• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGEO Station |OT| Bringing the 100 Mega Suck to PSN and PSP (Now with shit netcode)

V_Ben

Banned
duckroll said:
The only technical problem I see is that SNK Playmore technically wants to make more money out of people who actually want to use a game on both the PS3 and the PSP. :p

:lol

Dave Long

Banned
I will never understand people and their anger over pricing of classic games. If you wanted the carts and a system, you'd pay hundreds of dollars for the chance to play these games. If you want a collection of them, go get one of the crap emulations that have been released.

Bitching about something that's less than $10 a game is just asinine. If you don't like the games or don't think they're fun anymore, then skip the thread and go elsewhere. Why be such negative pricks about it?

They've included online play, which none of the games were ever created with that in mind. That alone justifies charging something more than $2 a game. I wonder, what price would you actually expect for these games individually? 50 cents? There just aren't eye rolls big enough for some of the posts in this thread IMO.

tzare

i thought the NGstation was the 'emulator' itself and the games were just 'roms'.
Whatever, i need RealBout Special and real Bout 2 ASAP. Garou can wait.

duckroll

Dave Long said:
I will never understand people and their anger over pricing of classic games. If you wanted the carts and a system, you'd pay hundreds of dollars for the chance to play these games. If you want a collection of them, go get one of the crap emulations that have been released.

Bitching about something that's less than $10 a game is just asinine. If you don't like the games or don't think they're fun anymore, then skip the thread and go elsewhere. Why be such negative pricks about it?

They've included online play, which none of the games were ever created with that in mind. That alone justifies charging something more than $2 a game. I wonder, what price would you actually expect for these games individually? 50 cents? There just aren't eye rolls big enough for some of the posts in this thread IMO.

Erm, I don't think you're actually paying attention to what the real problem is here. No one is asking for 50 cent games or 2 dollar games. Most people would be happy paying up to 10 bucks for each game even. The real issue is that there is a standard for pricing on Game Archives (classic games) titles on PSN. It generally costs 6 bucks for a PS1 or PC Engine game which runs on both the PS3 and PSP. SNK Playmore is charging more than that for an individual version of either a PS3 or PSP version of each game. That means for people who generally pick up these titles to use on both PS3 and PSP, each game is now more than twice as expensive as any other Game Archives title. That's stupid. Neo Geo games aren't any more special than other classic games from the same period. :p

SmokyDave

I want to be happy about this but I only really want Twinkle Star Sprites. Everything else I care about has been emulated elsewhere by now.

Princess Skittles said:
You have to buy them SEPARATE for PS3 and PSP?

There are no words.
This is my 2nd biggest problem. There is no need for separate versions other than money grabbing. At the very least, I'd expect a hefty discount for buying both versions.

Ranger X

OH SHIT.

Online play and friend invites???
Now THAT'S how the virtual console should have been mister Nintendo. I hope they take some notes.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dave Long said:

I never had a Neo Geo thanks to the crazy pricing.
Someday ill get an Arcade board.

Hey! No ones like me :( Wut about you duckroll ?

Ranger X said:
OH SHIT.

Online play and friend invites???
Now THAT'S how the virtual console should have been mister Nintendo. I hope they take some notes.
What? Ranger X saying something positive ??!! ;)
Im glad you dont do the . anymore.

I want to see how good the netcode is, if its good this collection could be awesome.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You'll eventually have to like someone duckroll! It's inevitable!

On topic, what would be some games to look forward to for a newbie to the NeoGeo library?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
InfiniteNine said:

On topic, what would be some games to look forward to for a newbie to the NeoGeo library?
Im a fighting game nutz so .... from this batch i would say: KOF 94.
Metal Slug is one of the best 2D action shooters ever made.

By the way if you dont like pixelated 2D Art this collection is not for you.

Shadow780

InfiniteNine said:

EVERYTHING

I'd start with Magician Lord.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Fersis said:
Im a fighting game nutz so .... from this batch i would say: KOF 94.
Metal Slug is one of the best 2D action shooters ever made.

By the way if you dont like pixelated 2D Art this collection is not for you.
I love pixelated 2D art! I like fighting games and 2D shooters so will look forward to those.

EVERYTHING

I'd start with Magician Lord.
Noted! Why don't I see you anymore Shadow? Do you not love me? >:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I really want Metal Slug but I dunno... I hope there will be a SNK sale.

Fersis

I only have money for one game (Damn you BFBC2 Vietnam!) ... and we all know which one im going to pick. :lol

duckroll

In further regards to pricing, I'll use my PSN as an example of why this is a terrible deal for some games.

Metal Slug 1 is S$13.49 for PS3 and S$10.49 for PSP. If I want to get the game to play on both my PS3 and the PSP on the go, that's S$23.89. Basically 24 bucks. I can get PS1 games for S$7.49 a pop, and I'm probably grabbing both Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve 2 this week for a grand total of 15 bucks. The premium for NeoGeo titles is really pretty ridiculous, even when you take into account online play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:
Mega Shock? More like Mega Suck. This is essentially just a slightly spiced up Game Archives brand. Yet they want to charge 9 bucks to run a game on the PS3, and another 7 bucks to run a game on the PSP as well. Fuck that. The standard has been set by PS1 and PCE games, and Neo Geo is just lagging behind like a bunch of bitches, yet they dare to charge more? GTFO. :lol

SNK's been dead since 2003. SNK/Suckmore is the reason for the shitty prices and general bonneheaded moves since SNK died.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fersis said:
I only have money for one game (Damn you BFBC2 Vietnam!) ... and we all know which one im going to pick. :lol

League Bowling?

Fersis

TheSeks said:
SNK's been dead since 2003. SNK/Suckmore is the reason for the shitty prices and general bonneheaded moves since SNK died.

Again :
KOF XI
KOF 98UM
KOF 02UM
KOF XIII

Those are some of the best fighting games ever made .. and they were made by SNKP.
Say wut again ? (I admit that the pricing is awful)

(SNK died in 2001)

ULTROS!

Oh yeah I forgot. SCE recently rated Metal Slug X for PS3/PSP. Assuming it's a PS1 classic it's going to be $5.99, not to mention you can switch between PS3/PSP.

There goes my NGS Metal Slug game. :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
InfiniteNine said:

Metal Slug (1-3/2:XX redone are SNK/Proper, 4-7 are SNK/Suckmore but I don't think those will be in this service)
King of Fighters '94 (but 98 and 2002:Ultimate Match are the highlight of the series with KoF fans)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (ARE YOU OOOOHKAY? BUSTAH WORLF)

Fersis said:
Say wut again ?
(SNK died in 2001)

Yes, and the last good release they did (even if it was retarded with the continue system) was Metal Slug 3 X-box. Everything after that has been shitty port after shitty port.

I don't have hope for this "service" no matter how much they claim it's a "1:1 conversion with bugs and all." I don't hold hope for the netcode since the XBLA releases were TERRIBLE. And the prices in comparison to games that age is laughable.

Veal

I find Dave long and Fersis to be likable dudes.

Also, do we know if the emulators will have dip switch support? It'd be nice to be able to get the full content of games like SamSho and the like.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I will be adding another 20-30 in funds to ready myself for at least 3 buys. I know I want Metal Slug and Baseball Stars. Hopefully they put out much more games for the future. I left my NeoGeo CD in CA so this will fill a huge void. It's one of the things I loved that XBLA had. More of these SNK/Arcade classics with online and added features. I'm all over them and consider the price just fine. Especially for what I paid to get the originals without online.

Yes Boss!

Can't wait!

Great thread Fersis. Hopefully the games deliver on the emu/online angle to help alleviate a lot of the bitching about the price. Otherwise this thread will turn to crap like most Wii and PSP Go threads.

I doubt I'll ever buy a single title for both the PSP and the PS3. It will be one or the other, depending on the title.

Patiently waiting for Blue's Journey, Andro Dunos, and Nam 1975.

Dave Long

Banned
duckroll said:
Erm, I don't think you're actually paying attention to what the real problem is here. No one is asking for 50 cent games or 2 dollar games. Most people would be happy paying up to 10 bucks for each game even. The real issue is that there is a standard for pricing on Game Archives (classic games) titles on PSN. It generally costs 6 bucks for a PS1 or PC Engine game which runs on both the PS3 and PSP. SNK Playmore is charging more than that for an individual version of either a PS3 or PSP version of each game. That means for people who generally pick up these titles to use on both PS3 and PSP, each game is now more than twice as expensive as any other Game Archives title. That's stupid. Neo Geo games aren't any more special than other classic games from the same period. :p
Again, this is different and you're willfully ignoring the extras.

The PSOne games, which I have about four so far, are straight emulation with no extras. They are easily portable from PSP to PS3 because of this. There's nothing that's been done except for filtering and that's a hardware "switch" that can be turned on. Sony barely has time for these games and released them very sporadically. Vic Ireland has been right here on GAF saying at $5.99 the games are barely profitable only if they sell in fairly large numbers, hence publishers are reluctant to bother and don't care too much.

SNK is giving us something extra, making the games playable online or via Ad Hoc multiplayer, which is already a large enough task that $9 for one game seems more than reasonable. Again, the only other option is $20 for the cheapest carts for the home system or maybe $10 or so for MVS carts... which also require the investment in a consolized MVS unit or a fucking Big Red at $200 to $600 up front.

You have a PS3 or a PSP. You pay $9 and hopefully get top notch emulation with extras. I don't see anything to bitch about even if you want to buy both the PS3 and PSP versions, which they've decided to optimize for each system's likely multiplayer choice. Most people will buy one or the other because as you say, Garou on PSP would probably not be all that entertaining given controls.

I just don't get it. If you hate it, go modtroll another thread. This one seems pretty reasonable. And you and I often see eye to eye on stuff so I'm kind of surprised at your reaction to this. I don't think you're taking everything into account here.

TreIII

MOTW next year? Hopefully the Last Blades and Real Bouts won't be too far behind.

Seriously though, I'm still waiting on them to give PSN owners are fair chance at the UMs. Unless they're holding out for the "upgraded....AGAIN!" versions of UM that have just been announced for arcades...

tzare

any news on SNK but not NEO GEO games being available in the future? like Ikari warriors, Prehistoric Isle, or some naomi/atomiswave games?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The naomi/atomisware stuff is hopeful but don't get your hopes up :lol

I do want Last Blade 2, Samurai Showdown 2/3/4, the newer KoF games, and a bunch more. The crappy beat em ups too. And that DATA EAST basketball game. LOVED IT.

I would love stuff like SNK vs Capcom and Rage of the Dragons on here too though.

Shadow780

Dave Long said:
You have a PS3 or a PSP. You pay $9 and hopefully get top notch emulation with extras. I don't see anything to bitch about even if you want to buy both the PS3 and PSP versions, which they've decided to optimize for each system's likely multiplayer choice. Most people will buy one or the other because as you say, Garou on PSP would probably not be all that entertaining given controls.

I still think they should charge a flat rate price for each game to run on PS3 AND PSP. Making me double dip on the games that I want to take it with me on the road is kinda shitty.

Agree with everything else.

tzare

LiquidMetal14 said:
The naomi/atomisware stuff is hopeful but don't get your hopes up :lol

I do want Last Blade 2, Samurai Showdown 2/3/4, the newer KoF games, and a bunch more. The crappy beat em ups too. And that DATA EAST basketball game. LOVED IT.

I would love stuff like SNK vs Capcom and Rage of the Dragons on here too though.

I'd love to see Doble dragon and Breakers revenge too .
there are some good games besides 2dfighters too: top hunter, spinmaster, and my beloved Flying Power Disc /Windjammers. Also Viewpoint is a must-buy
I hope they release 2-3 games everyweek and doesn't get stuck after 21/12

Colocho

Banned
FlashFlooder said:
I remember Super Sidekicks eating up a lot of my quarters in the MK2 arcade era.

Wasn't there a sequel too?
There were 2 sequels actually, but they weren't nearly as good as the original since they tried to go for the more "realistic" aproach.

I love the idea of what SNK is doing but the separation of the PS3 and PSP products isn't a good move. I would've taken the extra buck or 2 hit to be able to play it on either system. Hopefully it's not too late for them to correct the oversight before this becomes another debacle. It'll probably be awhile before I see any game that I may actually get but that does give SNK the time to experiment a bit and see what works before the fan favorites start to hit the service. I really want this to become a success but SNK has to put that work in to make it happen.

And Fersis, great job on the OP. Holding it down for all the SNK fans.

duckroll

Dave Long said:
Again, this is different and you're willfully ignoring the extras.

The PSOne games, which I have about four so far, are straight emulation with no extras. They are easily portable from PSP to PS3 because of this. There's nothing that's been done except for filtering and that's a hardware "switch" that can be turned on. Sony barely has time for these games and released them very sporadically. Vic Ireland has been right here on GAF saying at $5.99 the games are barely profitable only if they sell in fairly large numbers, hence publishers are reluctant to bother and don't care too much.

SNK is giving us something extra, making the games playable online or via Ad Hoc multiplayer, which is already a large enough task that $9 for one game seems more than reasonable. Again, the only other option is $20 for the cheapest carts for the home system or maybe $10 or so for MVS carts... which also require the investment in a consolized MVS unit or a fucking Big Red at $200 to $600 up front.

I just don't get it. If you hate it, go modtroll another thread. This one seems pretty reasonable. And you and I often see eye to eye on stuff so I'm kind of surprised at your reaction to this. I don't think you're taking everything into account here.

You know, this is really rude and totally uncalled for. I have listed specifically why I feel that it is of very poor value to me, as someone who actually buys shit on PSN. It's not like I don't care for the product, or I don't actually spend money on PSN and have no interest in classic releases. Your position seems to be based on US PSN, since you mention the shitty schedule of releases. My position is based on the JP/Asia PSN store which gets PS1 and PCE releases every other week. There are a ton of publishers on board, and if it is unprofitable they would not be continuing. Clearly it is.

You may not see anything to bitch about because clearly you disagree with my opinion. But it's not enough for you to complain about me complaining, but then you go on to suggest that simply being negative about the price point is now apparently unacceptable in this thread. In fact, you then continue to suggest that the only reason it is acceptable is because I am a mod, and that I am essentially trolling the thread with my opinions because you disagree with me that this is a BAD deal. I am obviously not the only one here who thinks this is a shitty deal, and I don't think it matters that I am the most vocal. I am posting here as a member of the forum, not as a moderator. It is sad if you cannot look past the disagreement you have with my opinion, and have to add on insults like that to support your argument.

I'll make it really clear to you again, the fact that I can buy almost two PS1 games for the price of a single NeoGeo PS3 game on PSN, is already a sign of how inflated the price is. The only added feature here is online multiplayer. That feature to me is in no way worth twice the price of what a release generally goes for. It might be worthwhile for you, but to me it makes the entire announcement worthless because multiplayer being patched in does not add more value to me than a lower price point and PS3+PSP compatibility.

Fersis said:
so7pfr.jpg

Is it just me or do I see an AST button on the top next to the controls? Very awesome if true. :D

And just wow at the hate in this thread. :lol I'm with Long on this one. I think it's a great deal considering that they're just a couple bucks more than the VC titles AND we're getting significant extras like Online Play. And seriously Seks, GTFO, you got owned by Fersis in the last topic and you're posting the same crap in here too.

I do agree there should be some kind of discount for PSP at least. But I dunno, it seems no more different to me than offering a Blu-Ray, downloadable, and DVD copy of a movie. Sure a lot of movies now are getting the combo pack deal, but there are still lots of movies where you'd have to buy a separate version if you wanted to play it on the go.

tzare

i guess having separate prices/sku for each of the games is due to PSN integration (online, friend invites) for PS3 version, which would be obviously different for PSP. That does not happen with PSone classics, as both PS3 and PSP have the same features and are equally emulated.

lupinko

LOL me rebuying games I already own.
=(

Even though I already have a perfect port of 98 in my NTSC-J 98UM (which has perfect 98UM and vanilla 98 (since vanilla 98 was just a straight rom dump) not to mention that the NTSC-J version has 480p support which the western versions had removed), I'll rebuy it again.

Besides that I'm up for MS3, LB2 (which has never gotten a reasonable port on any platform that is not a NeoGeo AES), Garou MOTW (the PS2 port was close to being perfect but SNKP somehow goofed and left out the guardcancel text when doing a guardcancel, which is rather annoying really). Also other things, but those are the notable ones anyway.

The AW and TTX+ games all had perfect ports for PS2, and all the PS2 ones all had 480p support, well for the JP versions anyway.

Yes Boss!

Stll no word on dimming or doing away with the wallpapers entirely? Those pain me on the XBLA releases and they look just as bad here.

tzare

btw, being able to play different musics , suchas playing Esaka in AOF, or earthquake's stage BGM (awesome to be honest) in KOF is a nice addition and seems that NGstation is a bit more than a simple emulator.

seeds19

Banned
Please bring me "eightman", mutation nation, all samurai spirits, all art of fighting, all kof, all world heroes, all fatal fury....
Please bring me the entire catalog:D
I hope 10 new games every week, and another question:
no screen size configuration? i paid more money to play in 16:9 full screen xD, destroying tzare in 4:3 is awesomenes, but destrying him in 16:9 is fucking epic :D

Top Bottom