• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF will always respect women/racial minorities/lgbt

7threst

People keep going on about how this is good for gaf and they are just here for the games. When all the best posters are gone or leaving I have to wonder what you're all so happy about.

This. Quite sad really, I've loved GAF for years, also because of the posters. That is now over :(

BBboy20

You have people posting about how they can't wait to finally speak their minds and it's gonna be great now that all the "SJWs" are gone, so I doubt it.

Yeah, I'm getting some bad vibes from reading some of these posts. Hopefully the mods will make it clear over the coming days / weeks that this place won't become a haven for alt right types, like almost every major gaming forum on the internet has become.

If we're going to talk about reason I joined GAF, it was sales age. While there were the usual fanboy arguments there were a few select posters who I absolutely adored reading their opinions and now they are all gone.

geordiemp

Yeah, I'm getting some bad vibes from reading some of these posts. Hopefully the mods will make it clear over the coming days / weeks that this place won't become a haven for alt right types, like almost every major gaming forum on the internet has become.

Man, there are just allot of gamers who, like me, only posted in games threads only because eveything else on GAF ended being a witchunt.

Its tiresome, your either far left or far right, for us or against us, most people are just normal.

You need to get out to the pub more often, the internet can be hyperbolic at times, 13 year old kids saying stupid things but in normal life they are not so bad.

Yeah, I didn't want to assume about you and the message was also more of a general one to anyone who happened to read it. Maybe you're right about the age thing but I'm also a parent and seeing regressive values rising up pisses me off so I don't want to shut up about these issues at all.

Personally I've never felt GAF was a safe space, more of an adult place removed from the juvenile teen idiocy that plagues rest of the gaming forums. The thing the 'opposing side' often forgets is that moderation also shielded them from honest opinions on people like me since opening up about some of the posters around here would've gotten me banned as well. That is a good thing that led to a more civil forum than most.

I get where you’re coming from. My grandparents, and sometimes parents, are still weary of some people due to their past experiences and stories they’ve told over the years. The far-right political movement is causing a lot of issues to regress after years of improvement. Things are a lot better, but are slowly getting worse in some areas of the country. I’m really glad my State isn’t one of them to be honest. I’m an independent since both parties have platform pillars that disagree with my religion. In my honest opinion, a whole lot of Jesus would fix a lot of the hate problems.

It's great that you have those experiences to shape your worldview. But a lot of people had worse experiences than you. They're not liars, i'm one of those people. And frankly i'm a bit sick and tired of people on this forum putting their fingers in their ears and pretending that these things don't happen. It's fucking spineless.

Understandable, I can definitely see where you’re coming from. I do know it happens and it really should be gone by know. Racism is leaended and I wish there was a way to “unteach” it at a young age. Also think we definite need a police reformation. I just don’t think it’s as widespread and big as the internet makes it seems.

GAF has never respected minorities, just merely tolerated them. Any time we spoke up about an issue that affected us and that made white people uncomfortable people like me and the communities we occupied were deemed as 'toxic'. Meanwhile i've had to deal with 4 years of condescension, dog-whistling, & baiting on issues like blackface, police brutality, hate speech & the n-word and that gets placed under the banner of reasonable discussion. Now those 'toxic' communities have been eradicated and everyone is jumping out of the rafters dance on their grave. And people have the audacity to believe that this forum even cares about minority issues beyond lip service. What do we have left now? A pseudo-intellectual bubble where people can just talk about video games and nobody 'virtue signals' any more, wow I sure feel at fucking home. How fucking inclusive.

GAF cares so much about black people that people actively rebuked and ignored any point they made about racial issues to cry about dogpiling, ignored black members concerns about the forum as a whole as SJW hysteria, and actively turned a blind eye to people going into the BCT thread itself trying to bait people. That's all 'reasonable discourse' apparently. Y'all were willing to implicitly buy into the stereotypes of black people being rash, emotionally charged, and unreasonable, and let that dictate the way you interact with the black community on this forum and black issues as a whole. The lie that this forum and a large section of what remains of it's userbase actually cared about this stuff is some grade A bullshit. You tolerated us, that's all. And now you don't have to anymore.

Preach.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I feel like the right people are getting banned right now, so I have some hope in that regard. We’ll see how things shape up.

Being respectful and mindful of your fellow human beings is a good thing, and there should really be no place for anyone to purposefully cause harm to another innocent person.
The problem is/was the collective, loose definition of "bigotry" that was so pervasive here. There ARE valid conservative positions about these types of social issues that do not warrant you being called a bigot, racist, homophobe, transphobe, or whatever other names you have in your ammo pack.
The problem was that no fair discussion could be had without getting immediately dog piled upon and banned.
If this type of culture at Gaf is gone, that will be a great day to witness. Perhaps some productive debate could take place and people could just agree to disagree. I guess we shall see.

Agree with this post.
It'll be difficult to get the balance right. Having said that, still prefer Gaf echo chamber to this place becoming anything resembling Gamefaqs or god forbid 4chan.

Edit:
Having reread your post, the part where you say 'no fair discussion could be had...' is a little harsh and unfair. I think mods were getting too ban happy but usually there was at least reason to cast doubt on the banned posters intent.

As I said it's a difficult task to keep a balance.

GAF has never respected minorities, just merely tolerated them. Any time we spoke up about an issue that affected us and that made white people uncomfortable people like me and the communities we occupied were deemed as 'toxic'. Meanwhile i've had to deal with 4 years of condescension, dog-whistling, & baiting on issues like blackface, police brutality, hate speech & the n-word and that gets placed under the banner of reasonable discussion. Now those 'toxic' communities have been eradicated and everyone is jumping out of the rafters dance on their grave. And people have the audacity to believe that this forum even cares about minority issues beyond lip service. What do we have left now? A pseudo-intellectual bubble where people can just talk about video games and nobody 'virtue signals' any more, wow I sure feel at fucking home. How fucking inclusive.

GAF cares so much about black people that people actively rebuked and ignored any point they made about racial issues to cry about dogpiling, ignored black members concerns about the forum as a whole as SJW hysteria, and actively turned a blind eye to people going into the BCT thread itself trying to bait people. That's all 'reasonable discourse' apparently. Y'all were willing to implicitly buy into the stereotypes of black people being rash, emotionally charged, and unreasonable, and let that dictate the way you interact with the black community on this forum and black issues as a whole. The lie that this forum and a large section of what remains of it's userbase actually cared about this stuff is some grade A bullshit. You tolerated us, that's all. And now you don't have to anymore.

This is true, but alas at least there were some cool communities that had some protection from the rest of the shit people. There isn't really many other places like that where I know I'm not going to get called nigger randomly if I start talking about race

The mask has been pulled off though and most of the people who did care seem to be gone now

Damn.

Link

The Autumn Wind

This post hurts to read, because I thought this was a pretty inclusive, tolerant community. Of course, I say that as a straight white male, so I have no doubt I have some blind spots. I’m really sorry you feel that way, especially if I myself ever gave that impression. Hopefully, we can and will be better once this whole situation is behind us.

This post hurts to read, because I thought this was a pretty inclusive, tolerant community. Of course, I say that as a straight white male, so I have no doubt I have some blind spots. I’m really sorry you feel that way, especially if I myself ever gave that impression. Hopefully, we can and will be better once this whole situation is behind us.

Haha sorry man most people seem to be wishing for a return to the GAF of like 10 years ago, yet if you go read threads from 10 years ago it's filled with a bunch of slightly racist, homophobic, and sexist comments

Go and read the Trayvon Martin trial and see how badly people here shit on him. The place has actually gotten so much better in terms of discussing race issues but apparently it's just the liberal echo chamber and SJWs

Link

The Autumn Wind
Haha sorry man most people seem to be wishing for a return to the GAF of like 10 years ago, yet if you go read threads from 10 years ago it's filled with a bunch of slightly racist, homophobic, and sexist comments

Go and read the Trayvon Martin trial and see how badly people here shit on him. The place has actually gotten so much better in terms of discussing race issues but apparently it's just the liberal echo chamber and SJWs
Oh trust me, I remember the Trayvon Martin thread. Probably some of the most anger-inducing stuff I can remember pre-Trump. But like you, I thought it had gotten a lot better here in recent years. It’s disappointing to read that type of stuff was still apparently so prevalent.

Boss Mog

High key racist stuff for the most part are considered unacceptable in mainstream white society, it makes them feel uncomfortable. The worst racism isn't a klan member burning a cross in your lawn, it's the coded shit.

You certainly didn't use "coded shit" when you said you wanted to kill as many whites as possible.

I think this is quite overboard, and I say that as a minority myself which isn't an admission to be dismissive of your concerns but to provide perspective from someone else sharing the same sensitivities as you. Everything you said could probably be applied to all online media communities peppered with commentary and perspective from members in response to political news and social justice concerns and unless these communities or websites are related and tethered to active grassroots organizations designed to address the serious issues then as a minority you more than likely will feel dissatisfied by the lack of activism to crystallize the apparent faux outrage casually demonstrated here by members in response to these issues. But in the end this is a gaming site community with a demographic that predominately reflects the loose/inactive lifestyle and concerns the hobby entails.

deli2000

I think this is quite overboard, and I say that as a minority myself which isn't an admission to be dismissive of your concerns but to provide perspective from someone else sharing the same sensitivities as you. Everything you said could probably be applied to all online media communities peppered with commentary and perspective from members in response to political news and social justice concerns and unless these communities or websites are related and tethered to active grassroots organizations designed to address the serious issues then as a minority you more than likely will feel dissatisfied by the lack of activism to crystallize the apparent faux outrage casually demonstrated here by members in response to these issues. But in the end this is a gaming site community with a demographic that predominately reflects the loose/inactive lifestyle and concerns the hobby entails.

Other gaming forums don't promote themselves as being the bastion as tolerance and acceptance, so that doesn't hold weight.

This site attracted people like because they proclaimed to be different, because they said they were better. Now that's all over.

some of the posts in the stickied thread are making me a little queasy.
if you feel the restrictions placed on political discussion permits you to openly express bigotry then you should request a ban!
345047875530653696.png

Maybe we should ask those communities how they feel before we speak so confidently for them? This feels like a post that is more for guilty consciences than it is a statement to the actual groups involved.

FairyD

This needs to be quoted again.

deli2000

Maybe we should ask those communities how they feel before we speak so confidently for them? This feels like a post that is more for guilty consciences than it is a statement to the actual groups involved.

Hey, black person here. You're deflecting. Minority community threads have been wiped from this forum en masse. Fuck off.

Gay/Queer/Letters Gaffer here and while I don’t speak for the whole community, the Discord I run with a collective group of LettersGAF is ready to move to ResetEra. GAF minority communities have been a nice place, but I would say we were tolerated rather than completely inclusive.

There have been many bullshit, problematic issues over the years. Even though I’ve been a Gaffer since 1998, I’m ready to move on since so many prominent Gaffers are jumping ship and I can’t support Tyler’s pocket book. Why stick around when the people who matter for discussion and community aren’t here?

Good on you if you can side step your morales to feed his ego.

Other gaming forums don't promote themselves as being the bastion as tolerance and acceptance, so that doesn't hold weight.

This site attracted people like because they proclaimed to be different, because they said they were better. Now that's all over.

So because those gaming forums don't actively promote those ideals give them permission to be the vile, toxic communities they're more often than not are? Most of those other gaming websites don't even provide a sturdy platform for the intelligible discourse regularly demonstrated here and that you've dismissed as superficial or shallow. Rather those places burn to the ground and their ashes stepped on than to give them any merit or reward for their lack of hypocrisy.

jonnyp

GAF has been overmoderated to an absurd degree.

For example, the following post got me insta-banned for a month.

UE9OKkF.png

I'm not a sexist, I'm not a gamergater, I'm not even a conservative. I was just asking a fucking question. I'm not afraid to say that shit needs to stop. It's a discussion forum for god's sake.

Complete insanity. The off topic forum had been completely hijacked by post modernistic thinking and silencing of opposing viewpoints. The Evergreen state college of internet forums.

Hey, black person here. You're deflecting. Minority community threads have been wiped from this forum en masse. Fuck off.

Gay/Queer/Letters Gaffer here and while I don't speak for the whole community, the Discord I run with a collective group of LettersGAF is ready to move to ResetEra. GAF minority communities have been a nice place, but I would say we were tolerated rather than completely inclusive.

There have been many bullshit, problematic issues over the years. Even though I've been a Gaffer since 1998, I'm ready to move on since so many prominent Gaffers are jumping ship and I can't support Tyler's pocket book. Why stick around when the people who matter for discussion and community aren't here?

Good on you if you can side step your morales to feed his ego.

I must not have been clear. I was trying to argue on the same side as you. My point is that this forum will have purged all of it's communities and hurt a bunch of groups, but will still try to wrap itself in a feel good blanket of false moral rectitude and bubble progressivism.

That's my fault, for not being clear in a charged time. Truly sorry to both of you.

Considering all the people in the Waypoint thread who don't even understand the basics of consent, I doubt it very much.

GAF has also always been somewhat transphobic and I don't see that improving.

jonnyp

Being respectful and mindful of your fellow human beings is a good thing, and there should really be no place for anyone to purposefully cause harm to another innocent person.
The problem is/was the collective, loose definition of "bigotry" that was so pervasive here. There ARE valid conservative positions about these types of social issues that do not warrant you being called a bigot, racist, homophobe, transphobe, or whatever other names you have in your ammo pack.
The problem was that no fair discussion could be had without getting immediately dog piled upon and banned.
If this type of culture at Gaf is gone, that will be a great day to witness. Perhaps some productive debate could take place and people could just agree to disagree. I guess we shall see.

Thumbs up

I would like to know what this conservative position on gay people that couldn't get espoused before.

People acting like there weren't conservative opinions posted all the time in the OT shows me there is selective ignorance going on. Just because you weren't allowed to essentially question minorities humanity doesn't mean you were being stifled. One of the beautiful things about this website for me was how little anti gay sentiment was tolerated. That probably doesn't even register to a bunch to straight white people here but it's a shame people essentially seem to want to end that

Ridesh

Banned
Holy hell, by reading some dramatic posters one would think that gaf atm is filled with racist and sexist comments, I haven't read one, all I'm reading is people commenting of how extreme and agressive gaf was with that 'sjw' parade, when even the most inoffensive games threads will have some angry users commenting about the lack of a black protagonist or the lack of a prominent gay character, things like that, it was pretty tiresome to read.

It's like some of you can't stay 5 minutes without yelling racism or sexism or whatever, most of us don't give a fuck about that, we are here because of the gaming & media discussion.

Magilla

Banned
1.Ghost in the Shell was not racist. Congrats on boycotting the only Hollywood anime adaptation that respected the source, snowflakes.

2. “Black Culture”, you don’t speak for the millions of black people who don’t live in America, just as you “americans” (USA citizens) don’t speak for the millions of people who live in America. Stop thinking you’re special and speak for everyone. Same for the LGBTRWSF+ whatever group, as a gay person I’m sure as hell you clowns don’t speak for me. In fact I’m ashamed of your immature, censor-worshiping asses.

3. In all of these years of GAF SJW circlejerk you only contributed to devaluate terms like “racism”, “sexism” and “homophobia”. Your delirious white knight crusades and witch hunts have only made a real problem turn into a meme to be mocked. If these real problems are getting worse in videogames you can be 100% certain a big contributor has been the complete dictatorial madness you and people like Anita brought to life.

4. “Diversity” shouldn’t be imposed. Let the developers and artists do whatever the fuck they want with their characters and games. If they want to make an all-white, all-straight cast let them do it. If they want to make a cast of only transgender black people then so be it. And so on.

On a similar note, if a person is capable of doing a good work, they should get that work. It doesn’t matter that they’re white, black, asian, trans, female, cisgender, lesbian, gay, (she's) bi, genderfluid or whatever unnecessary tag you might want to add.

What should matter is how efficient and capable you are at the task. Period.

5. NeoGAF had a lot of cool people and communities. It was a great place to discuss games and other stuff as long as the shitty politics and hypocrite cowardly mods were kept away. It was ruined because of the toxic climate of politics, social justice and surreal related ravings that took place daily.

It is a shame but it serves the staff well for fostering such a venomous ground. You were killed by your own child, and you more than deserve it.

I can’t imagine how relieved the developers are right now without the toxic infuence of this safe space hellhole. You don’t get to decide what is the right thing to do anymore, you sanctimonious hoity-toities.

Oh and btw, stop being such embarrassing Sony shills. I just hope someday they go bankrupt so we can release Bloodborne from their shitty greedy hands.

Be thankful for the supreme creation of god that is Bloodborne everyone. Bye to the good people who talked about videogames and other issues without dogpiling on whoever dared entering politically incorrect territory.

This is how NeoGAF respects women/racial minorities/lgbt now. Enjoy!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Exactly right. People here need to understand this. Huge difference in being respected and being tolerated. Got even worse once a certain admin left. That departure was the beginning of the end for me. This latest fiasco is just icing.

PBY

Banned
Holy hell, by reading some dramatic posters one would think that gaf atm is filled with racist and sexist comments, I haven't read one, all I'm reading is people commenting of how extreme and agressive gaf was with that 'sjw' parade, when even the most inoffensive games threads will have some angry users commenting about the lack of a black protagonist or the lack of a prominent gay character, things like that, it was pretty tiresome to read.

It's like some of you can't stay 5 minutes without yelling racism or sexism or whatever, most of us don't give a fuck about that, we are here because of the gaming & media discussion.

This is why I don't feel safe here.

Luckydog

Is that your gamergate sensor going off

I don't know the poster, but I do agree that we should not cannonize everyone who is leaving as "the best parts of NeoGaf". If you want to throw around the boogieman of GamerGate to my post then take that crap elsewhere. Nothing in my post history suggests any attachment to that, and you somehow trying to tie that to me is BS.

deli2000

Oh you haven't read one. Well I guess that's that. Me and a bunch of others are just hysterical.

People keep going on about how this is good for gaf and they are just here for the games. When all the best posters are gone or leaving I have to wonder what you're all so happy about.
Yep , and it's sad getting rid of something half of youe already fracture community loved is a terrible move

Great post you said it well my friend

Hint: Not everyone agrees that the people leaving are "all the best posters." Some feel that they were the cancer running the site into the ground.

I feel this way 100%.

I'm glad I'll no longer be subjected to slander and name calling by people like Beseda anymore.

Gunsrs7

Banned
ummm what is this can we keep this crap out of the gaming discussion if I wanted to read political social justice warrior issues I would watch CNN or read the failing New York Times. please keep this website only to gaming discussions like it has always been or put this in the off topic

ummm what is this can we keep this crap out of the gaming discussion if I wanted to read political social justice warrior issues I would watch CNN or read the failing New York Times. please keep this website only to gaming discussions like it has always been or put this in the off topic

Love the roach infestation we have now.

Lol, the trumpers can finally come out to play.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

This is what this site will get primarily in the next crop of juniors

Top Bottom