• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential FPSs - 2013 edition Results

I know I would sound like some kind of heretic for saying this but I didn't think Half Life 2 was that special. All the mods and the fan-created content that came from the engine is really cool but the game itself didn't seem that ground breaking to me. The campaign was an enjoyable experience the first time through but it never gave me the urge to play it again. I have to admit, I replayed it around a year ago and I felt that there was a decent period in the game where I just feel like I'm going to the next point to another (like get out of boat/buggy and check out this place for supplies or a switch for a gate). Granted I'm not trying to make it out to be a bad game, I don't regret my time with game at all.

Riposte

I'm just glad I'm not the only guy here who played Breakdown, lol. I thought that was a pretty neat game back on the OG Xbox

Breakdown is cool, but with its lock-on aiming and minimal focus on shooting, calling it a FPS would be quite a stretch.

Booshka

Somehow I missed this vote, wish I could threw some points toward Shadowrun, can't believe there wasn't one vote for it. Excellent shooter.

I like most of the list, but Quake 3 and Counter-Strike should be much higher.

vilmer_

There's a ton of crossover between the aspects of what people consider the "best" FPS. Lots of factors involved such as age, etc (people here are rather young). Speaking as an old man who grew up on Doom, Quake, UT etc Bioshock doesn't even come close to deserving a spot in a top 50 FPS list, let alone a top 5. Seriously number 2?

Kreunt

Banned
So if I'm wanting to explore great, influential PC FPSs that predate Half-Life and hold up fine, where should I start? Quake? Doom?

in no particular order:
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Quake
Heretic
Rise of the Triad
Unreal
Hexen
they're all going to feel pretty archaic

Dennis

Banned
Shameful that Crysis - the best FPS ever made - barely made the Top 10 and even more shameful that STALKER is only number 25.

And good lord at Half-Life 2 taking the top spot. Not our finest hour.

RdN

Great job. Love the graphics for the titles.

It's also pretty damn good list. I concur with most of the picks and places.

Bioshock at number 2? Goes to show what an overall lame genre it is. I do enjoy shooters, but reading this list didn't make me nostalgic at all. Apart from Metroid Prime maybe.

JaxJag

Banned
Bioshock at number 2? Goes to show what an overall lame genre it is. I do enjoy shooters, but reading this list didn't make me nostalgic at all. Apart from Metroid Prime maybe.

It's crazy, it's almost like the entire genre didn't gain popularity until the mid 90s.

Arthea

Shocked by how low DooM, UT and Quake is, and how high Bioshock.
Placing is kinda weird.
How is Bioshock essential FPS? Serious question

bee

the only thing i like about the list is that crysis made it into the top 10, quake 3 at 14 and stalker at 25 made me laugh though

Derrick01

Banned

No matter how many times I play it I just cannot figure out why people think it's one of the greatest games ever. It's a nice game but not even the best FPS campaign I've played.

Then again I find myself wondering the same with almost every Valve game.

Geoff9920

I wish PC gaf was as represented in the RPG list as they are here.
I blame the JRPG console fans for outvoting the PC games. Too many square-enix fans out there... :p
Shameful that Crysis - the best FPS ever made - barely made the Top 10 and even more shameful that STALKER is only number 25.

Stalker is too divisive of a game to make it extremely high on the list. The people who like it love it but it'll never be the popular kid in school.

Im sad that I didnt see the Darkness 1 represented at all. that game was sick. i still remember the major plotpoints of that story pretty vividly and i havnt played it in 4 years.

2San

While I could agree with the RPG list. This list doesn't match my interests at all. People like their linear games I guess and Bioshock is meh. I knew Half-life was loved, but the best FPS's has to offer? Really and then people have the gall to laugh at console FPS's.

Imo Q3A, UT, Crysis or Halo needs to be on top.

Is FEAR still good? Never played that one, since I dislike scary games. :x

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How is Portal an FPS

Portal is a first person video game where the objective of the game is to shoot portals on walls and solve puzzling using your portalgun. It's a pretty wellknown game.

Sedinus

Neo Member
Portal is a first person video game where the objective of the game is to shot portals on walls and solve puzzling using your portalgun. It's a pretty wellknown game.

3496769030.png

A first-person puzzle game with an intersting gimmicky mechanic scored higher than DN3D, Quake, Serious Sam, Tribes and goddamn DOOM.

I call bs on that.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
3496769030.png

A first-person puzzle game with an intersting gimmicky mechanic scored higher than DN3D, Quake, Serious Sam, Tribes and goddamn DOOM.

I call bs on that.

Welcome to 'Top X lists'

Besides, Painkiller is at 70th place - that alone should invalidate this and, because of the magnitude of aforementioned travesty, any other list ever created by man.

Top Bottom