• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF March 8th/11th Caucus Thread (Wyoming + Mississippi = OBAMATON)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karma Kramer said:
Lets say she barely passes Obama in the popular vote... like by a couple thousands or a couple tens of thousands... or fuck even a couple hundred thousands.

How will it be justifiably when Obama has a clear lead in delegates? Super-delegates are slowly going to Obama... cause they know he is the nominee. They know that at this point giving their support to Hillary and turning this race around would be suicidal for the Democratic Party.

Not if Hillary puts Obama on the ticket...

Atrus

Gold Member
Cheebs said:
I agree. But this week has been bad bad bad for Obama. His worst this campaign.

It was losing first and now the media is claiming his campaign is a big mess with people contradicting eachother and making wild claims.

I know GAF thinks todays big story is +4 delegates in California, but it's not. It's the monster comment.

Why is this meaningful? Obama will still lead in the delegates and every time she under-performs 60-40 wins in every state, or does worse than a 55-45 in PA, loses a super-delegate, or has an uncommitted super-delegate to Obama the worse her position is.

Outside of the math, her failure as a candidate coupled with the perfidy of her conduct means she needs no attention. What enables the media, are the one's who eat it up and makes something out of nothing.

She could win, but at this point there's little justification as to why she should win.

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
if he loses then she picks up even more votes which makes her amount grow higher.

He has ZERO in Michigan right now. So if there's a do-over, and he's on the ballot, he will gain ground in the overall popular vote.

Illustration -

Currently

Clinton - 328,151
Obama - 0

Imaginary future situation

Clinton 400,000
Obama - 350,000

Even if Clinton increases her vote, and wins, Obama gains in the overall popular vote. Clinton would have to utterly blow Obama out of the water there for him to lose ground in the popular vote. Not going to happen.

And even without that, I doubt he'll cede much ground overall. Outside of PA, he's going to win plenty of states, and some by very large margins (Mississippi).

Jesus, Gary Hart just laid the smack down over at HuffPo:

It will come as a surprise to many people that there are rules in politics. Most of those rules are unwritten and are based on common understandings, acceptable practices, and the best interest of the political party a candidate seeks to lead. One of those rules is this: Do not provide ammunition to the opposition party that can be used to destroy your party's nominee. This is a hyper-truth where the presidential contest is concerned.

By saying that only she and John McCain are qualified to lead the country, particularly in times of crisis, Hillary Clinton has broken that rule, severely damaged the Democratic candidate who may well be the party's nominee, and, perhaps most ominously, revealed the unlimited lengths to which she will go to achieve power. She has essentially said that the Democratic party deserves to lose unless it nominates her....

If Mrs. Clinton loses the nomination, her failure will be traced to the date she voted to empower George W. Bush to invade Iraq. That is not the kind of judgment, or wisdom, required by the leader answering the phone in the night. For her now to claim that Senator Obama is not qualified to answer the crisis phone is the height of irony if not chutzpah, and calls into question whether her primary loyalty is to the Democratic party and the nation or to her own ambition.

Cheebs

grandjedi6 said:
:lol :lol

So the non-believers became the insane Obama fans? :lol
Its hilarious to see those with Obama avatars in there bashing Obama. :lol Incognito said was a incompetent senator or something.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The proportional delegate system is obviously flawed and will be revised before 2012 to avert another fiasco. The delegate count is not some sacred talisman written into the Constitution by the Founding Fathers, like the Electoral College. If Sen. Clinton wins the popular vote (as Cheebs said, unlikely but not impossible) based on winning the large, important blue states, is within a few percentage points of the delegate count, and has the 'momentum,' she has a good argument to make to the superdelegates to choose her over Sen. Obama. I can envision this happening without the world ending.

APF

Cheebs, I like you but I think all this is going to give you an aneurysm. There's still a long row to hoe.

Cheebs

GhaleonEB said:
He has ZERO in Michigan right now. So if there's a do-over, and he's on the ballot, he will gain ground in the overall popular vote.

Illustration -

Currently

Clinton - 328,151
Obama - 0

Clinton 400,000
Obama - 350,000

Even if Clinton increases her vote, and wins, Obama gains in the overall popular vote. Clinton would have to utterly blow Obama out of the water there for him to lose ground in the popular vote. Not going to happen.

And even without that, I doubt he'll cede much ground overall. Outside of PA, he's going to win plenty of states, and some by very large margins (Mississippi).

Uh...her current MI votes aren't counted in any popular vote tally.

It's currently:
Clinton - 0
Obama - 0

APF said:
Cheebs, I like you but I think all this is going to give you an aneurysm. There's still a long row to hoe.
It probably will.

syllogism

Guileless said:
The proportional delegate system is obviously flawed and will be revised before 2012 to avert another fiasco. The delegate count is not some sacred talisman written into the Constitution by the Founding Fathers, like the Electoral College. If Sen. Clinton wins the popular vote (as Cheebs said, unlikely but not impossible) based on winning the large, important blue states, is within a few percentage points of the delegate count, and has the 'momentum,' she has a good argument to make to the superdelegates to choose her over Sen. Obama. I can envision this happening without the world ending.

It's an argument certainly. Would it be good enough? That depends on the pledged delegate gap. Alternatively it might be convincing if Obama's electability has seriously suffered by then.

Cheebs said:
Its hilarious to see those with Obama avatars in there bashing Obama. :lol Incognito said was a incompetent senator or something.

"Ineffective" was the word.

I became an Obama convert around April 07.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
APF: Is the issue that Obama and Clinton are using absolute phrases instead of conditional ones? Like they're saying "I will..." when they really mean "Barring external events changing our plans, I intend to..."?

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
Uh...her current MI votes aren't counted in any popular vote tally.

It's currently:
Clinton - 0
Obama - 0
It's counted in the one she's been touting, which is the argument she's using to try and presuade supers. Which was the premise of your comment.

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:

Illustration -

Currently

Clinton - 328,151
Obama - 0

Clinton 400,000
Obama - 350,000

What of the following states does he look to win?

WY (O)
MS (O)
PA (C)
IN
NC
SD
MT
WV
KY
OR

People here have been saying that Indiana and Oregon are his states. How's it look in North Carolina? Would he have the same margins or close to it he had in South Carolina? And would his gains in North Dakota translate to gains in South Dakota?

Atrus

Gold Member
Karma Kramer said:
Wow Hillary playing the gender card in WY.

She's been playing the gender card for a while, and she can get away with it because of the perception disparity between asking that a woman get placed in the white house than asking that for a black.

What I don't like about her sexist appeal though is that it appeals to derogatory generalizations, especially when she asked women the following:

"Now, I think we need somebody whose got some experience cleaning house to go into the White House,” she said to cheers. “So, I might ask you to grab your brooms and your mops, your vacuum cleaners and come on up and help me out.""

Atrus said:
"Now, I think we need somebody whose got some experience cleaning house to go into the White House,” she said to cheers. “So, I might ask you to grab your brooms and your mops, your vacuum cleaners and come on up and help me out.""

holy shit, tell me the media jumped all over that one?

that's A LOT more inflammatory than an advisor calling her a monster

Rur0ni

AniHawk said:

WY (O)
MS (O)
PA (C)
IN
NC
SD
MT
WV
KY
OR

People here have been saying that Indiana and Oregon are his states. How's it look in North Carolina? Would he have the same margins or close to it he had in South Carolina? And would his gains in North Dakota translate to gains in South Dakota?

WY (O)
MS (O)
PA (C)
IN (Swing)
NC (O)
SD (O)
MT (O)
WV (C)
KY (C)
OR (O)

3 Clinton, 6 Obama, 1 Swing. PA being a possible upset win for Obama. At this stage anyway, 5 weeks from now he can magically be the front runner in that state and when Clinton takes it it's an upset.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:

WY (O)
MS (O)
PA (C)
IN (O)
NC (O)
SD
MT
WV
KY
OR

North Carolina

Edit: see above.

AniHawk

Rur0ni said:
WY (O)
MS (O)
PA (C)
IN (Swing)
NC (O)
SD (O)
MT (O)
WV (C)
KY (C)
OR (O)

3 Clinton, 6 Obama, 1 Swing. PA being a possible upset win for Obama. At this stage anyway, 5 weeks from now he can magically be the front runner in that state and when Clinton takes it it's an upset.

I'm worried about what PA could do to perception if he loses big there. It's the first primary after next Tuesday, and it's the last one for about two weeks.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Eh, I take white papers as statements of intent. They're all subject to change due to external events and going through the Congressional sausage-maker, but they're still useful guides to the candidates' positions.

If Clinton and Obama want to withhold the right to change the rate of withdrawal from Iraq because facts on the ground change, I'm okay with that. It would be an issue for me if they were secretly planning to continue the war at the current levels indefinitely.

Cheebs

AniHawk said:
I'm worried about what PA could do to perception if he loses big there. It's the first primary after next Tuesday, and it's the last one for about two weeks.
PA is the new Iowa as the media likes to say.

Rur0ni

AniHawk said:
Well to be honest, it's gonna be hard to judge anything regarding PA until the week before the primary. Hell, Texas just showed that all ya need is 3 days to make a difference. So make that April 19-20th. ;)

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
It's a long ways away, so I think he'll close the gap, but not win it. He'll be coming off two wins in the meantime. Two weeks later even more delegates are up for grabs in states he's likely to win. Hillary - and the media - are framing PA as the big showdown, but the next round is even bigger.

LOL @ his facial expression:

s-POWERS-RESIGNS-large.jpg

syllogism

I really don't think he can close the gap (10-15%), barring a Hillary blunder.

Hillary whining about caucuses right now in a town hall meeting. Apparently Obama supporters are caucus veterans. Downplaying her chances.

syllogism said:

Hillary whining about caucuses right now in a town hall meeting. Apparently Obama supporters are caucus veterans.

is she whining about caucuses in WY?

David Plouffe attacks Hillary Clinton again, this time HARD:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensm...open_and_honest_with_the_American_people.html

"Behind closed doors, they're trying to prevent the American people from evaluating [Clinton's White House] experience," he said. "You have to wonder whether she'll be open and honest with the American people as president."

He also noted, again, that Clinton doesn't need to wait until April 15 to release the last six years of tax returns.

Clinton is "one of the most secretive politicians in America today," he said.

AniHawk

syllogism said:

Hillary whining about caucuses right now in a town hall meeting. Apparently Obama supporters are caucus veterans.

That's okay. She can have her supporters just steal his votes later.

APF

I think it's significant when you claim he's a far-left Manchurian Candidate, and in actuality when pressed his people are all, "no really if anything he'll be further to the right." This of course will become more apparent as we enter into the General Election and he swings back to the center. As I've said repeatedly today, there's a consistent message coming from his camp, and it's, "we're basically full of hot air; pay no attention to this garbage we're spewing, we don't even believe it ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom