• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix to air new Star Trek series (and classic!) in all countries except US/Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morts

I can't help but feel that this show is going to be a huge disaster because CBS is locking it behind their own paywall. Hardly anybody is going to even know about it, let alone subscribe for it.

My fear as well, unless they're going to advertise the hell out of it.

There's no way that my dad for instance is going to subscribe to another streaming service unless I go over there and show him where to find it.

xzI9mAy.gif

I can't help but feel that this show is going to be a huge disaster because CBS is locking it behind their own paywall. Hardly anybody is going to even know about it, let alone subscribe for it.

This is where it being on Netflix for the rest of the world gets rather interesting. With All Access, yeah, whether or not the show has a clear impact on their subscriptions is gonna be important. But outside of North America it gets to be another part of Netflix's existing catalogue, given their subscriber count is already plenty ridiculous. It just needs to have enough people to justify being there, rather than to turn a direct profit.

Mind you, could always pull a Game of Thrones and get hugely pirated, driving up people's interest to then actually subscribe.

it'll end one of two ways

1-Netflix gets more eyeballs than the CBS version would and CBS quietly scuttles its service and gives it to Netflix for subsequent seasons (if any).
2-Its a huge success and then every fucking outlet does the same thing and then we've got to have 6 or 7 subs.

i guess it also depends on whether season passes for iTunes/Google/Amazon are offered and how well they do.

As a UK resident, I'm happy its Netflix.

Patryn

They're going to air the first episode on CBS proper, then put the rest of the episodes only on CBS AA.

What is the actual Canada plan? I can't find it

Posted earlier in the thread:

The rollout for the new STAR TREK series in Canada will mirror the launch in the U.S. The first episode will premiere on Canada's most watched broadcast network, CTV, on the same night as CBS. All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media's cable networks, Space (in English) and Z (in French), and then later exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media's streaming video-on-demand service.
http://www.wfmj.com/story/32468014/...ve-long-and-prosper-in-canada-with-bell-media

I mean that's actually a step up from what CBS is doing but still.

GeeTeeCee

I wonder if Netflix are co-financing?If this fails on CBS all access in the US, but does well for Netflix will CBS be willing to continue the show while ditching the All Access format?

I've been curious about this for a while; there's a bunch of shows in international markets that are advertised as Netflix Originals, when it's unclear if Netflix actually contribute to the production of the show (Better Call Saul & Orphan Black are two examples). There must be some reason some of these shows are being promoted by Netflix as their own content.

ricki42

The CBS subscription is $6/month. May have to do that since it doesn't look like it's coming to US Netflix soon. For how long are episodes usually available on CBS AA after they first air?

TyrantII

Fuck off CBS.

Looks like I'll be torrenting it, and co grouting to its failure.

But hey, maybe if the OP tanks they'll leave the fans alone finally.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sounds great for everyone outside US/Canada. I know a few Star Trek fans who will be ecstatic at Netflix support.

McNum

Ooh. That's a lot of Star Trek. I never really got into Deep Space 9. That error will be corrected.

Still, over 700 episodes of Trek. That's beyond binge watch level, even for me. What's good? I know to avoid most of Voyager...

Ooh. That's a lot of Star Trek. I never really got into Deep Space 9. That error will be corrected.

Still, over 700 episodes of Trek. That's beyond binge watch level, even for me. What's good? I know to avoid most of Voyager...

You should definitely prioritize DS9. Best Trek show by a wide margin imho. The first 2 or 3 seasons are not particularly remarkable but they become worth it later.

For the original series and Next Generation, I decided to pick and choose what episodes to watch because there are some really terrible ones here and there. There are many lists online that will detail what episodes to watch.

You should skip Voyager and Enterprise.

You should definitely prioritize DS9. Best Trek show by a wide margin imho. The first 2 or 3 seasons are not particularly remarkable but they become worth it later.

For the original series and Next Generation, I decided to pick and choose what episodes to watch because there are some really terrible ones here and there. There are many lists online that will detail what episodes to watch.

Look up an essential watch list, but please watch Duet in the first series of DS9... DO NOT skip it.

Nudull

Banned
Fuck, for a moment there, I was afraid that all of Trek would get locked behind CBS All Access in the US. I still have a DS9 marathon to finish on Netflix, damn it!

Branduil

Wait, in the US the new Star Trek won't be on TV at all and you'll have to subscribe to CBS dumb service to watch it? This is going to set new records for piracy.

Skip Voyager and season 1 of TNG, except maybe the pilot. Watch everything else.

El Topo

Holy shit. All Star Trek series available? The new series everywhere? Shit, that GAF insider was right. Well, never been happier to eat crow.
Genuinely surprised they went this route, surely a new Star Trek show would've brought in a ton of more money via local deals?

muteki

Wait, in the US the new Star Trek won't be on TV at all and you'll have to subscribe to CBS dumb service to watch it? This is going to set new records for piracy.

I think it will be on TV, but if you are like me and don't get CBS through a cable/satellite subscription and can't get it OTA then you would need to subscribe to their service to watch it.

McNum

I am kind of bummed I missed out on DS9. I made some terrible TV choices when that was on.

As for Voyager, I actually managed to catch "Threshold" when it was aired. For some reason I never really felt like watching that series again after that. ...stupid warp salamanders.
Skip Voyager and season 1 of TNG, except maybe the pilot. Watch everything else.

I will watch the TNG pilot. I can barely remember it, I think it was about some big space jellyfish, or something?

Yen

This is good.

Is it not unusual that the show begins shooting in September and airs in January. Not a long turnaround.

Matt

I think it will be on TV, but if you are like me and don't get CBS through a cable/satellite subscription and can't get it OTA then you would need to subscribe to their service to watch it.
No, just the first episode will air on tv in the US. The rest of the series will be exclusive to All Access.

Patryn

You think wrong. It's the crown jewel that's supposed to push the subscriptions to their streaming service.

This is good.

Is it not unusual that the show begins shooting in September and airs in January. Not a long turnaround.

Possibly for prestige cable/streaming TV, which I suppose this isn't; if anything, it's a bit longer than usual for broadcast TV, which is normally ~2 months between production and air date.

I'm honestly surprised that CBS still has literally nothing besides the new Trek series to drive subscriptions to that audience. AFAIK, the Good Wife spinoff is the only other All Access original they've announced, and that's not exactly targeting the same demographic.

I am kind of bummed I missed out on DS9. I made some terrible TV choices when that was on.

As for Voyager, I actually managed to catch "Threshold" when it was aired. For some reason I never really felt like watching that series again after that. ...stupid warp salamanders.

I will watch the TNG pilot. I can barely remember it, I think it was about some big space jellyfish, or something?

It's mostly good for introducing Q. Also, there's a guest star from the original series in it for one or two scenes which I thought was pretty cool.

I don't recommend skipping season one of TNG because there are important episodes in it, but if you do watch the ones I refer to in this post. They are important because it sets up multiple situations/events/characters in the future of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom