• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

b.e.r.g

I've been drooling over this one lately:

15g6lo2.jpg

Tag-Heuer Monaco

So I though I'd check it out at a retailer... DAAAMN! I was expecting something around 500€ or maybe a little more, but not 4400€! WTF!? :( I'll just keep being watch-less then QQ

abq

I'm thinking about buying a Stowa Antea, but I'm not sure whether to buy the 36.5mm or 39mm. My wrists are quite small (16cm/6.3"). Would the 390 be too big?

Bananimus

abq said:
I'm thinking about buying a Stowa Antea, but I'm not sure whether to buy the 36.5mm or 39mm. My wrists are quite small (16cm/6.3"). Would the 390 be too big?
I wear a 40mm Stowa Flieger (6.75" wrist), which looks normal. I'd imagine that the Antea wears smaller, though; it's pretty thin. Both sizes should be OK, probably.

Stowa makes some sweet watches. I really want an Antea or Marine Original...

abq

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the smaller one at the moment. I think the smaller size makes it more suitable as a dress watch.

Brera

Banned
Today I'm sporting my Kobold Spirit of America. Sometimes it does look a bit simple but it has a hefty badass watch and pretty rare in the UK!

DSCF0028.jpg

Guevara

First... Dat Back:

MLB12184371.jpg

and the front:

L12184371a.jpg

I was looking for something oversized with a mechanical (wound) movement and mineral glass (front and back). Especially since they are giving these things away in favor of the new, all silver model.

Brera

Banned
Nice classy watch to start you off but trust me, watches are like Gurran Lagann. You start off small and end up spending epic amounts!

Just got one of these:

TZerJP259980is999x769.jpg

It's what I've always wanted but I know 12-18 months down the line, the urge for something new will return...!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
P3062034.jpg

P3062030.jpg

Probably not near as nice as some of you guy's timepieces, but my gf got me this automatic fossil for my birthday. You can see the movement through the bottom too.

Question, WatchGAF:

Are Swatches considered "classy"? I'm really new to watches, so I really don't know anything. :lol

I like the slim look they give off, so I was considering finding a nice one if it's considered "classy" by watch enthusiast standards.

this is my watch, the nixon dictator

the-dictator.jpg

it's pretty cheeeep compared to some of the others in this thread :lol but i love the brass colour & red leds, and the square styling. best thing is the grill is actually a functional recording microphone with playback :D

Mr_Appleby said:
this is my watch, the nixon dictator

the-dictator.jpg

it's pretty cheeeep compared to some of the others in this thread :lol but i love the brass colour & red leds, and the square styling. best thing is the grill is actually a functional recording microphone with playback :D

ivioeh.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
I just bought me a new clock to put on my work desk and I think it's pretty neat. I like the simple design of it. Diameter is 12 cm and it's ceramic. Costed 60€ so not really that expensive either.
2qdyetw.png

... I know it isn't a wristwatch but I wanted to show off my new purchase :b

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice Clock! Where did you get it?

Galactic Quail said:
Question, WatchGAF:

Are Swatches considered "classy"? I'm really new to watches, so I really don't know anything. :lol

I like the slim look they give off, so I was considering finding a nice one if it's considered "classy" by watch enthusiast standards.
Swatches are standard fare, nothing to do wrong with it, albeit they are a bit boring IMHO.

Cereal KiIIer said:
OnkelC:

500$
Brown leather strap
sporty (like my tag aquaracer)
Large bezel

Give me some suggestions!
you didn't say the magic word

Sanskrit

Machado said:
Casio Illuminator: I had a girlfriend about 10 years ago. she gave me this watch. the relationship may not have lasted long but this watch HAS. not too big, not too small it's perfect for my swimming (I swim 4-5 days a week) current price: $20. conclusion: The watch is a diehard, I haven't changed the battery in ten years.
CasioIlluminator.jpg
*my watch is just slightly different but I couldn't find a pic.

Omg, I used to wear that watch! It's probably hiding in a drawer somewhere... would be nice to know if it still works!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Peru, congrats! You'll enjoy it for a long time!

Cereal KiIIer said:
"sporty" and leater strap don't mix too well, maybe something along the line of a Fifty Fathoms reissue/hommage?
prs50b3.jpg

OnkelC said:
"sporty" and leater strap don't mix too well, maybe something along the line of a Fifty Fathoms reissue/hommage?

First of all, I'm in love with this:
edox_chronoffshore.jpg

Also, I guess a watch like this (with a rubber strap) could still looks good with a black leather strap. What do you think?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cereal KiIIer said:
First of all, I'm in love with this:
edox_chronoffshore.jpg

Also, I guess a watch like this (with a rubber strap) could still looks good with a black leather strap. What do you think?
That's irrelevant, YOU should like it because you will wear it:D
There are plenty of aftermarket straps available, maybe visit your local jeweller and have a look? It's no problem to retrofit a new strap to a watch as the lug widths are standardized.

BrettWeir

Here is my baby. My Grandfather got this in the 60s or 70s, back when he was a Colonel in the USAF and handed it down to my father when he joined the USAF. My father handed it down to me in 1996.

Unfortunately, one of the links has broken. Will have it in for repair soon.

Rolex GMT Master

sl7klh.jpg

2dky1c3.jpg

13za7oi.jpg

10wlj77.jpg

The broken band showing the Rolex stamp they no longer do:

2m7amte.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
umop_3pisdn said:
I want one of these

that looked pretty sweet, but I reckon its mad useless as a way of figuring out the time.

" you said the train arrived 17.23 , what time is it now ? "
" 17....tweeeeeentyyyy....uhm "

BrettWeir

cwmartin said:
Hows the renown on Invicta watches? Gilt has a sale next Monday and thinking about diving in if theres one I like.

They are a mixed bag. If you go over to Watchuseek.com, search Invicta on the forums. They seem very spotty in terms of performance and have some of the worst customer support around.

**Edit: Here's one thread discussing Invicta you should read.**
http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=232067

What is your price range? What style are you looking for?

I know this is a wristwatch thread but I'm interested in picking up an antique style pocketwatch. I did a search on eBay and they are selling a ton of fobwatches. All from Hong Kong and most of them for under $10. I assume these are no good.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to pick up a quality timepiece? Thanks!

Dead Man

Guevara said:
First... Dat Back:

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/MLB12184371.jpg[IMG]

and the front:

[IMG]http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L12184371a.jpg[IMG]

I was looking for something oversized with a mechanical (wound) movement and mineral glass (front and back). Especially since they are [URL="http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Swiss-Army-Ambassador-Mens-XL-Mechanical-Manual-Wind-Watch/4186468/product.html?rcmndsrc=4"]giving these things away[/URL] in favor of the new, all silver model.[/QUOTE]
Missed this post, but that is a damn nice looking watch.

KingOfSoap

Neo Member
MG_5297.JPG

I got the left one, great watch, saw it in Wired magazine and instantly wanted it. Got 2 Seiko's two, but they are soo boring compared to this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Onkel,

I'm looking for a nice casual watch. Something low-key but unique and not too gadgety-looking but durable enough I could play basketball and run in it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
AstroLad said:
Onkel,

I'm looking for a nice casual watch. Something low-key but unique and not too gadgety-looking but durable enough I could play basketball and run in it.
what's your price range? I'd suggest a G-Shock for those pesky tasks:
smallP1040012.jpg

xMk2x

Banned
CiSTM said:
I just bought me a new clock to put on my work desk and I think it's pretty neat. I like the simple design of it. Diameter is 12 cm and it's ceramic. Costed 60€ so not really that expensive either.
2qdyetw.png

... I know it isn't a wristwatch but I wanted to show off my new purchase :b
I like the concept of this clock but it bothers me that the five minute interval marks don't streak through to the back of the clock. And I would have also had the numbers themselves bleed back. Still, I like it. But not as much as this badass motherfucker:

OnkelC said:
The Nixie Queen has arrived! Such a beauty:
P10409591024x768.jpg
Where? How much?

edit: Okay, nevermind. I should've known that OnkelC and timepieces would equal too much money. :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Do you guys think any of the special ops MTM watches have radium in them or have they been banned in watches for years now?

10203-zoom.jpg
they use tritium encapsulated in glass vials, no risk of radiation. Paint-on Tritium has been replaced by phosphorous Luminova several years ago.

EDIT: just visited the site, they use a little lamp, like in digital quartz watches. no auto-luminescence at all...

OnkelC said:
they use tritium encapsulated in glass vials, no risk of radiation. Paint-on Tritium has been replaced by phosphorous Luminova several years ago.

EDIT: just visited the site, they use a little lamp, like in digital quartz watches. no auto-luminescence at all...

Thanks a lot. I've had that watch for years now, and I saw something on TV a few days ago about radium. I could've sworn I read something about radon being in my watch awhile back.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Thanks a lot. I've had that watch for years now, and I saw something on TV a few days ago about radium. I could've sworn I read something about radon being in my watch awhile back.
Radium-based luminous materials were abandoned for watchmaking in the mid-1960s, so the risk of radium in your watch would be low:D

The few watches that use tritium vials for luminescence nowadays are completely safe to use.

Top Bottom