• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix to air new Star Trek series (and classic!) in all countries except US/Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
If you skip Season 1 of star trek TNG, a lot of Data's characterization goes out the window, and the entire Tasha Yar subplot of the series would make little sense.

You'd also lose out on beardless Riker, aka best Riker.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As someone who adores Star Trek but don't have easy access to it here in Japan, this is fantastic news. I'm so in. Can't wait for the new show.

is star trek popular outside of the US?

Well I mean it's the most popular television show in the world, it's certainly very popular in Europe. It has the biggest conventions out of any franchise in the world, even Star Wars. It was shown in a lot of countries, especially TNG due to how it was syndicated IIRC.

Sephzilla

If you skip Season 1 of star trek TNG, a lot of Data's characterization goes out the window, and the entire Tasha Yar subplot of the series would make little sense.

You'd also lose out on beardless Riker, aka best Riker.

pskmlOp.gif

is star trek popular outside of the US?

I can't speak for every country but looking at the overseas box-office numbers for the Trek movies over the years and they are pretty pathetic compared to other Hollywood blockbusters but the Abrams films have been doing better and better.

I'm a huge sci-fi fan but I never saw anything Star Trek related until I was at least 17 because the franchise was just a huge joke here in France but it seems to be a little bit more respected now. When I studied in the UK for a year it was pretty big over there if I recall correctly, I was surprised and that's when I decided to give it a shot.

Following the Abrams films I could see a lot of people around me who never watched the old shows try this one on Netflix if it gets good word of mouth.

I can't help but feel that this show is going to be a huge disaster because CBS is locking it behind their own paywall. Hardly anybody is going to even know about it, let alone subscribe for it.

That's my fear, too. I really have no idea what they're thinking with this idea. Do they have enough confidence in Trek that they think it can actually bolster All Access subs? The reboot has been successful and all, but still, I just can't imagine they think the brand is strong enough to do that.

LordRaptor

When I studied in the UK for a year it was pretty big over there if I recall correctly, I was surprised and that's when I decided to give it a shot.

Star Trek in the UK historically got what is a great timeslot on BBC2 for kids and students, which was the 6.20 - 7.00 slot right after The Simpsons. Other alumni of that timeslot include Quantum Leap, Buffy and Sliders.

SpaceHorror

Misread this earlier as US getting it on Netflix.

Thanks for ruining my day, OP. :(

btw, does CBS have an app on Xbox One or PS4 for their service?

Star Trek in the UK historically got what is a great timeslot on BBC2 for kids and students, which was the 6.20 - 7.00 slot right after The Simpsons. Other alumni of that timeslot include Quantum Leap, Buffy and Sliders.

The memories!

Delighted the new show's coming to Netflix here.

CBS well have themselves to blame if the new series is not successful on a audience viewership level. What a way to stab yourself in the foot.

Tanston

EDIT: Misread. The US still needs to use the internets pirating platform.

Fixed that to more accurately reflect reality.

I feel like with this show only being available on a platform (in the US) that nobody uses they are going to unfairly judge the poor ratings and blame the content rather then the delivery channel..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is pretty awesome! As terrible as the Netflix library is here in Sweden (and most other countries) compared to the US, this will do a tiny bit to even that out. Of course, it would be nicer if everyone just got everything. But alas.

I've wanted to become a real Trek geek for awhile now and find a good stardate chronology to watch the entire Canon in - mega binge watch style.

At an episode a day were talking over 2 years viewing (ouch).

Leads to one obvious question - how long are they going to remain on Netflix for? Wouldn't want to get halfway through and find they're being removed from the library.

Even so, this might just tempt me into renewing my Netflix sub. I cancelled because I have a year's Amazon Prime sub and Netflix increased from £5.99 to £7.99.

Patryn

That's my fear, too. I really have no idea what they're thinking with this idea. Do they have enough confidence in Trek that they think it can actually bolster All Access subs? The reboot has been successful and all, but still, I just can't imagine they think the brand is strong enough to do that.

CBS well have themselves to blame if the new series is not successful on a audience viewership level. What a way to stab yourself in the foot.

Put me down as another person who thinks locking Star Trek behind CBS's streaming service is going to hurt this series

This isn't the first time they've done something like this.

If you recall UPN started with Voyager exclusive to it, and that was back when a lot of areas didn't get it as it was a new network.

Of course the major difference is that consumers need to pay for it.

If you recall UPN started with Voyager exclusive to it, and that was back when a lot of areas didn't get it as it was a new network.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's comparable really.

Sephzilla

I see the comparison you're making here but I'm not sure it's apt. When Voyager launched on UPN it already had a pretty solid install base of viewers plus I think at that time it also had WWF SmackDown back when that show was still fairly popular?

On a more personal level of comparison - I actually knew what UPN was when Voyager launched, I didn't even know CBS was doing a streaming service until the new Trek series was announced

Patryn

I see the comparison you're making here but I'm not sure it's apt. When Voyager launched on UPN it already had a pretty solid install base of viewers plus I think at that time it also had WWF SmackDown back when that show was still fairly popular?

Nope. UPN launched (as in the first night of programming for it EVER) with the Voyager pilot.

Smackdown started in 1999. Voyager premiered in 1995, a full 4 years earlier. So Smackdown didn't even come around until Voyager was half over.

BigMack

Locking this behind CBS AA in the US is really dumb. The people who would go seek out an online only Star Trek show are also tech savvy enough to know how to watch it "elsewhere" if its not on Netflix. This show is gonna have piracy levels rivaling GoT.

I wonder if the non US/Canada clause is only related to the "24 hr after it airs on CBS AA" part? Netflix does that in international territories with other shows currently airing but the full season usually becomes available in the US after its finished airing.

Sephzilla

Nope. UPN launched (as in the first night of programming for it EVER) with the Voyager pilot.

Smackdown started in 1999. Voyager premiered in 1995, a full 4 years earlier. So Smackdown didn't even come around until Voyager was half over.

Fuck my memory was way off. Thanks for the correction

Nazo

I really hope this comes to US Netflix after awhile because there is no way in hell I'm forking over money just to watch Trek on CBS's stupid streaming service.

Mrbob

Star Trek tv show won't survive. Should have made a deal for the show to be on Netflix worldwide instead of CBS streaming garbage.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
As a Brit this is fantastic news, coming shortly after getting all the shows too. I've been working my way through DS9 since they put it up and now I have the new show to look forward to when it's done!

Of course they think the brand is strong enough, or else why would they launch it only on All Access?

Krejlooc

Banned
I have an issue of TV Guide from late 94 that is covered with a bunch of UPN/Star Trek Voyager promos announcing the launch date. Voyager was basically UPN's flagship tv series, they were banking on it making the channel popular.

I have an issue of TV Guide from late 94 that is covered with a bunch of UPN/Star Trek Voyager promos announcing the launch date. Voyager was basically UPN's flagship tv series, they were banking on it making the channel popular.

And it launched with 21.3 million viewers (before dropping off considerably, but still). And isn't the pilot going to air on CBS proper?

Star Trek tv show won't survive. Should have made a deal for the show to be on Netflix worldwide instead of CBS streaming garbage.

Every single subscription is straight money for CBS, plus their international deals. It won't take a lot to be successful. It's the same reason why The Good Wife spinoff isn't on the air.

Krakn3Dfx

The idea that I'm going to drop money for a CBS streaming service in addition to Netflix in North America just for a new Star Trek show while pretty much the rest of the world gets it on Netflix.

Spock-Illogical.jpg

Kathian

Banned
Been watching TV but The Offspring is basically the best in the field. Wonderful wonderful episode. And I say that as someone who dislikes a lot of data.

I mean, yes, obviously. My statement is meant as more of a rhetorical one of disbelief that they feel the franchise is strong enough to actually do that.

Of all of the television franchises that you could use to launch a new platform, Star Trek is probably your best bet.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This is massively convenient for me, hopefully they are available in 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom