• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential FPSs - 2013 edition Results

Corky was too busy trollin' people in the jungle to vote.

I'm sure everybody displeased with the results will show up to vote next year.

Surely!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
As much as I love SS2 and think it's better than Bioshock, I can't say it's shooting mechanics are better. It's strengths are found in everything but gunplay. Maybe next year it will move higher up, since the game finally got a re-release.

The HL2 hate is odd. That game has gotten damn near every award possible for it's campaign. I don't think it's the best HL game (Opp For), but it's campaign is better than most of the COD knockoffs that plague shooters nowadays.

The list isn't that bad. If anything, it highlights how far the genre has fallen since even PS2 era, and that's not even counting the PC.

Next time vote.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's so weird that even though FPS aren't anywhere close to my favorite genre, I played at least a bit of most of this list. I still really need to play Deus Ex, Half Life 1 and Bioshock to completion one of these days.

Sweet thread viewtiful. GAF has spoken.If you are serious about FPS you'd already have one.

Pretty damn true-ish statement, right here. The only console shooter in my all-time Top 5 is Halo: CE and I've only had my own gaming rig for a year. Granted, I'd been exposed to PC shooters through other people (family, friends) and THEIR computers, but yeah. FPS games are my favorite genre due to the high potential for skill-based competition. There tends to be a lot more shooters of that caliber on the PC.

muddream

Banned
When I think of essential FPS it goes

Doom -> Quake -> Half-Life -> Halo -> Call of Duty -> Half-Life 2 -> Modern Warfare

When I think of best FPS...well that's highly subjective

nullref

I think you guys should have had separate rankings for FPS single-player and multiplayer experiences. It's just unnecessarily difficult to compare games like Metroid Prime to Battlefield 1942. Also, games may have mediocre to decent single-player modes, but absolutely amazing multiplayer modes (like Halo 2).

This would have improved things, I think. That way, people who really prefer one or the other could stick to ranking what they know.

54-46!

It's amazing how well DOOM/2 holds up. I played the shareware for a bit way back when but only recently played them in their entirety last year.

I love how fast you move compared to the monsters, the way you circle strafe around a bunch of them, let them kill each other and then line up your own shots. There's great enemy variety as well, so much.. fun.

I still haven't played through Final DOOM though, made it half-way through TNT, there's some great level design in there as well.

Top Bottom