• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic @Amazon Treasure Truck) (Atlanta,Chicago,Dallas,Houston,LA,Seattle)

leehom

Checked craigslist and not surprised to see a bunch of new listings for the nes classic.

At least a good ratio of people who purchased it is keeping it.

MrMephistoX

Checked craigslist and not surprised to see a bunch of new listings for the nes classic.

At least a good ratio of people who purchased it is keeping it.

Yeah I got a freaking Nextdoor pop up and a few on Facebook shopping. $400 such a deal!?

Beartruck

Im gonna rep them in the BST thread, but I wanna thank user kitchenmotors for being super cool. He picked mine up while he was picking his up (wasn't able to get to downtown chicago today so he saved me). I unpacked it with the wife after dinner and had a blast goong through tecmo bowl, mario, etc with her.

NeOak

I have a N.E.S. Classic if anyone wants to make an offer.

8LrfGOm.jpg

Because from what I've read (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) the emulation on the NES Classic is something like *the* best emulation there is for NES games. It's better than Nintendo's own offerings in the Virtual Consoles on Wii/3DS/Wii U even.

So some people want to put their games onto it so they can play them on their HDTVs with the official Nintendo wrappers and UI and official Nintendo emulation in an official cute as fuuuuuuck tiny NES.

I'm not gonna pretend I understand all the technical reasons but apparently the emulation in an NES Mini VS a raspberry pi is enough to make buying an NES Mini worth it over the cheaper alternatives.
You are very much mistaken. Yes, the NES Mini’s emulation is far better than the Virtual Console, because the VC emulators were very poor quality. And it’s good enough for the average bloke and is a cool, cute little collectible. I myself bought a Famicom Mini, and love it, and put a few of my favorite games on it.

But the NES Classic Mini’s emulation doesn’t touch PC emulation nor Raspberry Pi emulation. PC emulators like puNES and NEStopia are pretty close to hardware-accurate, more than is possible on a system as powerful as the NES Classic Mini.

You are very much mistaken. Yes, the NES Mini’s emulation is far better than the Virtual Console, because the VC emulators were very poor quality. And it’s good enough for the average bloke and is a cool, cute little collectible. I myself bought a Famicom Mini, and love it, and put a few of my favorite games on it.

But the NES Classic Mini’s emulation doesn’t touch PC emulation nor Raspberry Pi emulation. PC emulators like puNES and NEStopia are pretty close to hardware-accurate, more than is possible on a system as powerful as the NES Classic Mini.

OOooo, that sounds very cool. Thanks for the info!

Question about those emulators, are they able to run the games in like a "beefed up" mode? To smooth out framerates or slowdown? Like for example in Rescue Rangers or Mega Man if there were lots of things happening on screen it would flicker or run really slow, do any emulators have the power to "fix" that? I feel like I've asked about this before on GAF but I can't remember.

ZBR

This just makes me sad. The last two months that these were out, I spent calling and trying to figure out where they would be at. I'm in Omaha (smallish city) and I figure that there are a handful of people that would go to ever store and buy them all. Next thing I see, they're still trying to sell them for $200 (I think I saw one for $400) on Craigslist. I can spend $60 just fine but I can't justify the $200. My girlfriend tried finding one for my birthday also but she had worst luck than I did. They need to regulate sales of this stuff.

Is there some tried and true method for hacking the NES Mini? I just googled but the first article was real doom and gloom about bricking it, has it improved at all?

Actually, are we even allowed to talk about hacking it here?

molnizzle

Is there some tried and true method for hacking the NES Mini? I just googled but the first article was real doom and gloom about bricking it, has it improved at all?

Your google game is weak, my son.

Try YouTube. The process is fast, easy and safe.

Syriel

I had given up completely on getting one of these little gems. And now I have one... Still in shock.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Amazon does something in the SF area for this.

Probably hoping in vain.

But hell, it'd even be worth a trek down to San Jose just to pick one up.

Considering this is Nintendo's backyard, you'd think they'd make an effort.

There's a gaf thread dedicated to that, you can find lots of help there.

This just makes me sad. The last two months that these were out, I spent calling and trying to figure out where they would be at. I'm in Omaha (smallish city) and I figure that there are a handful of people that would go to ever store and buy them all. Next thing I see, they're still trying to sell them for $200 (I think I saw one for $400) on Craigslist. I can spend $60 just fine but I can't justify the $200. My girlfriend tried finding one for my birthday also but she had worst luck than I did. They need to regulate sales of this stuff.

If Nintendo would get off their ass and take pre orders for 6 months and then actually fulfill all those pre orders there would be no shortages.

No other company has so much trouble fulfilling demand for a product that has no legitimate shorages in parts like the NES classics/SNES classics. Their shortages are a total pr stunt to make them more desirable and get their name out there among people who otherwise wouldn't notice.

Koren

Question about those emulators, are they able to run the games in like a "beefed up" mode? To smooth out framerates or slowdown? Like for example in Rescue Rangers or Mega Man if there were lots of things happening on screen it would flicker or run really slow, do any emulators have the power to "fix" that?
Well, the flickering is actually a nes limitation (maximum number of sprites per scanline), it's probably easier to NOT have the flickering than to have it. I haven't searched about this, but it should be quite easy to add an option to remove those.

Though I think I've read about games that were actually using the limitations of the hardware to do tricks (like hiding a sprite).

mr_chun

DF8RBNCV0AAVAy8.jpg

I got one in Atlanta. It was kinda fun to go track down the truck and pick up the consoles. I asked an attendant if she'd sell me her hat. She said no. :(

There was also, coincidentally, an Articuno raid going down right around the corner from the truck. Dozens of people getting in on that.

Won't clog up the thread with pictures, more in the tweet below if you're curious.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mr_chun/status/891450014307954690[/tweet]

Your google game is weak, my son.

Try YouTube. The process is fast, easy and safe.
Dammit! I'll try harder ;_;

There's a gaf thread dedicated to that, you can find lots of help there.
Frick, I searched but came up short, I'll try again. Thanks!

Well, the flickering is actually a nes limitation (maximum number of sprites per scanline), it's probably easier to NOT have the flickering than to have it. I haven't searched about this, but it should be quite easy to add an option to remove those.

Though I think I've read about games that were actually using the limitations of the hardware to do tricks (like hiding a sprite).

Oh whoa, interesting. So there could be some games where "fixing" them actually would break them?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
DF8RBNCV0AAVAy8.jpg

I got one in Atlanta. It was kinda fun to go track down the truck and pick up the consoles. I asked an attendant if she'd sell me her hat. She said no. :(

There was also, coincidentally, an Articuno raid going down right around the corner from the truck. Dozens of people getting in on that.

Won't clog up the thread with pictures, more in the tweet below if you're curious.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mr_chun/status/891450014307954690[/tweet]

Wonder if I saw you out there. I hit up Starbucks after I got my console.

Got mine here in Atlanta.

Saw this dude lol. Paying off his mortgage

fe9a239.jpg

I was there at 4:50 (was stressing out about making it on time...) and I saw this fucker just wandering around aimlessly for a while before he left. The Amazon peeps were nice but they did not give a shit. You were supposed to show ID so I even had my wife go out of her way to go down there with me and all you needed was the QR Code. If I’d have been working that truck, I’d have been tempted to tell the dude to fuck off. I didn’t see anyone else with more than one or two.

I’m sure that I saw a couple gaffers and didn’t know it - I was with the redhead with the half sleeve of flower tattoos, in case anyone remembers her since she’s much more memorable than I am.

Anyway, of course this pops up right after I put down $160 on the Think Geek Zelda bundle, which I got today, and man are those toys that come with it dumb. I’ve got three now so I’ll probably sell one to make up for the money I lost on that bundle, keep one for an awesome present (or collectible to hold on to), and I’ve already busted out the one I’m keeping and have save states after the first level (or dungeon) in half the games already.

Thanks again, Wario!!!

TrojanAg

I noticed that the box art has changed ever so slightly. The NES classic now has the ESRB rating on the front right corner. The first release simply had the Nintendo seal of approval in that spot. I didn't realize that they had a second print for this. I wonder what impact that has, if any, as a collectible.

MrMephistoX

Keeping my fingers crossed that Amazon does something in the SF area for this.

Probably hoping in vain.

But hell, it'd even be worth a trek down to San Jose just to pick one up.

Considering this is Nintendo's backyard, you'd think they'd make an effort.

I'd drive up from L.A honestly would be like a refreshing road trip: get some sourdough bread at fisherman's warf and go home. Now that I have kids I have a weird idea of fun but driving by myself in total peace with tunes, audiobooks and podcasts sounds like heaven.

Top Bottom