• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic @Amazon Treasure Truck) (Atlanta,Chicago,Dallas,Houston,LA,Seattle)

Me and my fiance got 1 each at the Atlanta location. Plan on giving one to a friend for Christmas not sure what we'll do with the other.

Luschient

I got one in Dallas, its right next to a fun place called the truckyard, and I was looking for a place to get brunch anyway. NES classic was just a double bonus.

How was the Dallas crowd? If I had seen this earlier I would've tried to get one, was sold out by the time I checked though.

Balb

I don't live in any of those cities but I'm hoping the eBay prices will go down, because I've been looking for an NES Classic for a reasonable markup (less than $150) for a while now.

Fox Mulder

This thread made me realize something. I am just way too old for this Willie Wonka golden ticket shit. If companies aren't going to make enough of something that I can easily get it (with a little patience), then I'm out.

Yeah. The NES classic was the last straw for me really. Years of bullshit hoop jumping for Nintendo shit I don't need.

I recently sold my retro collection, pvm, amiibos, all kinds of stuff. I'm just down to a ps4 and xb1 that is all digital.

Got mine earlier today in Houston. Gonna hook it up later.

If I was there I would've chewed him out. Fuck scalpers.

Gonna play devil's advocate here. He looks Asian so he might not necessarily be selling them, but sending the overseas. I work electronics retail and we get a lot of people buying phones, game systems etc... To send overseas.

Or he could just be taking advantage of his right as an American to partake in our country's capitalistic opportunities.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
8VdlWp2.jpg

zLbbxuG.jpg

I still can't believe I got one!

But should I open it?

NeOak

I don't live in any of those cities but I'm hoping the eBay prices will go down, because I've been looking for an NES Classic for a reasonable markup (less than $150) for a while now.
Don't look at the BST thread then

Fox Mulder

Gonna play devil's advocate here. He looks Asian so he might not necessarily be selling them, but sending the overseas. I work electronics retail and we get a lot of people buying phones, game systems etc... To send overseas.

Or he could just be taking advantage of his right as an American to partake in our country's capitalistic opportunities.

Didn't take long for even people here to scalp these for over double the price in the BST thread.

TheFuzz

Me and my fiance got 1 each at the Atlanta location. Plan on giving one to a friend for Christmas not sure what we'll do with the other.

I'm in Atlanta, Been dying to get one as a present for wife. If you want to help out a GAFfer, PM me. Missed the chance.

mrk8885

Banned
Damnit. I really, really hate that. :(

I have tired to get one to actually enjoy, and have never been able to get one. Then people buy them just to gouge fellow GAF members. Selfish pricks.
Seriously. At least have the decency to do it on eBay.

Btw everyone should totally just hold off because i bet the market gets flooded and prices drop a bit

mrk8885

Banned
I debated keeping mine sealed...

...and 20m later I said screw it and loaded 800 NES/Famicom games onto it.
You must own a lot of cartridges

Also, I don't quite understand the people who buy the NES classic just to hack it. If you were going to do that, you had much cheaper easier options. Oh well. You do you.

Koppai

I helped at least 6 different people snag one today, and I also picked up another one for myself. SNES Classic would be easy to snap up if they put it on this too. ;)

Didn't take long for even people here to scalp these for over double the price in the BST thread.

True. Just saying you never know.

Also just curious, did Amazon not limit these?

Also, I don't quite understand the people who buy the NES classic just to hack it. If you were going to do that, you had much cheaper easier options. Oh well. You do you.

But do they look like a cute little chibi NES.

mrk8885

Banned
True. Just saying you never know.

Also just curious, did Amazon not limit these?
It was limited to one purchase per account. But I bet it was easy to make multiple accounts.

The person picking up just needed separate QR codes for multiple units. No ID check, no limit. My brother in law grabbed ones bought by me and my wife without any issues.

Koppai

What are these Treasure Trucks? Exclusively nintendo things?

Amazon has trucks that they put around that carry hot items (although it looks like it was only the NES) that go around to different cities for the day and lets you purchase them by clicking on a link. Then you go to the place and they scan the QR code and hand you the item you ordered.

I thought it was funny when he said my username for Amazon though instead of my name XD

It was limited to one purchase per account. But I bet it was easy to make multiple accounts.

The person picking up just needed separate QR codes for multiple units. No ID check, no limit. My brother in law grabbed ones bought by me and my wife without any issues.

That could be it then. I doubt it was multiple accounts because I tried to buy 2 P2 Corrin amiibo a and they canceled one for exceeding the 1 per customer.

samred

What are these Treasure Trucks? Exclusively nintendo things?

pilot program has been running in Amazon's home city of Seattle for a little over a year, and now they're rolling this out in more cities in order to incentivize installing the official Amazon app. (Prime Day this year was another "install our damned app" initiative.) in Seattle, we get about one limited-time event per week, where you can place an order for a limited-quantity item that you have to pick up the same day. products range from bluetooth speakers to fresh food (meat + veggie combos right around the 4th of July, for example). the app will buzz and be like "you have limited time to order this thing!" and then it's often sold out by the time you boot the app. (this is, in part, because Amazon's notification system sucks heavy balls.)

MrMephistoX

Or a combination of both sending back home to sell on Taobao/Chinese EBay.

https://m.taobao.com/article/ESD_EaBWD5BjEjFJ.html

mrk8885

Banned
That could be it then. I doubt it was multiple accounts because I tried to buy 2 P2 Corrin amiibo a and they canceled one for exceeding the 1 per customer.
Well because you had to buy it through the app on the "treasure truck" tab, you didn't even have the option of buying more than one. Once you do it, it said purchased , and you couldn't buy again. It wasn't a regular Amazon order page.

mrk8885

Banned
How did people buy multiples? Opening multiple amazon accounts?
All you needed to pickup multiple was QR codes from different orders. But yea, it was limited to one per account so you'd need multiple accounts. But there was no limit per pickup person. I bought one and my wife bought one on our Amazon accounts and her brother picked them up.

Because from what I've read (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) the emulation on the NES Classic is something like *the* best emulation there is for NES games. It's better than Nintendo's own offerings in the Virtual Consoles on Wii/3DS/Wii U even.

So some people want to put their games onto it so they can play them on their HDTVs with the official Nintendo wrappers and UI and official Nintendo emulation in an official cute as fuuuuuuck tiny NES.

I'm not gonna pretend I understand all the technical reasons but apparently the emulation in an NES Mini VS a raspberry pi is enough to make buying an NES Mini worth it over the cheaper alternatives.

Plus the thing is seriously so damn cute. Like... I expected it to be small, and I've seen the press shots of it sitting in the hand, but actually holding one myself it's crazy how tiny and cute it is.

Picked mine up in LA today! Then had a nice (expensive) lunch next door at Ladurée with my girlfriend and wrapped the day up with Diddy Riese a few miles away. Successful day.

Owensboro

Hah, we should have had an impromptu GAF meet up at the Atlanta location. Would have been fun to grab a beer at Tap across the street and dork out over finally getting one of these things. (I'm so sorry for people who couldn't get one. I feel your pain. Been looking since they announced the damn things.)

What's a good extender cable brand for the controller? Just picked up that Amazon Warehouse 8bitdo wireless controller deal. Love 8bitdo. They're controllers are the damn best.

Top Bottom