• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT#7: The Future Diary a.k.a Mirai Nikki (11/31-12/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomidi

END

It is? Of all the bad things I can't say that the structure of the first 20 episodes one of them, I have no clue as to how they could've improved it. What would be a better format?

I think that with the "Monster of the Week" format, most of the Diary Holders get way too little screentime. I would have liked to see more fighting between the other Diary Holders(like in that episode with Minene vs 3th) instead of having everyone go after Yukki and Yuno.

JulianImp

I think that with the "Monster of the Week" format, most of the Diary Holders get way too little screentime. I would have liked to see more fighting between the other Diary Holders(like in that episode with Minene vs 3th) instead of having everyone go after Yukki and Yuno.

I agree with this sentiment, but at the same time it feels like the whole point of the show was the (sick and twisted) relationship between Yukiteru and Yuno, so focusing too much on other diary holders would probably have dilluted that plot thread.

Even though she was absolutely crazy, clingy and overly jealous to the point of being paranoid whenever Yuki's interacting with anybody besides her Yuno's hunches always turn out to be right, forcing Yuki to reluctantly accept that being around her is actually what's best for him on top of being a total wimp for 90% of the show. Then, the show tries to make me feel sad about Yuno's ordeal, of all things.

She fixated on becoming Yuki's wife after she had already gotten back at her parents by locking them in the cage that was used to confine her and starving them to death. The thought that she was "saved" and given purpose by the whole "I'll become Yuki's wife" thing is absolutely preposterous IMO, since she had already crossed the line, and her twisted logic also resulted in a completely unhealthy "relationship" with Yuki.

While the show does certainly fit the "so bad it's good" criteria, it definitely isn't something I'd recommend to anyone unless they explicitly asked for such an anime (or a show with a yandere protagonist, I guess).

Evilisk

I don't agree at all with anyone else's impressions. This show is just pure garbage. I can't even laugh at it, it's just insultingly bad. I think what really peeves me off is that this show wants to be super edgy with rape cult and rape priestess, but also wants its happy end where everyone (even a terrorist and a serial killer) get off scot-free.

What I can't stand the most is how utterly wasted the Survival Game is, because it's really obviously just an excuse for Yuno to be a main character and still be justified. Just thinking about this show makes me want to write a story where the Survival Game is the actual focus and isn't playing second fiddle to the most annoying relationship in anime.

So in the entirety of this show, what was the most stupid thing that happened in it guys?

The stupidest thing was me not dropping it when I said I should have. I really, really gotta be harder on shows that I don't immediately like.

It is? Of all the bad things I can't say that the structure of the first 20 episodes one of them, I have no clue as to how they could've improved it. What would be a better format?

The structure is easily one of the worst parts. It's really hard to care about any of the other Diary Holders because you don't even know anything about them. The only characters that are reasonably developed (or at all) are Yuno, Yuki, Akise, Minene, Hinata and 8ths, and only one of those is actually a rival Diary Holder (Minene really doesn't count past her introduction).

Cornbread78

That OVA was too confusing for me. Too much going on there. I know they were trying to show how world #3 was the peaceful outcome with Yuki as #2's God, but as a "love story" it was weak, as a fighting show, it was weak most of the time, as a mystery it was weak, as a thriller, it was decent, but it was very entertaining and the music was amazing. At times, you could feel for the characters, but at other times, you had to cringe at it. I'm still in limbo at this because the OVA didn't help really; the original ending with Yuno dying was better.

Cornbread78

The next “Lets Watch” is up:
we kickin' it pretty old school with this one; over 10 yrs old, lol.

GVJ4c9y.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=190616193#post190616193

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom