• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

I would love to see a new metroid game, but an actual mario 64 style game on the Switch might actually get me to buy the console. Probably more than any other game that Nintendo could put out.

So because there is one we shouldn't have another ?

Of course we want ! I love that kind of Mario (even if it's not "like" the 2D serie... And i honestly doesn't care) so i want a lot of them, what does "need" even mean in this case.

3D Land was horrible too... It's good 3D World existed to rectify that.

I hope they both do very different things, but whatever the next Mario is, I'm sure it'll be good.

hahaha we've seen what? 10 sec of footage?

But look how Mario moves faster and more dynamic than 3D world and Galaxy.

Yeah, it looks very smooth and fluid, I love it.

Business

I don't get the hype for a 64 style game. 3D world and 3D land were the much much better platformers and the true Mario 3D games.

There's room for a more laid back exploratory game but it shouldn't be at expense of the real Mario platformers and I think it would be better with different IP.

Amen.

Breath of the wild looks fucking phenomenal and the new 3d mario showed a mario running around in a day of the dead setting while doing a triple jump. Plese bring me 25 copies of each

Breath of the wild looks fucking phenomenal and the new 3d mario showed a mario running around in a day of the dead setting while doing a triple jump. Plese bring me 25 copies of each

Plus it seems like they're refining Splatoon further and making Mario Kart 8 even better. So far in terms of games the Switch is so, so much stronger than the Wii U or 3DS at reveal.

Shining

PWoCj17.jpg

You heard it here first, folks.

Plus it seems like they're refining Splatoon further and making Mario Kart 8 even better. So far in terms of games the Switch is so, so much stronger than the Wii U or 3DS at reveal.

Ah yes, it's a clear break from the Wii U. The reveal for Wii U was horrible and they misjudged the excitement a new super mario bros game would give to people. A new 3D mario and zelda are always THE games people want to see in their new systems. Really Happy that the NS is getting both fairly soon.

JnFnRu

Whats with the transparent structures everywhere???

Also looks like a lot of sky and clouds, could be a Galaxy successor?

wrowa

Yeah, but I like the 3d games too. Just not when they're more focused on shitty exploration.

Well, that's too bad for you. But I think that people who have waited for a new "open" Mario game since Sunshine are allowed to get a new game once in a while as well. :p

Personally, I imagine it'll be closer to the Galaxy games anyway, which were pretty straight-forward and focused on platforming as well. Although I usually prefer the more platform focused games as well, I'd gladly welcome a new exploration based Mario, though. It's been a long, long time since we got one of those. But, alas, I don't think this is that.

But who knows! We really don't know anything yet.

Haganeren

The New Super Mario/Mario Maker series won't disappear, methinks.

All i want for this serie is to reinvent itself... Just like Mario World with Super Mario Bros 3.

Change those graphics, try something new, new mechanics, a new move for Mario i don't know... Just something to differenciate this one to the others ones...

So Andre points out the crazy cap store that might suggest a hat store that lets you swap Mario's hat and I think he might be on to something.

I noticed in the footage for this game, Mario's cap loosely fits his head and is more affected by gravity than normal. Look at the part were he does a triple jump.
I hope they are focusing on crazy hats/powerups, the Cherry was the best thing in 3D World.

Adam_802

Cool, I hope it's an actual real 3D Mario game. Give me a free rotating camera(a la Sunshine), a Hub World(a la Peach's Castle, Delfino Plaza), and different Stages to enter. No 3D World stuff, I know some people like that game, but it's not what a 'true' 3D Mario game should be mechanically.

And please. no Galaxy 3. I know many like Galaxy 1/2, but I actually hated Galaxy. Thought it was inferior to Sunshine(my favorite) in every way. Less memorable setting, music, story, etc. Just didn't have the same great VIBE to it that Sunshine has. I'm kinda sad that they made a Galaxy 2 and never bothered to play it after hearing its pretty much the same as G1. They need to go a new direction for this new Mario.

daakusedo

So Andre points out the crazy cap store that might suggest a hat store that lets you swap Mario's hat and I think he might be on to something.

I noticed in the footage for this game, Mario's cap loosely fits his head and is more affected by gravity than normal. Look at the part were he does a triple jump.

It's interesting because in that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=digqNP0G7vE#t=1h45m55s you have Nico Augusto announcing mario run in advance and he talks about how mario clothes gonna be redesigned.
So maybe this possible feature is for both games. And while I heard him talked about open world mario since this summer, today in a gameblog video he clearly said it's what he was told. I really wonder now because for the few we got, it doesn't seem that open.

entremet

The first four 3D Mario titles and four out of six had adventure elements, and the first two were extremely non-linear. If that's not essence I don't know what is. You can't blame us for saying that 3D Land and World are just 2D Mario in 3D, and not what we have come to expect (or for many of us, want). No, I don't want a run button in 3D Mario, it felt anachronistic.

I'm glad that the standard 3D Land and World camera at the very least is gone and this might trend a bit closer to the earlier 3D Mario's.

I'd argue that adventure stuff was the most boring aspects of those games.

The pure platforming is where those game shined. The Galaxy games were basically an extension of the Fluddless levels of Sunshine. Those levels were amazing in comparison to the bigger open worlds.

sinxtanx

Ha, 11 minutes for 6 seconds of footage. I love GameXplain

Has anyone discussed the very nice looking reflectivity on the bullet bill? The visuals look quite a bit improved over 3DW.

That analysis was more pleasant than I thought it would be.

Effects have very nice sheen to them, and I'm in love with the subtle squash/stretch animation flairs on Mario. The environment itself has a lot of "grounding" details like Sunshine did, like the ice on the cables, the bus stop, carpets hanging etc.

The purple things are obviously grape flavoured Doritos.

Has anyone discussed the very nice looking reflectivity on the bullet bill? The visuals look quite a bit improved over 3DW.

the more i look at this clip the more i feel like they chose it because of the bullet bill. that combined with Mario dashing past is a great image and kind of tugs at those feels i had on SMB World 8 way back in 1987

The pure platforming is where those game shined. The Galaxy games were basically an extension of the Fluddless levels of Sunshine. Those levels were amazing in comparison to the bigger open worlds.
Say what you want about the adventure elements, but the early 3D Marios also shined with how much maneuverability Mario had! Triple jumps, flips, and more made Mario a blast to control, and it seems to be the same case here.

Hakai

Mario 64 isn't great because of the adventure elements (it barely has any). It is great because the movement is fluid and spot on. All the levels are like toyboxes where you can play with Mario movesets.

Mario 64 isn't great because of the adventure elements (it barely has any). It is great because the movement is fluid and spot on. All the levels are like toyboxes where you can play with Mario movesets.

I disagree it barely had any. It's the only 3D Mario where you can grab just about any star at any time, short of levels you haven't unlocked. And those stars can even be grabbed in a variety of ways, largely because of the moveset as you touch on

Hakai

I disagree it barely had any. It's the only 3D Mario where you can grab just about any star at any time, short of levels you haven't unlocked. And those stars can even be grabbed in a variety of ways, largely because of the moveset as you touch on

How is that an adventure element?

He is less linear, I do agree with that, but not a huge world conected like Sunshine.

How is that an adventure element?

He is less linear, I do agree with that, but not a huge world conected like Sunshine.

Sunshine's world is only superficially connected. Hell, you could argue Mario 64's is just as connected, with the paintings just being doors.

And I'm not sure having the ability to freeroam and explore isn't adventure-based...unless you're talking strictly by adventure-game standards? Then yea, sure--but I think "adventure" can be applied a bit broader than that

MagnesD3

I have a bit more hope it will play like traditional open 3D Mario after that gameexplain video, really hope Nintendo comes through

Aldric

No, they have better platforming than the other games too, and I care more about platforming than anything else

Platforming has evolved to mean more than just jumping on moving targets above bottomless pits. We can't all stay stuck in 1985. It'd be cool if you didn't try to ignore the massive influence Mario 64 had on the genre and stopped treating it like some sort of historical mistake. What a weird mindset.

Puruzi

Banned
Platforming evolved to mean more than just jumping on moving targets above bottomless pits. We can't all stay stuck in 1985. It'd be cool if you didn't try to ignore the massive influence Mario 64 had on the genre and stopped treating it like some sort of historical mistake. What a weird mindset.

I really don't give a fuck about 64 anymore. I enjoyed it when I played it but I like the last 2 3D Marios significantly more than the others. You're telling me we can't stay in the past and yet everyone's saying that it needs to go back to how 64 was. I like the latest games buddy.

I don't get the hype for a 64 style game. 3D world and 3D land were the much much better platformers and the true Mario 3D games.

There's room for a more laid back exploratory game but it shouldn't be at expense of the real Mario platformers and I think it would be better with different IP.
It is probably true that 3D world/etc are purer "Mario" games.

But the 64/Galaxy style are substantially better video games in my opinion.

georly

People are losing their minds over a 2/3 second tease.

a 3 second tease can tell you a lot about a game if you care to give it a look. Since we know nothing about it, all we can do is look at evidence and see what it points to. No harm in that.

Hakai

Sunshine's world is only superficially connected. Hell, you could argue Mario 64's is just as connected, with the paintings just being doors.

And I'm not sure having the ability to freeroam and explore isn't adventure-based...unless you're talking strictly by adventure-game standards? Then yea, sure--but I think "adventure" can be applied a bit broader than that

On SM64 there is no visible connections between levels, while in Sunshine is one big map. You can see other areas of the game in all levels. Sunshine also relys more on the story aspect.

I do think Sunshine is different than SM64, and I think the "adventure" in SM64 is not a mechanic per se but a thing the player generates in their minds, while Sunshine try to create that sense of an adventure. Hope that made some sense.

It is probably true that 3D world/etc are purer "Mario" games.

Can't agree with that. People always like to say how 3D World is more focused on the platforming than SM64.

How can it be more focused when you have a reduced moveset?? The difference is that in SM64 everything can be a platform and you can interact with, while in 3D world they specify what is a platform to streamline the experience.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Whats happened to the woman in the OP picture? Half of her has been badly cropped onto the other half of her, her collar doesn't match up...

Top Bottom