• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix to air new Star Trek series (and classic!) in all countries except US/Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-to-beam-new-cbs-star-trek-television-series-in-188-countries-around-the-world

Each Episode of the Highly Anticipated New Series to be Available to Netflix Members Exclusively in All Licensed Territories Within 24 Hours of the U.S. Premiere on CBS
LOS ANGELES and AMSTERDAM– July 18, 2016 - Netflix and CBS Studios International today announced a landmark international licensing agreement for the new “Star Trek” television series. Netflix will be the exclusive premiere home of “Star Trek” in 188 countries (excluding the US and Canada). Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.
Additionally, all 727 existing episodes of the iconic “Star Trek” television library – including “Star Trek: The Original Series,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Star Trek: Voyager” and “Star Trek: Enterprise” will be available on Netflix around the world by the end of 2016.

The all-new “Star Trek” will begin production in Toronto in September for its January 2017 premiere. The iconic and influential global franchise will return to television for the first time since 2005 with a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation.

“The launch of the new ‘Star Trek’ will truly be a global television event,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Studios International. “‘Star Trek’ is already a worldwide phenomenon and this international partnership will provide fans around the world, who have been craving a new series for more than a decade, the opportunity to see every episode virtually at the same time as viewers in the U.S. Thanks to our world-class partners at Netflix, the new ‘Star Trek’ will definitely be ‘hailing on all frequencies’ throughout the planet.”

“‘Star Trek’ is one of the most iconic shows in television history and we’re thrilled to partner with CBS to bring the beloved series to Trekkies around the world,” said Sean Carey, Vice President of Global Television at Netflix. “The newest chapter of the story promises to continue the rich tradition of adventure and is sure to excite fans everywhere Netflix is available.”

In the U.S., the new “Star Trek” will launch with a special premiere episode on the CBS Television Network in January 2017. The premiere episode and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the United States exclusively on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

As previously announced, the new “Star Trek” marks the first original series developed for U.S. distribution on CBS All Access, which provides viewers thousands of episodes of CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month.

Not sure if this means the US and Canada are getting the classic series as well at the end of the year, but we'll see.

EDIT: Ah, apparently the US and Canada already have the older series. So yeah, everywhere then.

Patryn

EDIT: Misread. The US still needs to use CBS's streaming platform.

Also, the US already has all the series. Just double checked.

Mindwipe

My mistake on the classic series, I thought the US didn't have them any more. Sorry.

Was it just the films that came down?

smisk

So I'm confused... Is the US gonna get the new episodes on Netflix as well? Or am I gonna have to subscribe to that shitty CBS service?

I wonder if Netflix are co-financing? If this fails on CBS all access in the US, but does well for Netflix will CBS be willing to continue the show while ditching the All Access format?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
YES! :D

Hurray for not living in US/Canada! :D

The wait for the casting announcement(s) is killing me. I have hope it's going to be good.

This is good for those outside the U.S/Canada and Netflix since we can't get CBS All Access, Netflix is now available pretty much everywhere. TOS and TNG in particular still have reruns in many countries, always been a very globalised franchise so this makes a lot of sense for Netflix.

Fuck yes!
I was wondering how I was going to be able to watch the new show in France without having to turn to piracy. Glad they are actually going to give us a decent option for once.

With this announcement and Beyond in a couple of days, my excitement for Trek couldn't be higher.

Edit :
This also means that this show has much higher chances to make it past the first season, a brand new Star Trek show on Netflix is going to kill.

Linkark07

Banned
Good. The lack of Star Trek in Latin America was one of the reasons I got angry with Netflix when they started to block DNS. Time to continue watching Picard and his crew.

The rollout for the new STAR TREK series in Canada will mirror the launch in the U.S. The first episode will premiere on Canada's most watched broadcast network, CTV, on the same night as CBS. All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media's cable networks, Space (in English) and Z (in French), and then later exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media's streaming video-on-demand service.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/32468014/...ve-long-and-prosper-in-canada-with-bell-media

I mean that's actually a step up from what CBS is doing but still.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I wonder if Netflix are co-financing? If this fails on CBS all access in the US, but does well for Netflix will CBS be willing to continue the show while ditching the All Access format?

they're not. this is just a streaming deal from the looks of it. they do the 24 hour thing with CW shows, too.

Confirmation!

Big get for Netflix. Seems like Amazon was getting everything for a while there. (which sucks since Amazon Streaming is near non exisrtant internationally)

daveo42

Banned
CBS streaming service free or what? Them not including US/Canada in the Netflix mix really sucks if the only way to get it is either watch it live or pay to stream one of probably two shows worth watching on CBS.

Edit: Well balls...gotta pay for it. Guess I'm waiting on the new series.

I still can't believe CBS isn't just going to air it on TV in the US.

I'm not american but I think it's a wise decision. The audience for a show like this doesn't pay much attention to network TV anymore (there are exceptions of course), that's why so many genre shows struggle in the ratings. Look at Marvel: Agents of Shield and Agent Carter are disappointments in terms of audience but Daredevil and Jessica jones did huge numbers on Netflix.

I'm not american but I think it's a wise decision. The audience for a show like this doesn't pay much attention to network TV anymore (there are exceptions of course), that's why so many genre shows struggle in the ratings. Look at Marvel: Agents of Shield and Agent Carter are disappointments in terms of audience but Daredevil and Jessica jones did huge numbers on Netflix.

Because they're on netflix.

It's gonna be interesting if Trek is enough to sell subscriptions to a limited streaming service like CBS

SDCowboy

The difference is almost everyone has Netflix. There are only so many subscription services most people are going to be willing or able to pay for. Also, I reckon Star Trek has a relatively old viewer-base. Not running the show on regular TV in the US will likely prove to be a mistake, IMO. But time will tell.

Because they're on netflix.

It's gonna be interesting if Trek is enough to sell subscriptions to a limited streaming service like CBS
Bingo

RPGCrazied

So eventually they will air on Netflix? Really wasn't to keen on subscribing to another video service(CBS All Access), this would be good news if so. I have a Netflix Subscription.

EDIT: And again I read it wrong also. Bah.

Morts

I'll subscribe to CBS's dumb thing because it's Star Trek, but I wish we in the US could just watch it on Netflix as well.

Isn't Comic Con soon? I wonder if we'll hear anything concrete about the new show.

RPGCrazied

Does this

Each Episode of the Highly Anticipated New Series to be Available to Netflix Members Exclusively in All Licensed Territories Within 24 Hours of the U.S. Premiere on CBS

mean that Netflix will get it at some point?

The difference is almost everyone has Netflix. There are only so many subscription services most people are going to be willing or able to pay for. Also, I reckon Star Trek has a relatively old viewer-base. Not running the show on regular TV in the US will likely prove to be a mistake, IMO. But time will tell.

I don't know for sure but I think putting this show on TV would be a garantee for an early cancellation. There isn't much room for this type of sci-fi on TV anymore. The CBS All Access thing doesn't sound like a great option for american fans but as a foreigner I am quite pleased with how they are handling this so far.

Mindwipe

Does this

mean that Netflix will get it at some point?

In the US? No.

I'd imagine that CBS AA will have at least five years exclusivity (and quite possibly life of series + 5 years afterwards), so it won't be going on Netflix before then unless CBS AA closes down.

SDCowboy

I don't know for sure but I think putting this show on TV would be a garantee for an early cancellation. There isn't much room for this type of sci-fi on TV anymore. The CBS All Access thing doesn't sound like a great option for american fans but as a foreigner I am quite pleased with how they are handling this so far.

You know what puts the show in even more danger? Putting it on an obscure subscription service that relatively few have or know exists. ;)

Saw the title from the main page without the last part about the countries and was so excited. Damn, talk about a kick in the fucking nuts.

Looks like I'll have to find other ways to watch the new Star Trek, because there's no way I'm subscribing to that access thing for one show.

Yo-ho.

Kimaka

I was excited for a moment. Goddamnit.

It is Star Trek so I'll subscribe. Just wish it was coming on to streaming services that I already have.

Mindwipe

Until I get clarification I'm hoping Netflix does get the episodes, even if its 24 hours later.

The press release is clear. No.

In the U.S., the new “Star Trek” will launch with a special premiere episode on the CBS Television Network in January 2017. The premiere episode and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the United States exclusively on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

You know what puts the show in even more danger? Putting it on an obscure subscription service that relatively few have or know exists. ;)

Sure, and I would be pissed if I had to susbcribe to that service, but this Netflix partnership is a good omen. If the new show doesn't drive subscriptions to CBS All Access enough now they can fall back on Netflix, assuming the overseas numbers are good enough for them to be interested and they probably will be.

popo

Not officially, but if they signed a huge exclusivity deal for the rest of the world and are paying any of that up front - CBS have to be covering a lot of their costs.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't help but feel that this show is going to be a huge disaster because CBS is locking it behind their own paywall. Hardly anybody is going to even know about it, let alone subscribe for it.

Sad this will likely bury Trek on TV for a long time when this fails horribly and the new movie likely will bomb too with how it's looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom