• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF will always respect women/racial minorities/lgbt

Have you ever considered that some people may genuinely believe this?

100%.

However, ask those people to have a discussion with you in earnest. Ask them to discuss immigration or whatever political issue and you will see the truest colors. They want their views to be normalized and this is how they do it. They ask for leeway to spew gamergate / alt-right rhetoric. It's why a lot remained silent until now because they knew if they tried to articulate their dislike for women in games, or how police brutality wasn't so bad then they'd be banned. They're hoping now they can create a dialogue and not be held accountable because it's just opinions and you're allowed to disagree. Fostering that conversation isn't healthy. It isn't good. It only breeds and normalizes the hate and misinformation.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I'm still not ready to give up on this community, time will tell what direction this forum will take

Yay you're still here!

I was a bit nervous about coming back if everyone was gone.

Also, to quote some familiar faces (sorry if I missed some of you): Great to see you are all here still and let us try to make sure this reamins a great place for civil and thoughtful discussion!

EDIT:
I agree with your post but I can't in good conscience keep posting here knowing that discussing things here justifies that hypocritical behaviour where he has previously criticised people for victim blaming. It's sad that GAF won't be the same, RESETERA won't scratch the itch and the fantastic community that was here is irreparably damaged.
I can understand this and I acknowledge that my stance (also in terms of games, as seen with the discussions about Yooka and A Hat in Time) on this is not shared by the majority. Anyway, you will be missed and I would be glad if you came back after a while, should the community not dissolve.

Tareskog

I like videogames and discussing them.

i-like-turtles.jpg

I would advise any minority to leave this place asap. Gaf has never respected women or minorities or lgbt and simply allowed their presence. There was never a community effort to make them feel safer or to let them invest the forum in their own interests. It's def not happening now.

Fuz

Banned
Just by reading this thread, I don't think GAF will ever be able to go past its echo chamber problem. Even the first page is already full of it.

It's funny to see how the same people who complain about power hungry mods seem to be okay with the fact that EviLore nuked a big part of the site just to avoid being called out as much as possible.
It's almost as if they never really cared about that at all or whether the mods are power hungry or not or whatever. Just who they target with that power.

Jathaine

100%.

However, ask those people to have a discussion with you in earnest. Ask them to discuss immigration or whatever political issue and you will see the truest colors. They want their views to be normalized and this is how they do it. They ask for leeway to spew gamergate / alt-right rhetoric. It's why a lot remained silent until now because they knew if they tried to articulate their dislike for women in games, or how police brutality wasn't so bad then they'd be banned. They're hoping now they can create a dialogue and not be held accountable because it's just opinions and you're allowed to disagree. Fostering that conversation isn't healthy. It isn't good. It only breeds and normalizes the hate and misinformation.

You're making a lot of assumptions here. Do some people do this? Absolutely.
But if you think that everyone who feels that the 'culture' of NeoGAF wasn't one that allowed for balanced discussion is some sort of fringe crazy... I have to wonder which version of NeoGAF you were posting on.
There was a problem, definitely. That's the reason why NeoGAF was the punchline of all the jokes over this weekend. That's the reason people from nearly every other site didn't want the NeoGAF 'refugees'.

It's not a problem that couldn't be worked through but it was definitely a problem. Whether it continues to be one or not remains to be seen.

Wamb0wneD

But if you think that everyone who feels that the 'culture' of NeoGAF wasn't one that allowed for balanced discussion is some sort of fringe crazy... I have to wonder which version of NeoGAF you were posting on.
There was a problem, definitely. That's the reason why NeoGAF was the punchline of all the jokes over this weekend. That's the reason people from nearly every other site didn't want the NeoGAF 'refugees'.

It's not a problem that couldn't be worked through but it was definitely a problem. Whether it continues to be one or not remains to be seen.

I really don't want to bother you with this but Supbar Spatula is full of it. Honestly. He acted like I have "shitty views" without knowing a single one of them and then acted like I'm the one not wanting a discussion while putting me on ignore. He's the personification of OT's toxic course of discussion.

100%.

I'm on your ignore list for telling you how you were making shit up to fit your narrative, or even before that after you threw all that condescending shit at me without wanting to read a response.
So you asking others to have a discussion in earnest is the fucking epitome of hypocrisy. I'd really like others to read this, because this shit makes me kinda furious right now. I know you won't read this, but holy shit you're the most annoying and disingenuous poster I've seen here in years.

ckaneo

Just by reading this thread, I don't think GAF will ever be able to go past its echo chamber problem. Even the first page is already full of it.

To be fair, very few forums arent echo chambers. Gaf posters at least are smarter than most.

Just stop banning so many people. That's what seperates neogaf.

ckaneo

I really don't want to bother you with this but Supbar Spatula is full of it. Honestly.

I'm on your ignore list for telling you how you were making shit up to fit your narrative, or even before that after you threw all that condescending shit at me without wanting to read a response.
So you asking others to have a discussion in earnest is the fucking epitome of hypocrisy. I'd really like others to read this, because this shit makes me kinda furious right now. I know you won't reda this, but holy shit you're the most annoying poster I've seen here in years.
Honestly, I'm sure that poster means well, but they've gone so far down the rabbit hole i'm not sure we can pull them out.

Also, to quote some familiar faces (sorry if I missed some of you): Great to see you are all here still and let us try to make sure this reamins a great place for civil and thoughtful discussion!

Don't bet on me sticking around for much longer. I won't go all account suicidal because I think such behavior is dumb, but each passing moment is causing me to drift further and further away from this site.

You do realize you could disagree with people right? You were never not allowed to do that on NeoGAF. You just have to be reasonable, articulate, and not be rude presenting your argument. What got the haters were requirements 1 and 3. They could articulate their disgust pretty well but it was rarely reasonable and 99% rude.

So, like, yeah, disagreements were always here. The ones asking for it are the ones who got bit by their own faults.

sneas78

Banned
Yeah yeah yeah. I was banned too once. But I had it coming I was super drunk and said some .. well I don’t want to remember what I said. Glad we are back. Let’s focus on making this place great again. And honestly in the face of the internet . We should all stand up and fight for this place.. while what’s going on .. if true is horrible.. I want to fight for “us” the people that made this forum a one in a million places I call home. I would miss it too much to let it go so easily. What you say gaf?

To be fair, very few forums arent echo chambers. Gaf posters at least are smarter than most.

Just stop banning so many people. That's what seperates neogaf.
Forums generally do end up being echo chambers regarding their main point of interest, of that I agree, but I would argue that there aren't that many forums out there whereby the echo chamber is regarding a topic that isn't actually the main, intended focus of the forum.

GAF is one of the exceptions, at least in my experience.

I also agree with the second point. Incidentally it really mitigates the diversity of expression on here, which leads to the former issue.

Jathaine

You do realize you could disagree with people right? You were never not allowed to do that on NeoGAF. You just have to be reasonable, articulate, and not be rude presenting your argument. What got the haters were requirements 1 and 3. They could articulate their disgust pretty well but it was rarely reasonable and 99% rude.

So, like, yeah, disagreements were always here. The ones asking for it are the ones who got bit by their own faults.

Sorry, but this is not fully correct.
I've never personally been hit for disagreeing and I tend to disagree with the GAF hivemind often so I know that there is some truth to this, but I've definitely personally seen people get hit for pretty reasonable posts and it wasn't a rarity so you will, unfortunately, not be able to convince me.
We might as well call it quits because I don't think either of us will be changing any minds here.

Forums generally do end up being echo chambers regarding their main point of interest, of that I agree, but I would argue that there aren't that many forums out there whereby the echo chamber is regarding a topic that isn't actually the main, intended focus of the forum.

GAF is one of the exceptions, at least in my experience.

I also agree with the second point. Incidentally it really mitigates the diversity of expression on here, which leads to the former issue.

Diverse opinions were all over the place. What are you even talking about? What type of opinion would get you banned? I'm actually curious 'cause I was never banned for disliking some movies.

Wamb0wneD

Honestly, I'm sure that poster means well, but they've gone so far down the rabbit hole i'm not sure we can pull them out.

Sorry but this is not fully correct.
I've never personally been hit for disagreeing and I tend to disagree with the GAF hivemind often so I know that there is some truth to this, but I've definitely personally seen people get hit for pretty reasonable posts and it wasn't a rarity so you will, unfortunately, not be able to convince me.
We might as well call it quits because I don't think either of us will be changing any minds here.

Again,

I mean look at this:
You don't have to say something outrageous to catch a ban.
I never catched a fucking ban

The discussion has already been had. You know this. You just want to reiterate lost points because you feel emboldened right now. You know moderation was fair. You just don't care because you were bit by it. Now you can safely attack back. Instead of you learning to do better you decided to stay quiet and bitter. You keep saying I'm the toxic one. It sounds like you're trying to reinforce a belief to yourself.
I don't even know what he's talking about here. Emboldened? All of this is based off the assumption I was banned for saying some fucked up shit, which never happened. All he does is making up shit to fit me into a corner so he can dismiss anything I say.

You feel attacked because you couldn't jive with the cool kids. They knocked you back for your shitty views. Accept that even today after the folks who you dislike have left and you cannot stop talking / thinking about them. Accept that the people you want respect from don't like you. I have.
I lost it at cool kids. Shitty views? I never even ushered anything of the sort. This is the deepest fucking rabbit hole I've ever seen.

The best thing is he never answered to my next post. Read his last sentence and then imagine him putting me on ignore right after sending that post. Like what the actual fuck.

Can you like, quote him and quote me or something? If I hate one thing it's people pretending they want discussion and then acting like this.

Dunkley

I agree, some people here really need to look at their posts again.

Guys, it's okay to be wrong, but it's fucked up to spin everything to fit your narrative just so you can keep believing you aren't wrong on something.

As for me, this is my 5331st post and it'll be my last one, because I just want to be fucking permabanned.

I like being a part of gaming communities, but I know for a fact this ain't one of them anymore.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Don't bet on me sticking around for much longer. I won't go all account suicidal because I think such behavior is dumb, but each passing moment is causing me to drift further and further away from this site.

I realise that you, but also likely Crossing Eden, are absolutely not guaranteed to stick around, but I also feel that it is important to demonstrate that there is a community who would be happy if you did.

RinsFury

This is a message board. Everything is archived. So it's pretty easy to post examples of attacks. And I'm sure most of the people will condemn those attacks. But people using hyperbole always talk about all this hatred and never post examples.

Why do you think so many are shitting on "SJW", the left, and progressivism in general, while cheering for the return of Trump and the alt right? What do you suppose their true agenda is?

The forum is littered with examples

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=252770139
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=252754708
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=252752835
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=252749773
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=252751444

JayBabay

100%.

Sometimes a topic like immigration can get controversial and people might be labeled racists if they sourced something that stated that its more economically favorable to source immigrants from these specific countries vs others. Is it a rational/logical argument? I'd say so, but can see where someone might be thrown into a pool of undesirables by arguing this from an economic standpoint that strictly measures one thing, like economic productivity.

(By the way, this isn't a topic I'm well versed in but it is something that I could see an example arising from and the types of situations that people may find themselves in which would get them labeled as inconsiderate, selfish, or shameful because the topic is sensitive and just relying on something like data can paint people as not being empathetic to others suffering).

Wamb0wneD

Why do you think so many are shitting on "SJW", the left, and progressivism in general, while cheering for the return of Trump and the alt right? What do you suppose their true agenda is?

And out of those 5 posts 4 are already banned. If anything this is a good thing. Let the trolls, gamergaters and alt-right assholes come out of the woodwork and get their accounts nuked. The more the better.

They're not going to come out right and say it, they want to be more open to discussion. It's a lot of the "you should be able to disagree with each other" and "maybe it won't be so extreme" or "you were dog piled if you were wrong, shamed, then banned".

Let's look at those key words that are parroted around tonight. Where do you think a lot of these people would disagree with so vehemently that they would be banned? Why do you think they're glad social and political issues are gone? Because it didn't jive with them because they held pretty bad opinions and were slapped for expressing them poorly. They're not happy they can't scream "PLAYSTATION IS BEST SO SUCK IT!", they're happy they can finally say they never have to talk about issues pertaining to minorities, women, or anything that could affect the status quo. This jubilation is telling because the hate for the OT seems to be squarely directed at politics and nothing like MLB, anime, or even nickleback-GAF. We all get their aim but they don't want to come out and say it cause even they know they can't go 100% yet.

I know it's in the title of this thread, but since there is no OT right now, it's safe to say this thread has gone past discussing just, women, PoC, minorities, LGBT...

Regardless of what your fears are of some people here, who seem to be pleading to have room to express their different opinion, I can assure you, most of them mean well and most likely their views align with yours when it comes to LGBT, minorities etc.

The discussion here is about literally hundreds of other subjects and social issues that arises in GAF OT on daily basis. From say 'Guy Fieri's smoker during forest fires' to another disgruntled passenger complaining about mistreatment by a commercial airline... lots of these topics need further discussion and investigation and different opinions, it's never right or wrong right away. As much as you want to paint a very black and white, straight forward picture of some people here, I am afraid it's not that simple and it's not fair to shed a dismissive light on others like that; There are people here from all walks of life, from different parts of the world, continents ; from many different upbringings/culture... "Gamergate" , "alt right" to them may not mean anything, and it's reckless to just categorize and label them as such, even if they happen to side with say a white police officer instead of a PoC in a story in the OT that involves those two individuals.

Some people are simply here to learn the truth about a news article, to figure out the reality and cause of events, they don't have a pre determined agenda, or a point of view... and I guess what I am trying to say is, maybe it helps if more of us were a bit more open to see things from different angles to understand the truth.

For what it's worth, I fucking hate anime, that's why you will never seem me take part in any thread or discussion about it.

ckaneo

Yeah yeah yeah. I was banned too once. But I had it coming I was super drunk and said some .. well I don’t want to remember what I said. Glad we are back. Let’s focus on making this place great again. And honestly in the face of the internet . We should all stand up and fight for this place.. while what’s going on .. if true is horrible.. I want to fight for “us” the people that made this forum a one in a million places I call home. I would miss it too much to let it go so easily. What you say gaf?

Yes, the forum is full of those people. But not all of us are secretly agenda posting.

And that's part of the problem of this forum. I have no doubt people post with hidden agendas. But not every post is misogynist, racist, or bigoted in disguise.

Trey

Yup, I am also really curious about these 'outpouring of hatred towards the LGBTQ + minorities'...

Is it happening today and in these forums?

I did notice one joke 'ban me" thread where the thread had the 'N' word with the hard 'R' in the title... Upon going in the thread, there wasn't anything fundamentally racist in it, it was just nonsense, gibberish... Is that the thread you're referring to?

Care to site some stuff please?

It's not like there was a person in a thread about favorite minorities posting imagines of donkey Kong or anything.

It's not like there was a post in the stickied thread about how minorites can no longer "chimp out" in political threads or anything.

If it's unseen, it doesn't have to be dealt with: the moderate's favorite position.

Oresama

Yeah, but the problem isnt respecting minorities/lgbt

You have to be blind or deaf to not acknowledge Neogaf has a clear problem when it comes to being an echo chamber, over-empowered mods, and what can only be described as a toxic environment for dissenting opinions. Even ones with good intentions. Homophobic and racist individuals should be banned outright, but neo gaf had an environment where I could have been banned for defending Evilore. (not that I am, just an example).

I walk on eggshells on the site sometimes because of the aura you've just described.

Glad they are going back to their roots and sticking to gaming (at least for a while). This site is at its best when it's about videogames imo.

this very response makes me fearful for a ban and I don't even know why

Diverse opinions were all over the place. What are you even talking about? What type of opinion would get you banned? I'm actually curious 'cause I was never banned for disliking some movies.
Less of the pop culture variety and more of the current event or ideological variety. Or that which related to GAF's moderation style.

But that's as deep as I care to go lest my words get twisted beyond recognition.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
People keep going on about how this is good for gaf and they are just here for the games. When all the best posters are gone or leaving I have to wonder what you're all so happy about.

JayBabay

It's not like there was a person in a thread about favorite minorities posting imagines of donkey Kong or anything.

It's not like there was a post in the stickied thread about how minorites can no longer "chimp out" in political threads or anything.

If it's unseen, it doesn't have to be dealt with: the moderate's favorite position.

Yeah, these example are very unfortunate and I hope they are able to cull them quickly throughout the night. I didn't doubt you but I genuinely didn't notice these things while glossing over the new topics today.

Yeah, these example are very unfortunate and I hope they are able to cull them quickly throughout the night. I didn't doubt you but I genuinely didn't notice these things while glossing over the new topics today.

I also missed those ones you mentioned. despite me trying to witness most of the chaos going on in here today...

People keep going on about how this is good for gaf and they are just here for the games. When all the best posters are gone or leaving I have to wonder what you're all so happy about.

Yep.

I'm sad people think this is good for GAF. I'm bummed to see good people leave and that others are happy about that. Nothing to celebrate there IMO. And I can understand why people do want to leave.

Anyways, thanks for making this thread OP. I want GAF to stay a place full of respect for minorities and forward thinking in the public sphere. I hope the changes around here don't cause a fall from grace.

No place is perfect, especially on the internet. And this place is no different. But I have very fond memories of GAF dating years back when I would lurk. It always impressed me as being a bastion of pretty widespread acceptance in a hobby so often filled with disgusting hate.

I hope we can actively rebuild GAF to maintain positivity and respect for all. I'm quite sad to see the different rules for Off Topic because, in the past, I was able to inform myself and gain new perspective on lots of political issues I was previously ignorant to. I'll always cherish the old Off Topic for that reason. Maybe one day it can return to how it once was...

Anyways, let's do this right everybody. Gotta love one another.

Chao

I’m not sure if this will stay this way from now on, but Gad used to be scary when it came to political topics. People can be stupid sometimes, people can be great sometimes, I don’t think one single stupidity is worth banning someone for life, and political threads in Gaf have been “either you agree with this and 20 pages of piling on someone or you’re fucking banned -bonus points if detective gaf worked actively to ruin someone’s reputation-.

Almost never posted on political topics because of that. If I had said “well, maybe -random alleged sexual predator- is innocent, let’s just wait and see” I would have been piled on endelessly.
Now it’s happened to Evilore and and I’m not going to call him a piece of shit just yet because I thought being cautious with such harsh accusations was the right thing to do before this happened.

If he’s found guilty, maybe I’ll learn something, but if he’s found not guilty I bet the douchebags that go after other posters for not calling him a rapist automatically will learn nothing.

Just stop with the name calling and finger pointing in this forum. Not everyone is a nazi, a racist, a homophobe or a sexist by not automatically going into the “kill this fucking pig” mode with everything piece of news.

HStallion

I’m not sure if this will stay this way from now on, but Gad used to be scary when it came to political topics. People can be stupid sometimes, people can be great sometimes, I don’t think one single stupidity is worth banning someone for life, and political threads in Gaf have been “either you agree with this and 20 pages of piling on someone or you’re fucking banned -bonus points if detective gaf worked actively to ruin someone’s reputation-.

Almost never posted on political topics because of that. If I had said “well, maybe -random alleged sexual predator- is innocent, let’s just wait and see” I would have been piled on endelessly.
Now it’s happened to Evilore and and I’m not going to call him a piece of shit just yet because I thought being cautious with such harsh accusations was the right thing to do before this happened.

If he’s found guilty, maybe I’ll learn something, but if he’s found not guilty I bet the douchebags that go after other posters for not calling him a rapist automatically will learn nothing.

Just stop with the name calling and finger pointing in this forum. Not everyone is a nazi, a racist, a homophobe or a sexist by not automatically going into the “kill this fucking pig” mode with everything piece of news.

So you being meek on subjects means nuke half the website over the owners bullshit including a huge swath of minority community OTs?

Typical

Banned
Neogaf was doing something right, for all the alt righters to celebrate its demise.

How about we fight for this place, which on a whole (no place is without its issues) has been a force for good. As a minority and a person of colour honestly gaf is the only place ive been comfortable online whereas most other forums are filled with racist assholes.

It's like many of you haven't even to other forums before if you thought OT or the discussion of politics here were not productive. I'm scared to know your definitions of a shit show if you thought GAF before today was a shit show.

It wasn't perfect but gaf before today was a one of a kind place. It's the reason many of us were here in first place!

Bl@de

Only the last one is actually ban worthy IMO and actually hateful. The other ones are just shitposting memes and throwing around the term SJW like others use the term alt-righters and biogts. People can put those on ignore and be done with it.

Chao

So you being meek on subjects means nuke half the website over the owners bullshit including a huge swath of minority community OTs?

I don’t think they will stay closed forever, shit needs to be figured out. Previous state of the forum was not good and if this means it will be back with less iron hammer, I’m ok with that.

Just imagine someone creating a new thread for the latest H3H3 vídeo in the OT forum. Everyone hate their guts here and thread would become a “fuck these alt righters” thread in the first page.

It’s become increasingly difficult to discern what’s ok and what’s not ok to talk about in GAF, and that’s because there’s not much room for any point of view different than the ‘editorial’ one so to speak, ironically creating a very toxic discussion environment.

I think that should be figured out and fixed, but I don’t own this forum so it’s not my call.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Will NeoGaf still respect Bane Posters as a minority group?

HkxxnKz.gif

I'm a big guy
for you
and don't want to be in a plane and crash with no survivors.

zoukka

Obviously without heavy moderation NeoGAF cannot respect minorities as much as it did. It's just not physically possible to contain bigots unless you have a full team of moderators working full time as demonstrated by any other forum that doesn't moderate their posts.

So many great posters are jumping off this sinking ship. The site's not worth visiting anymore without them.

Fuck Evilore for nuking an entire community just to save his own hide. Elf eared piece of shit.

HStallion

I don’t think they will stay closed forever, shit needs to be figured out. Previous state of the forum was not good and if this means it will be back with less iron hammer, I’m ok with that.

Just imagine someone creating a new thread for the latest H3H3 vídeo in the OT forum. Everyone hate their guts here and thread would become a “fuck these alt righters” thread in the first page.

It’s become increasingly difficult to discern what’s ok and what’s not ok to talk about in GAF, and that’s because there’s not much room for any point of view different than the ‘editorial’ one so to speak, ironically creating a very toxic discussion environment.

I think that should be figured out and fixed, but I don’t own this forum so it’s not my call.

Its pretty obvious what you could and couldn't say and post to earn a ban. Let's not be dense here, it's no great mystery.

Only the last one is actually ban worthy IMO and actually hateful. The other ones are just shitposting memes and throwing around the term SJW like others use the term alt-righters and biogts. People can put those on ignore and be done with it.

That's not the only thing those people did to get banned. They've been emboldened and aren't wearing the masks anymore. Trolls should be banned, not just ignored. And then those people will inevitably go to another community to complain about how the gaf hivemind rejected their articulate civil discourse.

Ombra

Shitposting is 4chan and gamefaqs shit, when that type of nonsense infects gaf it degrades it. There are way too many forums that allow for that I'm all for closong and shutting down accounts that find that shit funny.

Velius

Banned
GAF has been overmoderated to an absurd degree.

For example, the following post got me insta-banned for a month.

UE9OKkF.png

I'm not a sexist, I'm not a gamergater, I'm not even a conservative. I was just asking a fucking question. I'm not afraid to say that shit needs to stop. It's a discussion forum for god's sake.

Something similar happened to me. I think what I said that spawned it was "I do my best not to demonize those with whom I disagree." I mean, I truly believe that. It was a manhunt from there on out.

I'm curious and optimistic about the future of NeoGaf. I think this could really end up being good.

Top Bottom