• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

Big Mario fanboy right here so i am definitely pumped for any new Mario game, but i think that graphically speaking it's not what i'd call a looker from that tiny glimpse today. I was wishing that i'd be blown away... silly me.
Are you sure? Seems to look pretty great to me.
By "it's not what I'd call a looker" it sounds like you're calling it ugly, no?
Don't see ugly textures, low poly character models, or poor lighting anywhere.
The animations were pretty excellent too.

I don't get the hype for a 64 style game. 3D world and 3D land were the much much better platformers and the true Mario 3D games.

There's room for a more laid back exploratory game but it shouldn't be at expense of the real Mario platformers and I think it would be better with different IP.

I don't get the hype for a 64 style game. 3D world and 3D land were the much much better platformers and the true Mario 3D games.

There's room for a more laid back exploratory game but it shouldn't be at expense of the real Mario platformers and I think it would be better with different IP.
We won't know for sure til we get a better look at the game/actually play it ourselves, but I don't see why we can't have both. The two shots in the trailer indicated to me that we'll be getting a game that seems to have both laid back and open ended sections AND more traditional platforming.

Instro

They can do both in one game.

I want to live in a world where y'all can move on from Mario 64's camera controls and level design.

Amen. Mario and Sonic are at their best when they're obstacle courses, that is what they're rooted in. Open world is most likely going to come at the cost of tightly designed platforming. Besides, now with Yooka-Laylee coming out, there's no need for another adventure/collectathon.

pixelation

Are you sure? Seems to look pretty great to me.
By "it's not what I'd call a looker" it sounds like you're calling it ugly, no?
Don't see ugly textures, low poly character models, or poor lighting anywhere.
The animations were pretty excellent too.

What i mean to say is... it doesn't look like there is a generational difference between 3D World and this seemingly new title. It doesn't look bad but it also doesn't look that much better than M3DW... if at all.

Looking at these clips, I'm pretty sure these both take place in the same location / level.

- The frozen/ice imagery is common in both.

- The building far in the distance in the first clip looks a lot like the building on the left hand side in the second clip which would mean you travel around it at some point (the horizontally layered stonework in the brick helps hint at this.)

-The ground in both clips is the same reddish brown color.

I'm not sure what this says about the structure of the game, but this one area itself shows quite a bit of visual/ environmental variation.
That does not take place in the same level. One you can see an objective, obstacles. The other you dont. The city one is obviously a HUB. Look at the left where the umbrella is and purple arrows. Thats like a spot you talk to a NPC or get i formation from.

What i mean to say is... it doesn't look like there is a generational difference between 3D World and this seemingly new title. It doesn't look bad but it also doesn't look that much better than M3DW... if at all.

It looks noticeably better. I don't believe for one second that this is possible on the Wii U.

Too many 2d Mario fans wanting 3D Mario to become 2d Mario :S

I'm not sure you understand the difference between 3D and 2D.

Gleethor

They should call it Super Mario Switchty Four.

What if this Mario shown is as much of a new game as the "demo" Zelda shown with Wii U at E3 2011?

Then they would've made it look way more impressive. It's clear that this is an early glimpse at an actual game, not some tech demo.

Kinsei

Banned
What if this Mario shown is as much of a new game as the "demo" Zelda shown with Wii U at E3 2011?

They said that video was a tech demo (and it was obviously not a new Zelda, if it was real then it would have been a TP remake). If this was a tech demo then I think Nintendo would come out and say it

MagnesD3

It looks noticeably better. I don't believe for one second that this is possible on the Wii U.

2d mario fans want 3d mario to play like 2d mario thats what I understand...

EAD Tokyo has obviously been working on this game for a long time now. And unlike the Zelda team they don't take over 5 years to make a game. Their new 3D Mario game will be out holiday 2017 at the latest.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

No, he's right.

Fans got used to less linear gameplay in 3D Mario titles, which were a bit like action-adventure games. The Galaxy titles changed that a bit but still kept the essence of 3D Mario, and they were brilliant games.

Then 3D Land and World came out and they were nothing like what people considered 3D Mario.

You need to understand that 3D Land and 3D World don't satisfy everybody. There's basically 2 (or 3 depending on your view of Galaxy 1/2) different strains of 3D Mario games, and not everyone is satisfied by it turning into New Super Mario Bros. I'm not.

If you want linear 3D Mario that plays like 2D Mario (right down to a run button and being locked in 8 directions), then say you do. I sure don't and I'm cautiously optimistic this game will return to the style of the first four 3D Marios.

RagnarokX

That does not take place in the same level. One you can see an objective, obstacles. The other you dont. The city one is obviously a HUB. Look at the left where the umbrella is and purple arrows. Thats like a spot you talk to a NPC or get i formation from.

If you look past the town you can see the ruins from the 2nd section behind them. When the clip of the 2nd section begins, Mario is turning right and the camera is turning right with him. The 2nd section is perpendicular to the first section.

ci3EOyBl.jpg

full size

Look past the town in the middle and you can see the ruins. Tall stone wall with fancy carvings and an elevated platform. Also note that you cannot see the sun and it is lighting the town from the right side off-camera. In the distance is the moon and a column of light that likely represents a star or a goal pole.

zLvJlXHl.jpg

Now we get here and Mario is turning right and the camera is following him. We are now at the ruins seen in the distance of the first scene. The sun is directly ahead, meaning we are facing right of the first scene. The goal and the moon we saw would be to the left, which is the direction the level heads in after Mario passes this pit. It dead-ends straight ahead and there is stuff to do on top of the platform to the left, with a line of coins leading up the wall for you to collect as you go up it.

The level so far is laid out like this:
6dmMDvOl.jpg

Also, note in the first scene that you can see icicles hanging from the wires connecting the poles and the fountain is frozen. It's definitely ice.

With a unified development platform there's theoretically time and resources to do both types of games since they no longer need to divide Mario games between two platforms. I think people are forgetting this when it comes to the Switch.

Personally I'm not one of those people pining for Mario 64-2 (though I admit one of my major gripes with the N64 by the end of its life was that that game never happened) but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm not the tiniest bit excited by the idea of dropping Mario into larger, elaborate levels in the 64/Sunshine style and letting players jump, run and explore every nook and cranny at their leisure. We haven't had that "type" of Mario experience in over a decade and I'd like to see how Nintendo would approach that with new blood and experience under its belt.

No, he's right.

Fans got used to less linear gameplay in 3D Mario titles, which were a bit like action-adventure games. The Galaxy titles changed that a bit but still kept the essence of 3D Mario, and they were brilliant games.

Then 3D Land and World came out and they were nothing like what people considered 3D Mario.

You need to understand that 3D Land and 3D World don't satisfy everybody. There's basically 2 (or 3 depending on your view of Galaxy 1/2) different strains of 3D Mario games, and not everyone is satisfied by it turning into New Super Mario Bros. I'm not.

If you want linear 3D Mario that plays like 2D Mario (right down to a run button and being locked in 8 directions), then say you do. I sure don't and I'm cautiously optimistic this game will return to the style of the first four 3D Marios.

What you call 3D Mario essence was never the essence of a Mario game in 3D. 3D land and 3D world are. They just ran against some players expectations.

I want a linear 3D Mario game in the style of 3D world, but with controls more in line of Mario 64. Because I'm a fan of platforming games.

What I don't care for is grandiose bombastic "epic" presentation that a lot of people seem to need to appreciate a game.

With a unified development platform there's theoretically time and resources to do both types of games since they no longer need to divide Mario games between two platforms. I think people are forgetting this when it comes to the Switch.

I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
What you call 3D Mario essence was never the essence of a Mario game in 3D. 3D land and 3D world are. They just ran against some players expectations.

I want a linear 3D Mario game in the style of 3D world, but with controls more in line of Mario 64. Because I'm a fan of platforming games.

What I don't care for is grandiose bombastic "epic" presentation that a lot of people seem to need to appreciate a game.

I'd be perfectly happy with that.

The first four 3D Mario titles and four out of six had adventure elements, and the first two were extremely non-linear. If that's not essence I don't know what is. You can't blame us for saying that 3D Land and World are just 2D Mario in 3D, and not what we have come to expect (or for many of us, want). No, I don't want a run button in 3D Mario, it felt anachronistic.

I'm glad that the standard 3D Land and World camera at the very least is gone and this might trend a bit closer to the earlier 3D Mario's.

Kurt

If you look past the town you can see the ruins from the 2nd section behind them. When the clip of the 2nd section begins, Mario is turning right and the camera is turning right with him. The 2nd section is perpendicular to the first section.

ci3EOyBl.jpg

full size

Look past the town in the middle and you can see the ruins. Tall stone wall with fancy carvings and an elevated platform. Also note that you cannot see the sun and it is lighting the town from the right side off-camera. In the distance is the moon and a column of light that likely represents a star or a goal pole.

zLvJlXHl.jpg

Now we get here and Mario is turning right and the camera is following him. We are now at the ruins seen in the distance of the first scene. The sun is directly ahead, meaning we are facing right of the first scene. The goal and the moon we saw would be to the left, which is the direction the level heads in after Mario passes this pit. It dead-ends straight ahead and there is stuff to do on top of the platform to the left, with a line of coins leading up the wall for you to collect as you go up it.

6dmMDvOl.jpg

Also, note in the first scene that you can see icicles hanging from the wires connecting the poles and the fountain is frozen. It's definitely ice.

Agree, something i told before that this is the same level.
But your visuals are making it much more clear.

Still could be a open world game...

There is also no UI interface yet.... (hiding the large worldmap?)

I'll need a Wii U? Sigh.
The only reason I say that is because they've only ported one 3D Mario game and that was 64 to the DS. 3D World doesn't seem like it needs to be ported, especially with this new Mario game coming.

Now, the Switch could have Wii U BC through software emulation or VC of sorts.

ci3EOyBl.jpg

full size

zLvJlXHl.jpg

6dmMDvOl.jpg

Where is the moon at?

edit: nvm.

Hmm idk

ramparter

Banned

ci3EOyBl.jpg

full size

zLvJlXHl.jpg

6dmMDvOl.jpg

When I sw the trailer I was like, ok two different levels. You are right though, past the town we see the other section. You are wrong though, those two settings dont connect, ergo there's only one explanation. This isn't a game level, it's a demo level, like Yoka Laylee toybox, they just put up something for the video. Full stop.

RagnarokX

When I sw the trailer I was like, ok two different levels. You are right though, past the town we see the other section. You are wrong though, those two settings dont connect, ergo there's only one explanation. This isn't a game level, it's a demo level, like Yoka Laylee toybox, they just put up something for the video. Full stop.

What do you mean they don't connect? Mario just keeps going forward past the town, climbs onto the ruins, and turns right. There's nothing preventing that.

I do agree this level is unfinished though. The coin rings appear to be in the wrong spot or that platform is supposed to be moving, and those purple arrows above the umbrella look like a debug thing that won't be there in the final game.

Peléo

No, I don't want a run button in 3D Mario, it felt anachronistic.

I understand your distaste towards the run-button: you associate them with 2D Mario games, so you see them as an indicator the game will be closer do the NES/SNES Marios instead of N64/GC.

However, I think this is a mistake. You are overlooking all the movement and transversing options a run button would add. They are one of many the reasons people love Mario 64. The run button would only enhance even more this aspect of the gamplay.

The first four 3D Mario titles and four out of six had adventure elements, and the first two were extremely non-linear. If that's not essence I don't know what is. You can't blame us for saying that 3D Land and World are just 2D Mario in 3D, and not what we have come to expect (or for many of us, want). No, I don't want a run button in 3D Mario, it felt anachronistic.

I'm glad that the standard 3D Land and World camera at the very least is gone and this might trend a bit closer to the earlier 3D Mario's.

I'd call it more of an evolution of the classics, and more in line with Mario's roots and essence than 64 and Sunshine. Taking of the nostalgia goggles and what Mario 64 did to 3D gaming, it's a rather weird and experimental Mario game. I welcome some more openness sure, as long as most of the game is more about platforming rather than adventuring, for lack of a better word. They already have Zelda for that.

orioto

Good Art™
About that debate i was thinking, long time ago, that indeed mario 64 wasn't a proper 3D mario, but rather an adventure spin off. So Mario Galaxy/3D World are more 3D marios

But i have to admit Mario 64 became a genre in itself somewhat and it's normal people want more of it, it's as legit. It's nice if both can coexist! I'm pretty sure that game will try to mix them.

Originally Posted by Cindi Mayweather
What's the likelihood of an Mario 3D World being ported to NS?

I'd say the chances are high considering how much Nintendo is emphasizing local on-the-go multiplayer, which fits Mario 3D world perfectly. If anything, this new Mario is puzzling since its camera would only allow for single-player.

Haganeren

Amen. Mario and Sonic are at their best when they're obstacle courses, that is what they're rooted in. Open world is most likely going to come at the cost of tightly designed platforming. Besides, now with Yooka-Laylee coming out, there's no need for another adventure/collectathon.

So because there is one we shouldn't have another ?

Of course we want ! I love that kind of Mario (even if it's not "like" the 2D serie... And i honestly doesn't care) so i want a lot of them, what does "need" even mean in this case.

3D Land was horrible too... It's good 3D World existed to rectify that.

Hakai

People forget that the main core of Mario 64 was the movement, and so far this game shows it is nailing that right.

Luigiv

The only reason I say that is because they've only ported one 3D Mario game and that was 64 to the DS. 3D World doesn't seem like it needs to be ported, especially with this new Mario game coming.

Now, the Switch could have Wii U BC through software emulation or VC of sorts.

Nope, emulation would simply not be possible. Switch will not be anywhere near powerful enough to emulate Wii U, and the change in architecture makes hardware BC an impossibility too. It's either a proper port or nothing.

takriel

Camera behind Mario game >>>> Fixed camera Mario game

Top Bottom