• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT#7: The Future Diary a.k.a Mirai Nikki (11/31-12/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilisk

And Yuki is right back to depending on Yuno. I'm glad that the two enemies won, since it would have been far beyond reason for them not to, but why just take the diaries instead of destroying them?

Because then the show would be over lol

It's probably to switch things up (instead of Yuki and Yuno winning every encounter) and to let Minene do something while she's still an ally

Cornbread78

Yuno was right once again, when will Yuki learn? Daddy could have killed his son since he has no idea about the game... Pretty damn good episode. Who was that other diary holder there?

phaze

You guys are finally getting to the "good" parts.

grinchygslt.gif

Kvik

Episode 16

Deadbeat dad appears. Some good bonding moments between Yuki and his dad, and well spotted ruse by Yuno leading to her (and Yuki) getting their diaries back. Must be some sharp eyes if she can spot nicks and dents of their diaries from a distance. I wonder if the yet-unknown next diary holder and the one who ordered Yuki's dad to destroy Yuki's diary is the same one.

Episode 16
I took a chance that the spoiler in the opening that poster mentioned before was about the diary holders in the previous episode, and that turned out to be right. The opening was fine, though it's odd how the Yuno footage was reused, and so much focus was given to the dead diary holders.

Speaking of which, I forgot to mention. With the ending changed, I just want to point out how silly it is that in the first ending, when they show each non-main diary holder, they do far away and clothed shots for everyone, except for the girl who was raped, who instead is depicted undressed in a close up of her body.

Of course, we have comedy sexual assault from Yuki's father. Minene talking about the principles that a terrorist follows, during the jogging scene, reminds me GAF's favorite meme, "the terrorist's law". I suppose it makes sense that the reason for not destroying Yuki and Yuno's diaries was to keep track of Minene. I figured that Yuki's father would turn out to be evil or be under duress to stop Yuki, since they were getting along.

Yuki, what the hell did you think was going to happen when you brought your father to the Sevenths? I figured that there would be a gun hidden in the flowers, not just the phones.

Episode 17

Oh my god this entire episode, that 7th backstory at the start with the students playing a "trick" on the seventh. "it's just a prank bro!!"

Then the stupid fight scene that looked pretty bad. I'm not even rooting for Yuki anymore, it's a shame that the sevenths had to die, they weren't even evil or anything, they deserved to win.

Shoutouts to Yuki's dad for being the most entertaining character of the episode, he just grabs the parchute and jumps from the tower.

I was in stitches at the end when Yuki saw his mother, thank you Mirai Nikki for being so dumb, it's just super funny to me.

The exploding tower is probably the worst looking thing I've ever seen in this show.
-----

Wonder if Yuki is actually gonna step up and become a man in the next few episodes.

JulianImp

Episode 17

Oh my god this entire episode, that 7th backstory at the start with the students playing a "trick" on the seventh. "it's just a prank bro!!"

You know that girl we don't like in our class? Why don't we, like, lure her into an abandoned place with a fake letter from her boyfriend and set her up to be raped by some guys? Sure sounds like fun, right?

Yeah...

Kvik

Episode 17

The 7ths are probably the most decent diary holder in the game. They didn't even set out to outright murder everyone. Even when the dude accidentally killing one of the rapist, the murder was just. But of course they just had to die. Nevermind Minene who killed quite a number of Yuki's classmates, she's walking free and still cosplaying as a nurse. Also since the egdy quota isn't fulfilled quite enough, let's do away with Yuki's mother too, delivering maximum emotional impact (for better or worse).

Evilisk

Episode 15

Yawn. Is Minene ever gonna do anything substantial on this show? You'd think for a character introduced so early, and with a Diary that'd theoretically be difficult to track, she would have done more than stick around in the most half-assed alliance ever.

The training segment was kinda dumb. Why exactly was Minene humoring the Dad again? Anyway, wanting to track down Minene with their Diaries is an interesting decision, though I'm still confused as to how all the other Diary Users are aware of the alliance. It's not like users that go against the Alliance have survived and told the others about it.

Oh yeah, I didn't mind Yuno suddenly being correct about the Dad because his appearance was kinda sudden. Though I'm really surprised they're up and about so quickly after the end of the last episode.

Episode 16

This was a surprisingly long episode for some reason.

The rape/near rape flashback was forced and unecessary as always, but I guess at least it wasn't like the lynchpin of the 7th's motivations (unlike Rape Priestess).

I was surprised to see them fleshed out. The author honestly didn't need to flesh them out (not compared to the other characters like Justice Guy and Dog Butler who were just really bizarre and really needed some explanation) but I appreciated it regardless. Unsurprisingly, they died because yeah. Well at least they got peaced out in a decent, and not completely terrible way. RIP 7ths.

I'm not entirely sure that Yuki's dad killing Yuki's mom was a necessary development at all. Wait, never mind I just realized, it's to have Yuno be justified when she inevitably kills him, isn't it? The last two diary holders look interesting. It seems that Chibi Baker was involved with the 7ths even before the game began, and yet we still don't seem to know a lot about he. I'm kinda interested in the author's angle for her.

Decided to check out the OP despite the warnings. Yeah it's pretty bad lol. There's a strange amount of focus on the other Diary Holders (despite them being dead). The last Diary Holder teased there looks pretty cool with all the phones. I think I'll skip it next episode though, the song is awful.

Episode 17
Backstory, so that means the Sevenths will die this episode. It's a shame, because they are more likable than the actual heroes. I was about to say this backstory was surprisingly non-edgy, but then rape. I was surprised by the late opening; I was thinking there wasn't going to be one.

The idea of yelling out what's on the diary in the middle of battle is still silly. Haha, douchbag dad. Jeez, don't tell me he's going to kill the mom.

The music when, uh, male Seventh is digging up the rubble was pretty good. And yup, the mom is dead.

Cornbread78

Well, fuck. I really liked the episode until that ending. The demise of 7th was pretty good and was surprisingly well written. However, damn, poor fucking Yuki... What a piece of shit father, seriously no need for that at all.

So for the next series, here are three choices :

- Mononoke
- Rozen Maiden (original)
- Tsuritama

What are the preferences here between the three?

Yomidi

I had some business so I got left behind, but I caught up.

Episode 17
Wow, this was dumb.
As if the show wasn't edgy enough, we needed a SECOND rape backstory. The 7ths aren't actually bad, they are probably the best Diary Holders( I think the biggest problem with the show is how lame the Diary Holders are).
And then the mother dies lol. Why even was the reason to kill her?

Cornbread78

I had some business so I got left behind, but I caught up.

Episode 17
Wow, this was dumb.
As if the show wasn't edgy enough, we needed a SECOND rape backstory. The 7ths aren't actually bad, they are probably the best Diary Holders( I think the biggest problem with the show is how lame the Diary Holders are).
And then the mother dies lol. Why even was the reason to kill her?

Wild guess, but it's to give Yuki motivation to win now, before this there was none..

phaze

Well, fuck. I really liked the episode until that ending. The demise of 7th was pretty good and was surprisingly well written. However, damn, poor fucking Yuki... What a piece of shit father, seriously no need for that at all.

So for the next series, here are three choices :

- Mononoke
- Rozen Maiden (original)
- Tsuritama

What are the preferences here between the three?

Didn't see the other two but can vouch for Mononoke.

Cornbread78

Damn, mom then dad? Wtf. So much going on in this episode including some Yuno backstory to show us why she is crazy... We assumed it was her parents in the hole and we were right. So who is the third body? Yuno still avoiding the question there. With his dad's death, we got confirmation on Yuki's motivation to become God. Most notible scene was the ending on the huge foreshadowing by Yuno telling Yuki she is destined to die to save his life, so he could survive... I guess we have our ending now...

Really good episode...

By the way, I really like that background music that plays during their "emotional" moments

https://youtu.be/R8Gq64AklT8

Episode 18
Flashback episode out of nowhere? What the hell, the girl that Yuki wrote a love letter for looks like his mother! It's pretty weird not seeing Yuno go straight to murder. Oh hey, we're actually getting Yuno backstory, and it's about as edgy as I expected, though missing the rape we've come to expect from backstories in this series.

Why is Nishijima just calmly talking to Yuno about the people she killed? Look, Yuki's dad, you aren't allowed a sob story. And I'm not going to feel bad about you dying. And all of a sudden, Yuki is a great fighter. Is going crazy really all it takes?

Kvik

And all of a sudden, Yuki is a great fighter. Is going crazy really all it takes?

Berserk mode is OP, but has long cooldown and hard to trigger.

Episode 18

Deadbeat dad didn't deserve even a tiny bit of redemption. I wouldn't be surprised when the DNA test eventually comes back, the owner of the 3rd skeleton probably has some interest in Yuki, romantic or otherwise. As for Yuno's parents, I suppose locking up your daughter in a 3x3 steel cage couldn't be good to her mental state.

Yomidi

Episode 18
That cage is one of the silliest thing I ever saw.
And the redemption of Yuki's dad was total bullshit, how does Yuki even accept his apologies? He killed your mother a day ago.
Oh well, I guess now Yuki has a reason to become a God.

Cornbread78

Wait, what the? How? How is she dead, Who is really Yuno then? Just when I thought we were going to get some Bonnie and Clyde parody stuff going on, we get this... crazy, crazy, crazy... wtf.

JulianImp

One of the weirder things I found in the show character design-wise was that woman with the chibi look in a world where nobody else looks like her. Every single other character uses normal anime proportions, but suddenly you have the Pillsbury dough boy as a character because, well... reasons.

Wait, what the? How? How is she dead, Who is really Yuno then? Just when I thought we were going to get some Bonnie and Clyde parody stuff going on, we get this... crazy, crazy, crazy... wtf.

And it's only getting better...

Cornbread78

One of the weirder things I found in the show character design-wise was that woman with the chibi look in a world where nobody else looks like her. Every single other character uses normal anime proportions, but suddenly you have the Pillsbury dough boy as a character because, well... reasons.

And it's only getting better...

Well, you don't often see fat people in anime, so..

Episode 19
Huh, I thought for sure that Eleventh would turn out to be the CEO of a corporation. What the hell @ Lelouch Yuki. Why does Minene have a squirrel? With all the focus placed on the third body in Yuno's house, I'm guessing that in a crazy twist, it will be Yuno, and the Yuno we know isn't the original. Oh what the hell, the alliance with Eighth was made off screen too?!

Now that Eighth is being made sympathetic, either she's going to die this episode or all of her children will. Oh, but I didn't expect Yuki to be the one to do it. And we suddenly have a car chase.

Yuno, you could have just shot Eleventh there. Oh hey, I was right about the corpse! Though with that explanation, couldn't she just have had a twin?

Evilisk

Episode 18
Yeah no I don't believe this guy, or Yuki forgiving him so quickly. Good riddance anyway. Yuki suddenly being a knife expert was pretty laughable. The rabbit costume was legit funny and hey we're actually getting a teensy bit of backstory from Yuno (though still not nearly enough).

Episode 19
The story's breezing past so quickly. Anyway, the 11th being the Mayor was an interesting development, though it's completely wasted by this show's awful Villain of the Week format. Yuki using his Diary as a sponge for information is interesting, but still didn't explain anything about how he figured out it was the Mayor.

Yuki and Yuno being excited over how they made their appearance at the Meeting was pretty cute. And of course, the plan was actually to kill Chibi Baker instead of the Mayor all along. I felt pretty bad for all the Apprentice Holders tbqh.

Yawn. I knew the third body had to be something stupid like it being Yuno. I don't know if it's a twin, or some other dumb shenanigan, but I'll know that it'll probably be something that makes Yuno look good or justified because of how the show is inherently biased towards her.

I'm kinda curious, do umbilical cords actually work like that? Also, why the hell did you not just shoot them? Okay so Akise's coming... so what? He has nothing to do with the game. You could still have shot him and the baker and still have time for this new development.

Is going crazy really all it takes?

In this show? Yes. Minene was hyping up Yuno back in Omekata-Kyo arc. Some stupid shit about "she's a psychopath" being the reason why she'd win against Justice Guy, or some other nonsense.

And all throughout this show, Yuno and her crazy ways are always shown as the best option for Yuki (only exception being the Exchange Diary Holders).

It's kinda annoying actually.

Episode 19
Why does Minene have a squirrel?

Minene's always had a squirrel. I definitely remember her having it one of the earlier episodes, it's just she doesn't always bring it with her.

Kvik

Episode 19

Wat. So who is Yuno Gasai, really? And when did she actually took over the real Yuno's identity. Are the memories where she got locked up in a cage belong to the real Yuno, or the fake one? Suddenly Yuki has this alpha male persona after being an omega for most of the series. I suppose he's a truly great actor now. Also the mayor is the only one with a smartphone!

Episode 20

Man, we're entering the end-game since all the initial characters are slowly being killed off, RIP my boy "cool cop", at least he made some progress with Minene in the end so he wasn't a total failure.

Also, Mur Mur is going to be evil at some point?? Man, she should get in line behind fake Yuno, Dough girl and Akise. The question is who'll be the first to enter Edge Mode.

It's cool that Yuki wasn't really the main character this time. What a player he's become

Oh, if you're already able to persuade a god into giving humanity godlike powers why bother to restrict it to phones that can easily be damaged by just a dart arrow?

PS:

You'll never be as smug as Akise.

Kvik

Episode 20

The mayor practically crowdsourcing future diary with #8's help. Nishijima raised a number of death flags by proposing to Minene. 15 mins later, he's out of the game, poor guy. Yuki turned ruthless all of a sudden (or finally just got desensitized from all the violence).

Cornbread78

Well, Yuki comes to save the day for 9th, well sort of. I think he's slowly losing his sanity like Yuno, but at least their common enemy is now 11th. That diary is insane and difficult to beat.

Yomidi

Episode 20
Yuki has become a full asshole now! And poor cop guy gets killed, he was one of the few character I liked( he's much better than Yuki's shitty friends).
I wonder if Mur Mur is going to be the final villain...

Episode 20
Yuno not being Yuno doesn't seem like anything more than a weird tidbit, not something of relevance, so I'm not sure why Akise is so surprised that Yuki didn't act on it.

Eleventh's plan is seriously just "everyone has a Future Diary, yolo"? This marriage and child bearing stuff is very sudden and death flaggy. I'm guessing Eleventh's diary is to predict specifically what other diary users are going to do. OK, how the hell were they able to escape so easily?

Seriously, what's the point of this? To make Minene's diary useless because it keeps changing? But then wouldn't everyone's diary change all the time? Oh, now they remember that Minene killed a bunch of students, but it's still treated as not that big of a deal. Well, I didn't expect Deus to randomly stab Minene.

What the hell is this motivation for Eleveth? How does evolution of the human race apply here? What kind of sense does it make for Deus to have to work with a human to create this survival game? Anyway, I guess diary peeking is close to what I guessed.

Wait, did the secretary always have his own diary? The way the mayor worded it made it seem like he's had this backup in place for a while, but Eleventh shouldn't have had the server ability until recently. Of course Nishijima died after this marriage stuff.

Yuno with a machine gun made me laugh. And seriously, she has a katana now?

Kvik

Episode 21

Yuno is a clone of Yuno confirmed. Well, I hope the eventual reveal of Yuno's true identity wouldn't be so cheap. The mayor's face when Yuno turned up behind him was hilarious. Meanwhile, Minene live by the sword, die by the sword. I wonder what Deus is scheming now.

Cornbread78

Wow, pretty good episode overall, surprisingly emotional and well written moment of death for 9th, but lackluster for 11th. Just who is Yuno? The background music was excellent. It will be interesting to see what is happening now that Dues is accelerating his own demise to throw a curve ball at Murmur's plans. Some Godly espionage going on there..

https://youtu.be/uIWUSd5O1L0

It's safe to say, the music is the best part if this anine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom