• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces Castlevania series for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
what

fucking what
It was a joke Warren Ellis included in a snippet of the script that was released a LONG time ago. The joke was told between two villagers in a Transylvania bar before Trevor Belmont walks in, giving you a good idea of the setting and the people that lived in this "world".

ReyVGM

Hopefully they use music from the games.

Nothing pisses me off more than to see a Videogame movie and not hearing any of the iconic music from the games.

Raven117

latest

"A guaranteed hit!"

Came for this. Leaving satisfied.

Nzyme32

but but but, fuck konami

I can't really judge it till I know the direction its going in from seeing something of it. Anything like this has a lot of potential in the right hands

Raitaro

I've been interested in this since its initial announcement by Shankar so I'm really happy to see that it is not only actually happening (after a long period of dead silence that got me worried) but that it will be upon us somewhat shortly. And with two seasons planned and Netflix backing at that!

Now my only fear is that the tone of this show won't be somewhat dark fantasy-ish and serious / sombre but mostly meme-heavy and full of that edgy humor based on modern everyday life stuff that most cartoons nowadays seem to be full of. It would be foolish to hope for a blend between an 80's animated classic like The last Unicorn and an (imo sublime) anime like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust in terms of tone, atmosphere and art style I guess, but I am hoping this will at least be somewhat in tune with the classic games (or Lords of Shadows if need be) and their atmosphere.

I also wonder if the soundtrack will feature any sort of hommages to the music in the games now that I think about it. That could be cool indeed. Anyway, can't wait to see some actual art or screenshots soon.

MrT-Tar

I'm optimistic, but cautious.

This has the potential to be great, but whether it actually is on the other hand...

Then it's going to look corny as fuck because Castlevania is as "anime" as you can get
I don't recall Castlevania getting the anime treatment until Rondo of Blood. 1-4 were very much inspired by western horror and adventure movies. They got away from that but came back with Lords of Shadow.

I'm a fan of the first four, especially four, so I'll be disappointed if it's styled after the SOTN and handheld stuff.

Skeletos311

I'm skeptical of a western made cartoon. I always thought Castlevania should have been an anime in the style of Vampire Hunter D.

Stiler

Is this going to be live action or animated?

Because I don't have any hope for it if it's animated, mainly because netflix shows that are animated usually end up being very cheap low quality CGI animation (aside from the excellent Trollhunters).

Castlevania needs that good hand-drawn animation a la Vampire Hunter D as mentioned or a good live action style that fits with the type of setting it is.

The use of "satirical" also doesn't bode well, I mean when you think of Castlevania that's not really something that comes to mind...

Sou Da

Is this going to be live action or animated?

Because I don't have any hope for it if it's animated, mainly because netflix shows that are animated usually end up being very cheap low quality CGI animation (aside from the excellent Trollhunters).

Castlevania needs that good hand-drawn animation

Voltron.
https://sakugabooru.com/data/3c6d495ba624c2b10b276357e12f751d.mp4

https://sakugabooru.com/data/d56d558fa4527bbc42cbafe5a7f0f669.mp4

https://sakugabooru.com/data/e0f48bfaf28de451f000fc03ddd61c9c.mp4

I don't recall Castlevania getting the anime treatment until Rondo of Blood. 1-4 were very much inspired by western horror and adventure movies. They got away from that but came back with Lords of Shadow.

I'm a fan of the first four, especially four, so I'll be disappointed if it's styled after the SOTN and handheld stuff.

They were Japanese takes on "Western" horror. The same as the Dark Souls game. The same as the manga series Berserk. That's why "anime" is a dumb term because it doesn't mean anything. It's reducing an entire medium to stereotypical examples

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Ok, fuck it: I'm getting my hopes up. It's Castlevania, it's animated, it's written by Warren Ellis.

But also: It's Castlevania, it's animated, it's written by Warren Ellis. Like how did this come to pass. For a videogame tv adaptation, it's not something you'd expect.

I can't wait for the first trailer to see the artstyle, which is very important.

My only hope is that this show is about the journey through an insane, labyrinthine castle and the wonders it contains not some bullshit contrived love story about a Belmont.

Season 1 - Regular Castle
Season 2 - Upside-down Castle with all the crazy relics\skills that the Belmont has acquired through Season 1.

RiZ III

I love the atmosphere in Castelvania games and I can totally seeing it working really well in a movie/show. However I wish they weren't going for a satirical show :|

Not

Banned
OH WOW

WOW I'M HYPED FOR THIS

WOW

I hope it turns out to be good. One of my favorite video game series (except the 64 versions, sorry)
I did some fan art of Alucard, hope you guys don't mind me posting it here!

This is super impressive, great work

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Battle of 1999 eventually!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom