• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NERD behind Nintendo Classic Mini: NES emulation (i.e. it's not the Wii U emulator)

Those three products/features NERD shipped previously are all really solid. Didn't know they were behind them until now.

Although I thought M2 did most of the 3DS VC stuff, not just GBA (which technically aren't VC I don't think...)
M2 did the GBA emulator on Wii U, not 3DS.

And yes, GBA on 3DS is 100% native. They actually patched the GBA BIOS into the 3DS in order to support those games.

ekgrey

Retro actually tried to use an open source SNES emulator to include Super Metroid with Metroid Prime (they actually had the emulator ported and running on GCN) but Nintendo told them they absolutely could not use it, and Retro wasn't going to spend the time and effort making their own.

I'd never heard that. Interesting.

Quixzlizx

So if it isn't compatible with the VC, and it's not wifi/internet-enabled, does that mean it'll never have more games than the ones that come with it?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Nintendo has an history of hiring hobbyists to make emulators for them. They had one of the iNES contributors at the time for the Game Boy emulator for N64, as far as I know, the guy is still working at Nintendo. There's also the developer of Nesticle who made the SNES emulator for GameCube.
now THIS needs some corroboration.

With those controller ports and no ethernet I'm betting on wii mini.
It wouldn't be a re-cased Wii Mini, but it could be built around a fairly modified Wii chipset though. A New 3DS-derived PICA chipset is possible too. It could even be a custom Tegra device, but I really doubt it.

-shadow-

And going by the trailer it's a great emulator. Now have them replace Nintendo's own terrible emulator for the NES on the WiiU and fix the N64 also while they're at it.

LewieP

Oh right I misread OP.

Did M2 do the VC stuff for 3DS, they seem pretty similar to their Sega 3D Classics, but without as much bespoke work for each game.

Guess Who

Banned
It wouldn't be a re-cased Wii Mini, but it could be built around a fairly modified Wii chipset though. A New 3DS-derived PICA chipset is possible too. It could even be a custom Tegra device, but I really doubt it.

3DS-based makes way more sense tbh. Wii CPUs are years old and made on decade-old power-hungry processes. Throwing some 2DS bits in a NES-shaped box is much more plausible.

Shiggy

Oh right I misread OP.

Did M2 do the VC stuff for 3DS, they seem pretty similar to their Sega 3D Classics, but without as much bespoke work for each game.

The 3D Classics were made by Arika, the VC emulators were made internally I think.

LewieP

The 3D Classics were made by Arika, the VC emulators were made internally I think.
Arika did the Nintendo 3D Classics, M2 did the Sega ones.

Edit: I looked it up, M2 did the Game Gear VC emulator for 3DS, but I think that's it.

Blues1990

I only ask that the dark filter is absent in these emulated games. That will make or break my decision to purchase the NCM.

Shiggy

That was already confirmed.

Doesn't the DS emulator also have some options to make games look better (that were disabled for stability reasons)? Indicates NERD's dedication to detail. Wouldn't surprise me if it was also their idea to use the Wii connector plugs for the controllers.

Codiox

So that's the guys who fucked up the web browser movie player which allows to execute the kernel hack?

*clap* *clap* *clap*

ECC

I believe that the dark filter / dimming that people would rather not have, is a "safety" precaution against strobe light.

Thats at least what I keep hearing on a bunch of podcasts. That being said, I might have been had and thus be completely wrong.

jstripes

Banned
Not even a tiny chance. Besides, Nintendo has all of the NES documentation on-hand and numerous in-house NES emulators to work from. No reason to use code from hobbyists.

Retro actually tried to use an open source SNES emulator to include Super Metroid with Metroid Prime (they actually had the emulator ported and running on GCN) but Nintendo told them they absolutely could not use it, and Retro wasn't going to spend the time and effort making their own.

Depending on the licence, using open source software in your product can open a huge legal can of worms. They can have very strong requirements that you yourself open whatever you use it in.

TheMoon

Doesn't the DS emulator also have some options to make games look better (that were disabled for stability reasons)? Indicates NERD's dedication to detail. Wouldn't surprise me if it was also their idea to use the Wii connector plugs for the controllers.

DS emu has a similar "blur on / off" toggle to the one in the endlessly praised GBA emu by M2. Plus all those screen configs.

petran79

Banned
Depending on the licence, using open source software in your product can open a huge legal can of worms. They can have very strong requirements that you yourself open whatever you use it in.

Neo Geo portable developers used Finalburn to emulate games without asking anyone.
The developer of the programm did not mind and did not push things further.

There was also a recent PC game (cant remember name) that used a Snes9x emulator and the publishers claimed they had the approval of the original Snes9x developers. But they had abandoned the project years ago. Things were settled in that case too.

3DS-based makes way more sense tbh. Wii CPUs are years old and made on decade-old power-hungry processes. Throwing some 2DS bits in a NES-shaped box is much more plausible.
I don't think one last hurrah for Nintendo's PowerPC-based architecture is impossible. Realistically though, it's probably some flavor of ARM-centric chipset, be it 3DS-derived or otherwise.

Not really. Companies can steal all they want because the Free Software Foundation refuses to go after anyone nor will they honor any open source licenses that tack on anti-commercialization requirements because they say it violates the definition of what open source is.

Back when Hyperkin stole all those emulators for the Retron 5, the FSF did nothing. By their rules, if you label anything "open source" that means it is open source with no other requirements, period. So all those GPL licenses that prohibit their software from being used in a commercial distribution shouldn't be enforced because true open source would have none of those prohibitions.

Yes there are anti-Tivoization case law out there but it doesn't mean jack shit if the main proponents behind the open source movement don't protect the people developing the software. So companies should steal all they want, no one's going to ever go after them.

I thought this was kind of relevant to plagarised emulators:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScummVM#Mistic.27s_GPL_violations
In December 2008, the ScummVM teams learned that three games for the Wii, console, Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds, Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside, and Spy Fox: Dry Cereal had used ScummVM without proper attribution. The games were published on request of Atari through Majesco Entertainment, who turned to Mistic Software to port the games. Mistic had used ScummVM for these, but failed to credit the developers. While the ScummVM team contacted gpl-violations.org for legal advice, Nintendo began to investigate the claims as their license agreements prevent the use of open-source software on the Wii, which led Nintendo to question if the reverse engineering used by ScummVM was legal and threatened legal action. A settlement was made in 2009, in which ScummVM would drop the investigation of the GPL violation, while Mistic was required sell or destroy all GPL-violating copies of the games, make a donation to the Free Software Foundation, and pay the legal fees.[2]
Thanks, Nintendo and you wonder why nobody whistleblows to you.

Doesn't the DS emulator also have some options to make games look better (that were disabled for stability reasons)? Indicates NERD's dedication to detail.
Yep inside configuration_cafe.json (interesting name...) is a line called Renderscale which if you set to 2 doubles internal resolution removing jaggles.

The ambassador GBA games have a similar toggle to turn off the blur but doing so can cause screen burn (things like the F-Zero GBA game maps do transparency by flickering the screen).

If they're the people behind the eye tracking on the New 3DS, count me in. On the 3DS XL, a slight blink would screw up the 3D. On my New 3DS, I often play in turbulence on airplanes with nary a hitch. Thing's a godsent to business travelers.

Pokemaniac

When I saw they were recruiting, I was interested... But deciding to leave a "safe", interesting, and well-paid job for something probably interesting but not much more is hard...

But they're indeed doing nice things there.

Not that important, but is this really a post-processing filter?

I would have thought that the culprit lie in the NES palette > RGB color conversion. I don't understand why you would do post-processing to darken colors when you already need a color conversion at the heart of the emulator, seeing how colors work in NES.

Whatever...

There is definitely a post-processing filter. The image isn't just darkened, they applied smoothing to it.

LewieP

There was also a recent PC game (cant remember name) that used a Snes9x emulator and the publishers claimed they had the approval of the original Snes9x developers. But they had abandoned the project years ago. Things were settled in that case too.

I think you might be referring to Busby.

THIS GUYS ARE GODS.
Yes. I dearly miss how awesome it was. Especially when going to sites with their own players such as Cinemassare. You'd sometimes have to do certain tricks to get the videos to play but they worked. My PS4 lets me down in that area. The whole browser does actually.

MacTag

Banned
I thought this was kind of relevant to plagarised emulators:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScummVM#Mistic.27s_GPL_violations

Thanks, Nintendo and you wonder why nobody whistleblows to you.
Looking at the original source Wikipedia's article is wrong btw. Nintendo took no legal action, Atari directly was the one who threatened to defensively challenge ScummVM's legaity with reverse engineering. It sounds like Nintendo wasn't even notified or involved beyond their NDA.

MacTag

Banned
It's also worth mentioning Arika's 3D Classics for Nintendo were all ports while M2's 3D Classics for Sega were a mix of ports (arcade games) and tweaked roms using enhanced emulation (MegaDrive, Master System games).

As far as the Virtual Consoles, I could find the following groups attributed:

3DS
Nintendo Network Service Development- Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES
M2- Game Gear
???- PC Engine

Wii U
Nintendo Network Service Development- NES, Super NES
M2- Game Boy Advance
Nintendo Software Technology- Nintendo 64
Nintendo European Research & Development- Nintendo DS
D4 Enterprise- TurboGrafx-16, MSX

n3DS
???- Super NES

Good news to those who were afraid the Nintendo Classic Mini: NES would use the same NES emulator the Wii U uses. The NES emulator and operating system was created by Paris-based Nintendo European Research and Development (NERD) from scratch.

It is not the first foray into software emulation for NERD. The studio was already responsible for the DS emulation on Wii U, making it only the third team outside of Nintendo working on Virtual Console emulation (the others are NST for N64 emulation on Wii and M2 for GBA emulation on Wii U).

Why would "Nintendo European Research and Development" be considered a team outside of Nintendo? Or "Nintendo Software Technology" (NST) for that matter..

Why would "Nintendo European Research and Development" be considered a team outside of Nintendo? Or "Nintendo Software Technology" (NST) for that matter..

In a sense that it's both a division outside Japan, and used to be its own company before Nintendo bought them (Mobiclip). They're still 100% Nintendo at this point though.

TheMoon

It's also worth mentioning Arika's 3D Classics for Nintendo were all ports while M2's 3D Classics for Sega were a mix of ports (arcade games) and tweaked roms using enhanced emulation (MegaDrive, Master System games).

As far as the Virtual Consoles, I could find the following groups attributed:

3DS
Nintendo Network Service Development- Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES
M2- Game Gear
???- PC Engine

Wii U
Nintendo Network Service Development- NES, Super NES
M2- Game Boy Advance
Nintendo Software Technology- Nintendo 64
Nintendo European Research & Development- Nintendo DS
D4 Enterprise- TurboGrafx-16, MSX

n3DS
???- Super NES

What's the source on NST doing N64 again on Wii U beyond assuming they just did it again because they did the Wii N64 emu?

MacTag

Banned
What's the source on NST doing N64 again on Wii U beyond assuming they just did it again because they did the Wii N64 emu?
I thought there were hints discovered in the code but now I can't any sources so idk. Although they did do all previous N64 emultion on GC/Wii so it's a solid guess.

Top Bottom