• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disingenuous Discourse

Well to explain it in a way that's easier for you to understand.

Imagine the same arguments applied to Starfield.

A: Starfield won't get any GOTY awards.

B: Bethesda has a history of games that got GOTY awards.

A: Those awards don't matter because they are from Xbox sites.

B: Evidence is provided of sites that aren't Xbox focused.

A: Only thing that matters is if it gets most of the GOTY awards.

Basically that's what happened in the Spiderman thread. It wasn't due to it being a Sony exclusive. Just an argument that was being constantly spun to fit the OPs narrative.

P.S Also we do have negative spiderman threads. Like the one that complained about the visuals when the gameplay was shown at the PlayStation showcase. Mods aren't actively shutting them down because its a PlayStation exclusive.
You're explaining it to me in a way I understand? You? 🤣 Stroll on mate.

You're explaining it to me in a way I understand? You? 🤣 Stroll on mate.

Yeah it makes it easier. I saw you had issues and you automatically assumed it was because it was a Sony exclusive. That was basically a break down of what happened but put in a way that makes sense to you. Just pointing out of the same was made about another title it still wouldn't be correct.

Hopefully that helps.

:)

No need for bitch waivers here. It's fine we all make mistakes it's human nature.

Last edited:

elbourreau

ron burgundy GIF

I LOVE neogaf !

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Mods are people too. If you criticize something they like, they're far more likely to consider it trolling than if you go after something they dislike. No one's perfect.

SJRB

Gold Member
Bro ultimately it’s just videogames.

The moment you realise none of this is worth the accelerated heart rate is the moment you’ve evolved beyond braindead online discourse over trivial subjects.

At the end of the day literally none of it matters. It’s just people killing time talking about a hobby, never crusade over something like that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would never say that a game can't be ones personalGame of the Year. But, again, it feels disingenuous to suggest that when people generally call a game GOTY that they only saying that's it's their personal one, unless they specifically call that out. Especially just as a semantic, and unnecessary given that I think it will be good, defense of a game.

It seems more disingenuous for you to argue that it WON'T be GOTY given that you haven't played it and have only seen a few short gameplay clips, just like the rest of us.

Meanwhile, we have people who HAVE played it saying that it's a big improvement over the previous (already great) games, feels truly next-gen, and might be the best superhero game ever made.

Will it be GOTY? I don't know, I haven't played it.

Last edited:

Hudo

Apparently I've been banned from responding further in the Spider-Man 2 preview thread. No response given.
Who cares, it's just an internet forum at the end of the day. Try to have fun, and don't get sucked into getting worked up about what people say because... again, it's just some text on the internet.
The worst thing that could happen is that you get perm'd (which will most likely happen to me in the not-so-far future at some point).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's because your arguments were indeed disingenuous and trolling attempts. Now you're posting this as if that was "actual legitimate critical discourse" pretending otherwise.

For everybody who doesn't know what happened, here is how it went down:
  • You said SM2 will not be a GOTY contender.
  • I told you that even SM1 was a GOTY contender, so why wouldn't SM2 be a GOTY contender?
  • You quickly changed the conversation to "did SM1 win any GOTY awards?"
  • I shared that it won 23 GOTY awards (not including user choice awards)
  • You then shifted the conversation if those awards were from major publications?
  • I shared the list that included Wired, Verge, Japanese developers in Famitsu, etc. And the game was nominated by GDC, DICE, Golden Joystick, NY Game Awards, TGA, etc.
  • You said those are not major publications (lol) and SM2 will not win GOTY awards.
  • I reminded you your original argument was that "Spider-Man 2 will not be a GOTY contender." I asked why wouldn't it be a GOTY contender if SM1 was also a GOTY contender and winner of 23 GOTY awards, if SM2 improves upon everything?
Then you never responded again. Of course, it was trolling and a baseless argument by you where you kept making things as you went and shifting goalposts, instead of stopping and acknowledging that you were wrong.

Here are the receipts (not in the perfect order)

Well, we'll see I suppose. I think it's obvious it'll be in some conversations, as will almost every game that has an average of 8 or higher (including Starfield and even The Game That Shall Not Be Named), but it won't be on most finalized lists and won't win the actual award of the vast majority of sites and publications.

Spider-Man 2 looks to be doing everything that 1 (and Miles Morales) did, on a non-technical level, with seemingly minor changes. Neither of the previous games won any Game of the Year awards, that I know of, and I think it's silly to think this will.
Even the last Spider-Man game was a GOTY contender. So if it's more of the same but better in every aspect, why wouldn't Spider-Man 2 also be a GOTY contender?
I don't think anyone is doubting the team. I know I'm personally still looking forward to playing it, eventually, and would be very surprised if I didn't enjoy it.

I just don't see how anyone looks at it and legitimately thinks it's a true game of the year contender.
Spider-Man 1 won the 3rd highest number of GOTY awards in 2018 - behind God of War (#1) and Red Dead Redemption 2 (#2)
Which is how many actual Game of the Year awards from major publications/sites?
23 GOTY awards from media outlets (not counting user choice).
Can you provide a source for this? Because, unless what you're reading is from stuff like Push Square, I'm not seeing anything like that.
You keep changing and filtering down your requests though lol.

Anyway, my last response to you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Marvel's_Spider-Man

You can check the numerous nominations and awards on this list.

Major publications like The Wired, Verge, Famitsu, etc. named Spider-Man their GOTY. It got nominated as a GOTY candidate by publications such as Eurogamer, TGA, DICE awards, GDC, Golden Joystick, and New York Game Awards.

Your original argument that Spider-Man did not win any GOTY awards is incorrect.
Famitsu didn't give it their Game of the Year; it went to Monster Hunter World and Smash Ultimate. A poll of Japanese developers, conducted by Famitsu, put Spider-Man at the top. Not the same thing.

I will concede that Spider-Man won Game of the Year awards from Wired, ShackNews, and The Verge (although I wouldn't consider any of them to be major gaming publications/sites, e.g., IGN, GameSpot, The Game Awards, etc).

So... with Marvel's Spider-Man having won three Game of the Year awards, out of dozens, do you feel Spider-Man 2, based on what we've seen so far, has a strong chance at winning enough awards to be considered the Game of the Year (a la Red Dead Redemption II/God of War 2018, Elden Ring, etc)?
It won 23 GOTY awards, not 3. You can check gameawards.net.

Also, why are you now talking about Spider-Man 2 *winning* the GOTY award? Wasn’t your original argument that it won’t be nominated for GOTY?

Going by your original argument, there are plenty of major media publications like EG, GDC, DICE, Golden Joystick, TGA, etc, that nominated Spider-Man for GOTY.

Now, why wouldn’t Spider-Man 2, which apparently is a significant improvement according to people who played it, won’t be nominated for GOTY?

killatopak

That's because your arguments were indeed disingenuous and trolling attempts. Now you're posting this as if that was "actual legitimate critical discourse" pretending otherwise.

For everybody who doesn't know what happened, here is how it went down:
  • You said SM2 will not be a GOTY contender.
  • I told you that even SM1 was a GOTY contender, so why wouldn't SM2 be a GOTY contender?
  • You quickly changed the conversation to "did SM1 win any GOTY awards?"
  • I shared that it won 23 GOTY awards (not including user choice awards)
  • You then shifted the conversation if those awards were from major publications?
  • I shared the list that included Wired, Verge, Japanese developers in Famitsu, etc. And the game was nominated by GDC, DICE, Golden Joystick, NY Game Awards, TGA, etc.
  • You said those are not major publications (lol) and SM2 will not win GOTY awards.
  • I reminded you your original argument was that "Spider-Man 2 will not be a GOTY contender." I asked why wouldn't it be a GOTY contender if SM1 was also a GOTY contender and winner of 23 GOTY awards, if SM2 improves upon everything?
Then you never responded again. Of course, it was trolling and a baseless argument by you where you kept making things as you went and shifting goalposts, instead of stopping and acknowledging that you were wrong.

Here are the receipts (not in the perfect order)
Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

I cant understand why people love to go this heated argument over what will win GOTY......who the fuck cares!? My GOTY based on the games I enjoyed, I dont give rat ass what VGA shows consider GOTY.

Lets say Spider Man 2 wins GOTY, still not gonna make me want play that games since I'm not in to Marvel/DC comic crap. Only one reason I watch VGA shows, because of trailers and nothing else.
Are u...Me ? Lol

High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

Interfectum

I cant understand why people love to go this heated argument over what will win GOTY......who the fuck cares!? My GOTY based on the games I enjoyed, I dont give rat ass what VGA shows consider GOTY.

Lets say Spider Man 2 wins GOTY, still not gonna make me want play that games since I'm not in to Marvel/DC comic crap. Only one reason I watch VGA shows, because of trailers and nothing else.
Yup and to further illustrate how fucking stupid this debate is: Halo: Infinite won GOTY on this very forum. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Genuine response: The issue is that your standards would mean GoTY games should always be the innovators and we have seen on multiple occasions for this to not be the case. Sometimes GoTY is just a really, really, really well polished game that people enjoyed front to back. There are a lot of innovators in the indie space that don't even get mentioned in GoTY conversations.
I wonder where some ppl were or what they thought when TellTale's The Walking Dead got overall GotY. Or It Takes Two.

Like it was mentioned in some threads...Death Stranding got overall GotY and is sitting at an 82, 83 review score. And is hella divisive.

I can see Spider-Man 2 getting some awards. Spider-Man 1 and Miles also got some GotY awards. Some ppl just take this stuff waaaay too serious.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
From someone who's been thread banned from a few threads recently and not seeing any similar "justice" dished out to other users that continue to strategically fanboy war, I feel your pain op.

Just gotta take a step back, realise where you personally crossed the line and try to better yourself and not get wound up at those who somehow dodge bans.

Just put threads on ignore. Sure, say your piece once then don't get caught in a back and forth. I dunno, that's all I can advise.

From someone who's been thread banned from a few threads recently and not seeing any similar "justice" dished out to other users that continue to strategically fanboy war, I feel your pain op.

Just gotta take a step back, realise where you personally crossed the line and try to better yourself and not get wound up at those who somehow dodge bans.

Just put threads on ignore. Sure, say your piece once then don't get caught in a back and forth. I dunno, that's all I can advise.

It all depends on whether you want to adopt a persecution complex or not. From my experience mods have dealt with fanboys from both sides.

Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they don't have the right to post here. And I'm saying this as someone that disagrees with many here.

Your entitled to your opinion but others that disagree with you have a right to theirs.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
I'm sure the game will be great, and I'll definitely be playing it eventually. Not Game of the Year though. I will bet $1.00 that the majority critical consensus from major publications/sites will be either Tears of the Kingdom or Baulder's Gate III.

Could you bet a million dollars so i can win and retire earlier please?

Draugoth

Gold Member
Did a surgeon who posts on Neogaf, post a breast augmentation procedure for gold? This place is wild.

Scared Drugs GIF

NZooTlM.gif

Just to clarify some cases are done "pro bono" with some kind of marketing agreement.. so any picture I choose to post online has already been authorized previously for any use I choose.

Didn't mean to derail the thread ... sorry mods

The dude get's to play around with random women's titties without getting the cops on him and get's paid for that.

Truly incredible

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
NZooTlM.gif

Just to clarify some cases are done "pro bono" with some kind of marketing agreement.. so any picture I choose to post online has already been authorized previously for any use I choose.

Didn't mean to derail the thread ... sorry mods

That's good to know. I was actually worried you were drunk posting shit that could get you in trouble.

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

Topher

Gold Member

No Way Reaction GIF by Originals

Windom Earle Windom Earle You know that OTs are a thing right?

Top Bottom