• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF will always respect women/racial minorities/lgbt

Now would you agree that you primarily labelled me incorrectly in a knee jerk manner? Or, at least, felt compelled to label me incorrectly? This is the attitude that was spawned by these people. They are gone now, I can only hope the attitude dissipates with time.

FFS I never labeled you as anything, just pointed out that you weren't doing yourself any favors to people who wanted to ascribe that to you. You basically went out of your way to look like you were straining to hold in some alt-right bullshit. I refuse to believe you're this socially inept, you were being intentionally disingenuous.

You believe his lies. He says "at the end of the day it's OK to disagree."

People were allowed to disagree. You just have to articulate it well. You're dealing with a gamergater FYI. He doesn't care about discussion. He only became this active because of all this and wants to rub it in.

You're falling for it.

Relax, I'm aware. I'm just pre-gaming fun before other fun.
permanent fun

weekev

Banned
I’m surprised at so many people hand Waving evilores victim blaming and defending him. I guess there really is a defence force for everything on GAF.

FFS I never labeled you as anything, just pointed out that you weren't doing yourself any favors to people who wanted to ascribe that to you. You basically went out of your way to look like you were straining to hold in some alt-right bullshit. I refuse to believe you're this socially inept, you were being intentionally disingenuous.

So, no? Ok, I respect your opinion of me being socially inept and I have no further interest in defending myself.

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, but the problem isnt respecting minorities/lgbt

You have to be blind or deaf to not acknowledge Neogaf has a clear problem when it comes to being an echo chamber, over-empowered mods, and what can only be described as a toxic environment for dissenting opinions. Even ones with good intentions. Homophobic and racist individuals should be banned outright, but neo gaf had an environment where I could have been banned for defending Evilore. (not that I am, just an example).

Exactly this.

ckaneo

I’m surprised at so many people hand Waving evilores victim blaming and defending him. I guess there really is a defence force for everything on GAF.

Craziest thing that this happened to the owner of neogaf.

This is one for the history books.

Shouldn't it be safe to be honest?

Call me crazy, but I feel like it should be safe to be honest on a discussion board.

Be as honest as you want. However, don't get upset when a large amount of the people take offence to racism, misogyny, and bigotry.

Just come out and be yourself.

Farsi

People were allowed to disagree. You just have to articulate it well. You're dealing with a gamergater FYI. He doesn't care about discussion. He only became this active because of all this and wants to rub it in.

You're falling for it.

Really glad I'm not the only one who sees it

The biggest issue was how those with opinions that didn’t go with the majority were treated even when posting in a reasonable manner.

Was quite easily the biggest issue in both the OT and Gaming.

For sure this was my biggest issue.

People should not get banned for posts that are courteous and civil. Period.

RinsFury

Similar to when Trump won, they come out of the woodwork when they feel it's now safe to be honest.

I knew many would be angry with Evilore, but I was not prepared for this outpouring of hatred towards LGBTQ+ and minorities. I just feel sad.

Call me crazy, but I feel like it should be safe to be honest on a discussion board.

You asking for racism, xenophobia, outright lies, ignorance and being disingenuous to become validated on GAF?

Because that's what an honest Trump supporter actually looks like, and if they got banned, it was very likely for that reason, and not because they simply supported the piece of shit.

You're falling for it.

You can't even tell me how I'm a gamergator or what that is even supposed to convey. You're literally using me as a boogeyman and can't even show me how I'm wrong or bad.

And you're right I'm breaking my silence, because I'm betting that I'm 100% right that this is a paradigm shift at Gaf. No one is going to come sweep me away for respectfully having a differing opinion, and if I'm wrong, cast me into the dust with all these tantrum throwing ex-users who are fleeing. I have nothing to lose on this proposition.

Link

The Autumn Wind

I mean sure, go nuts. Just remember that similar to the First Amendment, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

I knew many would be angry with Evilore, but I was not prepared for this outpouring of hatred towards LGBTQ+ and minorities. I just feel sad.

It's quite funny how it's not even about Evilore for them. It just shows how much they don't care. They want to assert the idea of a "less extreme" mod team and how people should be allowed to disagree with others. They do this without actually talking about context because even they know deep down context doesn't align with them.

All those people who fear of speaking up I see you.

Either you were not able to articulate your point with facts and believable arguments either those points were abhorrent.

No one gets banned here for voicing a balanced opinion.

Dogpilled? Maybe but articulate your point and it'll stop, no reason to fear discourse...

Unless you have undefensible views...

What I mean is saying shit to sound good and not really doing anything but trying to look like a moral superior to someone. It's a way to communicate with like-minded individuals that you are disassociating with someone or something and it comes off cultish IMO. It's nauseating.

Mods thought this scandal was 100% real, or at least thought for sure it would be perceived as 100% real, so they got out ahead of any action by Tyler to preemptively look like such great people, such bastions of humanity because they are morally against rape. Everyone is against rape, get over yourself.

Wow, you really think that Evillore wouldn't have done anything like this or would be incapable of it? The moderating team were closer to Evillore than any of us, and them trusting that alleged victim over him says quite a bit.

Looking morally superior means fucking nothing in this forum, telling people off is what it's really about. Fuck you, yo, you disrespect every fucking person you reply to with your bullshit shade. The point of the thread was to assert that people would be accepted here and here you come rolling in with this crap.

Your bullshit of everyone supporting decency towards any minority group or even against rape is ludicrous. We're rather recently accepting the idea of a man being raped and more seriously addressing rape on campus. Some folks just want to get their rocks off, and don't care how they do it. But hey, what do I know, it's not like my partner is a rape victim or anything.

Can a mod please close my account? Not only am I junior member, but I would rather that no one be able to access my account information.

You can't even tell me how I'm a gamergator or what that is even supposed to convey. You're literally using me as a boogeyman and can't even show me how I'm wrong or bad.

And you're right I'm breaking my silence, because I'm betting that I'm 100% right that this is a paradigm shift at Gaf. No one is going to come sweep me away for respectfully having a differing opinion, and if I'm wrong, cast me into the dust with all these tantrum throwing ex-users who are fleeing. I have nothing to lose on this proposition.

You haven't even articulated any opinions, just wagged your boner around now that you can express them.

Wagging boners all over here lately.

ckaneo

All those people who fear of speaking up I see you.

Either you were not able to articulate your point with facts and believable arguments either those points were abhorrent.

No one gets banned here for voicing a balanced opinion.

Dogpilled? Maybe but articulate your point and it'll stop, no reason to fear discourse...

Unless you have undefensible views...

I already gave an example.
I was banned for saying that nintendo had the right to fire a girl if they found out she was a prositute. Not that she was one, just if they had found out.

What Im most scared of is this not being the case anymore,

I’d rather have a leftist Gaf then anything else, that’s what made this site specially in these times where gaming culture is so misogynist and racist with the alt right and whatnot

Him and I are on complete opposite ends of the political spectrum but I enjoyed his occasional posts on Congressional processes.

Has PoliGAF OT Community migrated elsewhere? I miss the regulars already.

yeah, particularly given the new rules we've migrated to discord for the time being. DM me on Twitter if you want an invite

Bl@de

Outpouring hatred towards LGBTQ+ and minorities? Where? Towards GAF, Evilore and the (former) mod team? Yes. But who is attacking actual minorities?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I can just say there are courts to decide such things. Personally, the fact that she willingly engaged in a physical relationship with him afterwards and that even in her version of the events he did leave her alone after she complained, limits the severity of the case in the worst case to a level where I would say: It's shit behaviour (and very much so if what she says is correct) and if it happened as she said, she should consider legal action, but it does not make NeoGAF as a community completely unacceptable to me. NeoGAF is not "the church of Evilore", it is a place to discuss video games and all kinds of related topics with a diverse community.

Lego Boss

It absolutely was man. People get piled on for posing a different opinion in a thread. GAF was always a hivemind. There was a popular consensus, a popular way to think about things and if you veered from that way you got shamed by multiple people. I've seen this so many times here and I've only been here for like 4 years.

Yes, there were people who had different views, but if you had a different view it seemed like the communities mission to instantly discredit you and shame you for it.

Shamed and then banned.

I can just say there are courts to decide such things. Personally, the fact that she willingly engaged in a physical relationship with him afterwards and that even in her version of the events he did leave her alone after she complained, limits the severity of the case in the worst case to a level where I would say: It's shit behaviour (and very much so if what she says is correct) and if it happened as she said, she should consider legal action, but it does not make NeoGAF as a community completely unacceptable to me. NeoGAF is not "the church of Evilore", it is a place to discuss video games and all kinds of related topics with a diverse community.

I mean, the guy shut the site down and then wiped 50% of it so it wouldn't come back to haunt him or be used against him and has openly banned users (and added a good ol "fuck you" or "suck my dick" along with the ban) for simply disagreeing with him.

It absolutely has been and is now more than ever the Church of Evilore

Where are you seeing this? Am I blind or am I reading the wrong threads?

Yup, I am also really curious about these 'outpouring of hatred towards the LGBTQ + minorities'...

Is it happening today and in these forums?

I did notice one joke 'ban me" thread where the thread had the 'N' word with the hard 'R' in the title... Upon going in the thread, there wasn't anything fundamentally racist in it, it was just nonsense, gibberish... Is that the thread you're referring to?

Care to site some stuff please?

Makes sense though given those types aren't the ones in danger of losing their accounts.

Not that I'm defending them.

Dude, you're so childish it's actually making me laugh.
Ooh can i play?
It is gonna be so much better without the biased mods and their pet goons stirring up dog piles. I'm gonna be exercising so much logic and reason from now on. So refreshing!
It's amazing at how oblivious many of you were/are. Truly amazing!
sGv6KKYXRgKQ2D6qtFG3iw.png

Outpouring hatred towards LGBTQ+ and minorities? Where? Towards GAF, Evilore and the (former) mod team? Yes. But who is attacking actual minorities?

Where are you seeing this? Am I blind or am I reading the wrong threads?

Yup, I am also really curious about these 'outpouring of hatred towards the LGBTQ + minorities'...

I did notice one joke 'ban me" thread where the thread had the 'N' word with the hard 'R' in the title... Upon going in the thread, there wasn't anything fundamentally racist in it, it was just nonsense, gibberish... Is that the thread you're referring to?

I'm sorry, I know I said I was going to sleep but I had to reply to these posts.

Why can't you just listen to us? We're telling you we're being attacked and instead of hearing us you insist we prove it to you. We're not crazy or liars!

ckaneo

With context it would be better.

I don't even have your post.

There was a girl fired from Nintendo and there was a massive controversial thread on it. I guess my point is that my viewpoint is at least worth discussion.

The main thing is the mod in question was noticeably unable to argue the reason fro the ban on appeal

JayBabay

I'm sorry, I know I said I was going to sleep but I had to reply to these posts.

Why can't you just listen to us? We're telling you we're being attacked and instead of hearing us you insist we prove it to you. We're not crazy or liars!

I'm Syrian, I'd say we are a minority and underrepresented in a lot of facets of America. I don't disagree with you, I want to see for myself if there are truly people that are coming out with these hateful remarks openly. I did not see them and I'm not trying to stress you out over it either, get some rest and please don't take offense.

They're not going to come out right and say it, they want to be more open to discussion. It's a lot of the "you should be able to disagree with each other" and "maybe it won't be so extreme" or "you were dog piled if you were wrong, shamed, then banned".

Let's look at those key words that are parroted around tonight. Where do you think a lot of these people would disagree with so vehemently that they would be banned? Why do you think they're glad social and political issues are gone? Because it didn't jive with them because they held pretty bad opinions and were slapped for expressing them poorly. They're not happy they can't scream "PLAYSTATION IS BEST SO SUCK IT!", they're happy they can finally say they never have to talk about issues pertaining to minorities, women, or anything that could affect the status quo. This jubilation is telling because the hate for the OT seems to be squarely directed at politics and nothing like MLB, anime, or even nickleback-GAF. We all get their aim but they don't want to come out and say it cause even they know they can't go 100% yet.

Yoshi

I mean, the guy shut the site down and then wiped 50% of it so it wouldn't come back to haunt him or be used against him and has openly banned users (and added a good ol "fuck you" or "suck my dick" along with the ban) for simply disagreeing with him.

It absolutely has been and is now more than ever the Church of Evilore
All the moderating acts occuring before NeoGAF had its time off I am mostly unaware of. If it is as you said then this was poor moderation behaviour. And I acknowledge that moderation towards topics concerning Evilore as a person was always a bit questionable. But it's just the thing: It's a privately owned website and the trolling that was going on here when the site closed was unsustainable anyway. I think I have not engaged with Evilore ever, he's operating this forum, but other than that he does not play a huge role for my experience of the forum. And other mods were using their moderating powers to stengthen their views in questionable ways as well, just think of Bish.

Seldom will you find a privately owned place that accepts all too rough discussions of misbehaviour of their owners and it is not uncommon for there to be a double standard in this regard. Since Evilore is not the main topic of this board, or much of a topic anyway, it is acceptable to me. In my eyes, NeoGAF is not the church of Evilore.

Do you think it's unfair to ask for some kind of evidence? this is a forum, with discourse, text as evidence.

I am genuinely curious, I hope I am not sounding interrogatory... Is this happening in your Personal Message inboxes or something?

I feel ashamed to bring this up, because it doesn't really matter, but I am also a minority for the record...

Bl@de

This is a message board. Everything is archived. So it's pretty easy to post examples of attacks. And I'm sure most of the people will condemn those attacks. But people using hyperbole always talk about all this hatred and never post examples.

Yoshi

If it is happening in the public forum, it can be good to know where, also to voice our support: It is completely inacceptable to insult or throw hateful comments towards minorities (in particular targeting their minority status). You are very welcome here and a diverse range of views helps to have a fruitful discussion. If PMs are used to harass you, I hope you relay them to the mods and get through this rough period, where some trolls feel empowered to behave like assholes around here.

Mohonky

Yeah, but the problem isnt respecting minorities/lgbt

You have to be blind or deaf to not acknowledge Neogaf has a clear problem when it comes to being an echo chamber, over-empowered mods, and what can only be described as a toxic environment for dissenting opinions. Even ones with good intentions. Homophobic and racist individuals should be banned outright, but neo gaf had an environment where I could have been banned for defending Evilore. (not that I am, just an example).

Been saying it for years, thats why I avoid some discussions.

Jathaine

They're not going to come out right and say it, they want to be more open to discussion. It's a lot of the "you should be able to disagree with each other" and "maybe it won't be so extreme" or "you were dog piled if you were wrong, shamed, then banned"

Have you ever considered that some people may genuinely believe this?

Wamb0wneD

Have you ever considered that some people may genuinely believe this?

Just a friendly reminder that Subpar Spatula put me on his ignore list after I put his disingenuous BS on blast an hour ago or so. That's always how it goes. Get put in a corner, point out you don't belong there for obvious reasons, get put on ignore because otherwise the condescending all knowing morally right dude would have to admit he was wrong once and can't just proceed moving in his echo chamber.
I'm one of those "you were dog piled if you were wrong, shamed, then banned" people. In his mind I was wrong and therefore the ban was inevitable and the ban confirms that I was wrong. Too bad I never was banned. It's some truly pathetic reasoning.

Consumer

I'm interested to see whether or not the community can redeem itself; the current purge of the hive seems fairly promising.

If you are a member of this hive – someone to get offended by the term SJW, and rebuke any opinion that ever-so-slightly strays from your own – then I hope you're eventually able to gain some degree of self-awareness. But I fear the hive is of an older generation, inflexible to change, yet clearly young enough to have internalized such extremist values of "progression" – I'd reckon late 20s & 30s.

I'd accumulated hundreds of posts in the first few months of joining GAF, but I gradually stopped posting/visiting as every thread turned into the same old meme of jerking each other off while promptly ostracizing any autonomous "outsiders"; it got embarrassing to be a GAF member, frankly.

For those seeking redemption / self-actualization, start by looking into the mirror and acknowledging there's an issue. My last GAF visit was 30 days ago, and I promptly left after cringing to
this thread where users are unironically hoping VR fails solely out of spite, and labelling any critics a "white supremacist"...

People who want to see proof aren't inherently your enemy, they want to contextualize the situation so as to get a more informed stance. No need to further victimize yourself here.

And honestly, if someone is claiming something, their words carry more weight if they have something to substantiated those claims: ie, proof. It will only help your cause.

It's funny to see how the same people who complain about power hungry mods seem to be okay with the fact that EviLore nuked a big part of the site just to avoid being called out as much as possible.

weekev

Banned
I agree with your post but I can’t in good conscience keep posting here knowing that discussing things here justifies that hypocritical behaviour where he has previously criticised people for victim blaming. It’s sad that GAF won’t be the same, RESETERA won’t scratch the itch and the fantastic community that was here is irreparably damaged.

Top Bottom