• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Windows/Linux/Apple/Android Homescreen Thread (2013 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
ibpP8TaLsf6xnO.png

First things first, the thread is now yearly. Secondly, I hope to have this thread kinda merge all of the various screenshot threads (there's like 50 billion of em for each platform) just so there's a bit more discussion on customization. I understand that there are specific details that are better handled in specific threads, and that is fine. For now though I don't own every platform so any info to add to the OP (if it's a complete guide i'm just going to link to the post because the thread has gotten overly bloated)

ibyo8qnqLBkWN3.png

Taking a Screenshot:
  • Windows: For Windows 7 and below, press PRINTSCREEN on your keyboard. It will copy the screenshot to your clipboard where you can paste it into an image editor and save it. For Windows 8, press WINKEY + PRINT SCREEN. For WP8, press POWER + WINDOWS BUTTON.
  • Apple: On OSX, press COMMAND + SHIFT + 3. On IOS, press the POWER/SLEEP and HOME button at the same time.
  • Linux: This varies from distro to distro, but usually simply pressing the PRINTSCREEN key on your keyboard works.
  • Android: Varies from device to device, it is usually POWER + VOLUME DOWN. If not there are apps on the play store (usually require root) that can capture it for you.

Resizing your desktop (optional):
  • If you are posting multiple shots, or your desktop resolution is very large, please try thumbnailing your image before you post it (or just post the screen in
    tags so that the forum software auto-resizes it
    ) so that users can browse through the thread. How to do that, use one of the free image editing software listed below.
Free Image Editing Software:

Image Hosting Services:
  • Here a couple image hosting services so that you can upload your image:

Minus
    Imgur
    Abload

i3FIcUBJ5d1IG.png

Posting your pic in the thread.
  • Please post sources If you can. Many users look to this thread to find cool wallpapers, it would be appreciated if you can post it. If not, try using tineye to see if you can find it (detailed below)

Someone didn't post their source

iAQgScLfscyJQ.png

Best place to start, seeing as it's the most important part of your desktop, the Wallpaper. Something you stare at (when you don't have 15+ windows open working), you want it to be appealing. Windows 7 has some very, very nice ones by default (they are all hidden away in C:\Windows\Web), but if you want extra ones here are a couple sites to get you started (GAF members can add sites as well, just as long as they have good high-res images, and are "reasonably" SFW).

il3iJ4VGHhETC.png

Windows 7/8:

Windows Phone 8:
  • Check out the Windows Phone 8 OT thread for discussion on Windows Phone.
    Recommended Apps: <help needed here please>

ivwtZIWMOPN5Z.png

OSX:

IOS:
  • Check out <need help here please> for resources on IOS customization.
    Recommended Apps: <help pretty please?>

ibvazXyEmnDaX5.png

• Check out http://gnome-look.org/ for an all-in-one stop for GTK 2 and 3 customization.
    Recommended Apps: <help pretty please?>

im6TJtR2R2Jro.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All DESKTOPS FROM ALL PLATFORMS ARE WELCOME!​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Once again Please POST SOURCES. If you can't post your source for some reason. Say it in your post and GAF detective work will find source if enough requests are made.
  • It would also be great if you could post sources for your icon sets. If this isn't possible. Don't worry too much about it. Anything you bring up will be added to the OP.

So please! Show us what your desktop looks like!

Threi

notag
Sorry if its a bit bare, I don't want my OP to be a huge infodump anymore. Anyways my stuffs:

Desktop (Win8):
source

Nexus 7 (Stock 4.2.1):
source

Infuse 4G (CM10.1 Jellybean 4.2.1):

Looks like you need help with the Linux part, OP?

This seems popular for gnome people:
http://gnome-look.org/
Well I do know about GTK customization to an extent (usually dabbled around with it in Ubuntu until Canonical forced Unity down everyone's throat) but thanks, i'm going to add that to the OP.

Quick

Banned
I've been thinking about dabbling in Linux. Is Mint the best and/or easiest to try?

Sorry to go off-topic.

I've been thinking about dabbling in Linux. Is Mint the best and/or easiest to try?

Sorry to go off-topic.
I would recommend Mint because it is very user friendly, plus it is also based on Ubuntu which is one of the most popular distros so you can still get all of the same programs.

Biscuits

My new N4 homescreen:
Wallpaper is concept art from Mirror's Edge, I think its called PK Training.
Trying to go minimal and fit everything I need on one page. Every app has an additional swipe up gesture that loads a similar app. I just need a place to put my calendar but it just doesn't fit.
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do something like this?

What's the skin? I love Nude and this looks similar.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
My desktop is mostly some background from interfacelift + Computer + Recycle bin. That's all you need with proper use of Windows libraries and favorites.

I'm a developer and I still see people with XP with a sea of icons on their desktop. It scares me.

gokieks

My desktop is mostly some background from interfacelift + Computer + Recycle bin. That's all you need with proper use of Windows libraries and favorites.

I'm a developer and I still see people with XP with a sea of icons on their desktop. It scares me.

I think you're missing the point of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom