• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential FPSs - 2013 edition Results

gblues

Banned
One thing you can infer from this list is that there are a royal shitton of really good FPS games out there. I mean, even down into the upper-90's you're getting really good games like No One Lives Forever or Dark Forces 3
fuck whatever dumbass LucasArts exec decided to call it "Jedi Knight 2"
. There's a bunch scattered throughout that I don't care for, but I think there's a case for each game to be in the list even if you don't agree with it's ranking.

Now I feel bad that I missed the thread to vote on these. CS deserves to be higher. And it's a travesty that System Shock 2 didnt make the list. Based on this single omission I will now declare that all of GAF has shitty taste in games and your opinions about anything will be forever tainted in my mind.

PS: Bioshock is pretty good, but System Shock 2 shits all over it in every way possible.

Grief.exe

Its apparent from people who have been replaying Bioshock 1 in preparation for Infinite that Bioschock hasn't aged quite as well as some of these other shooters on the list.

I have to wonder, what the hell was going on in the voting thread? This list seems severely flawed. The RPG list was, objectively, pretty solid.

Overall a strong list, in my opinion the order is way out. Call of Duty 2 finishing with 4 votes in comparison to Modern Warfare 2's 13 votes baffles me along with many others but the order doesn't matter so much.

The only part of this that will cause problems is that you can revisit some titles such as Bioshock and get the full enjoyment, whereas a title such as Halo 2 that has no online anymore through the normal route won't have that same impact so should people take that into consideration when voting? They need to hurry up and invent time machines!

Halo CE and 2 still have a somwhat decent amount of players online on PC (enough to play a match online at least).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Playstation fans had to vote for something

It's the only explanation
GAF's 2009 FPS of the year.

Has there been a better multiplayer evolution since Warzone?

It's better than the rest of recent games purely because you didn't have to pull the left trigger and then the right trigger to play the game.

Edit: This wouldn't be a post in the results of a voting thread if I didn't get outraged at the list: Gahbidge list. People that voted are dumb. Quake 3 is the best. Everyone else die in a fire. Etc.

Zia

no, but that's cool if you believe that

Thanks! I've certainly played enough of both at high enough a level to know better. ; )

Edit: At least we agree that it's a pretty poor list. If someone had handed me the numbers without a source I would have assumed it was from IGN. Maybe.

COD 4, Goldeneye and Killzone 2 are hilariously out of place.

COD 4 was amazing, Goldeneye was great in splitscreen. KZ2 I'll have to agree with you. Absolute joke.

GAF's 2009 FPS of the year.

Has there been a better multiplayer evolution since Warzone?

It's better than the rest of recent games purely because you didn't have to pull the left trigger and then the right trigger to play the game.

Hipfire brah.

I know what you mean, but still, KZ2 was average at best.

Bioshock at #2 and System Shock 2 isn't even in the top 25. Gaf, you have failed this internet.

I'm pretty sure I didn't vote so I'm partially to blame.

I know this probably is the case, but am I the only one who preferred Bioshock to Half Life 2? I just found the world more interesting...

antitrop

Counter-Strike is more influential than anything positive you can say about Team Fortress 2. CS deserves the higher spot, here.

It's almost embarrassing. It is rather upsetting.

Guevara

I know this probably is the case, but am I the only one who preferred Bioshock to Half Life 2? I just found the world more interesting...

Not at all. Bioshock really is that good. It's the most fun FPS I've ever played AND has the best setting.

HL2 has a great setting but so so gameplay. (Who thought the airboat was a good idea?)

Wow. Bioshock, MW and Halo are waaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than I would've placed. Bioshock is great fun, but second place seems awfully steep for a game whose actual shooting doesn't always feel the best.

Mileena

Banned
Thanks! I've certainly played enough of both at high enough a level to know better. ; )

Edit: At least we agree that it's a pretty poor list. If someone had handed me the numbers without a source I would have assumed it was from IGN. Maybe.

define high level? I refuse to believe anyone who got out of open would think TF2 is better than CS.

Portal is praised for its puzzles and Fear for its AI, not sure what you're talking about there. Bioshock, HL2, and CoD4 are the only ones I'd consider really scripted on the list, most seem to be there for their MP components. And I don't really game on PC that much.

I've never played HL1 or KZ2, so I can't talk about those really.

Portal and Fear still follow the smae fairly liner paths that CoD4 and Bioshock do despite having other strengths. I'm just trying to point out that heavy scripting exists in a lot of these titles and to leverage that against Bioshock and CoD4 is an unfair assessment. For full disclosure I don't think Bioshock belongs on this list either, but because I think its all flash and has bad "game" mechanics. The same can not be said of CoD4 where it might not be your favorite style shooting, but it is still responsive and always does what you tell it to.

Not at all. Bioshock really is that good. It's the most fun FPS I've ever played AND has the best setting.

HL2 has a great setting but so so gameplay. (Who thought the airboat was a good idea?)

Yeah the airboat was really awful... Did not enjoy that at all.

Replay the two of them, HL2 hold up after 9 years, Bioshock does not hold up quite as well and it's only 6 years old.

I haven't played either of them in a while, so I might do that over Easter.

Anyone know if the PS2 port of the first Half Life is any good?

Concept17

Counter-Strike is more influential than anything positive you can say about Team Fortress 2. CS deserves the higher spot, here.

It's almost embarrassing. It is rather upsetting.

Agreed. CS should really be in the top 3, if not 1.

Bioshock should not be in the top 20.

rar

you can tell there's a lot of console-only people on gaf

here's my top 10 list, no order:

Doom
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3: Arena
Counter-Strike
Half-Life
System Shock 2
Tribes 2
Battlefield 2
Deus Ex

Calmine

All a great list, I think I've played most of them. I think Dishonored more recently should be on there although that not really considered a FPS right?

vocab

Probably. I hate everything about bioshock except the intro. The lov fov that gives me eyestrain, the constant audio whiplash of sixteen sounds playing at the same time, the boring gunplay, and the fucking plumbing are things i hate. I love everything half life so i'm really biased, but I just couldn't get into bioshock. I have system shock 2, and would rather play that.

Yawnier

Banned
Having just finished it a month and a half ago, I thought that Bioshock was a solid FPS, but ranked at #2 of all time?

Yikes, that does seem a bit high for it though IMO.

I'm also happy that Killzone 2 got the rank it did, it is the most fun I've had with any FPS all this gen with the exception of COD4 at launch.

Quake III Arena isn't even in the top ten.

Edit: And, I'm honestly not trying to be rude, but who would choose to play GoldenEye 007 in 2013, and why?

Goldeneye is super fun even now. Though most people have trouble with the controls.

Loxley

I'm going to poke my head in and say that while I have zero problem with HL2 coming in at #1, some of you need to realize that for a lot of us that didn't play HL2 way back when, there are definitely aspects of that game that have not aged well at all.

I'm sure physics-based see-saw puzzles were hot shit that blew everyone's minds back in 2004, but these days it's so pedestrian that a lot of the puzzles in the game come off as obnoxious road-blocks - not fun brain-benders. There are also a number of levels that really out-stay their welcome, and let's not forget the oh-so-fun level loads (not a deal-breaker obviously, but still an annoying remnant of it's time).

Each and every game on that list has a good reason for being there (yes, including Bioshock and CoD4). You can debate about their placement to your heart's content, but to make the claim that it's bullshit that two of the most influential and important shooters of this generation don't belong on there at all just smells of pretentiousness.

Solid list(except for Killzone 2 and those controls).

In all likelihood, Bioshock and COD4 are going to be looked on more favourably as time goes on. Deal with it brahs.

I think you guys should have had separate rankings for FPS single-player and multiplayer experiences. It's just unnecessarily difficult to compare games like Metroid Prime to Battlefield 1942. Also, games may have mediocre to decent single-player modes, but absolutely amazing multiplayer modes (like Halo 2).

Also, there should have been a minimum voting age to avoid crap like Killzone 2 to ever come close to any "Essential FPS" list.

Concept17

Solid list(except for Killzone 2 and those controls).

In all likelihood, Bioshock and COD4 are going to be looked on more favourably as time goes on. Deal with it brahs.

Being on the list is fine, sure, but they are placed ahead of games they really shouldn't be.

This list is certainly influenced by single-player-only-gaf.

I feel it's incredibly appropriate for Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament to be next to each other on the list.

Q3A better than UT confirmed.

Myriadis

Bioshock being that high is really good, one of the best games I played and I'm really not a fan of FPS games.
I personally wouldn't have placed Half-Life 2 (the main game) on top, rather somewhere lower on the Top 10, since I think that it has too many pacing problems and is, despite rewarding some exploration, still to linear for me. But to each their own, and I think that Episode 2 is indeed a masterpiece.
Metroid Prime 2 on 60th place is a crime, but at least Metroid Prime 1 is up there. My personal favorite.

Edit: And, I'm honestly not trying to be rude, but who would choose to play GoldenEye 007 in 2013, and why?

Given that I have no problems playing Jet Force Gemini, I guess that I won't have trouble playing Goldeneye. Older games are more playable than you might think.

Sneds

Anyone know if the PS2 port of the first Half Life is any good?

It's the only version of Half Life I've played and it's definitely playable. I'd recommend changing the control scheme quite a bit though. They also have a strange lock-on system for targetting enemies but I suppose you don't have to use that. Overall I'd say go for it if it's the only version you can play.

Top Bottom