• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix working on "The Witcher" TV show

Where does it place within the lore? Detailing the events of the books that aren't in the game or just role playing the games or happening after the books and the games?

CloudWolf

Where does it place within the lore? Detailing the events of the books that aren't in the game or just role playing the games or happening after the books and the games?
Sapowski is excited for the show, so that pretty much confirms it's based on the events in the books. Exactly where it takes place isn't certain, could be an adaption of the Saga (Blood of Elves to Lady of the Lake) or the shorts story collections.

One thing it will definitely not be is a show based on the games, so if you've only played the games, you go in fresh (considering the events in the books are only referenced in the games, not actually portrayed).

Idris Elba as Geralt.

But Sapkowski is involved so this will never happen.
I'm having a very hard time imagining Idris Elba with long white hair.

The books are NOT bad at all.
Eh they are mediocre at best. The world and characters work much better in a loosely connected narrative than a sequential story. There's not even much witchering done in the saga and Sapowksi chose more and more annoying perspectives to deliver it.
4 books in and every book being larger than the previous the last thing I want to do is question the narrator.

TheXbox

I wonder how they adapt the short stories. Like, the first two seasons are anthologies, and then the later seasons are serialized?

Kumquat

Something else I wonder. If this does well would Netflix also go in for a Cyberpunk 2077 series once that game goes live?

CloudWolf

I wonder how they adapt the short stories. Like, the first two seasons are anthologies, and then the later seasons are serialized?

If they do both, I'd imagine it'd be a lot like Hannibal, where the first season was a 'villain of the week'-type show and the rest of the seasons were serialized. That said, I doubt they'll do both and just do either a show about the short stories or a show about the saga.

Accoun

Well the movie turned into a series now (I don't think they'd do both) and he was talking about actors so it's likely the series would be Live Action.
Talking from memory, but I remember reading that movie was supposed to be one of those "real actors in completely CG environments" things. Not sure if a TV show would have enough budget for that, though.

I'm having a very hard time imagining Idris Elba with long white hair.

thor-ragnarok-idris-elba-01-670-380.jpg

Real-talk though. Ya'll need to never be let anywhere near a casting agency. Some truly dreadful suggestions in this thread. :p (No, I'm not talking about Idris, haha.)

If it's animated they 200% need Doug Cockle to return as Geralt. That's the only way to go.

Anyways, looking forward to it. I hope they do the Witcher right!

frontovik

Banned
Well, Netflix is okay... (would've preferred HBO) Also, I'd prefer animation over live-action any day.

Hopefully they don't fuck it up.

TheXbox

If they do both, I'd imagine it'd be a lot like Hannibal, where the first season was a 'villain of the week'-type show and the rest of the seasons were serialized. That said, I doubt they'll do both and just do either a show about the short stories or a show about the saga.
At the very least I think it's safe to assume they'll be adapting the short stories. Netflix Poland posted the first sentence of The Last Wish on their Twitter: https://twitter.com/netflixpl/status/864786433013415937

studyguy

The book series is super pulpy and I love it.
Thank the lord that I was born in a time where nerdy ass fantasy titles were being adapted left and right. I'm gonna love this.

Hope it's more like the book and less like the game, there are a ton of great scenes in the books.

tfw we'll never get this far

Stormlight Archives is better fantasy. Sad nobody picked that up yet.

Mistborn already has film rights out there as of 2016 iirc. Sanderson probably won't fuck with Stormlight for a while in those rights. Last I heard Stormlight had an animated film set about 2 years back though.

It's not like Netflix doesn't have its share of R-rated original shows, though.

Even some of the Marvel stuff features plenty of gore and sex scenes. It's not like Netflix would have any issues portraying anything from The Witcher series

Top Bottom