• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Slot Cloggers (NHL 12 EASHL)

Marvie_3

Banned
So close to demo release....but getting so tired.....I'll probably just pass out and get mad at all the changes tomorrow

jzBmOnmUwgix.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
Quoting my NHL 13 demo impressions from the other thread:

+Skating feels excellent. Still a little too easy to stop & start but the superhuman agility shit from years past seems to be fixed for the most part.
+Pucks get deflected/intercepted far more than they did in 12. Cross crease passes are much harder to do and you can't force passes through half a dozen players like you could in NHL 12.
+Poke checks actually work. Knocking the puck away from a player is much easier. It's actually possible to play defense now.
+Puck control has been turned way down. No more skating through 5 guys and still hanging on to the puck.
+Passing is improved. It doesn't take nearly as long to charge up a pass.
+Goalies are very solid. Still get a little wonky after a rebound but they improved quite a bit. You have to work for goals now. They poke check really well if you get in close and slap shot cheese goals don't seem nearly as effective.
+Short side cheese goals (big problem in NHL 12) seem to be gone. (Sorry Red_Man. Now you'll never score)
+One timers aren't gimmes anymore. When a puck does manage to get through, it doesn't go in 100% of the time.
+A.I. is much better. CPU players still do some stupid shit but they're a lot better at reading players and being in position.
+After whistle shit is gone so you don't have to deal with a bunch of fuckin mouthbreathers running your goalie all game. Cuts down on unintentional fights too.
+Graphics and presentation are greatly improved. Arenas look much better. Game is beautiful.
+Menus don't seem to be the laggy, shitty mess they were before. It's only the demo so they might still be terrible in the full version.

?Playing goalie feels a little better in some ways and a little worse in others. I'll have to spend more time with it before I can fully judge it.

-Found an exploit goal in less than 10 minutes in the free skate. Already passed along the info to one of the EA guys on their forum so hopefully they can try to do something about it.
-Hitting still doesn't feel quite right. It's easier to hit guys than it was in NHL 12 but guys still bounce off of checks too often. Other times you'll get flattened after barely getting touched.
-Passes occasionally go to the wrong player or in the wrong direction
-Board play is still shitty, probably worse than it was in 12
-Goalie interference calls are still as broken as they were in 12
-Still the same recycled commentary from years past with a few new lines sprinkled in
-Soundtrack is fucking atrocious as always. Will be putting in all custom music as I do every year.

Stat!

Spent about an hour and a half with the NHL 13 demo and figured I'd post impressions up to this point:

+Skating feels excellent. Still a little too easy to stop & start but the superhuman agility shit from years past seems to be fixed for the most part.
+Pucks get deflected/intercepted far more than they did in 12. Cross crease passes are much harder to do and you can't force passes through half a dozen players like you could in NHL 12.
+Poke checks actually work. Knocking the puck away from a player is much easier. It's actually possible to play defense now.
+Puck control has been turned way down. No more skating through 5 guys and still hanging on to the puck.
+Passing is improved. It doesn't take nearly as long to charge up a pass.
+Goalies are very solid. Still get a little wonky after a rebound but they improved quite a bit. You have to work for goals now. They poke check really well if you get in close and slap shot cheese goals don't seem nearly as effective.
+Short side cheese goals (big problem in NHL 12) seem to be gone. (Sorry Red_Man. Now you'll never score)
+One timers aren't gimmes anymore. When a puck does manage to get through, it doesn't go in 100% of the time.
+A.I. is much better. CPU players still do some stupid shit but they're a lot better at reading players and being in position.
+After whistle shit is gone so you don't have to deal with a bunch of fuckin mouthbreathers running your goalie all game. Cuts down on unintentional fights too.
+Graphics and presentation are greatly improved. Arenas look much better. Game is beautiful.
+Menus don't seem to be the laggy, shitty mess they were before. It's only the demo so they might still be terrible in the full version.

?Playing goalie feels a little better in some ways and a little worse in others. I'll have to spend more time with it before I can fully judge it.

-Found an exploit goal in less than 10 minutes in the free skate. Already passed along the info to one of the EA guys on their forum so hopefully they can try to do something about it.
-Hitting still doesn't feel quite right. It's easier to hit guys than it was in NHL 12 but guys still bounce off of checks too often. Other times you'll get flattened after barely getting touched.
-Passes occasionally go to the wrong player or in the wrong direction
-Board play is still shitty, probably worse than it was in 12
-Goalie interference calls are still as broken as they were in 12
-Still the same recycled commentary from years past with a few new lines sprinkled in
-Soundtrack is fucking atrocious as always. Will be putting in all custom music as I do every year.

Gotta say, I like what I've played so far. It's by no means perfect, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Great impressions and glad to see its a lot harder to score but the game is overall better. Looking back, NHL 12 was such a disappointment from NHL 11. I won't be able to play the demo for 4 days but my anticipation is killing me.

Marv, do you feel, that "figure skating" can be easily exploited or is puck control really hampered? It's one of my worries especially with OTP.

I'm glad to hear the AI/goalies are much better than before. Do you notice a difference in attributes? Like when Kopitar/Doughty/Kovalchuk are on the ice versus some of the 4th line guys?

theRizzle

I'm glad to hear the AI/goalies are much better than before. Do you notice a difference in attributes? Like when Kopitar/Doughty/Kovalchuk are on the ice versus some of the 4th line guys?

In one of the games I played I passed the puck off the boards behind the two Kings defensemen and Kovalchuck split them and picked it up pretty easily. Maybe easily isn't the right word but I was surprised at how much quicker he seemed than the other guys on the ice.

Marvie_3

Banned
Marv, do you feel, that "figure skating" can be easily exploited or is puck control really hampered? It's one of my worries especially with OTP.

Puck control is much lower than it was in 12. You can lose the puck really easily and you can't skate through a group of people and keep control of the puck.

The only thing I can see being abused is the ease of stopping/starting with the LT. Once the game is out, I'm sure people with find new ways to exploit things though.

Milly79

Apparently LT in a shootout is an instant goal right now? They've already said it's going to be fixed in a tuner update when the game launches.

Izick

Been playing the NHL 13 demo and it feels really solid. Can't write up as anything in-depth as Marv, but it just felt a bit more realistic than before, especially the passing for some reason. I felt like that passing can get broken up a lot more easier than in 12'.

Whenever someone asks me "why do you think Madden always sucks?" I can always point to this, FIFA, NBA 2K, and The Show as sports games that always continue to improve upon themselves every single year. Good stuff. Makes me wish the Madden guys gave a fuck.

moop1167

Fucking computer doing the NHL12 glitch coming from behind the net and shooting far side lol.

dat left trigger... good lord this literally makes the puck on the string and no one can touch you. Can't wait to see this in use in EASHL... fuck.

this demo is fucking terrible and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for praising this turd of a game.

I'm downloading it now... and getting ready to play it for the 1st time

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Presentation is a lot nicer and slicker, pretty much everything has been upgraded, and looks like an improvement / more realistic aside from the hitting. Pretty excited to see all this in EASHL, teamwork is going to be a lot more important. None of this figuring skating bullshit anymore.

Marvie_3

Banned
Presentation is a lot nicer and slicker, pretty much everything has been upgraded, and looks like an improvement / more realistic aside from the hitting. Pretty excited to see all this in EASHL, teamwork is going to be a lot more important. None of this figuring skating bullshit anymore.

Yeah! None of your cherry picking either!

Red_Man

The curl drag / snipe glitch seems to be dealt with for the most part. I only got it to work once, and I think it deflected off a defender.

zsswimmer

Well I must be terrible cause I don't think I scored one time in free skate mode. Seriously though, even when the goalie was down I shot it over the crossbar, wtf.

I like the feel of the game though, and stick checking seems much more appropriate. I was shutting AI fools down on defense

Marvie_3

Banned
I always found that the cherry pickers are always LWers, I find myself doing it as well whenever I play as LW.
I usually sit somewhere between the top of the circle and the blue line when I'm playing LW. If the defenders are stupid and leave the left half of the ice open, I'll move up a little, but I try to hang back as an outlet.

The curl drag / snipe glitch seems to be dealt with for the most part. I only got it to work once, and I think it deflected off a defender.
I got it to work once in the 20-25 times I tried it.

the devs really outdid themselves with this one

this has gotta be the 1st year ever where the NHL skating engine is better than Madden's

Madden has a skating engine?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
the devs really outdid themselves with this one

this has gotta be the 1st year ever where the NHL skating engine is better than Madden's

You're saying Madden 12 had a better skating engine than NHL 12? That's quite the statement to make.

EDIT: Beaten, damn you Marvie.

I usually sit somewhere between the top of the circle and the blue line when I'm playing LW. If the defenders are stupid and leave the left half of the ice open, I'll move up a little, but I try to hang back as an outlet.

I got it to work once in the 20-25 times I tried it.

Madden has a skating engine?

You're saying Madden 12 had a better skating engine than NHL 12? That's quite the statement to make.

EDIT: Beaten, damn you Marvie.

goddamn you people most not play much Madden, the players slide all over the place, might as well be skating...

Red_Man

Well I must be terrible cause I don't think I scored one time in free skate mode. Seriously though, even when the goalie was down I shot it over the crossbar, wtf.

I like the feel of the game though, and stick checking seems much more appropriate. I was shutting AI fools down on defense
Really? Seems to me like the goalies are out pretty far in the shootouts, more so then before, pretty easy to deke them and slip it behind.

goddamn you people most not play much Madden, the players slide all over the place, might as well be skating...

Seriously. The fact that you guys don't know Madden plays like Nancy Kerrigan's Figure Skating Sim makes me think you know less about football than the "B" team knows about hockey.

Viz, I appreciated your hilarious and poignant commentary. Tip of the hat, old chap.

Red_Man

Seriously. The fact that you guys don't know Madden plays like Nancy Kerrigan's Figure Skating Sim makes me think you know less about football than the "B" team knows about hockey.
Difference is we aren't going into the Madden thread claiming we can kick their ass at Madden.

Top Bottom