next thread going to be up?

Lol,the Samurai Flemenco thread goes up on Monday. I can't wait to watch the final episode tonight after the other 20 shows.

Episode 11-12
OK, so Dee died (before the "don't die" wish was made, I guess), so that's why she's a ghost.

But wait, she didn't die, it was Alis that died, so she's a ghost because... huh?

And Alis knew he was dead, and thus must have been spreading bulletins saying he was dead in episode 11, but I guess neither Ai nor Dee actually read whose name was on it. And Dee was still manipulating people in the real world to kill each other, a statement she made that gets totally glossed over. Alis says that his body was buried by a gravekeeper, so he must be a ghost like Dee but he can physically interact with stuff, and being buried by a gravekeeper should put your soul at rest, and and and somehow he's still around in the end and I don't know. And why is Ulla in a dress that she never wears in the opening toward the end?!

What even was this series?

Cornbread78

Wow, that ending used themes from both Clannad and Angel Beats to finish things off. I mean, the story was still interesting and sad in a way. I mean, you can tell why Ai was upset being used like that and yet again. However, after the ED and credits what was up with that final scene? It again ruins what could have been a decent moment with that... The writer didn't know what the hell kind of story he wanted to tell throughout this series and created so many contridictions it drove me crazy. The setting, characters and world were all pretty good. Yes, even naive, little Ai wasn't that bad, but the way the story was told.... ugh.

Russ T

Banned
Oh yeah I finally watched

Episode 12

I have nothing good to say about this. Everything JulianImp said is everything I was going to say.

I haven't finished an anime this bad in a long time. D:

Linkark07

Banned
After reading everyone's thoughts about this anime, it seems I dodged a bullet... again.

Samurai Flamenco, that's one I have been interested in watch for a while.

Cornbread78

After reading everyone's thoughts about this anime, it seems I dodged a bullet... again.

Samurai Flamenco, that's one I have been interested in watch for a while.

LOL, yeah, probably. A lot of missed opportunities with Sunday Without God... Samurai Flemenco gets pretty crazy from what I've heard, so we will see what happens...

dluu13

After reading the impressions I kind of wish I kept with it so I could share your discontent with this series. I stopped at episode 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom